• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
Un-Go 1-11 End
A very entertaining mystery show with supernatural elements and a heapful of pretentiousness.

The final case is an example of an awesome mystery that leaves very underwhelming feelings because the motivation behind it is so lame.

Gbraga

I saw some gifs of Shingeki no Bahamut, and it seems like there are some really damn well animated scenes, is it worth watching?

Narag

I saw some gifs of Shingeki no Bahamut, and it seems like there are some really damn well animated scenes, is it worth watching?

It has some mixed reception. Without a doubt, the early 4-5 episodes are then reception revolves how much one can stomach a transition from something very Pirates of the Caribbean to something traditionally more high fantasy.

Gbraga

It has some mixed reception. Without a doubt, the early 4-5 episodes are then reception revolves how much one can stomach a transition from something very Pirates of the Caribbean to something traditionally more high fantasy.

Is the animation that good throughout the whole thing or if I saw some gifs, I probably saw everything it has to offer on that front?

Yes very much so, some people here don't like the second half as much but I enjoyed the whole thing.

Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers 2

Laying it on a bit thick with Fremy being the Brave Killer so it's 95% chance not her. If we go by Agatha Christie logic the most likely Brave Killer is the princess herself as she was introduced before the concept of a Brave Killer was brought into the show meaning the audience is very unlikely to suspect her.

Overall another enjoyable episode though it spent a bit longer setting up the two leads, for a 12 episode show about a group of 7 we've only just met 4 of them at the end of this episode. Hopefully by the end of next week we'll get the full team together.

Liked the action scene though the character scenes were a bit too cliche which combined with the overly designed outfits might put people off of the show. I think it's worth sticking with at this point.

Narag

Is the animation that good throughout the whole thing or if I saw some gifs, I probably saw everything it has to offer on that front?

IIRC it's pretty good visually throughout aside from maybe the couple episodes outsourced to a Korean studio.

Gangsta - 1

The show is really trying to be Cowboy Bebop, but I think it gets only a quarter of the way there.

The first half contains mostly dialog meant to worldbuild, but is it all so boring. The sex, the violence, the gangs, the police, the whole world even: I've seen this before. And it's been done much better, with actual personality.

The second half isn't much better. There's boring and drab fight scene done in a boring a drab world.

On the other hand, the sign language is a nice touch. Haven't seen that since X:The Movie. I also like the idea of the deaf protag, was hoping he was mute too, though.

Wow Rin-ne might have the laziest new OP I've ever seen in the history of anime. People whined about AC reusing some still images and the jumping animation but at least it present that footage in a different way and had a good song to go with it. The new OP for Rin-Ne is literally 75% the exact same footage from the original OP just in a different order, 15% of it is technically new but mostly just extensions of the old footage adding one or two new characters, and the last 10% is actually new footage mostly focused on the new character who wasn't in the last OP. Combined with the fact the new song is awful and doesn't flow with the animation at all and it's almost unwatchable.

Jarmel

Banned
Charlotte-2
JDubmB8.jpg

This season is going to be good for reaction faces.
I was a more vocal hater of Angel Beats and yet I think this show is a complete step up. It outlined a goal for the show, established overarching mysteries that don't impact the enjoyment of current events, and also has given the audience multiple reasons to be emotionally involved in the proceedings of these events. On top of that, the show is trying to have memorable leads in the form of nu-Lelouch and smug Tomori.
The premise of the show is nothing new but the fleeting time limit of their abilities reminds me of the Topless from Diebuster. There's also elements of Stephen King's Firestarter with the Shop hunting down people with abilities. So far it's worked out pretty well in giving the protagonists a reason for their actions as well as potential danger down the road. Tomori's background gives her ample reason not to socialize with others while also being aware of the danger of the outside world.
The comedic direction has been pretty on point so far in that the teleporting antics are fairly hilarious partially due to the sound effects. Some earlier posts made me worry about tone whiplash but I though the show did a fairly good job of easing the audience into the drama at the end of the episode. The only real sticking point is how happy and cute the sister is in that the staff went a bit overboard with her. I'm relatively sure though that part of this is due to contrast for when the real drama kicks in.

The episode also contained a lot of iconic shots so I'm fairly happy about the direction so far.

Rokka no yuusha - 02
I like the designs of the new characters.

That battle was alright , nowthing great, but nothing bad... i can't wait to see how the 6 brave will be together , because they sure have things i can look forward to , considering how powerfull they are.

Nashetania happy attitude was alright to see , i like the character from all the parts that make it , the excited princess, the one who seek friendships from fellow brave, the one that want to save the people and EVEN the one that understand how you have to make choice and how harsh it is.

So far so good, Rokka no yuusha seems like it'll deliver how the epic.

Charlotte 2

The OP for this is pretty nice. The teleportation guy is hardcore. The scene with the sandwiches made me laugh out loud. The second half was much more serious. I'm digging this a lot.

Cornbread78

Charlotte-2
The only real sticking point is how happy and cute the sister is in that the staff went a bit overboard with her. I'm relatively sure though that part of this is due to contrast for when the real drama kicks in.

Some people already called this out in the OT, and the MC planted the seeds in the closing minutes of this episode. I'm a little scared now, she is a cutie. .

Charlotte 2
The OP for this is pretty nice. The teleportation guy is hardcore. The scene with the sandwiches made me laugh out loud. The second half was much more serious. I'm digging this a lot.

Yeah, now OP is pretty nice.

I'm still debating which is the better of the below though..

https://youtu.be/2o00UFfyIfQ

https://youtu.be/pxlMMWln0oQ

https://youtu.be/kDSzGD8SBAk

Jarmel

Banned
Oh almost forgot, on the notion of Charlotte's OP, I'm not overly fond of it. Mostly because I feel it's a mishmash of too many elements however it does flow very well visually. Motions lead in to other motions creating this feeling of one nonstop piece. I did really like the part at 0:50 where the tempo picks up, as I like when OPs change speed either on the music or visual side. Another example would be the Eureka 7 OP 1. Oh and Sunrise should sue:

lonely

Oh almost forgot, on the notion of Charlotte's OP, I'm not overly fond of it. Mostly because I feel it's a mishmash of too many elements however it does flow very well visually. Motions lead in to other motions creating this feeling of one nonstop piece. I did really like the part at 0:50 where the tempo picks up, as I like when OPs change speed either on the music or visual side. Another example would be the Eureka 7 OP 1. Oh and Sunrise should sue:

Twitter seems to think that it was done by the director of Hataraku Maou-Sama working under a pen name which is interesting to note. Naoto Hosoda needs to get back and make a second season!

Link Man

Banned
All I could think about during the new Rokka was how the strings around the princess's breasts looked like bondage ties.

I'm guessing the knight is the Brave Killer.

Finalow

IIRC it's pretty good visually throughout aside from maybe the couple episodes outsourced to a Korean studio.
and ugly CG

yes, it's a good show. as Narag mentioned it goes from Favaro&company adventures to angels&demons wars but unless you loathe the genre you should like it.

Durararararara!! X2 2

That was one weird episode. It kinda cleared some stuff up though, there's been so many episodes with so many characters that the central plot had been kinda lost for me. I really just tune in to see what these characters are up to now lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Rokka-2
The backgrounds are super nice while the animations in comparison are somewhat lacking. That's not to say that they're IMS/Liden tier yet but I still wish they were a bit better. There obviously is more to the Brave Killer stuff like either the potential Braves were bad people and so she was killing them off to prevent potential problems or it's someone else. I can't remember the exact timeline of the show so I don't know if it could actually be Adlet. They repeatedly show the haggard look he has when he was younger so I'm wondering if he could be a sleeper agent or something.
The show reminds me of Scrapped Princess in a way, in that it's an early 00's sort of traveling adventure show. There's a real sense of exploration partially due to the background work but also due to the slower pace. Hopefully the show maintains this and doesn't go full on action.

Gbraga

Shokugeki no Soma's ending theme is so comfy
COmHQB2.png

It's enough reason to keep watching it, even if I already read quite a bit of the manga.

Symphogear GX 02

I was so excited when it seemed like Genjuro was going out into the field, and then so immensely disappointed when he didn't.

Well if Genjuro fought then it would all be over in one episode, can't have that!

Gangsta - 1

The show is really trying to be Cowboy Bebop, but I think it gets only a quarter of the way there.

Uh, sure you don't mean Black Lagoon?

Taruranto

MAIN CHARACTER SCREAMING LOL SO FUNNY #1

WAT

I actually... liked it? It's not my kind of anime, but there is something refreshing about it. I dunno, you don't see many animu having a direct approach to sox sex and even the female lead looks like she has a brain which is kinda weird for Japan.

If they don't blow the ecchi stuff out of proportions it could be legitimately interesting in the same way B gata H kei was.

CHarlotte - 02

Good opening , nice premise.
First part was funny , second part certainly wasn't.

Man that little sister has an hability isn't she ?..it's obvious that it'll happen at some point.

And does no ones care that you trespass school grounds in another school uniform and start asking questions ??

plot hole ?

Cornbread78

Gate ep.2
Damn, a complete slaughter both with the MC's army and the other lands. That King is a damn douche... You also get a little glimpse of the "nationalism" or plain political side built into the show, but it wasn't over the top and only took a couple seconds. The animation was pretty nice and that scene with the general
littrally getting blown to bits was well done.
Also, first elf girl appears, our MC will be elated!

Rin-ne 14

I complained about the lazy "new" OP but at least their they did a bit of new animation, the "new" ED literally IS the old ED but with a different song that doesn't match the animation at all. I did like the old ED as it was a constantly evolving one as new characters got introduced, but come on this is just horribly cheap.

The episode was pretty funny as Rin-ne generally is, though I'm hoping we're not going to keep seeing these Agetha and Rinne are close for unrelated reasons, and Sakura sees them and gets passive aggressive.

Robotguy

MAIN CHARACTER SCREAMING LOL SO FUNNY #1

WAT

I actually... liked it? It's not my kind of anime, but there is something refreshing about it. I dunno, you don't see many animu having a direct approach to sox sex and even the female lead looks like she has a brain which is kinda weird for Japan.

If they don't blow the ecchi stuff out of proportions it could be legitimately interesting in the same way B gata H kei was.
What is Main Character Screaming Lol So Funny?

Charlotte 2

I know this is anime and anime logic is out there but wouldn't this kind of experiments on people be very illegal, but it seems like these scientists can freely do whatever they want. I mean Human experiments is illegal and these special people don't seem like a unknown phenomenon. I know this anime is trying to be like X-Men but the difference here is that the latter had a more in depth setup for its Worldbuilding by showing that society is actually afraid of these mutants. Which gives the government a reason to detain these mutants or experiment on them and such. In Charlotte it doesn't do that which makes the narrative a bit inconsistent and weak because we don't see how Society feels about them and the media themselves. So when they add the evil Scientist aspect it makes it meh. In my opinion they should of spent the first or second episode to show us a general consensus of what society feels about these individuals with powers. Instead of introducing the characters first, it would definitely help Worldbuilding in a sense. Though they could go back to it though. Now that I think about it all this would be cleared up if the first episode gave us societies view on this subject matter.

Anyway the episode itself wasn't bad and enjoyable for what it was. Teleporter-kun was pretty funny in trying to get some sandwiches. Seeing Nao showing her experimented brother was the first sign of drama, but it wasn't bad. MC trying to be Lelouch is pretty amusing as well.

Just when i think shimoneta couldn't become more awesome... the new girl is voiced by "that" seiryu.
Shimoneta%20-%2002_02.jpg

Surprise "oh yeah"
Is this show going to be my surprise hit of summer ???

Shimoneta - 02

Intresting opening song , but quite inférior to the awesome ending song.
As for the rest, man that was certainly something ....

The random pools results , SOX approved , the mismatch of characters .. the insane stake from the cast as each of them certainly have troubles of their own .. You add some background story to explain this stupid situation and we've got an excellent piece of action complete with a devious cliffanger.
Shimoneta%20-%2002_01.jpg

my li-.... wait what ??
I love it.

Cornbread78

Charlotte 2

I know this is anime and anime logic is out there but wouldn't this kind of experiments on people be very illegal, but it seems like these scientists can freely do whatever they want. I mean Human experiments is illegal and these special people don't seem like a unknown phenomenon. I know this anime is trying to be like X-Men but the difference here is that the latter had a more in depth setup for its Worldbuilding by showing that society is actually afraid of these mutants. Which gives the government a reason to detain these mutants or experiment on them and such. In Charlotte it doesn't do that which makes the narrative a bit inconsistent and weak because we don't see how Society feels about them and the media themselves. So when they add the evil Scientist aspect it makes it meh. In my opinion they should of spent the first or second episode to show us a general consensus of what society feels about these individuals with powers. Instead of introducing the characters first, it would definitely help Worldbuilding in a sense. Though they could go back to it though.

Anyway the episode itself wasn't bad and enjoyable for what it was. Teleporter-kun was pretty funny in trying to get some sandwiches. Seeing Nao showing her experimented brother was the first sign of drama, but it wasn't bad. MC trying to be Lelouch is pretty funny as well.

I think an important part your missing here is that their mother literally sold them to the scientists. I'm not sure if they said, who the scientists worked for, their countries' government or is it a private scientific organization that is doing it. I might wave to watch that segment again to clarify though.

Rokka 2

And here lies before you the corpse of the second episode after the first episode lol. Animation is of course a huge difference. The outfits are still ridiculous, even for the new girl. The new guy isn't that bad but everything just screams like cheap jrpg clothing.

The strongest point of the anime continues to be the lead. I like that he hit it off with the lead lady and is [so far] treating her as an equal which she seems to like.
She's visually annoyed with the mlady knight who wants to protect her like a flower so the conversation she had with the lead about being able to be herself with him wasn't a lie
. Even with romantic rival appearing we all know how it's gonna end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom