• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Charlotte: The pilot was awful, yet, for some unknown reason, I decided to check out the second episode. I'm a fucking idiot. I would rather play Russian roulette than watch any more of this anime abortion.

Gangsta.: I haven't seen the third episode yet, but I'm definitely sticking with it. I like the neo-noir feel. The "silent" protagonist cliché is quite tired, but at least this one has a "reason" for it. There's a lot of backstory here, and that should be fun to uncover provided the writers don't fall into heavy-handed exposition. Also, I hope the writers don't make the protagonists out to be too good. All of the music has been amazing.

GATE: Snoop Dogg and Pharrell can best sum up my feelings for this.

God Eater: Finally got around to the première. The opening and ending themes were great. The score was really good. You can tell this was adapted from a video game (though I never played them). Although the pacing was a little off, the episode was still pretty good. I also like that the writers chose not to give us some big exposition-heavy origin story for the Aragami or the main character. That kept the episode brisk, but in spots, it was a little too disjointed.

So far, the characters are pretty standard for an anime, but that's okay for now. The action, animation, art, and overall style are fantastic, enough to keep me around for a few episodes. But I think there will be enough here for me to finish it because it seems interesting enough. I hope this is this season's surprise anime as Rage of Bahamut: Genesis was for its season.

Rokka no Yuusha: Great opening and ending. Fantastic art and animation. Best protagonist of the season. The story is pretty standard so far, but the show is funny, heartfelt without being sappy, and it has handled the relationship between the two protagonists and their need to share their backstories quite well.

Ushio to Tora: Awesome.

I remember there being one of those 3 minute "learn Engrish" animes awhile ago.

But really, the problem is that no one Japanese can write that story because the whole point is the foreign nature of it all. It's like that one teacher who had a blog who talked about how kids kept trying to jam their thumbs up his ass, among other things that Japanese kids seem to want to do with teachers.

(You'd probably also want to avoid any mention of the casual racism, so you probably won't have a black English language teacher in any kind of manga/anime for example :p)

Yeh a really good, foreign English teacher or linguist as advisor would be pretty much a necessity. If not that, at least a very good Japanese one, you know one that got his English down nigh perfectly and has enough cultural experience.

Stuff like proper pronunciation of both Japanese and English would be a requirement. There's nothing worse than listening to bad or downright false pronunciation when learning a new language. On the other hand, you could make plenty episodes pertaining to the difficulties and disparities between these two languages.

The nice thing is, that this would be helpful for the English audience almost as much if properly subbed. I for one would've really enjoyed such a show. In my case I got so frustrated being incapable of voicing the god damn 'R' correctly when I was watching Ergo Proxy with 'Rei' as main MC, that I looked up lots of stuff on the internet, particularly YouTube so I could listen and see the mouth movement (s.th. which animation can portray especially well!). Being German myself, this video was particularly helpful and I kept rewatching and repeating after her, getting quite solid at the (basic) pronunciation in 1-2 weeks.

Gbraga

My vote.

So extreme and cool, I can't get those shit-eating grin enough.

BTW Still undisputed best ED

Will Soma's ending still be the same this season? If so, then there's no contest.

Gangsta.: I haven't seen the third episode yet, but I'm definitely sticking with it. I like the neo-noir feel. The "silent" protagonist cliché is quite tired, but at least this one has a "reason" for it. There's a lot of backstory here, and that should be fun to uncover provided the writers don't fall into heavy-handed exposition. Also, I hope the writers don't make the protagonists out to be too good. All of the music has been amazing.
Depending on what you mean by "too good", you might be pleased when you watch Episode 3.

Ushio to Tora: Awesome.

I love how this says enough about it, haha. Ushio to Tora is really damn good.

I've read a few chapters of the Overlord LN, to see what type of series is really.

Basically, this is another GATE. It's all about powerful OP main characters obliterating the other side, or npcs saying "ohh this isn't possible! this is too awesome! this is beyond legend's possibilities! how it could be! " Again and again, and again.
Except instead of being modern SDF vs ancient fantasy romans, it's level 100 MMO guys vs level 1-5 npcs.

Add to that the whole MMO aspect with stilted narration thanks to all the explaining of rules and magical effects and special skills that please so much the MMO people and throw in there some fanservice and situations to pander even more
body pillow of bones-sama, lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Ushio to Tora would like to have a word with you

Honestly I don't find the OP interesting in any fashion other than a few of the earlier quick cuts. I feel like most OPs just fell into the 'good' camp this season. Gangsta had interesting color usage, Charlotte had a focus on motion, Arslan's had some interesting symbolism with drowning in blood and 'sword from the stone'.

Chaos Dragon 1

It has dragons. I like dragons. I can't not watch it. I'm a simple man, you see.

But seriously, I liked what I saw. It was pretty 'by the books' though. I have no real complaints other than the terrible design some of these characters have. How anyone could think some of these outfits are acceptable is beyond me.

Squalor

Depending on what you mean by "too good", you might be pleased when you watch Episode 3.
I know they're the protagonists, but in an anime like this, I don't want them to be "good guys" who come to every prostitutes rescue for no actual reason.

The term "antihero" is way overused these days. I don't want them to be "antiheroes," per se, but I certainly don't want them to have hearts of gold.

That doesn't fit this world, and it has been done to death. With that said, your teaser is really making me look forward to the episode.
I love how this says enough about it, haha. Ushio to Tora is really damn good.
I was being lazy by the time I had gotten to it. I probably should have just left off Charlotte and GATE, but UTT really doesn't need more than what I wrote.

Jintor

If the next panel is true as well I guess the nonchalance of pupils in regards to talking about breasts etc. may not be for the most part anime made up either!?!? Hope the changing room groping ain't real @_@

i don't know about changing room groping, but seriously... norms are different.

actually the most surprising thing to me is that boys will routinely sit in each other's laps without the slightest hint of even thinking it's gay.

(they also keep asking 'show me pussy' and I don't think they actually know what they're asking, except that it's rude)

Theonik

If the next comic is true as well I guess the nonchalance of pupils in regards to talking about breasts etc. may not be for the most part anime made up either!?!? Hope the changing room groping ain't real @_@
I mentioned it here before but it definitely is common.

Pillow Boys Episode 1
CKCXXzLUwAAztxh.jpg

Was surprised to turn on CR this morning and see it. He was hilarious though not my favorite. Red hair looks the best.Also best part of the OP

Gbraga

I know they're the protagonists, but in an anime like this, I don't want them to be "good guys" who come to every prostitutes rescue for no actual reason.

The term "antihero" is way overused these days. I don't want them to be "antiheroes," per se, but I certainly don't want them to have hearts of gold.

That doesn't fit this world, and it has been done to death. With that said, your teaser is really making me look forward to the episode.

Oh yeah, you'll definitely enjoy episode 3. Please be excited.

i don't know about changing room groping, but seriously... norms are different.

actually the most surprising thing to me is that boys will routinely sit in each other's laps without the slightest hint of even thinking it's gay.

(they also keep asking 'show me pussy' and I don't think they actually know what they're asking, except that it's rude)

Heh interesting.

I mentioned it here before but it definitely is common.

Guess I won't bash that trope quite as hard then anymore...

Cornbread78

Naikamo ep.7-END
tumblr_mcmjq3U6V91rnf5opo1_500.gif

The last few episodes were pretty good watching the plot play-out and the mystery of it all was pretty good. (Although, I called it early, lol) However, the presentation and tone didn't match the content in my opinion. There was some funny moments, some cute moments adn definately a lot of ecchi stuff early on. Either way, for being another "harem$hit" anime, it kept me entertained throughout. Oh and it had a typical harem anime ending.... blahhhh. Best girl never wins..

Chaos Dragon 2

Man, this show is a lot darker than I expected. Cool. The fact that MC can't just use this super powerful ability
without
sacrificing
another
is interesting. That makes the dragon seem like a dick, though.

Chaos Dragon 2

Man, this show is a lot darker than I expected. Cool. The fact that MC can't just use this super powerful ability
without
sacrificing
another
is interesting. That makes the dragon seem like a dick, though.

Why would you ever spoiler tag the title?

phaze

Shin Mazinger Z 06

fullversion_60e3ba3604bj5c.gif

Shin Mazinger Z 07

You'd think that when someone titles himself Dr Hell, people, and especially esteemed professor of robotics, would at least note that there is a significant chance he might not be a very good guy.

-----

Haven't seen a whole lot but so far, Ushio to Tora and Naruto are the highlights when it comes to openings this season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 2:

Maybe a better name for this show would be Zom Zom Biyori? At any rate, the veneer is pulled off somewhat and is now intermingled with the bug fuck insanity that is Yuki Takeya. Though this series is seemingly about more people then her, although with the lines of fact and fiction being this blurred, everybody and everything could be just another delusion. Anyway, some focus is given Kurumi Ebisuzawa and her backstory and it delivering such a delicious blow to the Notice Me Sempai! trope. Not sure where they are going with this series, which keeps me intrigued, but I am not sure how much is left in the tank so to speak.

Gbraga

Personally I feel Charlotte has the best OP this season.

In a way it's like Fate/stay nights UBW OP2 in that it grew on me more and more every time I watched it until it became one of my favorites. It also helps that the show is pretty good in of itself too!

The animation of Charlotte's OP is pretty good, but the music is eeh.

EDIT: Oh god, School Live 2 is out, can't wait to get home. What a ride that first episode was. Even then, I'm somewhat worried they won't be able to keep our attention without the twist anymore, if it wasn't for the twist at the end, it would be very very boring and I'd drop it, so if they'll just keep using the same thing every episode, I don't think it'll work.

TraBuch

Banned
What's the consensus on Space Dandy? Decided that of the anime I've missed over the last few years, that'll be the first one I watch.

Squalor

What's the consensus on Space Dandy? Decided that of the anime I've missed over the last few years, that'll be the first one I watch.
I think the general consensus is favorable.

I'm much more mixed about it, though. For as many ways as it's unique and flashy and cool and interesting, it's also just as blatant, bland, cliché, and obvious.

There are maybe three or four episodes I would care to rewatch.

Theonik

Space Dandy is really an omnibus sort of series. Different episodes made by different directors exploring different ideas and styles in a 'Dandy of the Week' sort of arrangement.

Think Mushishi but dandier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom