• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Eater 1
The animation was just superb and I really enjoyed the action sequences. I know much of the story from playing GE:B but let's see how it will deviate from here with the introduction of new characters.

Another GE player yeeeah

09aca9a04f736962e.gif

This adaptation only seems to be borrowing certain elements from the game. Right from the get go it is much different. Episode 2 seems to indicate that this differention that they are taking is one of their own. I am liking it quite a bit.

Another GE player yeeeah
This adaptation only seems to be borrowing certain elements from the game. Right from the get go it is much different. Episode 2 seems to indicate that this differention that they are taking is one of their own. I am liking it quite a bit.

Just watched episode 2. It's actually borrowing a lot from the game. It looks great and is really good. I like how they even had NPC characters like Gina show up. I'm enjoying it so far. 1st episode was interesting but was kind of all over the place. Definitely my too watch anime this season coined with GATE.

Narag

Bikini Warriors 1-2
Kinda bad since even when the jokes land, they're usually padded by a bunch of malegaze shots that linger far too long. I'm sure it's certainly cheaper to fill airtime that way though!

Bojack Horseman S2 1-12 FIN
Surprisingly better than the first season since no misdirection allots for more consistency. It remains one of the more painful looks at how people sabotage their own happiness and just how hard it is to keep your life together when things don't go the way you expect them to. There's no heroes, just the tomorrow you have to wake up to.

Captain Earth 13
As much as I like the show, Bugbear was sort of wasted on it as he's such a tragic figure and his backstory was awesome.

Monster Musume 1
  • Feels like Bikini Warriors will be the better show by virtue of not overstaying its welcome.
  • Smith > Whatver that lamia girl is called.
  • Every time she said "darling" i was only reminded I should be doing something more worthwhile like watching Urusei Yatsura.

Robot Girls Z+ 3
This could be the only show airing this season and one could still call the season a success.

Sabagebu! 8
More of the usual. I like it, it's funny, I'll watch the OVAs but I think I'm looking forward to it ending as they can't string it out forever.

Senyuu! 1-13
Decent for a short gag comedy that was mostly carried by how much of a shitheel Ross was. Bless him. It also gets point for that sweet, sweet JAM Project OP.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know if we need to burn anyone at the stake over disliking a comedy. Of all the genres, comedy seems to promote the most diverse of reactions and that's something that's been proven time and time again.
Truly excellent comedy shows do not exist outside the sphere of positive qualitative attributes. In the case of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru you have a superb voice cast coming together for something that is analytically clever, confident and comfortable in its pace, and visually creative in ways many other slice of life or comedic shows can't match. SoreMachi is also sweet, personal, and innocently romantic in many respects. It is an extremely accomplished show that stands high among its peers.

VRMN

Truly excellent comedy shows do not exist outside the sphere of positive qualitative attributes. In the case of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru you have a superb voice cast coming together for something that is analytically clever, confident and comfortable in its pace, and visually creative in ways many other slice of life or comedic shows can't match. SoreMachi is also sweet, personal, and innocently romantic in many respects. It is an extremely accomplished show that stands high among its peers.

Agreed fully. SoreMachi is probably the only comedy I've ever watched that actually touched me emotionally. It's incredibly well written, with great characters, a memorable visual style, and fantastic delivery on all fronts. I'm not going to get mad at someone for not finding something funny, but I do think SoreMachi is something special and its animated adaptation is incredible.

cajunator

Banned
Lol, I actually watched the first couple episides one night in Hulu. It's, umm, interesting for sure. I was referring to Ano Natsu.

Stop speaking truths, it hurts even more...

bully, lol

I know. I wasnt impressed with Ano Natsu. It was a bad Onegai Teacher clone.

Zephyx

Another GE player yeeeah

09aca9a04f736962e.gif

lol @ the GIF. Epic indeed.

It's different from the get go but I think they will share the same character arcs when it comes to character development. Can't watch Episode 2 atm but will do as soon as I'm available.

Jarmel

Banned
God Eater-2
CaEvQaT.jpg

ED is pretty boring btw
I wasn't really planning on commenting on this episode as I found it fairly rote but whatever, I'll type some stuff up.
So unlike Fate/Stay Night that inserted background shots into fight sequences, a prominent example being during the initial Lancer/Archer fight at the school, here the show utilizes these scenery shots for a few reasons. In the top image, this establishes the speed the Vajra is heading towards the party, hence explaining why they have time to talk and strategize. It also serves to highlight the damage caused by the enemy forces, which is more important to later establish Eric's location via contrast. Eric is moved to a safer spot and this is visually illustrated by the lack of damage around him.
You can already tell Ufotable is starting slide down the Jiggly Jiggly Heaven slope on this episode in how the action is portrayed during this sequence. The Vajra is supposed to be attacking them and possibly putting pressure on Soma however due to how slow the Vajra's speed is, I never got the sense of danger in that the party members should have easily been able to get out of the way. Soma seems to be waiting to get hit at a few points and the action is fairly flat during this sequence.
I liked this cut due to the quality of Ufotable's digital team in that the electric aftereffects give a sense of how damaged Ranka is from the hit. His involuntary muscle convolutions also give a sense of realism to the attack in that it's not handled in a cartoony sort of way but looks like what would happen if a person was struck by lightning, although there wasn't any sort of visible burn marks. The scene afterwards with him being carted to the trauma center was fine in that shots and cuts were matched to the heart rate monitor which emphasized the damage to his heart from the electricity.
So when do we find out that she was sexually assaulted? If the underboob shot with him leering in the background was enough, we also get the bad touch too.
I liked how this was handled in that the scene didn't linger for five minutes while he gave a lengthy monologue before dying. Another part was that he didn't ask, "Is Renka okay?" but instead looked at him and that was enough. The dramatic lighting when he died was a bit much but it's not a big deal.
One element I liked in this scene was the sound direction in that him grabbing the bars seems to be played up on the sound effect side which helps to emphasize the importance of what he's saying but also his impact on Lindow. The second shot is pretty cool in that Renka is serving as a mirror for Lindow. Note how both characters are in this shot, in which a unique camera angle (for the show) is used. Renka's dialogue is almost certainly applicable for some past event in Lindow's past.
Yea this feels like something either Renka's dad/mentor(?) used to say due to the focus on the compass. However judging by Renka's lack of reaction to the line, he might not have heard it before.
Really though, the best part of the anime so far has been the music. God damn it, it makes me pissed how bad the music was and used for Fate/Stay Night UBW. The music has really helped elevate some of the scenes so far.

Spice & Wolf 8-13

Similar to how volume 2 was a good read, the adaption of said volume was a good watch. It remained faithful the the LN, it kept me invested, and Holo and Lawrence's interactions remain top-notch. Looking forward to watching season 2.

Somebody remind me what the name of the shonen action with the ugly priest kid and the wolf demon is called? Forgot to watch last week's episode.

Bojack Horseman S2 10

Best animated show this season.

Haven't watched S2, did it keep the depressing 2real aspect? That was the best part of S1.

God Eater-2
A joy to read just like your impressions from last week. You have quite the analytical eye, but I like how all of these camera angles and effects are being used to convey something. The direction for this is awesome. Again I say, I wish other anime did this kind of thing too. In these episodes the art coupled with the filmic imagery and camera angles make this a joy for my eyes to see, rather than having static images with flat colours and shading. I'd be ok with more anime using this type of heavy lighting and dynamic camera shots.

Hyouka - 5

I hope this isn't all there is to the Hyouka mystery in this show. This episode provided some closure for Chitanda regarding it, but I hope that the incident this little arc covered ends up being linked to more characters throughout the show.

Like the DL-6 incident in Phoenix Wright. Yes, the first game resolved its story regarding Edgeworth, but it also played a key role regarding what happened with Maya's family that got explained other two games in the original trilogy.

Not that this show has to stay on this topic for a while, those cases in the middle of the Phoenix Wright games had their charms and I'm sure it'll be no different for Hyouka.

Jarmel I like you and all, but don't be insulting my 'lengthy monologue as character is dying' trope. Bladerunner 4ever

"I've… seen things... you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate... All those… moments… will be lost, in time, like tears… in… rain. Time… to die"

That scene... Too. Fucking. Good.

zulux21

finally free of friends and family and able to watch anime again. thus i choose to rewatch no game no life with the dub.

Sora's voice is not remotely like the japanese and is weird at first, but after the first episode I came around to it. it's a different take but fine. Beyond that I still don't get how someone could call this loaded with ecchi fan service through the first 4 eps, but w/e everyone has different standards.

either way this is still a joy to watch through the first 4 episodes and I expect it will continue to be a joy and continue to be easily the best series I watched last year.

Non Non Biyori 05

Short jokes and beach humor. Nothing I haven't seen before but Natsumi and Komari make it fun. Sensei's negligence got a laugh out of me as did Renge's guiltstare*.

cajunator

Banned
finally free of friends and family and able to watch anime again. thus i choose to rewatch no game no life with the dub.

Sora's voice is not remotely like the japanese and is weird at first, but after the first episode I came around to it. it's a different take but fine. Beyond that I still don't get how someone could call this loaded with ecchi fan service through the first 4 eps, but w/e everyone has different standards.

either way this is still a joy to watch through the first 4 episodes and I expect it will continue to be a joy and continue to be easily the best series I watched last year.

Living the life

zulux21

Living the life

it's the first time I have truly had free to watch anime since last tuesday, I will likely catch up on some other shows soon... well at least the ones I am allowed to watch >.>

db super will likely be in a bit if I don't go back to watching no game no life (I am supposed to not watch it until tomorrow evening ><:)

cajunator

Banned
All those moments lost like tears in the r- LOOK A PRETTY RAINBOW

EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE ALL RIGHT NOW

Bladerunner reference? Good dog.

it's the first time I have truly had free to watch anime since last tuesday, I will likely catch up on some other shows soon... well at least the ones I am allowed to watch >.>

db super will likely be in a bit if I don't go back to watching no game no life (I am supposed to not watch it until tomorrow evening ><:)

Somebody tells you what shows you can or cant watch?

shut up baby I know it

The fact that I have to suffer through more Arjuna than Blood-C is terrifying to think about.

Eheheee :3

zulux21

Somebody tells you what shows you can or cant watch?

yup. I'm not allowed to watch most of the currently airing shows by myself so i will have to watch a lot of them tomorrow night, but I will likely be to busy watching no game no life again to watch any of those so they will have to be pushed off until tuesday :p.

I can currently watch db super, baby steps, ace of diamond (of the currently airing stuff that I would want to watch) as well as a number of older shows.

I'm a rebel though so sometimes I just watch whatever and pretend like I didn't :p

cajunator

Banned
yup. I'm not allowed to watch most of the currently airing shows by myself so i will have to watch a lot of them tomorrow night, but I will likely be to busy watching no game no life again to watch any of those so they will have to be pushed off until tuesday :p.

I can currently watch db super, baby steps, ace of diamond (of the currently airing stuff that I would want to watch) as well as a number of older shows.

I'm a rebel though so sometimes I just watch whatever and pretend like I didn't :p

Who prevents you from watching what you want?

Squishy3

Blizted through the rest of Gintama' tonight. (episodes 201 to 251 on Crunchyroll)

It sure is a shame they'll never make more. All those character deaths were crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom