• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter 2015 (first volume sales)

40,874 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls

Holy shit. Didn't know Im@s was THAT big. Good to see JoJo did big numbers, gimme Part 4 plz. Saekano still did better, this is clearly Firehawk's work.

Although if you combine the first half and second it is probably bigger. This is how I choose to see this news.

There really isn't anything left to adapt.

They skipped around a lot, and if they properly adapted the chapters they did in short form there could be enough in a while.

Code:
34,163 Tsukimonogatari
23,997 Kantai Collection
22,829 Kuroko’s Basketball 3rd Season
12,901 Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
11,166 JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Arc
10,464 Fafner in the Azure: Exodus

<10k line>

*8,683 Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!
*7,990 Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season
*7,228 Durarara!!×2 Shou
*7,013 Dog Days’’
*6,401 The Testament of Sister New Devil
*4,746 Q Transformers: The Mystery of Convoy
*4,731 Assassination Classroom
*3,304 Tokyo Ghoul &#8730;A

<3k line>

*2,022 Gourmet Girl Graffiti
*1,757 Shounen Hollywood - Holly Stage for 50
*1,576 Absolute Duo
*1,493 Seiken Tsukai no World Break
*1,365 Kamisama Kiss 2nd Season
*1,314 Yurikuma Arashi
*1,231 Unlimited Fafnir
*1,209 The Rolling Girls
*1,084 Isuca
*1,015 Yatterman Night

<1k line>

**,982 Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD
**,923 Death Parade
**,648 Samurai Warriors
**,620 Maria the Virgin Witch
**,553 Military!
**,472 Ketsuekigata-kun! 2
**,333 Comical Psychosomatic Medicine
**,146 Doamaiger D

With those JoJo sales I really hope DavidPro adapts Part 4 because man is it really good. I swear if they don't I'll be really disappointed.

I need Josuke to be animated.

cajunator

Banned

Code:
34,163 Tsukimonogatari
23,997 Kantai Collection
22,829 Kuroko’s Basketball 3rd Season
11,166 JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Arc

<10k line>

*7,228 Durarara!!×2 Shou
*7,013 Dog Days’’

<3k line>

*1,576 Absolute Duo
*1,314 Yurikuma Arashi
*1,231 Unlimited Fafnir
*1,209 The Rolling Girls
*1,084 Isuca
*1,015 Yatterman Night

<1k line>

**,923 Death Parade
**,648 Samurai Warriors
**,553 Military!
**,146 Doamaiger D

While I'm here,
Top Selling Blu-rays (Oricon All Time)
Code:
2,395,556 [B]Frozen[/B] (7/16/2014)
464,375 [B]EVANGELION:2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE.[/B] (5/26/2010)
400,952 [B]EVANGELION:3.33 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO.[/B] (4/24/2013)
274,579 [B]Big Hero 6[/B] (4/24/2015)
208,044 [B]Cars 2 DVD + Blu-ray set[/B] (12/2/2011)
203,398 [B]Monsters University[/B] (11/20/2013)
181,935 [B]Toy Story 3 DVD + Blu-ray set[/B] (11/3/2010)
181,935 [B]EVANGELION:1.11[/B] (5/27/2009)
160,762 [B]Tangled DVD + Blu-ray set[/B] (7/20/2011)
154,042 [B]Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion Limited Edition Blu-Ray[/B] (4/2/2014)

Top Selling DVDs (Oricon All time)
Code:
2,401,992 [B]Spirited Away[/B] (7/19/2002)
1,608,743 [B]Finding Nemo[/B] (6/18/2004)
1,250,737 [B]My Neighbor Totoro[/B] (9/28/2001)
1,223,370 [B]Howl's Moving Castle[/B] (11/16/2005)
912,860 [B]Ponyo[/B] (7/3/2009)
779,137 [B]Castle in the Sky[/B] (10/4/2002)
757,428 [B]The Incredibles[/B] (6/15/2005)
667,504 [B]Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind[/B] (11/19/2003)
571,467 [B]Monsters, Inc. Special Edition[/B] (9/20/2002)
536,691 [B]Kiki's Delivery Service[/B] (6/8/2001)

Idolmaster and Monogatari cleaning up as expected.
Rolling Girls might be one of the biggest disappointments.

I would shoot them an e-mail or call them really quick.

I called them this morning they said it should ship out today but nothing yet.
I hope nothing bad is going on.
they mentioned shipping delays too.

I don't think that's the reason because if we went by that logic Yahari and Euphonium would have sold more because their character designs are far more appealing.

I dont think Euphonium or SNAFUs characters compare to the attractiveness of BBB's characters for the fandom. So little love for Hayama and Hikki.
CFyT0qpUkAAJgyy.png

Mandelbo

Code:
34,163 Tsukimonogatari
23,997 Kantai Collection
22,829 Kuroko&#8217;s Basketball 3rd Season
11,166 JoJo&#8217;s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Arc

<10k line>

*7,228 Durarara!!×2 Shou
*7,013 Dog Days&#8217;&#8217;

<3k line>

*1,576 Absolute Duo
*1,314 Yurikuma Arashi
*1,231 Unlimited Fafnir
*1,209 The Rolling Girls
*1,084 Isuca
*1,015 Yatterman Night

<1k line>

**,923 Death Parade
**,648 Samurai Warriors
**,553 Military!
**,146 Doamaiger D

How did Isuca sell over 1000 copies? I was under the impression that it was terrible (it certainly seemed that way from episode one.) I didn't watch Death Parade either, but shouldn't that have sold more too? Anime sales continue to perplex me.

and now I'm misreading Saekano as Saikano rather than the other way round

e:
Idolmaster and Monogatari cleaning up as expected.
Rolling Girls might be one of the biggest disappointments.

Yeah, Rolling Girls started off fantastically then it just kinda got dull in the last third or so. I never did finish it. It should have all been crazy, laidback antics!

Is Euphonium really the type of show that usually sells well though? People thought the same thing about Tamako Market after the success of K-On. KyoAni just hasn't managed to recapture that sort of success.

Meanwhile, Free was a runaway success for KyoAni, and it has a bunch of hot guys. BBB seems to have a bunch of female fans who also did the male characters. I'm sure that's a factor.

(I'm not saying that I would have predicted BBB being as successful as it is, but that's a possible angle as to why it sold well.)

I dont think Euphonium or SNAFUs characters compare to the attractiveness of BBB's characters for the fandom. So little love for Hayama and Hikki.
CFyT0qpUkAAJgyy.png

Yeah nevermind you guys are right.

duckroll

Exactly - as I said, anime sales continue to perplex me.

I don't see what's really perplexing honestly. Sales alone are never a sign of quality or value. Understanding the market and the demographics which make up that market are key to understanding why certain things sell. Anime as a home video business in Japan is not targeted at normal people or mainstream audiences. You cannot charge 70-90 dollars for 2-3 episodes on a disc in a series which has anything from 12 to 26 episodes, and expect any but the most hardcore fans to buy it. This means the market is supported by a niche audience with disposable income which values this particular hobby more than other things they could be spending money on. So when that's your target audience, certain trends will dominate sales even if mainstream audiences don't give a crap about that sort of thing.

On the flip side though, you cannot charge normal prices for anime either because the reputation/culture of the market is such that there isn't much interest in buying and owning anime to begin with, so if you sell it for less, you're probably just going to sell yourself short. Unless you're a huge brand name like Ghibli, then you can break out of the niche.

cajunator

Banned
I don't see what's really perplexing honestly. Sales alone are never a sign of quality or value. Understanding the market and the demographics which make up that market are key to understanding why certain things sell. Anime as a home video business in Japan is not targeted at normal people or mainstream audiences. You cannot charge 70-90 dollars for 2-3 episodes on a disc in a series which has anything from 12 to 26 episodes, and expect any but the most hardcore fans to buy it. This means the market is supported by a niche audience with disposable income which values this particular hobby more than other things they could be spending money on. So when that's your target audience, certain trends will dominate sales even if mainstream audiences don't give a crap about that sort of thing.

On the flip side though, you cannot charge normal prices for anime either because the reputation/culture of the market is such that there isn't much interest in buying and owning anime to begin with, so if you sell it for less, you're probably just going to sell yourself short. Unless you're a huge brand name like Ghibli, then you can break out of the niche.

Its a very precarious business model it seems like. Stress levels in the industry must be through the roof.

Acosta

Is Blood blockade battlefront really a good show?

Absolutely.

(To be fair, it can be quite/very unfocused , I love it because the setting is fantastic, it has great art and I really like the characters. It also has the best ending song ever.)

Gangsta 01

Pretty cool, liked it, the city seems oppressive and the two guys are interesting. Looking for more.

jbug617

Banned
Via WTK
Toei tweeted out that World Trigger Eng Dub is going to premiere at AX. Didn't even know that they were dubbing it.

Happy to see Kuroko sales bounce back. They sort of lost it a little in 2nd season and Free came out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't know much about Japan, but it seems to me like this kind of policy would result in huge amounts of piracy.

Mandelbo

I guess my confusion stems from the fact that the way anime is sold in Japan appears to be very different to the way it's sold in the west (or the UK, at least.) I don't think it would be possible for western companies to get away with the pricing structure anime follows in Japan, which is interesting to me because they're essentially serving a similar sort of niche here. The pricing itself for the amount of content you're actually getting would be prohibitive in of itself, as you say - I mean, I don't think it's reasonable paying £50 for eight episodes of Kill la Kill, and that's a much better deal by comparison! Then again, I only usually buy complete collections of anime anyway.

Looking at those sales with the pricing specifically in mind, though, it's amazing to me that a lot of these even sell that much. In that context, while some of the sales numbers look smaller the amount of revenue pulled in must be quite a bit higher than it would be over here.

Rampo Kitan Game of Laplace - 01

Not bad. The murder mystery/crime aspects is especially intriguing to me. I just hope it won't go full bonkers.
I like the calm and methodical main character, as well as the Takahiro voiced "young detective". My biggest gripe would be the ages of the cast, and some typical designs.
tSSDF2N.jpg
ITwRZVA.jpg

you and me both

Crocodile

Is Blood blockade battlefront really a good show?

Yes though its a bit unfocused

With those JoJo sales I really hope DavidPro adapts Part 4 because man is it really good. I swear if they don't I'll be really disappointed.

I need Josuke to be animated.

My understanding is that Stardust Crusaders has been selling worse than Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency but given the new and increased mindshare (in Japan and abroad) the anime has brought to the Jojo franchise and all the new merchandise, videogame, etc. sales that are now possible because the new anime, I'd be shocked if more seasons weren't made.

Is there any explanation of why the katana guy has an frigging katana? I think they have American names and I suppose they live in a fictional American city (or at least in the Western world).

Not that the characters and setting being Japanese would turn it itno something logical and plausible, lol. I doubt there is a lot of katana fights in real life asian thugs and mobsters in the present.

Who am I kidding asking this. I know the real answer:
rule of cool

There is nothing about the way the city is constructed that is remotely American. Hell the way they pronounce "Nicholas" is not the way the name is pronounced in American English. I also recall them speaking a different language at some point but what it was. I want to say this takes place in Italy but Eastern Europe is a possibility. I might shoot for Turkey if the ethnicity of most of the cast didn't argue against that.

But I heard the second half turns to shit.

It's more like the last third but with the strong based established from the first arc of the show this still held up from my recollection. It's a big genre shift (and somewhat on a tone shift) so it rubs a lot of people the wrong way but the show as a whole is still very good.

fertygo

That list also only about volume 1, which can attribute few more factor for theirs sales such as cheap heavily discounted 1 eps deal or event ticket bonus (or even lottery)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rampo Kitan Game of Laplace - 01

Not bad. The murder mystery/crime aspects is especially intriguing to me. I just hope it won't go full bonkers.
I like the calm and methodical main character, as well as the Takahiro voiced "young detective". My biggest gripe would be the ages of the cast, and some typical designs.

I should note that teacher is supposed to be 32 years old.

duckroll

The LoGH announcement is for the novels. They are bringing the first 3 novels out, and if they sell well enough, they'll do all 10.

Any word on what's happening on the old Adult Swim shows that Funimation bought the rights to a while ago? They got Crest/Banner of the Stars and have done nothing with it, I'd love to be able to watch that show again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom