• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Empire of Corpses PV. This is the Project Itoh film being directed by Ryoutarou Makihara at Wit Studio. It'll release on October 2.
Don't know much about this project, but thought it looked okay until the part with the lady in the white dress.

73TXD5H.gif

Cornbread78

Hang in there!
Give it a watch! Its one of the most underrated anime. Oh god its one of my favorite things.

Saber is like the worst character in Zero.

Well at least you like Rider, although he's so much better than Saber.

Yeah, it was a close one, Rider is fun to follow and his power is immense, although, I can already see how it will be broken in the future.

cornbread is our future, our legacy.

well, not really....

TraBuch

Banned
Five episodes into Space Dandy and I'm enjoying it so far. Humor's a bit lowbrow, but eh, whatever, I can enjoy lowbrow humor. The fact that the episodes don't seem to be connected in any way kinda put me off at first, but I've gotten over it. Thought episode five did a nice job humanizing Dandy a bit.

cajunator

Banned
Five episodes into Space Dandy and I'm enjoying it so far. Humor's a bit lowbrow, but eh, whatever, I can enjoy lowbrow humor. The fact that the episodes don't seem to be connected in any way kinda put me off at first, but I've gotten over it. Thought episode five did a nice job humanizing Dandy a bit.

Well the special edition set has a big card marked BOOBIES. Its the very definition of lowbrow humor.

Narag

There's an episode each for QT & Meow akin to Dandy's that's episode 5 that I really enjoyed. Honestly thought the show was at its best when it wasn't just crude humor and something substantial instead.

School Live 2

Wait, these are high schoolers?! And Megu
is real and an adult
?! What the hell. Anyway, this is just too cute, yet so depressing and disturbing. I love it.

Phatmac

Our gang of cute anime girls trying to survive a zombie apocalypse isn't going well with only one of them being armed and combat ready. The lack of supplies is also a concern. The thing sets this apart is the strange transition between depression and cuteness which keep you from being too sad during the show. It's still depressing to see her be in her own world which will have consequences for sure. Kurume is doing her best as a shovel knight as the highlight of the show.

There are legitimate complaints to be made. I even mentioned some myself. I just give very little credence to the complaints of people who traffic in those crowds.

Oh, you're one of those people who needlessly feels as though you should "empathize" with characters.

Sorry, that's not how media work. Anyone can write a character any average person can "empathize with" and "relate to." It takes actual skill to write a character the audience can learn to understand even if the character is unlikable. The show developed its characters through traits and dialogue. It didn't lean on exposition as a lot of anime do. It also didn't strong arm the audience into liking its characters as a lot of anime do. For some people, that's an issue. But it's irrelevant from a critical standpoint.

Oh you mean it takes skill to write a character someone can empathize with, disregarding what kind of character it is?

Yeh that's what the show failed at. The sole reason Nine and Twelve do their terrorist acts is their involvement and abuse within that secret prodigy children project. Now that is a proper reason to be mad about the authorities involved but here it gets tricky. Incinerating a public skyscraper to gain attention is fucking messed up because, if nothing else, you're running this massive risk of killing innocent citizens. However, and here comes the poor writing into play, because the director clearly didn't want us to dislike the protagonists and thus miraculously no one gets hurt. Presumably because our protagonists are just the best and they surely calculated all risks. Eh..including falling debris...and a bunch of other factors that are simply out of reach even if you're a super genius.

That applies for most of their other terrorist attacks, especially the fucking EMP bomb that would likely cause the deaths of thousands.

Then I wondered at some point why, after having gotten so much attention to their YouTube channel already, don't they just tell the public what happened to them. I mean that's your goal right? To let people know what messed up shit happened to them.

But they don't do that because reasons unknown and instead we're introduced to Five, a particularly ludicrous character, who's weirdly enough allowed to blow shit up and kill people because well, reasons unknown, once again. Our geniuses play some nonsensical game of chess in the airport and from thereon it just never recovers. I think at some point the show even wants us to empathize with Five as she's just another oh so tragic character but nah, it doesn't work. Very little works out in the end as many smaller plot elements and poorly written characters add up to a mess of a narrative.

Just kidding. I actually cannot stand this show due to the lack of hot spring episode and titties.

Symphogear - 11 & 12
this team flare lookin dude is ballin, truly the best sympho. I didn't know Jaden Smith was in this.
hibiki divine ascension? unless they were merely pretending to be dead! you better fuck some shit up with your break-dancing or I'm going to be disappointed

Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Shadow-Man

The light in front of the mirror for Kobayashi, please say it isnt so, it would have been so good to have a bl ship in the front of the mystery show, Hibashi blushing so much even.

Good mystery, loved Akechi in the ending part though.

Ninja Slayer 14

Silver Karasu is such a badass, he's easily my favorite character.
RIP in peace
I really liked the ending song of this episode, one of the highlights of this show.

Gakkou Gurashi 02

When I first read the description of this show I wanted to check it out because the premise sounded so wacky that I just had to see it. These two episodes suprised me, they're really handling everything well and the mix between the funny and serious moments is great.
It wasn't what I was expecting when I started but I can't complain, this is even better.

School-Live 2

Fear the shovel. And the delusional girl with her imaginary teacher. But mostly the shovel. A nice look at how everyone else tries to keep them alive day to day.

The teacher is real right? other characters acknowledge her so I think she actually exists.

Mandelbo

Kitakubu 09

What if the seal that keeps showing up is actually a sixth member of the club that everyone's forgotten about? Just think about it, it all makes complete sense.

The teacher is real right? other characters acknowledge her so I think she actually exists.

The way the camera position deliberately didn't show her in plenty of shots, and the fact that she's deep down the rabbit hole already, I think they're just playing along to keep Yuki in check.
Surely there would have been more emphasis on her if there actually was an adult with them

oh and if I recall she just "turns up" at places, like the test of courage, she was already there

Cornbread78

So, I Can't Play H! ep.1-2
so, this was my random afternoon "hit play" that's been in my Crunchy queue. The basis is, a reaper bonds makes a contract with a kid that is set to die in three months. She will try to help delay or prevent it by him supplying her hid life energy as she tries to find someone in the human world. Here's the kicker, the life energy he gives is his pervertedNess and he gives a major power-up to her when he gets a boner, lol. Holy Shit, who comes up with this stuff, lol.

The way the camera position deliberately didn't show her in plenty of shots, and the fact that she's deep down the rabbit hole already, I think they're just playing along to keep Yuki in check.
Surely there would have been more emphasis on her if there actually was an adult with them

oh and if I recall she just "turns up" at places, like the test of courage, she was already there

I guess you're right but what about the scene in the library? It seemed that the teacher was aware of the zombies and she was also able to put her hand before Yuki's mouth.

cajunator

Banned
So, I Can't Play H! ep.1-2
so, this was my random afternoon "hit play" that's been in my Crunchy queue. The basis is, a reaper bonds makes a contract with a kid that is set to die in three months. She will try to help delay or prevent it by him supplying her hid life energy as she tries to find someone in the human world. Here's the kicker, the life energy he gives is his pervertedNess and he gives a major power-up to her when he gets a boner, lol. Holy Shit, who comes up with this stuff, lol.

You should watch Ultimate Girls. Even Envelope likes it.

I'm guessing she's some kind of manifestation of a protective part of yuki's mind or something

Probably, this show is really fucked up when you think about it, it's interesting.

She could be real though, if there isn't someone to teach her they wouldn't have bothered to get the math books in the first place.

Cornbread78

You should watch Ultimate Girls. Even Envelope likes it.

That one I'd super, super ecchi, right?

Probably, this show is really fucked up when you think about it, it's interesting.

She could be real though, if there isn't someone to teach her they wouldn't have bothered to get the math books in the first place.

Part of it is definitely her mental illness, bit I'm still confused by the teacher as well. I assume she is part of her schizophrenia, but you can't really tell if it's real or a hulucination.

Gakkou Gurashi 01

Someone told me to watch this without saying why. When I did I thoight it was just another moe series but something about it just felt off. And then the Twist happened.

cajunator

Banned
That one I'd super, super ecchi, right?

Part of it is definitely her mental illness, bit I'm still confused by the teacher as well. I assume she is part of her schizophrenia, but you can't really tell if it's real or a hulucination.

lol yes its really hilariously over the top

Part of it is definitely her mental illness, bit I'm still confused by the teacher as well. I assume she is part of her schizophrenia, but you can't really tell if it's real or a hallucination.

We'll see, I'm excited.

A cool thing about the show is that it doesn't explain everything.
There are a lot of subtle moments like that "interrupting class" gag last episode that makes sense when you know what's going but it's never outright explained that she's just opening every door because there's actually nobody there in reality.

So how does one watch anime on Daisuki that is? Since Daisuki is streaming God Eater I've made an account on the site but can't manage to watch it.

kewlmyc

GATE 01-02

Wow, wasn't expecting this to be so entertaining. It reminds me of Outbreak Company, but with more focus on the military and the MC being a capable soldier. It's entertaining seeing a modern military just wrecking the shit out of a medieval army and the medieval army trying to figure out what the hell is happening. Hopefully the quality keeps up and it doesn't dissolve into harem shit.

It's going to dissolve into harem shit isn't it? The gothic lolita, the elf, the sorcerer, and the tsundere female soldier are all going to fall for the MC aren't they? Eh, at least he's a commander in the army and not some nice guy high school student.

Danchigai 02
This show is so forgettable, I don't even remember what happened last episode.
It's only three minutes so I guess that it's just too short to make a lasting impression on me, kinda wierd since I like almost all the other shorts this season.

School Live 2

First things first. These are high schoolers in their third year? What.

Anyway, I decided to watch this and you know what, after last week's shock I am okay watching it and will add it to my list. I find this show to be very interesting specially because of the girl with the mental issues. As for the teacher, she is clearly only
in her head, and they all play along. She seems to represent a way for Yuki to remain in her dream school world, while keeping herself in check from the adversities in the real world. We see the teacher in several moments feeling bad for her, and I think this is what it is. She doesn't exist, but she represents the reality that Yuki knows about deep inside. In a way she is keeping herself from going insane by keeping up with her school routines, and doing school work.

This stuff is super interesting. The whole backstory for Kurumi was great too. I wanna know what happened to Miki at that mall that Yuuri mentioned to her in the club room.

Squishy3

GATE 01-02

Wow, wasn't expecting this to be so entertaining. It reminds me of Outbreak Company, but with more focus on the military and the MC being a capable soldier. It's entertaining seeing a modern military just wrecking the shit out of a medieval army and the medieval army trying to figure out what the hell is happening. Hopefully the quality keeps up and it doesn't dissolve into harem shit.
also said medieval army being comprised of idiots, although the end of episode 2 gives kind of a reason for it

but yeah

"OUR INVASION FORCE WAS COMPLETELY WIPED OUT LET'S THROW MORE TROOPS AT THEM"

Chaos Dragon 3

Considering the way the contract works, and Ibuki not wanting to get closer to others as a result, I can only see this show ending in complete tragedy.

UberTag

This stuff is super interesting. The whole backstory for Kurumi was great too. I wanna know what happened to Miki at that mall that Yuuri mentioned to her in the club room.
If you're curious on Miki's back story (although I suspect it'll be shown in a flashback at some point), you can scope out Chapters 10-12 of the manga.

They're pretty self-contained and won't spoil anything (the manga is currently up to Chapter 37).

Cornbread78

lol yes its really hilariously over the top

Sounds like fun, but it does have the lowest MAL rating I'very ever seen, lol.

I just want to know whose rec So, I Can't Play H!'s was, lol.

We'll see, I'm excited.

A cool thing about the show is that it doesn't explain everything.
There are a lot of subtle moments like that "interrupting class" gag last episode that makes sense when you know what's going but it's never outright explained that she's just opening every door because there's actually nobody there in reality.

That's what makes this one so unique and if they keep us on our toes trying to find answers on how they deal with her illness, this may be my anime of the season. It's both brutal and cute at the same time. They just need to keep this balance.

Well, Charlotte will be up there to battle it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom