• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Honestly, I wish they'd gone with an 90s art style to match the classic VA. The vibrant and clean style currently is a bit too jarring, especially when they add flashbacks made 20 years ago.

how the fuck

I imagine in the process of putting subs, they mux their own videos, combining video track, audio track and sub tracks. They had a folder with all the past audio tracks of the series and they dragged & dropped the wrong one.

And of course, they sent it as finished without any checks or testing :p.

Snow White with the Red Hair Episode 3

Obi is best new character. Please stick around and I love his hat.

Standing up to Lord Haruka and just walking forward as he tried to threaten her was the best part. Love her confidence and knowledge of the truth. Good performance

Pillow Boys 02

az59a1c.jpg
B2bNUPl.jpg
SQCDNA1.png

Ok, this episode takes place in a car, I think. It seems to be a car but there's no noise so maybe they aren't moving and the cab driver is dead. In fact the only noise in the entire episode is the Pillow Boy talking to...someone. It's not the viewer this time, either! Ok, well sometimes they are moving and sometimes they are not moving, maybe it's a ghost cab. I think I am paying attention to the right things in this show. Pillow Boys are supernatural right?

Today's Pillow Boy does not actually seem to be a Pillow Boy but their nature is still as mysterious as the Ghouls from Tokyo Ghoul or the Titans from Attack on Titan so I cannot confirm. Pillow Boy #2 is the older senpai from work type, but the viewer doesn't even sleep on him so is he actually a Pillow Boy (what the fuck am I talking about?) In fact I am still not convinced Pillow Boys are actually Incubi and when you fall asleep they steal your sexual energy which is a pretty dick move (heh)

Pillow Boys?

Welcome to the N.H.K. ep. 16-END:

I mean, the ending was cute, but I guess I was hoping for more resolution there between Sato and Misaki like everyone else around them, welcome to anime, right?

I don't think the anime non ending argument applies here. The ending of N.H.K. is very much in tone with the series in that even the little progress that was made is a colossal achievement for both Sato and Misaki. Changing your ways is not easy and a more bright or romantic resolution would have betrayed the otherwise serious depiction of how the world works for social rejects.
There's also a lot of hurt feelings on Sato's side since Misaki did kind of play and be dishonest with him. They might overcome those difficulties in the future but that'll take time. After the events that took place it feels like the ending the creators chose was the only one possible.

Mandelbo

Pillow Boys 02

Ok, this episode takes place in a car, I think. It seems to be a car but there's no noise so maybe they aren't moving and the cab driver is dead. In fact the only noise in the entire episode is the Pillow Boy talking to...someone. It's not the viewer this time, either! Ok, well sometimes they are moving and sometimes they are not moving, maybe it's a ghost cab. I think I am paying attention to the right things in this show. Pillow Boys are supernatural right?

Today's Pillow Boy does not actually seem to be a Pillow Boy but their nature is still as mysterious as the Ghouls from Tokyo Ghoul or the Titans from Attack on Titan so I cannot confirm. Pillow Boy #2 is the older senpai from work type, but the viewer doesn't even sleep on him so is he actually a Pillow Boy (what the fuck am I talking about?) In fact I am still not convinced Pillow Boys are actually Incubi and when you fall asleep they steal your sexual energy which is a pretty dick move (heh)

Pillow Boys?

The guy in the pictures looks unbelievably suspicious. He's probably a murderer or something! I wouldn't get in a car with someone who looked so suspicious.

zulux21

King Kai's VA is like 83 years old, can people give the guy a break

I really don't care if he is 20 or 120 if you can't do the job right you shouldn't be doing the job.

I mean it's nice that at 83 he was willing to do it, but they should have just recasted him to someone who could do it right... if not right at least decently. This is one of my only major problems with them bringing back series from the 80s-90s them getting back original voice actors even if they were/are now garbage tier instead of recasting to a better actor. I know goku couldn't have easily been recast (and despite my great dislike of the voice in general there is at least proper emotional range there), but king kai easily could have been.

It's not just english dubs that have gotten quite a bit better since the 90s, a lot of the japanese voices from the 90s and before are also terrible @_@.

I really don't care if he is 20 or 120 if you can't do the job right you shouldn't be doing the job.

I mean it's nice that at 83 he was willing to do it, but they should have just recasted him to someone who could do it right... if not right at least decently. This is one of my only major problems with them bringing back series from the 80s-90s them getting back original voice actors even if they were/are now garbage tier instead of recasting to a better actor. I know goku couldn't have easily been recast (and despite my great dislike of the voice in general there is at least proper emotional range there), but king kai easily could have been.

It's not just english dubs that have gotten quite a bit better since the 90s, a lot of the japanese voices from the 90s and before are also terrible @_@.

Voice Acting is taken far more serious in Japan, you can't just remove a well respected 83 year old veteran in the industry on a long running series like Dragon Ball. Imagine if Abrams recasted someone other then Harrison Ford to be Han Solo despite Ford being 73 years old, people would throw a fit. Now in Episode VII it's made so the characters have aged so it makes a bit more sense, but still. It's even more ridiculous when people want Goku to be recasted since Nozawa is so respected. There's also agencies and shit.

Firemind

I don't care what anyone says. Ryo Horikawa has one of the most badass voices in the industry.

They should have let Hironobu Kageyama do the OP tho.

zulux21

Voice Acting is taken far more serious in Japan, you can't just remove a well respected 83 year old veteran in the industry on a long running series like Dragon Ball. Imagine if Abrams recasted someone other then Harrison Ford to be Han Solo despite Ford being 73 years old, people would throw a fit. Now in Episode VII it's made so the characters have aged so it makes a bit more sense, but still. It's even more ridiculous when people want Goku to be recasted since Nozawa is so respected. There's also agencies and shit.

I'd be fine with han being recast as well if he can't do a decent job at acting anymore. obviously if he can do the job properly it's best to keep them, but the guy doing king kai has absolutely no emotional range at all, it's just terrible, distracting, and amaturish in general.

Respected veteran or not most people can't be happy that his performance is utter crap and any given rookie with a deep voice could easily do his job better.

to be fair I am not sure how he sounded in the original. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he was a garbage tier actor back then too but still got work since he was one of the few people doing voice acting back then.

as I said, while I greatly dislike goku's voice actress, I can at least see she has emotional range, I don't get why king kai's voice actor was ever respected given his performance in super.

You know after watching God Eater's anime, it's making me want a Freedom Wars anime adaption. The reason I say this is because the game's setting has huge potential to be really good in an anime format. Plus if they took some liberties with the plot and everything it could turn out really great if handled right.

Now I really want an anime adaption of Freedom Wars by a competent staff.

Tuck

Re: Snow White - is episode 3 her getting kidnapped/need saving again? Cause if its just that every week I think I'm out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This literally can't be worse than Fujiko Mine so I'm excited.

That's how low the bar is. It's on the ground now.

It would be a very poor bar to use for limbo.

Rokka 3

Pretty good episode. A few of the Braves are fighting against each other, which shows a underlying mistrust that will continue to happen.

Can't wait till everyone gathers.

Jex

It's probably worth pointing out that Lupin appears to be fighting zombies in that opening so I'm going to just assume this season will be fairly damn wacky.

phaze

It took me way too long to realise that there is no Lupin I or Lupin II series you have to go through to be be able to watch Lupin III.

Or that the bearded guy isn't actually Lupin.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Good job jexhius, your relentless Jigen viral marketing all these years has co-opted Lupin's own brand.

NeonZ

What, exactly, did Imagawa do? That's just how the story has always ended, except Imagawa makes it more awesome via a number of unique touches.

But there's supposed to be a sequel and Imagawa knew that, and it's even teased in the very first episode, and then again near the ending... I really wish he had just gone with a faster pacing and had used 8 or so episodes of the run for his take on the Great Mazinger part of the story...

Cornbread78

I don't think the anime non ending argument applies here. The ending of N.H.K. is very much in tone with the series in that even the little progress that was made is a colossal achievement for both Sato and Misaki. Changing your ways is not easy and a more bright or romantic resolution would have betrayed the otherwise serious depiction of how the world works for social rejects.
There's also a lot of hurt feelings on Sato's side since Misaki did kind of play and be dishonest with him. They might overcome those difficulties in the future but that'll take time. After the events that took place it feels like the ending the creators chose was the only one possible.

NO, it wasn't a "manga promo" ending, it just wasn't where I thought it was going to go for those two.
Everyone else got a "happy ending" but those two are just "friends" or yet another stalemate mentor relationship, even after he realizes he loves her?
Just didn't sit well with me...

N.H.K. is not a romcom.

Definately not a RomCom

Dragon Ball Super 3

These episodes go by too fast. It was a enjoyable sol episode. So I guess Beerus is the guy who made the dinosaurs go extinct.

God Eater - 02

This episode was good.

I like what they did with the animation and i like all the characters so far.

So far the main character made 2 rookies mistakes but was protected by plot armor...

I'm ok with it.

phaze

Here we go again. Perriot beginning to milk Tokyo Ghoul dry.

Oh well at least I'll get some good reaction faces from this OVA.

A PV with not even an ounce of actual new footage in it. Just some chara design sketches. Why even release it so long before release. The first OVA isn't even out I think.

To be fair, this was always part of a greater lore leading into Great Mazinger and Mazinkaiser.

Yikes. Probably should have learned something about the franchise beforehand. It might have saved me from expecting a more conclusive ending.

Though I hope your anger at Shin Mazinger doesn't cause you to stay away from G Gundam, because
it doesn't have the cliffhanger ending, if that's what you're worried about.

I think that, the ending excepted, I liked it more than the GB, so if anything, it increased the chances of me ever getting to it.

What, exactly, did Imagawa do? That's just how the story has always ended, except Imagawa makes it more awesome via a number of unique touches.

He failed to push out a sequel.

Or to rewrite that cliffhanger into something more edible.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This literally can't be worse than Fujiko Mine so I'm excited.

That's how low the bar is. It's on the ground now.

It would be a very poor bar to use for limbo.
Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone reset the bar. I kind of don't really want to go back to full goofball traditional Lupin. I would also be pretty surprised if that Italian Lupin OP is what the Japanese version uses.

Jex

But there's supposed to be a sequel and Imagawa knew that, and it's even teased in the very first episode, and then again near the ending... I really wish he had just gone with a faster pacing and had used 8 or so episodes of the run for his take on the Great Mazinger part of the story...

I mean, that's still hardly his fault. Especially considering he apparently had £27 to make the series we should be glad we got what we got!

Also, I don't think there was really any room to squeeze another story in there. It worked out pretty damn well, all things considered. I don't really detest cliff hanger endings as much as I perhaps should, so I have a rather different perspective.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 03

Mikan sucks

I don't remember the talking glasses being introduced so early?

Don't you dare talk bad about Mikan, she makes the second best faces next to the Principal...on that note please have Akane appear soon!
ywh7g7D.jpg

And yeah Fuku appeared early, he shouldn't of infected her glasses until another 20-40ish chapters.

Of course, Toei are pulling that exact stunt in Digimon Adventure Tri, replacing the respected original cast members with a bunch of new voices. So they aren't even consistent with this.

Narag

That ending was amazing for directly subverting expectations as to what should have happened with Great Mazinger showing up to wreck shop. That'd been three times over already between the original tv series, the Mazinger Z vs The General of Darkness movie, and to a lesser extent, the Mazinkaiser remake of that movie.
Also for making Ashura the winner when he's typically the perennial loser of the franchise!

You know after watching God Eater's anime, it's making me want a Freedom Wars anime adaption. The reason I say this is because the game's setting has huge potential to be really good in an anime format. Plus if they took some liberties with the plot and everything it could turn out really great if handled right.

Now I really want an anime adaption of Freedom Wars by a competent staff.

I would watch this.

cajunator

Banned
It's pretty quiet in here.

2x2 Ninja Nonsense 01-02
thanks arcadius

This is absolutely stupid - in a good way, most of the time. Osakumaru's voice actor doesn't seem quite enthusiastic enough to match what the character's doing on screen, and he's bordering more on being annoying than funny, but other than that it's been a fairly entertaining watch so far. It really doesn't take itself at all seriously, as you'd guess from the title, and it's stayed unexpectedly ecchi-free so far, which was a surprise given the premise of the first episode! All these ninjas are called Sasuke and all they want to do is have a good time, which is nice.

e: oh, also the end credits are done in stop motion, like they were in Manabi Straight - is this just something ufotable liked doing at the time?

Ahh this show. I love it so much.
from the infectiously crazy opening you can tell that this show will go 100% batshit insane and it delivers.
bless Shinobu and Wakamoto sama!

Welcome to the N.H.K. ep. 16-END:
My goodness, what a crazy ending on this one. You all were right, it just keeps getting darker and darker and the psychological twists and turns are just plain craziness... I knw she was too good to be true. It's funny how they try to portray here in one way but they do a 180 with her. I mean, the ending was cute, but I guess I was hoping for more resolution there between Sato and Misaki like everyone else around them, welcome to anime, right? The most astonishing thing about this series is the way the director can change tone and mood in each episode so well. It pulls you along the crazy path that everyone was on in this one and really makes you keep going....

Yeah it turns out that Misaki
is even more screwed up than Sato and dangerously depressed
really made me feel for her situation.

Are you serious? Uggggh. :(

I hope they fix this soon.

Aww, really? That's all there is to it? Like, it never gets brought up again? That's a shame, because I was really interested in that backstory.

Pretty much, haha.

Though I hope your anger at Shin Mazinger doesn't cause you to stay away from G Gundam, because
it doesn't have the cliffhanger ending, if that's what you're worried about.

Yeah I actually liked those episodes, but they only spent two of them exploring that.

cajunator

Banned

agreed. Very realistic way to end it.
i was pleased with it.
the battle was not over but important progress was made.
Sato likely will be able to finally come to terms with everything and move in a positive direction. Same with Misaki.

It's probably worth pointing out that Lupin appears to be fighting zombies in that opening so I'm going to just assume this season will be fairly damn wacky.

Thats a great thing when it involves Lupin.

phaze

That ending was amazing for directly subverting expectations as to what should have happened with Great Mazinger showing up to wreck shop. That'd been three times over already between the original tv series, the Mazinger Z vs The General of Darkness movie, and to a lesser extent, the Mazinkaiser remake of that movie.
Also for making Ashura the winner when he's typically the perennial loser of the franchise!

Shin Mazinger Z spoilers

I mean, I'm all for subverting expectations,a non happy ending and the best character winning but from what this franchise seems to be about, the story will end with the inevitable big bang, super,hyper,electro punch dealing with Gorgon/Hades/whatever else has crawled out of the writers minds into the script.

The subverting of expectations happens only as a function of this being an incomplete story and is just a usual bump on the road to ultimate victory for Kabuto. Kill off the Kouji&crew, make the bad guys win for real if you want to really break the mold.

To get Tsukiyama fans excited.

Tsukiyama has fans ? brrrrrr

This world really is wrong.

They could do a lot of potentially interesting things with Accessories and even have the android develop alongside the MC. Which is why I said taking liberties with some of the game's aspects would be great if handled competently.

Have the accessory go full commando.

Then if they wanna throw in the pandering and fan service for more views there's also those idols that were used for promoting the game, those seem to be big in Japan. Put those in the show, make the stuff being shown look good and cool and do what Ufotable is doing with God Eater which is to make the story an anime rather than a game, change stuff around to make it entertaining and easier to watch. It'd be perfect and it'd do just fine.

Narag

Shin Mazinger Z spoilers

I mean, I'm all for subverting expectations,a non happy ending and the best character winning but from what this franchise seems to be about, the story will end with the inevitable big bang, super,hyper,electro punch dealing with Gorgon/Hades/whatever else has crawled out of the writers minds into the script.

The subverting of expectations happens only as a function of this being an incomplete story and is just a usual bump on the road to ultimate victory for Kabuto. Kill off the Kouji&crew, make the bad guys win for real if you want to really break the mold.

Story is complete since it was secretly Ashura's story all along! I think killing everyone off would have been a mistake as it would have ruined the possible sequel hook that they were already teasing with Blade. Having the first round of heroes live through the apocalypse they caused and being forced to confront their own fuckups would have been delicious but I suppose that sort of thing would be a retread of Getter Robo Armageddon. Regardless, I'll be waiting for Shin Great Mazinger forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom