• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 5

I think I started playing way after this season, but wow some of the rules are baffling. Yugi playing Polymerization on Insector Haga's turn, it was quick play spell at some point?

Great conclusion.Ill miss his faces
CKHe9gRUkAEMGoP.jpg

Season 1 makes no fucking sense whatsoever when it comes to the rules, I don't think the game was ever that stupid.

It was always 8k points too, as far as I'm aware.

It's still very fun, though, if you can just ignore the nonsense.

It's a fictitious world anyway. I never think too much about stuff like that. They have giant monsters eating buildings. I find that more questionable than their fashion sense, or wristband that gives them superpowers :p I mean look at superheroes. Why the heck do they need to wear tacky ass suits to save people? Same reasoning

superheroes each have their own uniform. And their power isn't manufactured by the government or else they'd likely wear uniforms. But w/e it's a minor gripe with a show that'll likely go to shit soon enough.

superheroes each have their own uniform. And their power isn't manufactured by the government or else they'd likely wear uniforms. But w/e it's a minor gripe with a show that'll likely go to shit soon enough.

Having played the game and seeing episode 1 they are using the material from it, but putting their own spin on it for the better. The story in the game is alright, but I think Ufotable is going to come through and make this one really good.

I've lost Faith [Stay Night] in Ufotable. The days of Fate Zero are long gone, and the KnK movie was nothing but pandering and unnecessary crap. They're going down the KyoAni way of by pure fucking chance choosing ONE really good source material to make an anime with, but their plan the whole time was to adapt trash.

I've lost Faith [Stay Night] in Ufotable. The days of Fate Zero are long gone, and the KnK movie was nothing but pandering and unnecessary crap. They're going down the KyoAni way of by pure fucking chance choosing ONE really good source material to make an anime with, but their plan the whole time was to adapt trash.

We can't forget these companies have real people in them. It's not like there's an whole awful lot of good material that can be adapted and pay all these hardworking folks at the same time. I'm sure there's a ton of good VNs, LNs, etc that deserve an adaptation, but this industry just like all others revolve around money. If there's no money to be made, they would go out of a job. Hence why we unfortunately see so much Otaku pandering in these shows.

The most recent example for me is Game of Laplace. Such an interesting concept and premise, thrown to shit because of all the weird Anime pandering they put in it.

the argument is that unlike the West where a good drama/show can still be appreciated in Japan it needs to pander? That's insulting to the viewer but w.e. Hannibal would be a 1000 year old loli murdering dragon.

Cornbread78

Welcome to NHK 9 (NHK ni Youkoso!) ep1-7:

tumblr_lzradxhz3o1r6hayto1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtycak5iAM1spx9czo1_500.gif

OK, this is a good one. The guy is a total shut-in and is trying to break outta the cycle by getting "counciling" by an amatuer girl. OK, the guys just a weirdo that thiks everything is a conspiracy, and the daydreams/dreams of that are hilarious. The poor guy is also trying to write a script for a game to do something. All these situations are funny and sad at the same time....

Gbraga

Imagine Game of Thrones too, if it had brother and sister ince---... Wait.

To be fair, people react more negatively to incest in Game of Thrones than in most anime. Though that can also be said to people's reactions to many things in Game of Thrones, including homossexuality.

At least starting from Season 2. Having watched the entirety of it in one go this year, the sudden shift in people's reactions was quite off putting to me.

In Season 1, when they hear about their incestuous relationship, their reaction is a "oh, so Joffrey isn't a true heir" at most, everyone only cares about the political implications of it, but in Season 2, suddenly everyone is like "eew, incest".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
the argument is that unlike the West where a good drama/show can still be appreciated in Japan it needs to pander? That's insulting to the viewer but w.e. Hannibal would be a 1000 year old loli murdering dragon.
When the majority of your product is made for at best 10k people, then yeah.

Think about it - I think anime is the only type of television where people buy informercial time at 3am in order to air their harem du jour. Not all anime of course, but the majority of it.

To be fair, people react more negatively to incest in Game of Thrones than in most anime. Though that can also be said to people's reactions to many things in Game of Thrones, including homossexuality.

At least starting from Season 2. Having watched the entirety of it in one go this year, the sudden shift in people's reactions was quite off putting to me.

In Season 1, when they hear about their incestuous relationship, their reaction is a "oh, so Joffrey isn't a true heir" at most, everyone only cares about the political implications of it, but in Season 2, suddenly everyone is like "eew, incest".

Heh I'm a GoT fan too (for better or worse) I was just poking fun at the situation aha.

But yeah it's sad, but about 90% of Anime these days has to have an upshot skirt shot, or boobage galore, etc in order for these companies to put their stuff out. It's unfortunate, but we gotta deal with it. Some shows manage to keep the stuff at a minimum and deliver a great experience. Others don't.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora Episode 3:

Still trying to figure out why this anime adaptation exists in the here and now. Is it part of a larger trend of updating old ass manga to shiny new anime? Is because Yo-Kai Watch has become such a monster hit? Would it have been seen as too similar to Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha? The mind baffles at the possibility. Oh right, the episode itself was decent, Ushio and Tora just have this freakish chemistry that makes the banter eminently watchable and I like that Ushio is indulging in becoming artist, a rarefied goal for a shonen protagonist. I am just wondering if this is going to be Monster of the Week stuff right now or are we going to move into something more arc based soon?

Season 1 makes no fucking sense whatsoever when it comes to the rules, I don't think the game was ever that stupid.

It was always 8k points too, as far as I'm aware.

It's still very fun, though, if you can just ignore the nonsense.

The manga wasn't always at 8k in terms of points , the game started at 2K in his first appearance and went to 4k when they trully tried to paid attention to the rules. The 8k points rule actually came MUCH later.

And yeah , untill battle-city , the rules don't make sense much.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 5

I think I started playing way after this season, but wow some of the rules are baffling. Yugi playing Polymerization on Insector Haga's turn, it was quick play spell at some point?

Great conclusion.Ill miss his faces
CKHe9gRUkAEMGoP.jpg
idk if you've watched the episode where yugi destroys the moon with a giant rock soldier yet to cause a tidal wave to destroy the other dudes shit. rules dont exist in season 1.

When the majority of your product is made for at best 10k people, then yeah.

Think about it - I think anime is the only type of television where people buy informercial time at 3am in order to air their harem du jour. Not all anime of course, but the majority of it.

Do we not have estimates of audience #s for anime viewers by now? It has become decently popular by now I reckon.

Miss Monochrome - The Animation - 2 Episode 3 – Guitarist
CKIH2C5UAAEMevE.png

Didnt realize these were all real songs. Ive not watched any anime except Miss monochrome with this voice actor singing.

Good guitarist.

Gbraga

Heh I'm a GoT fan too (for better or worse) I was just poking fun at the situation aha.

But yeah it's sad, but about 90% of Anime these days has to have an upshot skirt shot, or boobage galore, etc in order for these companies to put their stuff out. It's unfortunate, but we gotta deal with it. Some shows manage to keep the stuff at a minimum and deliver a great experience. Others don't.

Oh, I like it. I love Oreimo, give me all the creepy bullshit (though I do think they shouldn't include it everywhere, but instead make shows dedicated for that kind of stuff), but what's fair is fair, and Game of Thrones doesn't really romanticize incest, even if it's not always condemning it.

The manga wasn't always at 8k in terms of points , the game started at 2K in his first appearance and went to 4k when they trully tried to paid attention to the rules. The 8k points rule actually came MUCH later.

And yeah , untill battle-city , the rules don't make sense much.

I mean the actual game, not the manga. Did the game also start at 2K?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
We can't forget these companies have real people in them. It's not like there's an whole awful lot of good material that can be adapted and pay all these hardworking folks at the same time. I'm sure there's a ton of good VNs, LNs, etc that deserve an adaptation, but this industry just like all others revolve around money. If there's no money to be made, they would go out of a job. Hence why we unfortunately see so much Otaku pandering in these shows.

The most recent example for me is Game of Laplace. Such an interesting concept and premise, thrown to shit because of all the weird Anime pandering they put in it.

Yup, that shit is making it hard to watch Overlord at the moment.

phaze

Shin Mazinger Z 15

I hope they didn't expect me take the ending to this arc seriously. You can't just go full sad when barely 2 minutes earlier, two hilarious robot designs stopped screaming "Breasto Fireeeee!" and "German Blizzzzzzard !" at each other and still expect me to give a shit.

Do we not have estimates of audience #s for anime viewers by now? It has become decently popular by now I reckon.

You are confusing the late-night anime market with productions that are made differently. Shows like Log Horizon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Haikyu, and the new Gundam show are made to run in primetime timeslots via TV station input and are made to appeal to a broader audience. Those tend not to have a lot of the less desireable elements in them. Depending on how big of an influence the TV station has on the production, they may be made as an entertainment source rather than to push a product.

Shows like Space Dandy, OreImo, Fate/Stay Night, and nearly most of what gets discussed in this thread and many other forums are essentially infomercials made to push some type of product, whether that is a video game (God Eater), light novel (anything from Dengeki), video disc (Madoka), merchandise (anything waifu/husbando), manga (Kodansha/Shueisha), or anything else. They have an audience in mind that buys these items and so they have to include elements to appeal to them. This is why shows like K-On! and Euphonium had to hype the main four girls: to market to that type of audience despite the shows appealing to a broader audience.

TV stations in Japan have seen dramas obtain higher ratings than animated content, thus primetime is devoted to live-action content. Anime shows used to air around these times, but once higher ratings came about for (relatively cheaper) shows, the medium was essentially forced into this production committee/infomercial type. There are a few stations that produce anime, but they're fewer than the other type. Additionally, the TV stations are asking for more of the revenue to be a sponsor. This is why shows like Sailor Moon Crystal and Digimon Tri had to be made in alternative formats (web episodes/OVA films respectively). Toei did not want to sacrifice additional revenue for popular franchises to TV Asahi/Fuji respectively.

There are different types of anime much like there are different types of broadcasts outside Japan. Painting all of it with the "pandering" brush is inaccurate, though it applies to a subset of the medium.

thanks for the knowledge. Now I'm curious/hoping there's a Sopranos-esque Japanese live action drama about the Yakuza. If Sleeping Dogs can do one about the Triad, by god I want one of this.

thanks for the knowledge. Now I'm curious/hoping there's a Sopranos-esque Japanese live action drama about the Yakuza. If Sleeping Dogs can do one about the Triad, by god I want one of this.

I always wanted a Sleeping Dogs anime, but you're probably better off looking for a live action drama rather than an anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jdrama actually operates similarly to anime funny enough (late night drama meant to shill product exists in the same way), although I don't know if any of their shows have had the same ambitions as American TV.
I still think Intersexuality is probably the most "controversial" show I watched when I still followed jdrama, and that featured three idols in it.

Japanese films, on the other hand, are more in line with what you expect. Shitty blockbusters like Attack on Titan and then low budget indie fair like Love My Life.

Jdrama actually operates similarly to anime funny enough (late night drama meant to shill product exists in the same way), although I don't know if any of their shows have had the same ambitions as American TV.
I still think Intersexuality is probably the most "controversial" show I watched when I still followed jdrama, and that featured three idols in it.

Japanese films, on the other hand, are more in line with what you expect. Shitty blockbusters like Attack on Titan and then low budget indie fair like Love My Life.

you wait till I'm soaring before burning my wax wings you motherfucker lol

god damn it. Well I don't mind japanese films I have yet to hear of one become popular enough in the west since.... well since Battle Royale. Korean films on the other hand have shit like Oldboy. I love oldboy.

Theonik

Beauty as in hilariousness ? Sure. I just got the impression they were aiming at evoking genuine emotion from the viewer. Maybe my sarcasm detector was broken after they introduced zombie-robot people.
You just answered your own question.

But it wasn't funny and sad. It was just funny !

I thought it was sad! Yeah on paper it sounds ridiculous but I thought Imagawa did a good job with its execution.

I mean that arc is about
the hero's younger brother learning about who his mother is and that she killed his father. It's also about him learning about the first love of his life being a robot made to defeat his brother's beloved robot.

He's then forced to watch Mazinger Z brutally take her down. Like, it's silly, I get it. But I thought the whole heaviness of that episode with the head of the girl robot and the devilish imagery of Mazinger Z was really well done.

The again, it doesn't really matter in the long run I suppose. I'm still enjoying your impressions and I'm very interested to see what you have to say on the rest of the show as this point and onwards is where things really start to get crazy.

I'm looking for the name of an anime I watched the first episode of years ago and never finished.

I remember it being kinda dark and gritty, and the MC lost an arm from fighting or something. Anyone have an idea what this is? Sorry that I can't describe it better.

Edit: Never mind. Found it after doing some more googling! :D

It's Texhnolyze

Ushio and Tora 03

So far this has just been youkai of the week but it's pretty enjoyable. I assume Ushio and Tora will start fighting the big bads once they get more friendly. It also kind of looks like the rest of the cast is getting more aware of supernatural stuff, especially these two new characters.

Tora is so great, love him laughing at Ushio getting into fights with the big yankee.

I'm looking for the name of an anime I watched the first episode of years ago and never finished.

I remember it being kinda dark and gritty, and the MC lost an arm from fighting or something. Anyone have an idea what this is? Sorry that I can't describe it better.

Sound like Berserk.

Mandelbo

I'm sick of having Kitakubu hanging over my head, so I've decided that I'm gonna finish the last three episodes tonight! Then I can start watching shows from this season in earnest (or just pick something else up and wait a few weeks.)

Defuser

Gate ep 3
Dragon = fucking rekt. Fuck yeah modern weaponry!!

Despite Itami being a Otaku that people gave him shit about, he wasn't interested in elf girl and didn't like goth girl sitting on his lap...or maybe he still waiting for a cat girl.

Rory > Elf Girl > Mage girl for now.

Prison School 02

The pace is definitely very fast. Very, very fast. Scenes are switching all the time. Despite that I think it works because the source material, execution and directing are all very strong.

And the Chairman is amazing. And Hana is amazing. HanaHanaKana is amazing. This is amazing. Might be my AOTS. All my worries from the first episode have been relieved (lol)

G.ZZZ

This episode had definitely worse directing compared to the first, no closeups on certain scenes etc... It was also going around some of the worst chapters of the manga tbh so maybe next one will be better.

It's still Prison School

EDIT: i forgot , the chapter after those ones are fucking gold. Next episode will SLAY

phaze

Edit: Never mind. Found it after doing some more googling! :D

It's Texhnolyze

Great show ! Rewatched first few episodes recently and they were better than I remembered.

Prison School 2
Based Gakuto is saving this show.

Pace was a bit better but still way too fast to nail some jokes and scenes.

And I take back what I said about not minding the light rays. They were pretty bad.

Managed to get some laughs this time so it's not all bad but I still don't think it's a well done adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom