• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
GATE 1

So just to be clear, protag was already in the military before the Stargate opened, correct? That was the job that funded his hobby? That's the only way I can make sense of him knowing how to fight and how to handle the situation.

Regardless, that was awesome. I can already tell I'm gonna like this.

Yep I feel like Prison School is in good hands.

It reminds me of last year with Ping Pong, where Mizushima is the perfect director to adapt Akira Hiromoto's well regarded source material as was Yuasa being the perfect director to adapt Taiyou Matsumoto's well regarded source material.

Matsumoto>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yuasa

cajunator

Banned
HEALING

zsC0abk.jpg

Buying those 4 boxsets is one of my best life decisions.

Welcome to NHK 9 (NHK ni Youkoso!) ep.8-15:
Man, some pretty powerful moments built into this series. The whole cliff scene and afterwords was damn intense stuff. Why would you go with the flow initially, then buy-in and go for it? Now he's trying to make some loot selling items in online gaming... damn WoW parody, lol. The show is moving in a different direction with this this arc though...

NHK gets shockingly dark. a lot more dire than you would expect given the premise. It really delves deep into psychological problems and terrible situations.

No anime will ever be as good as welcome to the NHK. Should have kept if for last.

NHK isnt THE best but its upper tier.

The new Soma OP is so gooood!
http://youtu.be/AJ6qtSD4OKw

Hmmm. Not as good as the first. Hopefully they didnt change the ED.

It's not like you absolutely have to watch stuff the same day it comes out.

Lol I hardly ever do that. Usually its one or even two weeks later.

Shokugeki no Soma 15

New OP is decent, better then the first. The OP can hardly put up the facade that the Polar Star losers still matter after this arc, lol. You can already see the alumni only care about Tadokoro and Soma! The new ED is alright, it can't beat Fura Fura~ though.
Lol at them setting up yandere stalker as a villain of any sort

Hmm, looks like they are completely skipping the Karaage Arc to get started on the Election Arc faster. Which is fine, I guess. The election arc starts around chapter 40 and ends around 105, which is pretty long. If they did 40 chapters in the first half they will be doing 60+ here in less time so it will be interesting to see how it is adapted, if they fully adapt it at all.

Gbraga

Don't like comedy, slice of life or drama. What do you like?

Cute Girls Doing Cute Things is my favorite genre, if you can call that a genre.

GATE 1

So just to be clear, protag was already in the military before the Stargate opened, correct? That was the job that funded his hobby? That's the only way I can make sense of him knowing how to fight and how to handle the situation.

Regardless, that was awesome. I can already tell I'm gonna like this.

That's correct. It confused me at first too, haha.

As non-Prison School manga reader.

Is the anime still "rushed"? I can't imagine that a slower pacing would improve the anime in a significant way - I would say it's even quite the opposite.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Is the anime still "rushed"? I can't imagine that a slower pacing would improve the anime in a significant way - I would say it's even quite the opposite.

it's fast, but i wouldn't say rushed

it's still gonna be a while till the parts where it needs to slow down pop up, but for now the fast pace is just what the adaption needs

Gbraga

The arc is like 3 chapters long. It's 35-38 in the manga, you can read it fast if you want

It's also a waste of time, to be quite honest, didn't like it at all.

Having read the equivalent to episode 1, I agree with you. The manga is the one that actually feels needlessly slow, imo.

phaze

It's still 6 chapters per episode so yes. This one had a bit lighter load as the the first two chapters of the series had 30 pages.

Ascheroth

It's a 4 chapter arc, chances are it just go moved around since it would screw up a certain characters motivation if they removed it outright.

I'm pretty sure they are covering that arc in an OVA or at the beginning of next season. After this episode I can really see why they skipped it though, it would mess up the pacing for the next arc completely.
I'm now convinced the anime is stopping at chapter 60, which means 19 chapters in the remaining 9 episodes. That matches the current pace of about 2-3 chapters per episode perfectly and it's also a perfect stopping point
Just after the preliminaries, leaving the rest of the Autumn Election for season 2

Soma 15

New OP is alright. Ahhhh still so happy, finally a new Soma episode, feels like it's been forever. Finally we see that Soma's dad had some kind of connection with the school. I had my suspicions already but that settled it. The dad was a student there before too and an Elite to boot. What a fantastic episode. Next week is going to be insane.

GATE 2

Welp, I can already see where this is heading.

Evil asshole King on the fantasy side screwing over the other nations in his world just so his empire won't be threatened, and then (of course) the shitty US president on our side is being a greedy, war hungry asshole. This will probably eventually lead toa rebellion by some of the soldiers on our side fighting for and helping the townsfolk, villagers, and whomever else from being fucked in both directions.

And why the hell did they think it was a good idea to just charge into and attack our world without even doing the proper scouting and reconnaissance. They are getting decimated. It's not even a fight at this point.

Or I'm completely wrong and absolutely none of this will happen, haha. :D

----

Anyway, good ep. This is pretty interesting so far. I also like how old man called the dragon a one-headed King Ghidorah.

Shokugeki no Soma - 15

Feels good to have this show back! Really fun to see Soma's father again, and all the connections he has with the school and others. Hopefully if Soma graduates he'll have something over his father at least.
Wouldn't mind seeing more on his life or even a spin off of sorts. Can't wait for next week

Cornbread78

NHK gets shockingly dark. a lot more dire than you would expect given the premise. It really delves deep into psychological problems and terrible situations.

NHK isnt THE best but its upper tier.

The arcs jump all over the place. It goes from comedy and fun, gets serious, goes SoL with a budding romance, more SoL, then really dark and emotional, an episode of good/happy, then back to dark.... what a ride..

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think so. It's pretty accurate to me, to the manga and the figures.

Can't really pull out many manga pictures as I'm traveling but here's two, one from a manga cover and one from the anime, VP is in a similar position.

Manga:
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/fdfc995b55ad924515bb769b064b16231368554140_full.jpg

Anime:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net..._design.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150527100926

Either the tits are too large or the head is too small.

Shokugeki no Soma - 15

Feels good to have this show back! Really fun to see Soma's father again, and all the connections he has with the school and others. Hopefully if Soma graduates he'll have something over his father at least.
Wouldn't mind seeing more on his life or even a spin off of sorts. Can't wait for next week

There is a Soma spinoff. It's about Shinomiya though. It's called Shokugeki no Soma Étoilé.

It's decent. Doesn't have the art or the punch the regular main series does.

Can't really pull out many manga pictures as I'm traveling but here's two, one from a manga cover and one from the anime, VP is in a similar position.

Manga:
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/fdfc995b55ad924515bb769b064b16231368554140_full.jpg

Anime:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net..._design.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150527100926

Either the tits are too large or the head is too small.

In the current manga she looks quite a lot like the anime. I won't post any pictures because that's probably dangerous.

VP's breasts is like the EVA 01 - They change size all the time!

School Live! 2

This show is dark. I can't handle seeing one of the character's being so psychologically traumatized to the point of ignoring everything that has happened. The
teacher has to be dead especially the way everyone interacts with her. She has to be Yuki-chan's guardian angel, to protect her from all the terrible things that are occurring which Yuki is psychologically ignoring.
This is too painful.

I felt bad seeing a bit of Kurumi's past, too much suffering. I also want to know more of what happened to Miki in the mall. I'm kinda surprised everyone is in High School.

Well, I think because it's dealing with gender I instinctively want to see if there's a political position that the show takes or the author is trying to make.

Allegedly after the commercial failure and cancellation of Akira Hashimoto's artistically ambitious manga Me and the Devil Blues, about blues musician Robert Johnson, Hashimoto decided, "So all you manga readers want is tits and ass, huh? Then I'll give you some tits and ass!" And so Prison School was born.

Or so I've read. I kind of doubt it's true, but I'd like to think it is.

cajunator

Banned
Yes it is, but the ending was as good as the show itself
VaBNcxc.png

Agreed. Same for the Non Non Biyori Repeat OP. So disappointing.

I understand change for the sake of keeping things fresh, but man sometimes you just cant top the original. You just cant. Its such a minor thing, but that ED really sent off each Soma episode with a smile and feels. AH well Im just being nitpicky.

Jarmel

Banned
Allegedly after the commercial failure and cancellation of Akira Hashimoto's artistically ambitious manga Me and the Devil Blues, about blues musician Robert Johnson, Hashimoto decided, "So all you manga readers want is tits and ass, huh? Then I'll give you some tits and ass!" And so Prison School was born.

If that's true, that has to be utterly depressing for him then about the popularity of the series.

cajunator

Banned
Although I will admit every now and then anime gets it right, which Cardcaptor Sakura managed to do multiple times. But that show and everything associated with it is in the upper stratosphere anyway.

If that's true, that has to be utterly depressing for him then about the popularity of the series.

Me and the Devil Blues is great. However, although it did get cancelled, it did come back after Prison School's popularity and a new volume recently came out.

Hiramoto is an extremely good artist. To think he does both Prison School and Me and the Devil Blues, which both look extremely good at the same time is pretty mind boggling.

Devil Blues is monthly I think. Also it's Akira Hiramoto, not Hashimoto. I'd like to think Hiramoto isn't bitter about Devil Blues since Prison School is so good I can't accept that someone created it out of bitterness.

UberTag

School Live! 2

This show is dark. I can't handle seeing one of the character's being so psychologically traumatized to the point of ignoring everything that has happened. The
teacher has to be dead especially the way everyone interacts with her. She has to be Yuki-chan's guardian angel, to protect her from all the terrible things that are occurring which Yuki is psychologically ignoring.
This is too painful.
Oh you think THIS is too painful? We haven't even gotten to the painful parts yet.
This is fun fun happy times compared to where this train is going.

Man I'd kill for a high movie budget or OVA of Me and the Devil Blues, but it will never ever happen. It's too obscure and there's no audience for it.

Man I'd kill for a high movie budget or OVA of Me and the Devil Blues, but it will never ever happen. It's too obscure and there's no audience for it.

Obviously not if they decided it was a good idea to bring it back, I wouldn't put it out of the question. Given the right director a Devil Blues TV series could be outstanding.

Although a series set in the 1910's southern America about racism and a real life black blues musician Robert Johnson would probably be too out there for a Japanese audience.

Cornbread78

Oh you think THIS is too painful? We haven't even gotten to the painful parts yet.
This is fun fun happy times compared to where this train is going.

Without reading the manga, you can imagine between trying to survive and going through flashbacks of watching their friends die, yeah, things are gonna suck.

Jarmel

Banned
Me and the Devil Blues is great. However, although it did get cancelled, it did come back after Prison School's popularity and a new volume recently came out.

Hiramoto is an extremely good artist. To think he does both Prison School and Me and the Devil Blues, which both look extremely good at the same time is pretty mind boggling.

Devil Blues is monthly I think. Also it's Akira Hiramoto, not Hashimoto. I'd like to think Hiramoto isn't bitter about Devil Blues since Prison School is so good I can't accept that someone created it out of bitterness.

I haven't gotten around to reading Devil Blues but I have heard it's good and obviously the art is killer.

Obviously not if they decided it was a good idea to bring it back, I wouldn't put it out of the question. Given the right director a Devil Blues TV series could be outstanding.

Although a series set in the 1910's southern America about racism and a real life black blues musician Robert Johnson would probably be too out there for a Japanese audience.

I'd imagine that the series would have a better reception and a audience in the west if it were turned into a movie.

What about this narrative appeals to you? Sounds like you're invested in some middlebrow notions about "worthwhile" art.
And saying Prison School isn't artistically ambitious is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom