• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Yea, dude was a lazy cat god thing, just wanted to eat some sushi. A more enjoyable comic tone that'd be at home with the series pre-saiyan saga aka before dragonball got shit.

I mean, I disagree about the bolded too but to focus on that comic tone, it's not like Z was devoid of that. There was still lots of that to be found sprinkled throughout and I'd argue that Buu saga was more goofy than large parts of DB. The piccolo arc in particular.

Darker Than Black episodes 1-25

Great OP. Lin is love.

Clearly, you need to watch OVA's and second season.

i53wcju14uj1.png

Shin Mazinger Z 04-05

I think I finally got accustomed to the general campiness of the narrative and the art style. For a story that is pretty much one non-stop fight since episode 1, it manages to stay surprisingly captivating so far. Though I wish some of the dialogue explaining various attacks and stuff wasn't so long winded. Will probably stick with it till the end. Especially since it now seems like episode 1, probably wasn't set at the very end of the story and the current events will soon catch up to that.

-The enthusiastic narrator cracks me up.

-I'm salty that Daimos didn't get a similar treatment. I would worship more "Kazuyaaaaaa with this level of execution and episodic fat trimmed down. I'd be able to finally, after 20 years, finish that show.

Lain

Chaos Dragon 2

Thanks to anime magic, Kai magically knows that Ibuki
killed the girl yet doesn't know he was forced and how much he struggled to stop his hand and that the girl was fine with giving her life.
If that wasn't enough, there's the thing about the mixed research group which makes no sense because why would such a thing between the 3 countries exist. So this keeps being bad.

Shimoneta 1-2

Premise is silly, execution is silly and I had fun watching it, so I'll keep following. Also I love that girl's laugh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FgmqBuol.png

Oh god I wish this was an anime.

It even has the right title length: I'm the Main Character of a Harem Manga, but I'm Gay so Every Day is Hell for Me.

phaze

Classroom Crisis

I don't frigging know this is sci-fi show, I thought this is the echii show that everyone freaking out?

You mistook it for Prison School probably ?

Or maybe you thought School Live was ecchi and that was why everyone was freaking out.

About God Eater I'm a fan of the game myself and the anime artstyle looks so unique and good. Though it did take some time to get use to but man once you do you start to appreciate it. However I'm a bit cautious on the storyline because the game's storyline wasn't bad by any means but the anime could easily screw up.

Hopefully that isn't the case.

Yeah it took me a few moments to get used to it. By the time we got the first "timespan" camera angle of the GodEater's facility I was totally sold on the whole package. Show woozes style, all they need to do now is keep the momentum going for the rest of the cour.

Damn your avatar is way too good. I forbid you from changing it.

Heh thanks. I was looking for an avatar that I would be able to use full time, all my other ones were more about whatever I was playing at the moment. I like to mess around with Photoshop lol.

You mean Prison School or what? Classroom Crisis is super boring by the way, worst show of the season in my opinion.

I really want to give this show a chance. Going by this show's genres on anicharts I thought that this was going to be my slice of life/romance of the season. My replacement of SNAFU :'( Probably not gonna happen. I'm giving it another week or two before I drop it.

Quasar

Man. MAL streaming anime. What's the world coming to?

Of course Anime Planet has done this for a while. Not that anyone cares about anime planet :)

Mendrox

It's about Momo making a harem because she knows she can't beat her sister or Haruna. Polygamy is okay as the Emperor of Deviluke. You need concubines as a ruler of the universe.

Can't wait for Nemesis to show up, and then conclusion of the story. The last episodes are going to be fantastic.

Darkness is still running and there will never be a conclusion except for "Rito fucks them all" and I would be okay with it.

That's all rather neat.

Honestly, reading this I just randomly got the thought that I want an anime about learning English (for Japanese) that, while educational, is actually fun and has a bunch of good characters too. In that way similar to Shirobako.

Maybe it could be just this kind of school setting where an or multiple English teacher and a couple students are the main characters. It would probably need to have a higher focus on comedy than drama than Shirobako and less about one continuous semi-realistic portrayal of a generic teacher's and students' life.

Really though, if you can package up the educational bits in an actually competent show instead of some dry bore, that could be a really nice way for children/teenagers to keep at least the basics in mind, as a well done show can be very memorable.

Silver Spoon also comes to mind doing s.th. similar with agriculture, livestock etc.

fertygo

You mean Prison School or what? Classroom Crisis is super boring by the way, worst show of the season in my opinion.

Couldn't be technically worse than Bikini Warriors

I dig the Student Employment setting, and the show being basically workplace drama with weird "defending the club" trope injection.

I like it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember there being one of those 3 minute "learn Engrish" animes awhile ago.

But really, the problem is that no one Japanese can write that story because the whole point is the foreign nature of it all. It's like that one teacher who had a blog who talked about how kids kept trying to jam their thumbs up his ass, among other things that Japanese kids seem to want to do with teachers.

(You'd probably also want to avoid any mention of the casual racism, so you probably won't have a black English language teacher in any kind of manga/anime for example :p)

Couldn't be technically worse than Bikini Warriors

I dig the Student Employment setting, and the show being basically workplace drama with weird "defending the club" trope injection.

I like it.

Eh, It's just that right now I don't find any of the plot points that intriguing, maybe later on but at the moment it's all looking a little meh.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Trying to watch classroom crisis but it IS really slow and I havn't found anything that intrests me in it other than the setting.

I'll continue to watch it but might drop it if it doesn't get better.

OceanBlue

Damn didn't realize most people don't like Classroom Crisis. The weird thing is that the way people feel about Classroom Crisis is the way I feel about the other shows in watching this season: Rokka no Yuusha and Charlotte.

Not that I can't see where people are coming from. Episode 2 was not that amazing and if you're not interested in the subplots, you're aren't interested. It's just that, to me, Classroom Crisis has a lot of momentum for interesting character interactions that the other shows I'm watching haven't really shown yet. Well, ignoring that I already know what's going to happen in Rokka no Yuusha lol.

Jintor

Personally I'd love to see a serious look at the English teaching experience.

You know a state sponsored foreigner in every jhs has been official policy for close to two decades? You'd never guess if you weren't looking into teaching English overseas

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Also thinking of starting to watch Gintama after I'm done with kill la kill.

But that episode count scares, I'll never get that far (atleast for a long time)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Personally I'd love to see a serious look at the English teaching experience.

You know a state sponsored foreigner in every jhs has been official policy for close to two decades? You'd never guess if you weren't looking into teaching English overseas
There was Anna-sensei in that loli baseball show. lol
But it's not like teachers are characters in high school anime anyway.

Funny enough, I was searching Google just to see if anything would come up and found this article:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/...glish-teaching-to-get-into-the-anime-industry
Thurlow says the English teaching job was “absolutely necessary” in getting a foothold in Japan and bringing him closer to the anime industry.
He got hired by a subcontractor eventually:
An artist typically earns ¥100 per drawing, which Thurlow says translates into an income of ¥500 to ¥2,500 a day or ¥30,000 a month.
And then moved on to Pierrot itself.

Also thinking of starting to watch Gintama after I'm done with kill la kill.

But that episode count scares, I'll never get that far (atleast for a long time)
The thing is, it's "sitcomey" enough that if you understand the basic tropes that each character represents, you could pretty much get into the show at any natural season opening starting point and be fine. I started at episode 200 when it came back after the break (and made the switch to widescreen) and eventually went backwards, and I don't feel like I missed anything by doing so.

There's continuity, but it's not crucial to the point where you would lose something by skipping to an awesome arc.

Gbraga

Nyanpasu, AnimeGAF

Woah. I didn't know there was a Space Pirate Harlock anime. Gonna have to check it out. I watched the CG movie earlier this year on Netflix and thought it was awesome.

So it is good, then? I was internally debating if I should watch it, my prejudice against CG movies made me assume it wasn't good. Not being familir with the franchise didn't help.

Samurai Flamenco 7

Finally got to this episode.

Now I understand all the WTF reactions I've read here about this episode in particular.

Seriously. I wasn't expecting that at all.

THIS ISN'T EVEN ITS FINAL FORM

Gangsta 03

i5IH8hR.png

mvEHLPg.gif

I don't get it

sonicmj1

Oh god the flashbacks.

I miss teaching in Japan sometimes.

That's all rather neat.

Honestly, reading this I just randomly got the thought that I want an anime about learning English (for Japanese) that, while educational, is actually fun and has a bunch of good characters too. In that way similar to Shirobako.

Maybe it could be just this kind of school setting where an or multiple English teacher and a couple students are the main characters. It would probably need to have a higher focus on comedy than drama than Shirobako and less about one continuous semi-realistic portrayal of a generic teacher's and students' life.
I kind of hoped Kiniro Mosaic would be a little like this and it wasn't.

Anime studios don't seem to talk to foreigners that much.

Cornbread78

Ok, my head is starting to spin.
From my MAL, what should the next three series I watch be after I'm done with Fate and Full Moon Wo Sagashite:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78&status=6

I like more mature age settings, and looking for a good Slice of Life with relationship stuff, Romance or Romcom series.

I know there is that music one that supposed to be pretty good... but too many to choose from here...

Go watch Kotonoha no Niwa, it's pretty short and sweet, and fits precisely what you're looking for. I love it, Shinkai's best work, imo.

Sounds good..

Which question, "what should I watch"? But I did answer
COmHQB2.png

O' crap, my bad, I missd this last night.

Gbraga

And I missed that you also listed Wolf Children. Yeah, definitely watch that as well.

I put them both among the best stuff to come out in the last few years. Wolf Children is a better film, but they're both great.

This is the cutest thing!

I wonder how my students would react if they asked me what my favorite animes are
aPg9e4u.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Here's my JET LN pitch:

I'm Convinced My English Teacher is Actually the Archangel Michael

jgminto

Ore Monogatari 15
Might have been the best episode yet? The tone throughout the episode was surprisingly effective and they did a great job with building tension even though it's obvious how strong Takeo's feeling are for Yamato.

So it is good, then? I was internally debating if I should watch it, my prejudice against CG movies made me assume it wasn't good. Not being familir with the franchise didn't help.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome, but you should know, there's not much I don't think is great, so admittedly, I may not be the best judge on quality. I've enjoyed (to varying degrees) basically every anime I've ever watched in my life. Well, except for Rail Wars. That is without a doubt, complete trash.

Jintor

Speaking of workshopping concepts around, I saw one 4koma where the premise was the main character was the homeroom teacher of a class of anime MCs

"NO FIGHTING MAGICAL RIVALS IN THE HALLWAYS"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do they all just pile in the back of the room by the window.

I think the best set up would be a normal girl who has to deal with being surrounded by shounen protags.

Gbraga

Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome, but you should know, there's not much I don't think is great, so admittedly, I may not be the best judge on quality. I've enjoyed (to varying degrees) basically every anime I've ever watched in my life. Well, except for Rail Wars. That is without a doubt, complete trash.

I'll trust your positivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom