• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonely

I saw some future Shimoneta spoilers that made me very happy. I've really enjoyed it so far but I was sold on it just by the title.

I think an important part your missing here is that their mother literally sold them to the scientists. I'm not sure if they said, who the scientists worked for, their countries' government or is it a private scientific organization that is doing it. I might wave to watch that segment again to clarify though.

This is why I would of preferred Worldbuilding in the beginning of the first episode as it would of cleared things up a bit.

ibyea

Banned
You guys are tempting me to check this Shimoneta show out. I usually avoid senseless smut... Is there a plot to this?

*announcer voice* In a world where all forms of sexual expression has been forbidden, two revolutionaries dare to take a stand and perform acts of perverted terrorism.

kewlmyc

Durarara x2 Second Arc 02:

A episode focused on the 3 worst characters in the show, oh boy. Nice seeing how psychotic Mika really is though. At least next episode should make up for it.

Cornbread78

Rokka 2
Alright, I'm sold. The mix of action, adventure and the fantasy world have me won over. I'm not sure why thete are so many complaints about the clothing, it's an anime series first of all and the clothing is very jrpg like, which matches most viewers perception of a jrpg world. The character interactions have all been done pretty well and it keeps leaving you wanting to watch the next episode. ..

Rokka 2
Alright, I'm sold. The mix of action, adventure and the fantasy world have me won over. I'm not sure why thete are so many complaints about the clothing, it's an anime series first of all and the clothing is very jrpg like, which matches most viewers perception of a jrpg world. The character interactions have all been done pretty well and it keeps leaving you wanting to watch the next episode. ..

My only complaint is the female lead's bunny ears, take those off and her outfit works fine for me.

*announcer voice* In a world where all forms of sexual expression has been forbidden, two revolutionaries dare to take a stand and perform acts of perverted terrorism.

Lol so just silliness all around and unashamed smut. Hmmm... May give the series a try tomorrow. Won't hurt to give it a chance.

Cornbread78

Rokka 2
The new guy isn't that bad but everything just screams like cheap jrpg clothing.
Even with romantic rival appearing we all know how it's gonna end.

Lol, all of their clothing screams jrpg! I thought th e same thing after watching all the arguments about it earlier.
We all know how childhood friends are treated in anime relationships, lol.

This is why I would of preferred Worldbuilding in the beginning of the first episode as it would of cleared things up a bit.

Yeah, I'm sure we will get more fill-in on it later, but that was my immediate perception as she was telling the story.

My only complaint is the female lead's bunny ears, take those off and her outfit works fine for me.

True, but it's all about adding a moe factor... lol

Lol, all of their clothing screams jrpg! I thought th e same thing after watching all the arguments about it earlier.
We all know how childhood friends are treated in anime relationships, lol.

Yeah things seemed pretty one-sided from the get go for that new guy lmao. I like the mains' chemistry. I bet that the show won't even go down the romance path though.

Cornbread78

Yeah things seemed pretty one-sided from the get go for that new guy lmao. I like the mains' chemistry. I bet that the show won't even go down the romance path though.

The eye roll body language she did said it all..

I think the listing in MAL says it all...
Genres:
Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Magic, Mystery

I would appreciate something thete, but it doesn't look like they had ad NY intention of adding that to the story.

Working!!! 2

Easily one of the top anime of the season. Shame not many here are watching it. The masochist dude made me giggle, and the rest of the characters are still amazing by themselves. Also I'm genuinely surprised they've actually had some character development on the man-hating girl. Good for them for not retreading the ground that S2 fucked up.

This show would be perfect though if we could also have LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

cajunator

Banned
Saikano OVA

So it turns out it actually wasn't two hours long, it's just that the back of the box and the DVD menu were misleading. Overall it was pretty decent, but it wasn't perfect by any means. My thoughts are as follows:

I'm very glad we finally got an explanation as to why the military had to use Chise when making the ultimate weapon. Honestly, I was expecting to fill this post with a rant about why the logic behind choosing her became even more bizarre due to the OVA introducing a prototype weapon developed from someone already in the military, but the explanation given satisfied me:

Even though there are a few more questions that crop up as a result of this, such as whether the military knew Chise would be a good weapon before they abducted her or if they only found out after the fact, this explanation is better than no explanation.

There are however a few issues I had - it's worth mentioning that the OVA explicitly takes place alongside the main story rather than being an alternate timeline/universe or something like that. The biggest problem is that Mizuki seems like a fairly important character who has a close relationship with Chise, yet we never hear about her in the main series. There are a number of scenes where it feels as if she's just been pasted in, perhaps most obviously in the city-levelling scene which originally happened at the end of episode four (?). In the main series we see this event occur almost in its entirety, which makes the OVA version jarring in comparison because Mizuki intervenes in Chise's actions very heavily, which doesn't seem like something that's unimportant enough to be left out. Another example would be the scene originally at the end of episode two (three?) where Chise tries to run away with Shuji but gets stopped by the military before she can reach the train station. Here Mizuki takes an active role in persuading her to fight alongside them, but again she wasn't there in the original series. This results in the execution being quite awkward, especially given Chise's fondness for Mizuki and her obvious sadness when
she sacrifices herself,
none of which is in the original despite its apparent importance.

This problem leads to another, which is that Chise's close relationship with Mizuki downplays the isolation her character suffers in the original series. Part of the sympathy we have for her is due to the fact that no one can understand her, which Shuji doesn't recognise. The inclusion of Mizuki dilutes this, which in a way makes that aspect of the show less genuine in retrospect.

I also took issue with the amount of nude scenes there were. In the original, there was never any actual full on nudity, despite the issue of sex being fairly prominent. It always seemed to go out of its way to avoid doing so, almost as of it didn't want the weight of such moments to be overshadowed by the nudity itself. Of course, while the nudity wasn't excessive, especially compared to some anime out there, it was noticeably increased from the original series for, as far as I can tell, no real reason. For example, there is a shower scene with Mizuki which lasts all of ten seconds and is completely inconsequential - in the next scene she is in a completely different setting doing something completely different anyway, so they may as well have just cut the shower scene and started from the scene after. Again, this wouldn't be so strange an occurrence had the original series not been so reserved in this regard. There are also a fair few scenes where Chise is nude too, which came off as a little weird to me and again, were completely unnecessary. The only reason I can think of for the inclusion of actual nude scenes is because it's an OVA and they felt like they could get away with it here. They certainly serve no other purpose.

Also, I can't remember if this was in the original or not but I did like this guy's hat:

There was also a tank which had "CHISE! SAVE ME!" graffiti'd on it with a chibi Chise face in the middle of it, but I didn't take a screenshot of that.

Overall, you should probably give this a look if you enjoyed the original series, as it provides quite a bit of background information on what actually happens to Chise over the course of the show and shows us the events of the story from the military's perspective, letting us see exactly what they think of Chise and how they attempt to deal with her not "having the will to fight". Spoiler:
they're assholes
e: Also Shuji's basically not in it at all! Rejoice!

The OVA was definitely a good supplement to the series. Im glad it was made. Definitely it pushed a few limits more than the series, but tame by todays standards.

I think this girl has the best design out of the others.

Im all for elaborate character designs but...how do characters like this do simple things, like sitting or lying down?

Rokka 2

ffBSR5r.jpg

85ppNHT.jpg

Even if the episode had some quality moments the background scenery is just amazing to look at, it looks too good. The episode itself was enjoyable especially seeing Adlet and the princess's interactions. The fight was good enough as well. That cliffhanger though, with Fremy being the Brave killer.

The episode was good, can't wait to see more.

I think I'm gonna hold off on continuing Charlotte. I don't need more of that KEY sister 'LOOK AT ME IM SO FUCKING CUTE'. I'll wait for reactions from people I trust in here to see if I should keep watching later on.

I think I'm gonna hold off on continuing Charlotte. I don't need more of that KEY sister 'LOOK AT ME IM SO FUCKING CUTE'. I'll wait for reactions from people I trust in here to see if I should keep watching later on.

Don't you worry, she is either going to die or get in an accident that will put her in the hospital and make the MC change from being Lelouch.

I'm totally caliing that the new guy in Rokka is going to be the fake brave and evil
The answer is in the opening animation , lol.

Don't you worry, she is either going to die or get in an accident that will put her in the hospital and make the MC change from being Lelouch.

You can't be a lelouch character if you don't have a sister to protect/take care/cherish.

Part_of_the_job.jpg

Link Man

Banned
Rin-ne 14

I complained about the lazy "new" OP but at least their they did a bit of new animation, the "new" ED literally IS the old ED but with a different song that doesn't match the animation at all. I did like the old ED as it was a constantly evolving one as new characters got introduced, but come on this is just horribly cheap.

The episode was pretty funny as Rin-ne generally is, though I'm hoping we're not going to keep seeing these Agetha and Rinne are close for unrelated reasons, and Sakura sees them and gets passive aggressive.

The show is about a guy who operates on a tight budget, after all.

Cornbread78

Yeah Woofy, something up with sos, there was a foreshadowing ominous statement made by the MC right near the end of the episode... This is gonna suck..

Hastati

I'm actually kinda pissed Funi has so many shows this season. I have never been able to get their piece of shit player to work right, and always have to find other means to watch any show they license.

Jarmel

Banned
I totally forgot how totally bullshit that Wave Motion Gun thing was in how we get looked down on upon for using it despite you know, we're the ones being invaded.

Narag

I totally forgot how totally bullshit that Wave Motion Gun thing was in how we get looked down on upon for using it despite you know, we're the ones being invaded.

I think firehawk had a good post on this last week with how Desler sort of got a pass for things and how Starsha pulled the holier than thou card.

Jarmel

Banned
I think firehawk had a good post on this last week with how Desler sort of got a pass for things and how Starsha pulled the holier than thou card.

I understand it's a nuke analogy but it's their fault for the entire damn scenario in the first place. I understand this might be a cultural divide type of thing but yea I had issues with Starsha's attitude in the TV series.

Just I'm starting to watch the movie and the Wave Motion Gun stuff in the intro slightly triggered me.

Narag

I understand it's a nuke analogy but it's their fault for the entire damn scenario in the first place. I understand this might be a cultural divide type of thing but yea I had issues with Starsha's attitude in the TV series.

Just I'm starting to watch the movie and the Wave Motion Gun stuff in the intro slightly triggered me.

For what it's worth, I think it's mentioned all of once in the movie proper and in the context of no longer needing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom