• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

God Eater - Episode 1

Super well directed tripe. Hirao really gets to flex his directing muscles here with very smart use of visual transitions, and some pretty creative camera angles (even for fanservice!). The visuals are also really unique, and it is reminiscent of Kou Yoshinari's animation style where he makes 2D animated stuff look 3D rendered with really detailed shading. He isn't working on this show at all, but I think the influence is obvious. The episode itself was well paced, and did a good job of setting up the narrative and introducing the important characters.

Unfortunately, beyond the artistic merits, the show does very little for me. I have zero interest in God Eater, and this doesn't really change that. The setting is a post-apocalyptic war story which is largely an excuse for team based Monster Hunter action sequences. While the show sells the dread and the detacted militarized atmosphere well, I think it takes itself way too seriously for what is essentially a flimsy concept which doesn't justify it. It wants to be a serious war story, but it's really just just shounen action tale. Trying way too hard to be taken seriously.

Will probably watch another episode just for the direction. (And for Maaya's character to appear.)

Jex

If only Hirao could be freed from making something as deeply boring as God Eater. Talent literally wasting away.

Still, bills being paid etc.

duckroll

Chance of he going to suffer in Tales 2016 TV anime?

Probably zero. Ufotable has a totally different team working on Tales stuff, for the games and the OVAs. Hirao is directing God Eater because he also directed all the OPs for the God Eater games, and the animated short made to promote the first game. Hirao doesn't get involved with most of Ufotable's other stuff. He didn't direct anything in Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night either.

Gbraga

Ok, so I'm on Daisuki to watch God Eater. Why is it free? Is it sad that I'm wary of free stuff instead of being happy it's free?

duckroll

Ok, so I'm on Daisuki to watch God Eater. Why is it free? Is it sad that I'm wary of free stuff instead of being happy it's free?

Everything on Daisuki is free except for the PPV stuff like Gundam Unicorn and Gundam the Origin. The trade off is that you get sub-HD quality and hardsubs.

sonicmj1

God Eater 1

In a walled city where the last remnants of humanity survive against hideous monsters called Titans Aragami, there exists one organization whose members can defeat them: the military God Eaters, with their 3D Maneuvering Gear God Arcs. Today's episode is about one Eren Yeager Lenka Utsugi, who joined the military God Eaters because he really wants to kill the Titans Aragami. He learns that fighting these creatures is much more difficult than he originally thought.

The premise isn't much to write home about, but it's really well directed, as expected from Takayuki Hirao, the director of Kara no Kyoukai 5. Particularly in the first half, there are lots of excellent uses of match cuts and time dilation, giving standard exposition and training sequences a continued momentum through the episode until the action really kicks into high gear. I have a hard time pinning down what it is on the art that makes it so distinct, but it has a very different look from a lot of other shows.

Unfortunately, the plot itself is really standard "group of cool young people fight the bad things and save the world" stuff at this point, so it's hard to tell how the show will hold up over time, production issues aside. I enjoyed it enough to want more.

cj_iwakura

God Eater 1

In a walled city where the last remnants of humanity survive against hideous monsters called Titans Aragami, there exists one organization whose members can defeat them: the military God Eaters, with their 3D Maneuvering Gear God Arcs. Today's episode is about one Eren Yeager Lenka Utsugi, who joined the military God Eaters because he really wants to kill the Titans Aragami. He learns that fighting these creatures is much more difficult than he originally thought.

The premise isn't much to write home about, but it's really well directed, as expected from Takayuki Hirao, the director of Kara no Kyoukai 5. Particularly in the first half, there are lots of excellent uses of match cuts and time dilation, giving standard exposition and training sequences a continued momentum through the episode until the action really kicks into high gear. I have a hard time pinning down what it is on the art that makes it so distinct, but it has a very different look from a lot of other shows.

Unfortunately, the plot itself is really standard "group of cool young people fight the bad things and save the world" stuff at this point, so it's hard to tell how the show will hold up over time, production issues aside. I enjoyed it enough to want more.

To be fair, this is based on a game. I have no idea if it predated AoT, though. I think so.

It's a great game, whether or not it transitions to a show remains to be seen.

Gbraga

Everything on Daisuki is free except for the PPV stuff like Gundam Unicorn and Gundam the Origin. The trade off is that you get sub-HD quality and hardsubs.

Oh, so even if it lists 1080p, the quality isn't really good?

With Daisuki, you get what you pay for.

Damn.

What the fuck, lmao. Ok, nevermind, I don't even think I'll watch this anymore.

John Blade

Finish this entire season in a one day marathon (you know it's very good that you want to watch all of it at once nonstop). I guess the best way to express this season is emotional roller coaster and they're quite a bit of it.

The story take place after season 1 when Emma left William after she have no one to take care off after Kelly pass away from season 1. She felt that leaving William is the best way for both of them because of the complex issue between them which will cause more tension with William and his dad. During Season 2, William still regret losing Emma and feel depress because of this. But this change him quite drastically. He start to work very hard in his work and attending social meetings which he try to avoid in Season 1. Also, he spend more time of taking care of his family's business (which is something he don't really want to in season 1).

Also, the lost of Emma mean Eleanor (the girl who suppose to be William arrange future marriage wife), started to think she might have a chance with William and make her move. This actually could happened as William manage to forget his past feeling with Emma and try to move on and they were about to get marry. This all change when an incident which basically force William to pry open his past feeling with Emma and make him second doubt himself.

For Emma, she manage to find a job as a maid for a mansion after she left. She was trying to forget William as much as she can from her work. Along the season, a lot of things happened to her range from saving another maid from close death to meeting someone who will later be William mother. All of this will challenge her emotion to the point it bring back hurtful memories and make her question herself quite a bit. Along the way, she will meet another man (a butler) in the mansion who is interested in her and might cause some friction.

Basically, season 2 storyline have quite a bit of stuff happening as you're watching. It's pacing is smoother and you don't feel like the story is moving slowly unlike season 1. Not saying season 1 storyline is bad. To me, season 1 storyline is more like building a foundation of the show while season 2 expand greatly. It work quite well to tell the truth for me.

For character development, it expand quite a bit for the main character you're following from the previous season and also they bring in few more new characters. Some of the new characters have great development with them like Dorothea who is Emma's employer who is a strong lady and have a open mind thinking of people. You start to like her a bit when she is on screen. Also, they will be new characters who have very little development in the show like Monica who is Eleanor older sister who is a straightforward woman unlike her younger shy sister. They didn't develop her much in the TV show as I hope for as she feel like she is there when they need someone to balance the mood of the scene (basically when Eleanor in a trouble feeling). I am guessing she is even more develop in the manga and have potential but for now, she isn't much to say really.

For music, it's similar to season 1 style. Classical instrument style music which work well in the previous season is working fine for this season. The opening tune is change and actually better to tell the truth. For the background music, it sound fine and do have emotional punch when use correctly in the right scene. One of the music from the show is call Menuet for EMMA which I put a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjUtnejnpY). This might be one of the better song in this show soundtrack and when use in the proper scene, it help make the scene even more emotional like on the link (https://youtu.be/NSGK3LR7oyo?t=19m49s) Note: might be spoiler for people who didn't watch the show but it's a well done scene. Still, like the music from the show and can be listen outside of the show because of the tune doesn't sound too much of animated.

The animation is like the 1st season but a bit different style because of the different animation team produce this show. To me, it's simple look but match well for the show for some reason really.

Overall, season 2 is actually a better show mostly because it help expand the story quite a bit and develop a much better character development for Emma and William to the point you want them to be together no matter how much pain both have to endure to get there. I also do feel sorry for Eleanor as she will have to suffer even more as her personality is a shy timid which make it even more painful when the bad news hit her. Even so, her conclusion in the show is still a strong one as she become even stronger lady after the incident which help her to move on in her life.

For the series, I think this might be one of my favourite romance anime in my collection. It try not to be like every typical anime romance show which throw in random stuff like most anime. To me, this series, try to keep it simple and real in some way of what romance is. It feel like those romance show you watch on TV but more in real tone like Downton abbey. I guess my taste of romance anime have now change quite a bit and more in mature in a way. For this, I would recommend this anime to people who want some sort of a romance show but without all the anime stuff you see. Also, this might be a good show to people who don't watch anime but like a good romance story as this kind do that well.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Durarara Ten 2
Cat fight between two crazy woman.
Namie still want to bang her brother.
Mika want to eat Celty head and know everything that happen in Ikekuburo...
Yup, this party is getting crazier

Working!!! 2

Masochist ex husbando...
Hmm, Takanashi family sure have it rough.

Rokka 2

Still going to stick with it. I watched this with an old roommate and good friend (every once in a while we meet up to catch up with each other and watch anime and play video games), and I thought the episode was quite boring. I understand it was exposition heavy and needed to happen, but so was the first episode and it managed to be more entertaining. Everything in this episode is so blasé. Some pacing whiplash going on with this episode. Hopefully they can work out their pacing issues going forward.

Charlotte 2

I thought this was a really great episode. It introduced us to the
method the characters use to find others with powers and how they go about subduing them.
The show did a really great job at balancing the comedy with the slightly more serious bit at the end and eased into it really well. It wasn't a sudden shift. It paced itself very well while giving a little more insight into the world Yu got himself into and now he is aware that his actions do have consequences and it isn't about just protecting himself anymore. Very well done.

Also I love that Yu tried to pull off his Lelouch "charm" at the beginning and then got cornered again. I like how expressive our MC is. As a matter of fact I am surprised with how dynamic all the characters are. I thought Nao would be super serious all the time but it seems there's a lot more to her character than I gave credit for in those PVs.

And as Jarmel pointed out earlier, this episode had a lot of great shots and imagery especially in
Nao and her brother's
backstory. The cliffhanger the episode leaves on is a great one and I really look forward to the next episode.

Rokka 2

Still going to stick with it. I watched this with an old roommate and good friend (every once in a while we meet up to catch up with each other and watch anime and play video games), and I thought the episode was quite boring. I understand it was exposition heavy and needed to happen, but so was the first episode and it managed to be more entertaining. Everything in this episode is so blasé. Some pacing whiplash going on with this episode. Hopefully they can work out their pacing issues going forward.

Rokka seems going to be adapt only 1 volume for whole season, so from this pacing, it may need 2 more episodes to make all braves finally meet together.

God Eater 1
lol dat test

LfuAh8i.jpg

"Please insert your hand Not Sure"

Now as to the rest of the episode. You can tell it's anime AND a video game because the warriors don't bother using like uniforms or armor but instead opt to use some

moda

fucking

EDGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

ass clothing. Like one of them was smoking and the other looked like an extra at a Fall Out boy music video.

Besides that though, the lead is like an Eren from Attack of Titan only somehow more boring because he doesn't seem to have any personality. At last Eren's was being a whiny bitch. The other character with enough details to become a lead later on has the personality of the friend of Eren, you know the one that was crying all the time. There's no Mikasa so far but I have little doubt she'll appear.

The art style was weird. I wouldn't say off putting but weird. Outside of that like always we had flashback exposition. And people discussing "look protag is the special, make him look badass"

MSMrRound

I've never watched Symphogear but damn if this isn't some hype shonen shit. Are these gifs characteristic of the show most of the time? Because this looks dumb but in a good way. Aren't there like 3 series worth of this show?

Uhh. Some. There will be some pretty slow scenes (*cough daily school life*), but when shit hits the fan in Symphogear, it really hits the fan.

Came in for the curiosity, stayed because of pretty awesome vocals (hey protecting the peace in magical armor powered by JPOP!) and action scenes.

Don't think too hard about the silly and (sometime) terrible writing, and you might find yourself having a pretty good time with the show.

cajunator

Banned
I think it's easy to forgive GATE for the otaku humor bullshit when the payoff is fucking glorious nippon modern warfare murdering cocky ass medieval modafuckas. Also helps the MC is a capable military figure, otaku shit aside

I love that about it lol. Its such a ridiculous and fun idea, even if its been done before.

Shokugeki no Souma 07-11:
This show is so fun to watch, hopping on the Megumi train.

You have boarded the correct train. Please enjoy your trip!

The spirit of Kawamori lives on. What could be more sinful than words?

I miss the AKB0048 Kawamori
or maybe I just miss AKB0048.

China forgot to ship the in-betweens again,

phaze

Ushio to Tora 02

Talk-no-Jutsu'd in the span of two episodes. Truly shameful.

Meh monster of the week episode. If he keeps on carrying that spear with him and people in school won't connect the dots, we will enter Superman absurdity territory.

Mushishi 13

That's enough of Depreshishi for today.

Jex

[Prison School] – 1

Despite all the anticipation surrounding this adaptation, and with only a fairly unimpressive PV floating around, I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect from this but for once I put my faith in the director, Tsutomu Mizushima, to deliver something good. This opening episode suggests that I was right to do so. I can think of few anime directors more suited to handle this kind of weird, twisted sex comedy than him.

As I mentioned above, the PV for this show did not win me over. I thought the art looked fairly terrible and I feared that the actual show would look equally ugly. Thankfully, that isn’t the case. Now, to be clear, the show certainly has a distinct art style which will probably put some people off. The character designs are extremely detailed which naturally results in some rather stiff looking animation. However, for the most part, the emotional states of the characters are portrayed through often grotesquely distorted reaction-faces which all look great so it’s not necessarily a problem that the facial animation isn’t particularly fluid.

There was a few cool, one off shots, such as Hana's x-ray kick:

and this extreme, intense close-up on an eye:

The other really stand out part of the art is unique, ‘blotchy’ colouring which I thought would bother me initially but which I noticed less and less as the episode developed. Leaving the style aside, I did generally dig the overall colour design which used extremely striking hues to underscore fairly dramatic scenes in an effective manner.

I can’t really get through a discussion of this episode without touching upon the brisk pacing of the story. I can see from many of the comments posted online but that a number of manga readers considered the pacing to be far too fast. While I haven’t read the manga I could certainly detect the signs of an adaptation covering a lot of ground however I never really found that to be a problem. It was fast, yes, but I never really felt like I was missing anything. It was largely a series of gags and awkward situations which all seemed to hit home correctly. I never felt the need for any breathing room, rather, I preferred the quick-fire nature of the delivery. It doesn’t seem like going through the same material over, say, two episodes would do anything for the content.

Now, the actual worst moment of the episode occurs in the opening scene. Mizushima's fondness for camera movement aided by CG continues to create some really ugly scenes:

ps1jonu.gif

Jarmel

Banned
[Prison School] – 1
As I mentioned above, the PV for this show did not win me over. I thought the art looked fairly terrible and I feared that the actual show would look equally ugly. Thankfully, that isn’t the case. Now, to be clear, the show certainly has a distinct art style which will probably put some people off. The character designs are extremely detailed which naturally results in some rather stiff looking animation. However, for the most part, the emotional states of the characters are portrayed through often grotesquely distorted reaction-faces which all look great so it’s not necessarily a problem that the facial animation isn’t particularly fluid.

It's not just the character designs but the backgrounds are by and large extremely lacking and the lighting at times is fairly subpar. I would say it's a fairly ugly show despite a few good looking shots/scenes.

The backgrounds in particular look like mid-late 00's level.

cajunator

Banned
[Prison School] – 1

Despite all the anticipation surrounding this adaptation, and with only a fairly unimpressive PV floating around, I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect from this but for once I put my faith in the director, Tsutomu Mizushima, to deliver something good. This opening episode suggests that I was right to do so. I can think of few anime directors more suited to handle this kind of weird, twisted sex comedy than him.

There was a few cool, one off shots, such as Hana's x-ray kick:

and this extreme, intense close-up on an eye:

The other really stand out part of the art is unique, ‘blotchy’ colouring which I thought would bother me initially but which I noticed less and less as the episode developed. Leaving the style aside, I did generally dig the overall colour design which used extremely striking hues to underscore fairly dramatic scenes in an effective manner.

I can’t really get through a discussion of this episode without touching upon the brisk pacing of the story. I can see from many of the comments posted online but that a number of manga readers considered the pacing to be far too fast. While I haven’t read the manga I could certainly detect the signs of an adaptation covering a lot of ground however I never really found that to be a problem. It was fast, yes, but I never really felt like I was missing anything. It was largely a series of gags and awkward situations which all seemed to hit home correctly. I never felt the need for any breathing room, rather, I preferred the quick-fire nature of the delivery. It doesn’t seem like going through the same material over, say, two episodes would do anything for the content.

Now, the actual worst moment of the episode occurs in the opening scene. Mizushima's fondness for camera movement aided by CG continues to create some really ugly scenes:

ps1jonu.gif

Visually, this reminds me a lot of Attack on Titan. Is there any connection in the staff?

Exalted

God Eater1
Has a very unique artstyle and while the story is somewhat generic, it's storytelling and the way it cut scenes, handled flashbacks made it really stand out, compared to everything else.

Liked it a lot, and will definitely watch more.

Aquarion Logos Episode 2

Mr. Savior reminds me of Haruka Nanase.

I think the plot and premise is kind of silly but I did smile alot with how nice the cleaning staff was and also the shine to heal the illness.

Charlotte 02

Goddamn, this show is hitting every visual note I've wanted in an anime. The colors are fantastic, the animation in 3D enviornments is on point, and the skies are beautiful. I'm really digging the mix of humor and drama although I expect this show is just gonna get darker and darker as time goes on. The bread teleporting scene made the episode though.

Jex

It's not just the character designs but the backgrounds are by and large extremely lacking and the lighting at times is fairly subpar. I would say it's a fairly ugly show despite a few good looking shots/scenes.

The backgrounds in particular look like mid-late 00's level.

I don't really feel the same way about the lighting that you do but I completely agree with you on the background art.

I actually think this is the single worst piece of background art (and single worst shot) in the episode:

badart7vu58.jpg
Visually, this reminds me a lot of Attack on Titan. Is there any connection in the staff?

Not that I'm directly aware of.

One of the mangas I have in my "pending to read some day" is Piano no Mori. I noticed there is movie released in 2007 of it, and by Madhouse. Is any good? Have anyone watched it?

hamchan

I've found out that streaming Crunchyroll through Plex as a channel on a Sony Android TV has completely removed any buffering and I'm now getting 1080p perfectly.

I've tried streaming through PS4, Chromecast and even through Chrome on my desktop and it's always had problems with just randomly stopping or never being able to reach 1080p. Why this Plex method is so perfect I don't know but not questioning it.

Also Funimation needs to up their app support. Their tablet apps are really bad and no Chromecast support yet is crazy. PS4 app works fine for me but I'm so lazy to turn it on when I can reach Plex or Netflix with literally two button presses on my remote instead.

Because of this I've been watching Crunchyroll stuff a lot more than Funi even though I prefer the Funi back catalogue.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't really feel the same way about the lighting that you do but I completely agree with you on the background art.

I actually think this is the single worst piece of background art (and single worst shot) in the episode:

badart7vu58.jpg

Well for me, the problem is many of the daytime scenes have this blown out/washed out look to them. Sort of like the contrast is too high.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
One of the mangas I have in my "pending to read some day" is Piano no Mori. I noticed there is movie released in 2007 of it, and by Madhouse. Is any good? Have anyone watched it?

Not the most faithful adaptation, but if you view it as separate thing, it's okay. I enjoy the movie as it is, but the manga is on a whole different level. So basically, read the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom