• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Otakon schedule out.

I can't say I'm entirely pleased, but I'll manage somehow. My KyoAni History panel is at midnight on Friday (the only non 18+ panel at that time) while my Neuroscience via SAO panel is at 14:00 on Saturday. Otakon has me competing against Kirito's dub voice actor's panel and Love Live, so we'll see how that goes.

Shame I can't make the Pony Canyon panel (right before my SAO one and on the other side of the BCC).

cajunator

Banned
No you started on the right one. The general order to watch is by when they were released rather then timeline like so:

Bakemonogatari -> Bakemonogatari OVA* (Not all the episodes up on Crunchy since they needed to air the final 2 or 3 episodes later due to delays so you need to find them yourself in order to finish the Tsubua Cat arc)-> Nisemonogatari->Nekomonogatari: Kuro->Monogatari Second Season->Hanamonogatari->Tsukimonogatari

Tsuki is now up for preorder btw

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Overlord Episode 2:

2 minutes in and I am already dealing with stupid harem bickering and I now have an aching headache from it. Dropped for the time being, maybe pick back up if something worthwhile comes of this show. This is genuinely upsetting since they have a new angle to explore the trapped in the MMORPG premise and they decided to infest it with tried cliches about a cast we have yet to care about.

rEuIcjs.jpg

gyWYWNK.jpg

WMyUE0R.jpg

Opening: When the song starts off with an OHOHOHOH laugh, it's automatically good.
Ending: SOX is catchy as hell. I'm basically doomed since I know that't going to be stuck in my head for awhile.

So that was educational.

They're cause is actually quite noble.

A world where body melting is a mystery to the student populace, someone not understanding the meaning of saying something like urine out loud in public, or seeing nothing wrong with putting up a picture of a woman licking a mushroom between her breasts, would indeed be a boring one.

Mature

it was a pretty solid series of shorts.

some were better than others but overall definitely not bad at all.
I thought A Farewell to Weapons and Posessions were the stand outs with Combustible and Gambo being middling. Pretty solid altogether.

Otakon schedule out.

I can't say I'm entirely pleased, but I'll manage somehow. My KyoAni History panel is at midnight on Friday (the only non 18+ panel at that time) while my Neuroscience via SAO panel is at 14:00 on Saturday. Otakon has me competing against Kirito's dub voice actor's panel and Love Live, so we'll see how that goes.

Shame I can't make the Pony Canyon panel (right before my SAO one and on the other side of the BCC).
Both panels sound interesting. Good luck!

Sore ga Seiyuu! - 02

This episode emphasized on the struggles of low ranking seiyuu and loads of spaghetti being dropped.
Add to that strawberry-chans delusional smug hybris and some interesting facts about the industry and you get this episode. I find it pretty enjoyable, seeing the actors prepare by absorbing source material and living in the role as they work is cool.

New ED variations is pretty neat, last week was Eva, this time they did SZS

Hating on Papi
smdh

Don't tell me the d is what I think it is

Mandelbo

Sore ga Seiyuu! - 02

This episode emphasized on the struggles of low ranking seiyuu and loads of spaghetti being dropped.
Add to that strawberry-chans delusional smug hybris and some interesting facts about the industry and you get this episode. I find it pretty enjoyable, seeing the actors prepare by absorbing source material and living in the role as they work is cool.

New ED variations is pretty neat, last week was Eva, this time they did SZS

Don't tell me the d is what I think it is

The reaction shot in that second screen looks exactly like something out of Pani Poni Dash. Just an observation.

Overlord - 02

And with this , the prologue ends .
OverLord%20-%2002.jpg

Be carefull of what you wish
So far so good , overlord took his time but having the point of view of both momonga AND the guardians is needed ..they make as much the show as the MC.

They did trim a lot of material ( we didn't have the full explanations ) they did tell us the necessary things. so i guess the adaptation is coming in order properly.

I've read plenty of comments here about this episode , and i'm honnestly surprised I guess you all stopped before the anime explained why those scenes were there...( because they aren't there for a reason ).. for shame considering that overlord is one of the better written LN i've read in more than 10 years...and the anime , while slow hasn't done even 1% of the trash you can find in other franchises daily..

Rainy

Banned
Oh yeah what is it with them not drawing Darling's eyes 90% of the time in Monster Musume, it annoys me. Was it like that in the manga?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am wondering if the School Live OP is actually the real OP or if it is doing the thing like Madoka did with its ED?

Shokugeki no Soma 9

Soma lived up to my hopes when he grabbed the teacher's kaki no tane snack to use in his dish. When she started munching on them, I thought it was just a way to illustrate her lackadaisical personality, not a Chekov's gun. Clever approach, and it made for a unique breaded dish.

One thing I really like about this series is that, unlike your stereotypical shounen, the battles don't come down to who has the greater SHOUNEN HAATO, or who is rated higher in some arcane power level system. There's always a concrete explanation of why a dish succeeds, in both the ingredients chosen and the way they're put together, and while I'm no cooking expert, especially in Japanese cooking, the explanations certainly sound like they're grounded in reality. The explanations of the dishes are even better than some of the real-life reality cooking shows I've seen, which can be very vague at times as to why a dish passes or fails ("There's a lot of flavor here" or some other nonsense). It's also a refreshing difference from how a lot of anime treats cooking, where the key to success is "cook for someone you love", as if that will instantly make you a master chef.

As far as the ending scene goes, I normally dislike the "guy accidentally runs into girl in the bath" cliche, but Soma and Erina humming along with the ED song made it worthwhile.

Shokugeki no Soma 9

Soma lived up to my hopes when he grabbed the teacher's kaki no tane snack to use in his dish. When she started munching on them, I thought it was just a way to illustrate her lackadaisical personality, not a Chekov's gun. Clever approach, and it made for a unique breaded dish.

One thing I really like about this series is that, unlike your stereotypical shounen, the battles don't come down to who has the greater SHOUNEN HAATO, or who is rated higher in some arcane power level system. There's always a concrete explanation of why a dish succeeds, in both the ingredients chosen and the way they're put together, and while I'm no cooking expert, especially in Japanese cooking, the explanations certainly sound like they're grounded in reality. The explanations of the dishes are even better than some of the real-life reality cooking shows I've seen, which can be very vague at times as to why a dish passes or fails ("There's a lot of flavor here" or some other nonsense). It's also a refreshing difference from how a lot of anime treats cooking, where the key to success is "cook for someone you love", as if that will instantly make you a master chef.

As far as the ending scene goes, I normally dislike the "guy accidentally runs into girl in the bath" cliche, but Soma and Erina humming along with the ED song made it worthwhile.

The author has a culinary adviser, so all the dishes are real/possible, which helps it a lot

And the use of the ED as a lead-in for the end of the episode is good, I hope they do it with the 2nd ED too

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Culinary adviser is wrong on steak.

7/10 would not frequent restaurant of. Read seriouseats.com instead.

Mr.Jeff

Overlord Episode 2:

2 minutes in and I am already dealing with stupid harem bickering and I now have an aching headache from it. Dropped for the time being, maybe pick back up if something worthwhile comes of this show. This is genuinely upsetting since they have a new angle to explore the trapped in the MMORPG premise and they decided to infest it with tried cliches about a cast we have yet to care about.
In all honesty, it's a pretty throwaway scene. It's perhaps a few pages from the first novel. It's original purpose was more to show how they all have individual personalities different from their outward appearance to their "supreme leader". It's just unfortunate it's overwhelmed by the Shaltear/Albedo scene.

For what it's worth, there's nothing quite as over the top as that again for quite a while. Albedo makes some few annoying comments but to make a Soma analogy while it's on the page, she's the Erina of the show.

Next episode should have some fighting. Edit: Although no doubt, more of the godawful CG from the first ep. Great.

John Blade

Just watching few short from You're Under Arrest Mini Specials and gotta to say, I am not liking it as much as I hope for. It feel like they have to bring in more fan service for Miyuki and Natsumi figure and the the story feel a bit random without a story to go with unlike the other story from the TV show. I guess the 5 min per show is causing the issue which make sense.

Also, they're mixing the hand drawn animation with computer animation look. For now, it's majority in hand drawn like the 1st season TV show but you see hint of computer animation look here and there as of where I am now. It look fine right now but if it's like the summer special, then it will look weird. I might pause right now and go watch Last Exile. That is getting better so, might go watch it now.

The author has a culinary adviser, so all the dishes are real/possible, which helps it a lot

Does the manga come with recipes for the dishes featured in a chapter or something? I can't help but think that if these dishes actually are possible, it'd be a nice touch.

Like, I can just imagine a Shokugeki no Soma cooking book being released that teaches you how to cook the dishes the characters make in the show.

EDIT: Oh bugger me, how do I miss these things? >_<

Does the manga come with recipes for the dishes featured in a chapter or something? I can't help but think that if these dishes actually are possible, it'd be a nice touch.

Like, I can just imagine a Shokugeki no Soma cooking book being released that teaches you how to cook the dishes the characters make in the show.

And all the Volumes include instructions on how to make most of the dishes shown. So far I've only made the Chaliapin Steak Don, turned out good (though you will need a Asian supermarket nearby like me to get some ingredients).

So give it a try!
I can't cook for anything but it's not like a lot of the dishes are super elaborate.

okusan da-san >>>>>>>>> monmusu darling

Ever think the faceless man like Darling in Oku-san or the Admiral in Kancolle are actually the same guy in every show

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
In all honesty, it's a pretty throwaway scene. It's perhaps a few pages from the first novel. It's original purpose was more to show how they all have individual personalities different from their outward appearance to their "supreme leader". It's just unfortunate it's overwhelmed by the Shaltear/Albedo scene.

For what it's worth, there's nothing quite as over the top as that again for quite a while. Albedo makes some few annoying comments but to make a Soma analogy while it's on the page, she's the Erina of the show.

Next episode should have some fighting. Edit: Although no doubt, more of the godawful CG from the first ep. Great.

I'll give this a chance again next week, but these off topic elements are grinding my gears.

Pretty much .. People are jumping out of the ship , for a few scenes that have a purpose and that the anime explain their purpose later and are used to quickly explain the bunch of characters present for later..

I swear it's as if they had the wrong impression about the show from the start.

All of this could have been done better with another director but most of what was show was necessary for this arc or the next arcs

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yes, most of the recipe are featured in the tankoubon ver. So far i've tried Chaliapin steak and Souffle omelette, and it work just as advertised.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Most of the dishes are based on real recipes or real dishes so they're all theoretically executable if you know the ratios.

Except for Alice's stuff I have no idea if that's real.

Acosta

Overlord 2

Slow but I quite enjoyed the exposition to the characters and their vision of the Overlord. The faces of Albedo are hilarious (and a bit creepy) I kinda like her design. The flying scene was great.

Glad to hear the source material is good, I really like this new perspective of the trapped in the MMO approach. Really looking for the third episode and seeing things in movement.

Monsters Musume
The show is too lewd for my liking, but it´s SO absurd that I'm kinda curious to see how deep goes the rabbit hole.

Also, I'm hoping the finale is darling being eaten alive. That would be interesting!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pretty much .. People are jumping out of the ship , for a few scenes that have a purpose and that the anime explain their purpose later and are used to quickly explain the bunch of characters present for later..

I swear it's as if they had the wrong impression about the show from the start.

All of this could have been done better with another director but most of what was show was necessary for this arc or the next arcs

Not everybody here has read the Overlord LNs, I do not know what this things is and the things it hits me with are out of place ecchi elements and devolutions into harem cliches. It is only because I can see the core potential in this series that I will give it another chance. It is the busiest time of the season and shows get cut for very thin reasons at the moment.

Most of the dishes are based on real recipes or real dishes so they're all theoretically executable if you know the ratios.

Except for Alice's stuff I have no idea if that's real.

I don't see why Alice's stuff couldn't be real, she just doesn't lean on a certain culture's food and has a rather unique style. Not like I actually know anything about gastroenterology or the science of culinary and cooking

Also, I'm hoping the finale is darling being eaten alive. That would be interesting!

That may or may not happen with the slime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom