• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only Hirao could be freed from making something as deeply boring as God Eater. Talent literally wasting away.

Still, bills being paid etc.

Hirao has a knack for picking material that is unworthy of his considerable directing skills. Even Kara no Kyoukai 5: Paradox Spiral, probably his best work, is still saddled by poor Nasu writing and world-building. Ah well, hopefully one day the creativity of his visuals will be matched with depth of content.

God Eater Episode 1

Best episode 1 of the summer season. Lenka is a great protagonists and all the folks around him are memorable and ones too cheer for, Kota especially, and then Eric there in the end. Hoping he gets to play a larger part.

The music is also really fantastic, that whole moment when Lenka is gearing up and one step ahead of the commander and that english song is playing as he throws of his jacket etc, fantastic.

This is up there with Seraph of the End for best post apocalyptic anime around. I want more

Can't wait to finish work so I can watch God Eater. Most anticipated show for me this season. I fucking love the games, it's been a good bunch of years since I played the first one.

Cornbread78

Charlotte 02

Goddamn, this show is hitting every visual note I've wanted in an anime. The colors are fantastic, the animation in 3D enviornments is on point, and the skies are beautiful. I'm really digging the mix of humor and drama although I expect this show is just gonna get darker and darker as time goes on. The bread teleporting scene made the episode though.

The 3D scene when he entered the student council room looked amazing and then the sunset scene with Nao also looked stunning.

Oh and the blood squirting at the end of the bread scene was priceless, lol.

Kansoku

For a good part of the episode I thought they made God Eater using the shader from Guilty Gear Xrd. (But with a lot more shadows)

It was the best start to an anime this summer. Im rewatching it for it was just that good.
Yessss I was so worried after those hiccups. You don't even know how happy you have made me. Now I can work in peace knowing that all is well. Still breaks my heart that we haven't gotten GE2 in the west... Maybe I'll fire up Burst again on my Vita tonight.

Shokugeki no Soma 2

I like the thing they have going on with Soma, where his background as the son of a diner owner puts him at odds with everyone else at the academy, who are all part of families of esteemed, famous elites of the food world. It's always more entertaining to watch the underdog who has to struggle for acceptance than the recognized top dogs for whom success is expected as a matter of course. Hopefully the series will keep up the dynamic that forces Soma to think in creative ways to prepare food that will surprise and delight his judges despite their prejudices.

I also like the silly analogies used for food tasting and the over-the-top visual way in which they're represented. "It tastes as if I was standing under a cool waterfall and then a jukebox fell down and hit me." Say what?

The 3D scene when he entered the student council room looked amazing and then the sunset scene with Nao also looked stunning.

Oh and the blood squirting at the end of the bread scene was priceless, lol.

Yeah, those were the two scenes that really stood out to me. The starry night sky at the end also wowed me.

Sakura

Just watched Non Non Biyori Repeat episode 1.
Rather disappointed to see that they are uh... just redoing the same year again. I wanted to see it continue. Wonder if the rest of the show will be anime original stuff too, which would make sense I guess considering there isn't much manga left to adapt.
Oh well, think I will just drop it.

TraBuch

Banned
Do you like sports anime? It's been quite a good few years for those, not all consistently amazing but there's a nice variety going on, Ping Pong is a must watch regardless of taste I think. (Ace of Diamond, Haikyu!!, Kuroko's Basketball, Baby Steps are my recs if so.)

I'm not too good at recs but HunterxHunter (2011) if you liked YYH even a little.
I actually don't think I've ever seen a sports anime. Does Kaiji count? Gambling is kind of a sport sorta. Well, people consider poker a sport, at least.

cajunator

Banned
I actually don't think I've ever seen a sports anime. Does Kaiji count? Gambling is kind of a sport sorta. Well, people consider poker a sport, at least.

Taisho Baseball Girls is really cute and actually made me appreciate baseball. sort of. Its still only slightly more interesting than soccer.

John Blade

Last.Exile.full.146976.jpg

Well...just starting to watch Last Exile today and I am now finish 4th episodes of the show. It's actually not too bad. From what I heard, they're people don't like the show because of the slow pace. My early impression is it's actually not too bad and liking the air battle fight quite a bit. I am guessing they won't be tons of those in the show but for now, liking it so far. Going to keep on watching today and maybe finish half of the show by today (or more).

Coxy

Aquarion Logos - 01

I had absolutely no idea what the fuck was going on in the first half of this, apparently there are two prequels but I read you don't have to watch them for this, however I'm starting to think otherwise.

Yeah that's a complete lie whoever told you that, you need to watch the other series

Shokugeki no Soma 2

I like the thing they have going on with Soma, where his background as the son of a diner owner puts him at odds with everyone else at the academy, who are all part of families of esteemed, famous elites of the food world. It's always more entertaining to watch the underdog who has to struggle for acceptance than the recognized top dogs for whom success is expected as a matter of course. Hopefully the series will keep up the dynamic that forces Soma to think in creative ways to prepare food that will surprise and delight his judges despite their prejudices.

I also like the silly analogies used for food tasting and the over-the-top visual way in which they're represented. "It tastes as if I was standing under a cool waterfall and then a jukebox fell down and hit me." Say what?

Oh the show definitely does this a lot, and it's one of the reasons why I like it so much.

Soma's creativity is just so out there and wild that it's just impossible for me not to get excited for what he's going to cook up next.

Phatmac

Having no experience with the game this just seems like another Attack on Titan/Black Bullet show where humanity struggles to face giant monsters while defending walls. The CGI takes a bit to get used to but I think it looks good all things considered. It's a bit too generic for my taste but it wasn't bad in any particular way.

Yona of the Dawn 1-5

I am completely enthralled by this show. The story framework in the early episodes is really well done and the journey Yona takes in these early episodes is very well done. I'll be honest, the premise of a pricess in love with her cousin had me weary at first but that is no longer a factor at this point. The story is really well told and the dialogue is fantastic.

The art and animation are also something that is really well done. It's very well animated and well directed.

The music actually gives me a lot of Spice and Wolf vibes. It's really great and swells at the right moments.

All in all I am really enjoying this and I am watching it one episode after the other to the point where I don't really stop to post an impression on each episode. I just keep wanting to see what happens next. I am really digging this show.

TrueBlue

Yona of the Dawn 1-5

I am completely enthralled by this show. The story framework in the early episodes is really well done and the journey Yona takes in these early episodes is very well done. I'll be honest, the premise of a pricess in love with her cousin had me weary at first but that is no longer a factor at this point. The story is really well told and the dialogue is fantastic.

The art and animation are also something that is really well done. It's very well animated and well directed.

The music actually gives me a lot of Spice and Wolf vibes. It's really great and swells at the right moments.

All in all I am really enjoying this and I am watching it one episode after the other to the point where I don't really stop to post an impression on each episode. I just keep wanting to see what happens next. I am really digging this show.

This is probably my show of the year so far. Absolutely loved every moment of it, I hope you feel the same way!

Gbraga

I really like the way they keep using variations of the opening theme in Shokugeki no Soma to convey all sorts of emotions. I'm very fond of this kind of stuff, maybe I just didn't notice it that much before, but from what I can recall, it happens a lot more in games than in anime. The Last of Us used it masterfully. Of course it's not quite the same in Shokugeki no Soma, but it's not even trying to be, Soma destroying an emotional moment in Episode 11 made me laugh out loud, even though I've already read it before, it still surprised me because the mood they set with the song was very solid.

The way Soma easily relates to everyone and has absolutely no consideration for the current mood and just does his own thing is what makes him such a nice protagonist to me. The underdog who will always come up with something to win against all odds (to the point where his victory is always expected and actually removes all tension him being an underdog was supposed to create) is nothing really new, but when it comes with an actually likeable and funny personality, it's really a blast to watch.

Phatmac

Yona of the Dawn 1-5

Glad more people are enjoying Yona of the Dawn! It's criminally underrated so I'm glad you're enjoying it. It only gets better from here!

phaze

so i finally watch gonna be a twin tails, shits so fucking stupid and hilarious, the villians & dumb lackeys truly make the anime

AOTY of 2014.

God Eater 01

The artstyle is really weird. And ugly. I would probably adjust in a few episodes but nothing in this dreck of a pilot made me want to return to it.

Last.Exile.full.146976.jpg

Well...just starting to watch Last Exile today and I am now finish 4th episodes of the show. It's actually not too bad. From what I heard, they're people don't like the show because of the slow pace. My early impression is it's actually not too bad and liking the air battle fight quite a bit. I am guessing they won't be tons of those in the show but for now, liking it so far. Going to keep on watching today and maybe finish half of the show by today (or more).

It crashes and burns in the last 1/4 of the story, imo. Previous to that it was pretty good.

Tuck

God Eater - 1
What an utterly boring main character. The concept is basically Attack on Titan, with just as dull a main character to match.

The art style is certainly interesting.

Ending action sequence lacked tension, especially when the elite force arrived and just sat around talking trying to be all cool while there were monsters around.

Couple instances of characters talking like robots instead of people.

In all, not a good start. I'll give it an episode or two, but I'm not holding out any high hopes for this one.

Arslan Senki Episode 14:

SO who else remembered this was a show that is currently airing?

You mean last season's AOTS? Yeah of course I remember! Been looking forward to episode 14 after last weeks break. Have yet to watch it, but will do shortly.

OceanBlue

Are we supposed to know what Snow White with the Red Hair is supposed to be about? Episode 1 was a nice self-contained story, but I have no idea what's going to happen lol. Did I miss some hints about something? The show summaries on MAL and the Funimation site only summarize the first episode too.

The ending montage that presumably hints at future events could easily be seen as a, "Happily ever after," ending lol. Not intending to say that the episode was bad because of this or anything. Just confused.

Jex

This kickstarter seems pretty, er unfortunate https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asterion/asterion-you-will-be-the-hero

I mean, by all rights, this should be a cinch. They only need 135,000 Euros to produce a 13 episode series. Which, compared to other anime kickstarters, is pretty damn reasonable.

Secondly, the core staff are great. Directed by Yasuhiro Irie (FMA Brohoood, Code Breaker), art direction by Shinchiro Kobayashi (A bit of everything. Utena, Angel's Egg, KOR,Cagliostro etc) and character designs by Hiroshi Shimizu doing designs and animation direction (Ghibli stuff, IG Stuff).

But I've never ever heard of it. I don't read ANN but I follow a ton of twitter anime people. This should be something I've come across, but not. The English on the Kickstarter page does not seem great " Don't watch the video as if the quality of the show will be like that, with more funds we will produce the quality."

How very unfortunate. The real sticking point, at least at a glance, would seem to be the rewards. As a Netflix project, you don't really "get" the series on disc for any amount of money.

Are we supposed to know what Snow White with the Red Hair is supposed to be about? Episode 1 was a nice self-contained story, but I have no idea what's going to happen lol. Did I miss some hints about something? The show summaries on MAL and the Funimation site only summarize the first episode too.

The ending montage that presumably hints at future events could easily be seen as a, "Happily ever after," ending lol. Not intending to say that the episode was bad because of this or anything. Just confused.

it's just a romance story about a girl and a prince. I mean that's basically it.

Gbraga

Shokugeki no Soma 12

COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png
COmHQB2.png

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.
COmHQB2.png

This episode hit all the feels, all of them. And then the warm and comfy ending sets in. I'm still crying like a baby
COmHQB2.png

A great supporting cast truly is the mark of a great shounen.

OceanBlue

it's just a romance story about a girl and a prince. I mean that's basically it.

I guess that's fine. I'm just surprised that we don't have an indication of why the romance won't happen. I mean it's even clearly played out in the ending. I'm probably just too used to last-minute cliffhangers in anime.

javac

This kickstarter seems pretty, er unfortunate https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asterion/asterion-you-will-be-the-hero

How very unfortunate.

It's all in the marketing, sometimes things that you've never heard of get picked up and covered by outlets and get the exposure they need, whether that be through social networking or forums like GAF and unfortunately sometimes many of them just fall under the radar. Sometimes a marketable name/team is helpful too. "From Studio Trigger, the guys making the upcoming Kill La Kill and ex-members of Gainax (Gurren Laggan!)" will get more attention from causal people too. A damn shame indeed, it must take a massive hit to their moral as well "maybe people just don't want this".

I guess that's fine. I'm just surprised that we don't have an indication of why the romance won't happen. I mean it's even clearly played out in the ending. I'm probably just too used to last-minute cliffhangers in anime.

Probably because the male character is a Prince and the female character is a commoner which would cause some issues.

Though I heard it doesn't have unnecessary drama crap that plagues many Shoujo series.

javac

Blu-ray
07/14/15
Is The Order A Rabbit?: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD, 50GB)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $34.49
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $38.99
8DLfgIqm.jpg

The Familiar of Zero: F: Season 4 [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $34.49
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $38.99
RT9HeT8m.jpg

Sailor Moon R: Season 2, Part 1 [VIZ]
Run Time: 530 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Six-disc set (3 BDs, 3 DVDs)
Price: Standard Edition @ Amazon.com: $54.96
Limited Edition @ Amazon.com: $79.88
Price: Standard Edition @ rightstuf.com: $35.99
Limited Edition @ rightstuf.com: $63.99
Standard Edition:
QSIhQSAm.jpg

Limited Edition:
RHeNVO5m.jpg

OCoGOghl.jpg

DVD
07/14/15
One Piece: Collection 13 [Funimation]
Run Time: 625 min
Audio: English 5.1 Surround / Japanese Stereo
Format: Four-disc set (4 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $22.76
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $22.75
6WHtlvnm.jpg

One Piece: Season 7: Part 1 [Funimation]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: English 2.0 / Japanese Stereo
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $24.86
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $25.99
Yj5HcuHm.jpg

Super Robot Wars Original Generation Complete Collection [Media Blasters]
Run Time: 870 min
Audio: Japanese
Format: Eight-disc set (8 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $24.99
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $22.49
Sus1ZLvm.jpg

I mean, by all rights, this should be a cinch. They only need 135,000 Euros to produce a 13 episode series. Which, compared to other anime kickstarters, is pretty damn reasonable.

Secondly, the core staff are great. Directed by Yasuhiro Irie (FMA Brohoood, Code Breaker), art direction by Shinchiro Kobayashi (A bit of everything. Utena, Angel's Egg, KOR,Cagliostro etc) and character designs by Hiroshi Shimizu doing designs and animation direction (Ghibli stuff, IG Stuff).

But I've never ever heard of it. I don't read ANN but I follow a ton of twitter anime people. This should be something I've come across, but not. The English on the Kickstarter page does not seem great " Don't watch the video as if the quality of the show will be like that, with more funds we will produce the quality."

How very unfortunate. The real sticking point, at least at a glance, would seem to be the rewards. As a Netflix project, you don't really "get" the series on disc for any amount of money.

I've never heard of this project before either. It even has art genius Santiago Montiel on it. It certainly looks to have the potential to be something cool if it got made, but unfortunately it's so far from the goal that it's highly unlikely to ever come to fruition. But it's no wonder why it's failing when, as you say, the promotion is so bad. People can't donate to a Kickstarter they don't know exists. Let alone the English on the Kickstarter page sounds like they ran the French through Google Translate, which doesn't make a good impression. Just another lesson that you can't just throw a bunch of talented people together and expect a Kickstarter project to succeed, you have to devote a lot of care and attention to selling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom