• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nrj2n9e21e1rayk5go1_540.gif
The Reaper Arc continues strong with Yaemon's true plan revealed as well as some more insight into Gintoki's past. I'm glad more arcs are incorporating his past as it continues to build on one of the best characters in anime. Gintama is the best as it usual dwells on silly comedy moments yet it still reminds us that out goofy hero isn't a nice guy as he's killed all his life and is a known criminal. It's just a difficult transition to turn a comedy show into such an amazing drama yet Gintama continues to achieve this with ease. Next week is sadly of this arc yet I hope Asaemon is a permanent addition to the cast but I fear that she'll meet her demise next week. I'm excited for next week as it looks like it'll give us a great fight to end this great arc. This episode also gave us some much needed KaguraxSougo love.
tumblr_nrj2f54SWP1r41zr3o5_400.png
tumblr_nrj2f54SWP1r41zr3o4_400.jpg
tumblr_nrj2f54SWP1r41zr3o3_400.jpg
tumblr_nrj2f54SWP1r41zr3o2_400.jpg

I can't wait to watch this episode of Gintama, I've been loving how the series has been revealing bits and bits of Gintoki's past. This current arc has been great so far.

Jex

Ataru is the only harem protagonist with actual personality.

Of course, all the girls hate him with the exception of Lum, who he himself hates, so it's not exactly your typical harem. Helps that it came before the genre really took off.

It's funny that, very briefly, Urusei Yatsura is more of a legitimate love triangle with both Lum and Shinobu angling for Ataru's attentions. In other, lesser works, I feel the author would stick to that dynamic but I'm glad that Takahasi was more creative than that.

Jex

firehawk makes so many live action tv references with every post he's kind of like the Cline of this thread.

That's the most brutal burn I've read all year.
I'm writing my novel now.

Her name is Mariko, but she preferrs her online handle "Asuna". A living embodiment of her avatar's namesake, Mariko is as athletic as a Japanese warrior princess trained in the arts of ninjitsu and bushido but also has grace of a geisha, a living embodiment of the yamato nadeshiko values that defined the perfect Japanese woman. Yet despite her nobility, she was also an otaku at heart and enjoyed letting her hair down from time to time. When not wearing a kimono, she would playfully don her maid uniform and nekomimi, appending the ~nyan suffix to every teasing sentence that she spoke.

On these occasions, she would gently nudge me be calling me Gord-shuujin-sama, a playful nickname she imagined for me based on my the Japanese term for master and my name, Gordon. She was certainly different from the other woman in my life, Kirino, who would call me Gordo-baka every time she was mad at me.

This thread sure got weird.

Mandelbo

Just pointing out that Okada wrote Red Garden almost 5 years before Madoka came out. It's not as if Madoka was the first of it's kind or anything.

Yeah, I understand that Madoka wasn't the original dark magical girl story. I meant more in terms of characters - Ruko being the timid girl who at first has no wish,
but later decides she wants to use her wish to end the game, having her friends succumb to the game while being seemingly powerless to help,
Yuzuki being the equivalent of Sayaka in that she is Ruko's best friend and
shows her the consequences the game can bring (she becomes a LRIG, Sayaka becomes a witch,) while also failing to make her wish come completely true (her LRIG inherits her body so she can't be with the one she loves, while Sayaka can't be with the one she loves because Kyousuke never loved her to begin with,)
Iona being the stoic, isolated type that might be Homura's equivalent, but I never saw S2 so I can't judge there. Story beats are similar too, and while I get that it isn't outright stealing from Madoka I think the influence is certainly there.

After this talk about it, I wanted to ask if Urusei Yatsura is any good but...195 episodes? I'll probably pass either way.
While I've initially shat on the series to spite Envelope I do think it looks interesting but I'd never pick up a series that long unless it was currently airing and I was already on board.

cajunator

Banned
I watched episode 1-8 of Space Dandy together with my girlfriend.
We were looking for an anime we can watch while eating dinner and from the few things I knew about the series I though this anime should work.
It did, we really liked it.
I guess this is what happens when you mix Cowboy Bebop with something like FLCL ,and also animate it really well.
Interestingly enough the anime also has a few more serious episodes and they work pretty well,too.

Thats a really good description of what its like.
I love space adventure craziness like that, stretching back to watching Galaxy High and stuff.

Wakaba Girl - 02

aots

You present a very strong argument!

For those of you who have seen Plastic Memories to the end, here's something you probably didn't notice in each episode's OP.

Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Just pointing out that Okada wrote Red Garden almost 5 years before Madoka came out. It's not as if Madoka was the first of it's kind or anything.

Its as if people dont remember in Sailor Moon
the inner senshi all get extremely brutally murdered

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 3
CJ9JPxmWwAAHTpn.jpg

Dinosaur Ryuzaki faces are the best. Too bad Mai Kujaku had to be all mean like that. Maybe next time.

I love Yu-Jo friendship scenes, theyre so good in JPN.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
While I've initially shat on the series to spite Envelope I do think it looks interesting but I'd never pick up a series that long unless it was currently airing and I was already on board.
Heathen

P.s. UY is the best, don't let the length put you off

I think I'm done with long series for a while after Gintama, but if I were to watch another one it would be
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Then UY.

Jex

After this talk about it, I wanted to ask if Urusei Yatsura is any good but...195 episodes? I'll probably pass either way.

I mean, yes, it's very good. You could halve that episode count by only watching the Oshii directed part of the series although that still leaves you with a lot of episodes to watch.

If you're truly pushed for time you should just watch the movie Beautiful Dreamer.

Mature

It helps that it's entirely episodic. I've been watching it sporadically for over a year now; I just throw on an episode when i'm in the mood.

I think I'm done with long series for a while after Gintama, but if I were to watch another one it would be
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Then UY.

How are you gonna be done with Gintama if it's still ongoing, you forgot it has a new season that's continuing for god knows how long.

You will never be done with Gintama.😏

cajunator

Banned
I decided Im just gonna forgo alphabetizing my anime collection. Im just gonna throw it all randomly on the shelf. Its too large to put in order anymore.

Hmm sounds like Urusei Yatsura is at least worth checking out and if I end up liking it enough I can just do it as Mature and watch it slowly over the years.

Should the first bunch of episodes make a mediocre impression I'll watch the movie(s) instead.

Mature

Hmm sounds like Urusei Yatsura is at least worth checking out and if I end up liking it enough I can just do it as Mature and watch it slowly over the years.

Should the first bunch of episodes make a mediocre impression I'll watch the movie(s) instead.
It's generally considered that the show doesn't come into its own until the 20's (when it drops the two stories per episode format). However, I enjoyed it from the very start, so who knows.

PK Gaming

Danmachi 3-4

The Danmachi's universe is really appealing; there's this joy to watching this show play out that's akin to experiencing an RPG. The music, atmosphere, characters and events... it's all reminiscent of your classic RPG, which really rocks. The show suffers from being very cliched, though it also makes a good case for cliched things not being completely awful. In any case, it feels like it's building up to something great here, so I hope it doesn't let me down in that regard.

PS: Loki is the best. When's the spinoff starring Loki and her guild.

Szadek

Gakkou Gurashi! 01
Not quite what I expected,but really good non the less. I wonder what else the show has to offer.

My plan for this season looks like this:
Watching:
Ushio to Tora
Snow White with the Red Hair
Charlotte
Gakkou Gurashi!

Might drop:
Overlord (1 more episode to win me over)
God Eater ( I will give it 1 or 2 more episodes)

Dropped:
Gate
Chaos Dragon

Are there any other show of this season worth checking out?

phaze

Gakkou Gurashi! 01
Not quite what I expected,but really good non the less. I wonder what else the show has to offer.

Watching:
Ushio to Tora
Charlotte
Gakkou Gurashi!

Might drop:

Dropped:
Gate
Chaos Dragon

If you can stomach and enjoy the low brow humour and general absurdity that it has in spades, then Shimoneta. Two quite decent episodes so far + best ED

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Overall Thoughts
Thus, a final performance of love, joy, passion, sorrow, and lost. The final goodbye a musician can make.

The ending is a bittersweet one, and is not one to be sad about, but one to be joyful, a celebration of memories and life.

I recommend Your Lie in April wholeheartedly like I will with Molester Man and the rest of my recommendation. It's been a fun ride.

Gakkou Gurashi! 01

Watching:
Ushio to Tora
Charlotte
Gakkou Gurashi!

Might drop:

Dropped:
Gate
Chaos Dragon

Worth watching
- Charlotte
- Umaru-chan

If you like lewd things
- Prison School
- MonMusu

Good sequels
- Gatchaman Crowds: Insight
- Non Non Biyori
- Working!!!

Working!! 01-06

Narag: The Anime

L8OPbtE.gif

So much bullying. :(

Satou is the biggest bully in anime.

Jex

I mean....
It's generally considered that the show doesn't come into its own until the 20's (when it drops the two stories per episode format). However, I enjoyed it from the very start, so who knows.

Yeah that's basically the case. If you're not digging it at the start you can just skip to when it drops the two stories per week format. As the show develops the Oshii influence becomes more...apparent but it starts as more of a straight adaptation.

Himouto Umaru-chan 02

OP is probably the best part of this show.

I just don't think the skits are very good, so dropped.

Gintama 175

Gintoki x Hijikata shippers must also like this episode because it involves them getting big drills in their mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom