• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what ways is it trying to be Cowboy Bebop?

In some ways, they had similar structures, I thought.

Two quirky, but powerful guys begrudging take in a down on her luck woman.

Then, there was the world building parts, they both try to add lore to their world by giving dialog to minor characters, usually with a distinct background. Bebop, I think does this better, since it is well...distinct.

Dragon Ball Super 002

6kTuGjc.jpg
MS3pbSN.jpg
rKEx1bU.jpg

10/10

1 minute of recap already, not super psyched about that. The show does still look pretty good however.

Despite poor subs missing a lot of sentences (wtf is going on?) episode was enjoyable. My favorite part was probably Vegeta riding on top of the Capsule Corp ship with arms crossed and Bulma flying it into the clouds and underwater spinning all the time and Vegeta not moving an inch.

Speaking of Vegata, holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen so much tsun-tsun from a male character before.

The reusing of old footage from the Buu Arc (actual reusing, it's the same footage) is kind of cool but also kind of weird?

Oh well, Phantasy Star Online 2 TV anime announced, coming 2016
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/pso15anniversary/animation/

cmGlxo1.png

So we still aren't getting this in the West right

The story of this first episode is focused on Mr P. Taganist, a character whose defining feature was that he really wants to kill the bad monsters. Think of Eren from Attack on Titan, but with far fewer character traits.

Is such a thing even possible?

I actually think this is the single worst piece of background art (and single worst shot) in the episode:

badart7vu58.jpg

Not that I'm directly aware of.

Yeah, I pretty much never notice this stuff and I noticed how off that shot looks.

Mature

This kickstarter seems pretty, er unfortunate https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asterion/asterion-you-will-be-the-hero

I mean, by all rights, this should be a cinch. They only need 135,000 Euros to produce a 13 episode series. Which, compared to other anime kickstarters, is pretty damn reasonable.

Secondly, the core staff are great. Directed by Yasuhiro Irie (FMA Brohoood, Code Breaker), art direction by Shinchiro Kobayashi (A bit of everything. Utena, Angel's Egg, KOR,Cagliostro etc) and character designs by Hiroshi Shimizu doing designs and animation direction (Ghibli stuff, IG Stuff).

But I've never ever heard of it. I don't read ANN but I follow a ton of twitter anime people. This should be something I've come across, but not. The English on the Kickstarter page does not seem great " Don't watch the video as if the quality of the show will be like that, with more funds we will produce the quality."

How very unfortunate. The real sticking point, at least at a glance, would seem to be the rewards. As a Netflix project, you don't really "get" the series on disc for any amount of money.
Threw a little bit of cash at it. This project seems like a no brainer. Too bad with only 15 days left that this is the first I've heard of it.

John Blade

Is Super Robot Wars Original Generation Complete Collection worth watching? I own the GBA games for it and kinda like it quite a bit. Also, mech fan here so, might be something I will watch if I have time.

Shokugeki no Soma 3

This academy doesn't do much education, does it? it's just "Cook a perfect dish or die be expelled!"

I suppose that fits with the ruthless weeding process that the school is proud of. Seriously, only 76 of 812 entering freshman make it to their second year? No real school could afford to be so brutal. An incredibly low graduation rate isn't considered a positive trait for an educational institution in reality.

On another note, are people going to be getting naked in every episode? (Outside the ED, of course.)

Jex

I've never heard of this project before either. It even has art genius Santiago Montiel on it. It certainly looks to have the potential to be something cool if it got made, but unfortunately it's so far from the goal that it's highly unlikely to ever come to fruition. But it's no wonder why it's failing when, as you say, the promotion is so bad. People can't donate to a Kickstarter they don't know exists. Let alone the English on the Kickstarter page sounds like they ran the French through Google Translate, which doesn't make a good impression. Just another lesson that you can't just throw a bunch of talented people together and expect a Kickstarter project to succeed, you have to devote a lot of care and attention to selling it.

That seems extremely likely, unfortunately. I've backed it but, barring some kind of miracle (which can't happen with zero promotion) I doubt it will get funded. Which is kind of crazy considering how little money they are asking for such a large project. I mean, compared to some of these Kickstarters, asking for 130,000 euros for a 13 episode series is insanely good value. With even a half way decent campaign I'd expected them to make their goal. However it appears they've literally had no campaign.

Tuck

Arslan -14
God I love this show. Though I do wish they'd stop steamrolling the competition so utterly. Some setbacks would make things more interesting.

Jex

Also, if you're going to do a kickstarter and your primary language is not English you really need to get a translator. Given the rate most translators charge, having your Kickstarter translated into legible English does not cost that much money and makes a substantial difference.

javac

Some people who received their Sailor Moon R set from Rightstuf are missing their reversible cover and is a known issue.

Shokugeki no Soma 3

This academy doesn't do much education, does it? it's just "Cook a perfect dish or die be expelled!"

I suppose that fits with the ruthless weeding process that the school is proud of. Seriously, only 76 of 812 entering freshman make it to their second year? No real school could afford to be so brutal. An incredibly low graduation rate isn't considered a positive trait for an educational institution in reality.

On another note, are people going to be getting naked in every episode? (Outside the ED, of course.)

Have you seen the schools in shonen series? They're hardcore! There are actually classes but you don't really see much of them.

Naked-Apron Senpai makes up most of the nude screentime.

Phatmac

Vegeta being a family man during this episode was the highlight. Seeing the family together and happy reminds me of how bad Yamcha's luck is considering bulma broke up with him to get the dude that beat you up in the first place.

javac

Blu-ray
The Tale of The Princess Kaguya [Studio Canal]
Run Time: 137 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (1 BD (50GB), 1 DVD)
Price: Standard Edition @ Amazon.com: £12.99
Price: Collectors Edition @ Amazon.com: £21.99
Standard Edition:
tbMC5xhm.jpg

Collectors Edition:
PLgwcf3m.jpg

1vxoSoQl.jpg

DVD
Patlabor The Mobile Police: The New Files [MVM]
Run Time: 400 min
Audio: English 2.0 / Japanese 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Three-disc set (3 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: £25.00
0d0xAlGl.jpg

Have you seen the schools in shonen series? They're hardcore! There are actually classes but you don't really see much of them.

I know, it just amused me that the show was all "Welcome to high school! Now cook great food with absolutely no explanations given!" I understand that showing the tedium of actual high school classes wouldn't be very entertaining, but I do appreciate when series in a school setting occasionally drop some short glimpses of characters in class to show that, yes, there is actual education going on and the students aren't expected to be geniuses who need no further instruction. Because if they are the latter, they shouldn't be at a school in the first place. They should be off making their fortune.

Naked-Apron Senpai makes up most of the nude screentime.

Does this guy just walk around in public in nothing but an apron?

Yona of the Dawn 6-10

I don't know if this is a fair comment as they don't have a ton in common but I get a lot of Spice and Wolf vibes from this show. Maybe it's the music, maybe it has something to do with both
Yona and Holo always hiding themselves
, or the way the show is slow paced but yet every episode feeling meaningful. It's really hard to put a finger on what makes the two feels so alike but regardless I am still immensely enjoying this. I am going to take a break for a few hours and watch something else but I really want to finish this show ASAP.

Shokugeki no Soma 4

This high school campus is larger than any university campus anywhere. How do students even make it from their dorm to classes on time? There needs to be an internal bus system.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier, but I appreciate the choral music that plays during the reaction scenes. It helps sell their ludicrously dramatic nature.

Tuck

Yona of the Dawn 6-10

I don't know if this is a fair comment as they don't have a ton in common but I get a lot of Spice and Wolf vibes from this show. Maybe it's the music, maybe it has something to do with both
Yona and Holo always hiding themselves
, or the way the show is slow paced but yet every episode feeling meaningful. It's really hard to put a finger on what makes the two feels so alike but regardless I am still immensely enjoying this. I am going to take a break for a few hours and watch something else but I really want to finish this show ASAP.

Think I may start on this show - I've heard great things. The manga isn't finished so I was trying to hold out, but screw it, the show looks great.

ibyea

Banned
Godeater 1
It's pretty meh, but the presentation is sure great. Also all the people have different texture that I don't know what to think of.

Shokugeki no Soma 3

Guess the parents pay for the prestige of graduating form this 'school', not actually learning anything.

But I kind of appreciate this ludicrous regimen in that place. Going over the top is where this show excels at after all and it thankfully doesn't take itself serious in that regard whatsoever.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Shokugeki no Soma 3

These aren't really spoilers, but I think Totsuki has a middle school and that's where they do real teaching. The high school is basically the place to put all your skills to test or if you transfer in, already a built-in beast.

Jarmel

Banned
For Soma's school, I imagine for a lot of students they already go in with the knowledge to graduate or not. When almost every event is a pass or be expelled, that doesn't really conduct itself towards a healthy teaching environment for both students and teachers. There seems to be the assumption that you are already a pretty good cook now and the whole thing is more just weeding out bad apples.

These aren't really spoilers, but I think Totsuki has a middle school and that's where they do real teaching. The high school is basically the place to put all your skills to test or if you transfer in, already a built-in beast.

Yeah, there is a middle school division

And Soma's group of friends is nearly all the top of the class first year people, most of the expelled people are unnamed scrubs like usual. Erina is still levels above them though

Jex

Just briefly looking over the aforementioned Kickstarter's publicly available information and it looks like they've literally had their most backers today?

That, er, really suggests they need to get the word out. I can't even find an article on the French langauge animation site Catsuka. It shocks me that they couldn't at least get an article there.

This kickstarter seems pretty, er unfortunate https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asterion/asterion-you-will-be-the-hero

I mean, by all rights, this should be a cinch. They only need 135,000 Euros to produce a 13 episode series. Which, compared to other anime kickstarters, is pretty damn reasonable.

Hm... Looks like it's just for making the first episode. And there'll be game parts between the episodes since they're making it for mobile phones with 3 different endings.

Blu-ray

DVD

Only £13 for Kaguya? Guess I'll buy it then.

For Soma's school, I imagine for a lot of students they already go in with the knowledge to graduate or not. When almost every event is a pass or be expelled, that doesn't really conduct itself towards a healthy teaching environment for both students and teachers. There seems to be the assumption that if you are already a pretty good cook now and the whole thing is more just weeding out bad apples.

I noticed the lack of teaching thing in Soma as well. Totsuki seems less of place to learn about cooking than it is a place to put whatever cooking skills you have to the test to earn you some high recognition in the food world upon graduation.

Jarmel

Banned
I noticed the lack of teaching thing in Soma as well. Totsuki seems less of place to learn about cooking than it is a place to put whatever cooking skills you have to the test to earn you some high recognition in the food world upon graduation.

So it's what Harvard's business school should be like.

Jex

Hm... Looks like it's just for making the first episode. And there'll be game parts between the episodes since they're making it for mobile phones with 3 different endings.

It would probably help if their Kickstarter page was actually written by someone with a fluent understanding of English!

Mature

Just briefly looking over the aforementioned Kickstarter's publicly available information and it looks like they've literally had their most backers today?

That, er, really suggests they need to get the word out. I can't even find an article on the French langauge animation site Catsuka. It shocks me that they couldn't at least get an article there.
You're their biggest asset, haha.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't even understand, Shimizu is actually going to a convention next month. Like why not go to the convention and announce it there, that way you get some publicity. I doubt ANN's even wrote an article on them.

This should have had no problem getting to $130k which is absurdly low. Why is it $130k unless there are a ton of other investors involved?

It would probably help if their Kickstarter page was actually written by someone with a fluent understanding of English!

Yeah. Not sure if the gameplay bit(s) will be in-between episodes or in-between parts of the first episode. Oh, and they're gonna show it in space as well? Guess some astronaut is gonna bring it there?

So it's what Harvard's business school should be like.

If Harvard was a reality TV show.

Come to think of it, Soma is pretty much one of those cooking reality shows that fill TV schedules these day. I wouldn't be surprised if there are secret cameras filming the students everywhere on campus so their cooking battles can be broadcast to a national audience.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

Come to think of it, Soma is pretty much one of those cooking reality shows that fill TV schedules these day. I wouldn't be surprised if there are secret cameras filming the students everywhere on campus so their cooking battles can be broadcast to a national audience.

The audience is... US.

#deep

Shokugeki no Soma 3

Based on some stuff in the manga, I feel like it's implied that even if they fail in the high school, most of them will still get pretty decent jobs as chefs.

Does that make Shinomiya Gordon Ramsey

tumblr_nqp5sjOd6u1ut9jmvo1_500.jpg

edit: found this guess so

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shimoneta 2
They destroy "the most ordinary pool" ever? THOSE MANIAC!
I really should try that oreo cream and pocky "body melding"
Motherfucker put his dick on his son head...

Crocodile

Secondly, the core staff are great. Directed by Yasuhiro Irie (FMA Brohoood, Code Breaker), art direction by Shinchiro Kobayashi (A bit of everything. Utena, Angel's Egg, KOR,Cagliostro etc) and character designs by Hiroshi Shimizu doing designs and animation direction (Ghibli stuff, IG Stuff).

But I've never ever heard of it. I don't read ANN but I follow a ton of twitter anime people. This should be something I've come across, but not. The English on the Kickstarter page does not seem great " Don't watch the video as if the quality of the show will be like that, with more funds we will produce the quality."

How very unfortunate. The real sticking point, at least at a glance, would seem to be the rewards. As a Netflix project, you don't really "get" the series on disc for any amount of money.

I haven't read through the KS page yet but I will say that when a KS asks for what seems like an unreasonably small amount of money to do something, that's usually a pretty big red flag unless they have already secured outside funding or the KS is mostly to fund the "final polish" of the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom