• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that make Shinomiya Gordon Ramsey

tumblr_nqp5sjOd6u1ut9jmvo1_500.jpg

edit: found this guess so
Omg this is perfect.

On my way homeee, can't wait for God Eater.

I'm glad people here enjoy Soma, in the manga thread it's the most popular and well liked/read manga and has been for about a year

One Piece, Prison School, Kingdom, Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Onepunch-man are probably close to it though

Shokugeki no Soma 4

This high school campus is larger than any university campus anywhere. How do students even make it from their dorm to classes on time? There needs to be an internal bus system.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier, but I appreciate the choral music that plays during the reaction scenes. It helps sell their ludicrously dramatic nature.

Kato Tatsuya is a severely underrated composer.

I don't really get the appeal. It's about cooking. What's the hook?

The hook is the creativity in how the food is made, and how the main character uses that creativity to succeed against seemingly impossible odds.

It's also the fact that the show has some genuinely likeable characters.

ViciousDS

Banned
So I guess I'll start watching food wars.....wasn't to sure on it but it looks like from this thread it's a great mix of comedy and seriousness

Edit: also how is God eater as an anime?

Ascheroth

I'm glad people here enjoy Soma, in the manga thread it's the most popular and well liked/read manga and has been for about a year

One Piece, Prison School, Kingdom, Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Onepunch-man are probably close to it though

I can proudly say I've been reading Soma since chapter 1 :p. Didn't really take long until it became the manga I looked forward to the most every week, it's just that entertaining.

And I absolutely love the anime. It's a perfect adaption in my eyes and manages to make the source material even more entertaining. I was a bit sceptical at first, because I couldn't really imagine Matsuoka as Soma, but he's honestly been amazing so far.
Definitely my personal AOTY candidate so far.

Cornbread78

Aishiteruze Baby ep.7-12
ec9c467111fd95932664298a5bb393de.jpg

Man, this show is such a whirlwind of emotions to watch each episode. They really do a great job depicting each characters emotional situation; the ups, the downs and everything in between. That train moment tore my heart in two. I really wasn't expecting this much thought and emotion to be poured into this, but it is really, really good at what it sets out to do. Plus, Yuzuyu is a cutie..

Ascheroth

I don't really get the appeal. It's about cooking. What's the hook?

It's about cooking. But most battle shonen wished they could create half as much tension as Soma.
The hook is the creative food (which is, by the way, completely real and not some ridiculous fantasy stuff. They have a famous cook, who is also a model, as an advisor and it shows) and the ridiculous over-the-top reactions when tasting it. They start out heavily on the fanservice side, but once you get past those, they start getting completely hilarious and absurd. It's great.
Soma himself is also a really great and likable protagonist, and he is surrounded by an equally likeable supporting cast.
Basically, it's a really, really, really, fun show.

Quasar

Aishiteruze Baby ep.7-12
Man, thus show is such a whirlwind of emotions to watch each episode. They really do a great job depicting each characters emotional situation; the ups, the downs and everything in between. That train moment tore my heart in two. I really wasn't expecting this much thought and emotion to be poured into this, but it is really, really good at what it sets out to do. Plus, Yuzuyu is a cutie..

Yuzu is great. Actually acts like a little kid.

cajunator

Banned
Last.Exile.full.146976.jpg

Well...just starting to watch Last Exile today and I am now finish 4th episodes of the show. It's actually not too bad. From what I heard, they're people don't like the show because of the slow pace. My early impression is it's actually not too bad and liking the air battle fight quite a bit. I am guessing they won't be tons of those in the show but for now, liking it so far. Going to keep on watching today and maybe finish half of the show by today (or more).

squeeeeee Last Exile!
I really love this one. Im a huge fan of steampunk stuff and aviation and this show hit the marks. Really pleasant Range Murata art style and excellent machinery designs throughout.
The most interesting thing to me was the chivalry based fighting style of the airships. They took turns launching volleys and even the front line soldiers arranged in lines much as the old Revolutionary war era soldiers used to and older still. Last Exile really stood out strongly to me. Be sure to watch Fam the Silver wing also!

Shokugeki no Soma 2

I like the thing they have going on with Soma, where his background as the son of a diner owner puts him at odds with everyone else at the academy, who are all part of families of esteemed, famous elites of the food world. It's always more entertaining to watch the underdog who has to struggle for acceptance than the recognized top dogs for whom success is expected as a matter of course. Hopefully the series will keep up the dynamic that forces Soma to think in creative ways to prepare food that will surprise and delight his judges despite their prejudices.

I also like the silly analogies used for food tasting and the over-the-top visual way in which they're represented. "It tastes as if I was standing under a cool waterfall and then a jukebox fell down and hit me." Say what?

Soma feels extremely similar to Yakitate Japan in the way Soma has to brainstorm around when dishes dont work out initially and compensating for cheating, copying, or deceitful judges. Just as Soma overcomes them one by one with his refusal to quit, so does Azuma Kazuma. Azuma is every bit as creative and talented of a cook as Soma and people who enjoy Soma would be quite heavily recommended to watch Yakitate Japan.

Yona of the Dawn 1-5

I am completely enthralled by this show. The story framework in the early episodes is really well done and the journey Yona takes in these early episodes is very well done. I'll be honest, the premise of a pricess in love with her cousin had me weary at first but that is no longer a factor at this point. The story is really well told and the dialogue is fantastic.

The art and animation are also something that is really well done. It's very well animated and well directed.

The music actually gives me a lot of Spice and Wolf vibes. It's really great and swells at the right moments.

All in all I am really enjoying this and I am watching it one episode after the other to the point where I don't really stop to post an impression on each episode. I just keep wanting to see what happens next. I am really digging this show.

Yona feels a lot like Saiunkoku Monogatari in some ways. Very shoujo, with strong heroines and a wide cast of characters, and dealing with governmental issues, although Yona deals more on the action side and Saiunkoku with the character side. Yona watchers might also enjoy Twelve Kingdoms now that I think about it.

cajunator

Banned
Blu-ray

DVD

FInally I have no excuse not to watch Sailor Moon R
Should arrive any day now.

In some ways, they had similar structures, I thought.

Two quirky, but powerful guys begrudging take in a down on her luck woman.

Then, there was the world building parts, they both try to add lore to their world by giving dialog to minor characters, usually with a distinct background. Bebop, I think does this better, since it is well...distinct.

Thats an interesting comparison. Ill have to watch it soon.

Shokugeki no Soma 3

This academy doesn't do much education, does it? it's just "Cook a perfect dish or die be expelled!"

I suppose that fits with the ruthless weeding process that the school is proud of. Seriously, only 76 of 812 entering freshman make it to their second year? No real school could afford to be so brutal. An incredibly low graduation rate isn't considered a positive trait for an educational institution in reality.

On another note, are people going to be getting naked in every episode? (Outside the ED, of course.)

Well it IS an elite academy. the first arcs are basically weeding out the weak ones and uncreative ones. They dont necessarily have to create a masterpiece every time but simply show that they can adapt to pressure situations and come up with creative solutions. The real teaching phase hasnt really begun, although the students do learn along the way.

Some people who received their Sailor Moon R set from Rightstuf are missing their reversible cover and is a known issue.

Thanks for the heads up. Ill see how mine arrives.

Many people who received their Sailor Moon sets are missing watchable video footage. This is also a known issue.

This is a shit attitude really.
I havent had a problem with the Sailor Moon sets yet.

Think I may start on this show - I've heard great things. The manga isn't finished so I was trying to hold out, but screw it, the show looks great.

Duuude Yona is legit. Not only is she a cutie, but also kind of a badass and a pretty strong character. The hsow has great pacing, good action, its just really enjoyable!

This is what the reversible cover is supposed to look like:

Source
The tweet underneath it is from the official Sailor Moon account:

Some people are just getting this

Thanks again.

Firemind

Don't get me wrong. I adore cooking shows, but the key difference is they serve real food. Imagery that makes my mouth watery. A drawing does not. Plus, I have to imagine that the anime has to add commentary or monologues (or foodgasms in this case) to make the cooking battles actually understandable for the viewer when the result is a bunch of drawings. I suppose a solid cast goes a long way.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then... - 01

Want to start off with that I love the silly season name. This first episode surprised the hell out of me.
Some great over the top action and visuals. I have a weakness for the "ability name" shot pauses, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was featured here.
The moment the soundtrack kicked in and one of the gals started to sing I knew I was in for a ride. I didn't expect them to show people getting killed graphically with piercing and vaporizing(?).
One thing sealed the deal for me though. I giggled like a school girl when the blue haired chick started to break-dance kill the enemies with her heel blades!

I hope they didn't blow all the cool action stuff for this episode, because with that ending scene I expect some great stuff up next!

God Eater 01

Wow you guys weren't joking this really is Attack on Titan. And also Newtypes??

Most of the dialogue in this was either expository babble or JRPG dialogue and I have no idea whats going on. Any people who played these games know if it's any better if you have? The directing is pretty interesting, but it's not in service of a whole lot, and I'm not sure if I care for the overall look, although it does look good in general outside of that one scene posted earlier. So kind of just like FSN? This just makes me want this studio/director to work on something better outside of this boring and aimless product

All the OP's this season aren't very good =(

Even Arslan's was swapped for a lesser song.

Ushio and Tora and Gatchaman Crowds Insight have great OPs!

Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then... - 01

I hope they didn't blow all the cool action stuff for this episode, because with that ending scene I expect some great stuff up next!

Man you don't even know :lol

And I agree the subtitles on Symphogear series are amazing, I hold my determination to fist every day

Tuck

Rokka no Yuusha - 2
It was pretty good, but had a few glaring flaws.

+Show continues to be a looker
+A decent action scene
+Brave killer introduced
-CG monsters
-Brave killer is a fucking Monotone character

The thing I'm mixed on is the princess. First, she spilled her soul to Adlett, which is fine except it should have probably come later - the fact that they barely know eachother and haven't really been through anything together yet lessens that conversation. Also, her character as a whole is a mixed bag. She is supposed to be strong, but in this episode she wasn't entirely useful, and certainly not self confident. I suppose I need to see where they go with the character from here, but some improvement is needed.

The OPs for Gatchaman Crowds Insight and particularly Ushio and Tora are quite good.

You're right on Ushio - I wouldn't say its great but its solid. Don't watch Gatchaman but the Op is good, yeah.

RahXephon - 11

Dayum, starts with high tension and delivers one pretty darn good psychedelic sequence for the rest of it.

Have to say though, I think I'm not liking the Ayato's voice actor. The voice itself sounds a bit annoying but worse, my immersion suffers as I often actively feel like I'm hearing a voice actor performing.

I'm also not all too fond of Ayato's character himself. This episode was interesting and shed some light on his psyche, however there's inconsistency in Ayato's behavior and all his insecurities and issues don't always seem to manifest in anything.

Shinji from Evangelion isn't necessarily a complex character but he's a pretty well defined one whose attributes are always apparent in his actions and behavior. Oh and the voice actor of him screams so much better!

Kyuur

Season so far for me after watching a couple of 1st episodes:

Great
Gatchman Insight
Prison School

Has potential
Gangsta
Shimoneta

Generic as hell
Ushio and Tora
God Eater

The only thing left that I might try is Rokka due to some shots that were posted earlier in the thread, but the designs are a serious turn off.

God Eater 1

Goddamn that was so fucking awesome, worth the wait. I remember the game quite well, and this seems to borrow a lot from it, from the training sessions, to the terminals where you pick up quests and such. I was not expecting them to make it this awesome though. The protagonist is new to the series, he seems to have a back story that will be explored as we go on through these episodes so I really can't say what they are going to do with this. Again alot is different from the game, for the better since it makes for something that is enjoyable to watch while for the game, gameplay had a much bigger role. I mean the transformation in the game can be done from the get go when you played and your character kicks major ass right from the start, unlike the MC in the show.

As for the art direction, I am actually a big fan of it just because it looks so different from everything out so far. They tried to mimic the look of the games with the heavy lighting and shadows, and I think it made for some interesting mixture that works. Can't wait to see more.

Now the question is, can we just fucking get the second game localized already?!

Ore Monogatari 1-14

I don't have much to say other than I absolutely love everything about this show.
Well, except Suna's sister. She really needs to learn how to let that ish go cause it's getting annoying.
I don't remember the last time I liked a series this strongly. And my grown ass over here succumbing to the insane amounts of cuteness on display here from Yamato. It kinda reminds me of Kimi ni Todoke.

Inou Battle 1-2

Not really sure what to think of this yet. It just hasn't grabbed me, but I kinda like so I'll keep watching. I'm a sucker for supernatural/super power stuff like this.

Prison School 1

I love it, and the art is fantastic! Of course, I already knew I would enjoy this since I'm a fan of the manga. Can't wait to see more.

Dennis

Banned
Is Assassination Classroom a good show?

I am sticking with Unlimited Bladeworks although it isn't as good as Fate/Zero.

Cornbread78

I really, really like this OP. The more I watch it the more I like it.

I am a big fan of OPs that shift with the music and tone and at 0:48 it does it brilliantly. I love that transition and shift. It's visually stunning the whole time and accompanies the music well. It hits all the right points for me.

Now I'm still really torn on my favorite OP between Clannad After Story, Angel Beats and Little Busters, they are all so good...

BTW, does anyone know why Effingvic is banned?

Mandelbo

Thought I'd give Symphogear a go, I'm about halfway through episode one and I have a question: are you supposed to take this seriously? It's really funny and I'm not sure it's supposed to be. The freeze frames with the move names in english are incredibly silly, and the way that a rogue piece of shrapnel almost kills the girl-who's-never-been-to-a-live-concert-before rather than the noise is comedy gold, but it's played very straight so far.

Narag

Thought I'd give Symphogear a go, I'm about halfway through episode one and I have a question: are you supposed to take this seriously? It's really funny and I'm not sure it's supposed to be. The freeze frames with the move names in english are incredibly silly, and the way that a rogue piece of shrapnel almost kills the girl-who's-never-been-to-a-live-concert-before rather than the noise is comedy gold, but it's played very straight so far.

There's a lot of melodrama that's not to be taken seriously all told.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 1-3

Well... That escalated quickly.

I am actually really enjoying this too. The OP and ED are whatever but the show itself is pretty entertaining to watch. I like shows like this. It doesn't take itself too seriously because it knows how ridiculous everything is. And that's awesome. I am sold.

jgminto

I am actually really enjoying this too. The OP and ED are whatever but the show itself is pretty entertaining to watch. I like shows like this. It doesn't take itself too seriously because it knows how ridiculous everything is. And that's awesome. I am sold.

hNtjEGf.png

Gbraga

You're in for a treat if you're already enjoying Phantom Blood. Battle Tendency is THE SHIT.

And you shut your mouth about the OP and ED. What the hell.

Roundabout is amazing man. Dat guitar playing before the ED is so good.

And how can one not get hyped after the SONO CHI NO SADAME followed by JOOOOOOOOOOOJO!

But regardless, I think OP2 is much better.

Gbraga

Roundabout is amazing man. Dat guitar playing before the ED is so good.

And how can one not get hyped after the SONO CHI NO SADAME followed by JOOOOOOOOOOOJO!

But regardless, I think OP2 is much better.

The last opening they used so far has to be the best.

End of ZA WAAAAARUDO was the hypest shit in the universe.

The lack of a Diamond is Unbreakable teaser had me worried. Don't do this to me, David.

Are you just joking? Don't know if this is supposed to be real or a joke. The Opening and Ending is one of the best things about the adaptation. How can you say that about Roundabout, like Roundabout. They are both blood pumping manliness.

Now if you say the same thing about the second Opening then there's gonna be a big problem.

Jojo has well thought out OPs and EDs. The OPs are visually a good compressed expression of the narrative of each part as well as musically setting the proper tone, while Roundabout in particular is extremely well used, with perfectly planned transitions into it at the ends of episodes. If you're dissing them, you're making a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom