• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

Shimoneta 03

Oh my god this show is fantastic - you have sleepy-chan, a small, petulant artist who sounds like an old woman, and Okuma being mistaken for a masochist. Why can't I just watch episode four now? All the jokes are hitting exactly the right marks for me!

Then if they wanna throw in the pandering and fan service for more views there's also those idols that were used for promoting the game, those seem to be big in Japan. Put those in the show, make the stuff being shown look good and cool and do what Ufotable is doing with God Eater which is to make the story an anime rather than a game, change stuff around to make it entertaining and easier to watch. It'd be perfect and it'd do just fine.

Oh crap I forgot about that trailer. Now that I think about it could definitely be a goldmine if handled properly. I mean the game did sell more than 350K, what's to say the anime won't do well.

Oh crap I forgot about that trailer. Now that I think about it could definitely be a goldmine if handled properly. I mean the game did sell more than 350K, what's to say the anime won't do well.
33199-hh.jpg

These 3 would sell this to the female idol fans. Then there's these guys too, for those who are not into girls:

You need animal cuteness in your anime? There's this guy too:

Lastly you have tons of action in a place where everyone is incarcerated just for existing, and the only way to get out is by doing whatever the Panopticon tells you to do: fight monsters, get supplies, prevent invasions.

For better or worse everything here screams anime lol. Or at least what we get as anime these days.

phaze

Story is complete since it was secretly Ashura's story all along! I think killing everyone off would have been a mistake as it would have ruined the possible sequel hook that they were already teasing with Blade. Having the first round of heroes live through the apocalypse they caused and being forced to confront their own fuckups would have been delicious but I suppose that sort of thing would be a retread of Getter Robo Armageddon. Regardless, I'll be waiting for Shin Great Mazinger forever!

You got that right !

Shimoneta 03

Oh my god this show is fantastic - you have sleepy-chan, a small, petulant artist who sounds like an old woman, and Okuma being mistaken for a masochist. Why can't I just watch episode four now? All the jokes are hitting exactly the right marks for me!

Shimoneta is the saviour of this season.

Maybe my innocent soul was the only one unaware of this but here is some backstory on the (NSFW probably) pool that shows up in the show.

You got that right !

Maybe my innocent soul was the only one unaware of this but here is some backstory on the (NSFW probably) pool that shows up in the show.

Hadn't really seen this until now. So I guess if this image is any indication of what the whole show is going to be like
Anna really does lose her shit for the MC.
Things are gonna be very interesting lol

Mandelbo

Heh, you underestimate me - I already knew about the pool because there was a JList newsletter on it once.
I'm not lying
The jokes really are good though, aren't they? I wasn't expecting it to be this good!

Taruranto

What can't Narsus do? #10

There is no way Falangies is surviving the series without slicing her tits off with that outfit.

You got that right !

Shimoneta is quite fun and even quite smart at times (which considering the orignal material is a LN, it's high praise), hopefully it doesn't devolve into ecchi-harem bullshit.

Pillow Boys 02

I just noticed the 12 year old kid in the OP, that's going to make for one awkward episode. Not that all of this is awkward to watch, I liked this boy more than the first one though.

Million Doll 03

This is fun but it doesn't really work with this three minute format, maybe I should watch it after all of it has aired.

Cornbread78

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime ep.3
Another episode, another incident for portable Shirayuki. It's all the red hair's fault, right? Again, Zen has a great perspective and continues to shine in his role as prince, as well as part-time guard duty for Shirayuki. I love the coloring and atmosphere for the show, but I hope we get a "comfy" episode for poor Red at some point. I must also say, they gave both Zen and Shirayuki great personality and bring it out well each week.

Crocodile

Warriors of the Six Flowers 1-3

• Adelt is awesome. Gives me strong Joesph Joestar vibes <3
  • The princess doesn't really look like she is the princess of an Aztec tribe. She seems misplaced. Also what's with the bunny ears?
  • A lot of silly outfits but that pretty much applies to everybody of all genders :p
  • I feel there are dragging out/forcing this conflict with Fremy and the other Braves
  • Come back awesome animation from episode 1! (yes I know how anime production works :p)
A World Where Dirty Jokes Don't Exist 1-3
Putting aside the fact that the premise can't work (a world where teenagers don't know what sex is or where babies come from sounds like a disaster waiting to happen) this is pretty fun and has a few heartfelt moments strewn about. Anna is kind of terrifying when riled up - the cliffhanger from the most recent episode could be huge.

Food Wars (all caught up)
This is shonen through and through but quality shonen. Megumi could stand to have more self confidence but I think that cook-off with the French chef was important for her and I glad it came this soon. Soma is a genius but so far I've never felt his wins were contrived even if the world has kind of protected him and his friends from expulsion more than you'd expect in real life (though no real life school would be so expulsion happy anyway). Every time I see Nikumi cook in her bikini I get afraid she'll burn herself or something and I wince. Also Alice is a doofus and Erina need to get over her tsundere shtick, its gotten old.

Voice Acting is taken far more serious in Japan, you can't just remove a well respected 83 year old veteran in the industry on a long running series like Dragon Ball. Imagine if Abrams recasted someone other then Harrison Ford to be Han Solo despite Ford being 73 years old, people would throw a fit. Now in Episode VII it's made so the characters have aged so it makes a bit more sense, but still. It's even more ridiculous when people want Goku to be recasted since Nozawa is so respected. There's also agencies and shit.

Replacing a Voice Actor is not the same as replacing a Live Action Actor- I don't think your comparison holds. I've always been fine with Goku's Japanese voice but it helps that even at 80+ (she's pretty old right?) she's still got it. I have to agree with zulux21 that King Kai's Japanese VA SUCKS! Every time he opens his mouth it feels like all the energy is being suck out of the room :(

Gintama 193

This episode sucked, they gather Otae, Amane, Kagura, Kyubei and Shinpachi together to learn how to cook and then just talk about B'z for 20 minutes while Shinpachi yells, I am disappointed this should've been a great episode, too bad Soma wasn't in Jump when this episode happened

Warriors of the Six Flowers 1-3

[*]The princess doesn't really look like she is the princess of an Aztec tribe. She seems misplaced. Also what's with the bunny ears? :(

Well, it isn't really Aztec. It's fantasy world where they took some visual inspiration from Aztecs where they wanted. Real aztecs also didn't have gunpowder.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru - 03-04

So yeh that was better. With fewer of the jokes referring to the maid café setting and warming up some to Hotori and Sensei (quite liking their interaction), as well as the introduction of Kon, who seems fun, I enjoyed this quite a bit more. Seems like there's a bit more to characters than I was apprehensive of.

Now I still didn't find anything downright hilarious but at least some of the comedy got me to smile.

Nice OP and ED btw. Also a Sayonara Zetsubou moment, which is one of the few comedy anime that work for me, even though it can be kinda draining and might be the least binge-watchable show I've seen yet.

I wonder how you found the series depressing.

Then again seeing a school basically empty with only a few students is pretty depressing.

There are some moments where the tone changes drastically, Natsumi wondering what death is like in the third episode of season one for example.

Cornbread78

Nodame Cantabile ep. 1-6
Early setup of the relationship between the MC and heroine is very similar to Itazura na Kiss. The MC is super dreamy musician but doesn't think much of the Nodame (but will later.) She is the klutzy heroine that can't take care of herself, but is crazy in love with Chiaki right away. It's really early on, so the focus is on the Chiaki's attempt at being an or Chastain conductor, but everyone said this one is really good, so let's see what happens.

Akagami no Shirayukihime - 3

I was afraid for a moment that Shirayuki was going to need to be saved again, but thankfully that wasn't the case and she got to be really awesome in this episode without things going wrong.

Good stuff.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Will watch freedom wars anime. The game have so much potential... a shame there's no freedom wars extend edition or new event...

God eater 2

My opinion on this episode basically agree witha what Jarmel said. Especially speed. I think the fight scene need more oomph.

Cornbread78

I was afraid for a moment that Shirayuki was going to need to be saved again, but thankfully that wasn't the case and she got to be really awesome in this episode without things going wrong.

Good stuff.

Every week someone else is out to get her. At least this week (like u said) she was able to stand tall because Zen had her back. Love the personal drive and conviction.

The fan fiction thread is reminding me how bad anime exposition can be. Even the fan fiction writers do it better

"wake up Sarah" said Sarahs mom. Sarah was pokemon trainer who was thirteen years old with black hair and nice smile and really pretty. "ok mom" said Sara and she rememberd that she was old enough for pokemon journey because pokemon leage changed age that trainers could leave home and Sarah went to see professer Oak.

"Hi Oak" said Sarah and Oak told sarah that he had only one pokemon left.

"It is evee" said Oak and Sarah said it was her favorite and Oak gave her pokeball and sarah let pokemon out.

"eevee" said the eevee. "it is so kawaii" said sarah (it is japanese for cute ok!)

Masterful. Every anime should be like this

Good stuff.

Can't wait to watch this episode. One of the many reasons I enjoy watching this anime is due to how strong of a character Shirayuki is.

Will watch freedom wars anime. The game have so much potential... a shame there's no freedom wars extend edition or new event...

God eater 2

My opinion on this episode basically agree witha what Jarmel said. Especially speed. I think the fight scene need more oomph.

Hopefully a Freedom Wars sequel comes out. The game did sell really good and plus if they were to produce an anime to promote the sequel than that would be even great.

The fan fiction thread is reminding me how bad anime exposition can be. Even the fan fiction writers do it better

Just spit my drink all over the goddamn place lmfao. I hope for their own sake that this was written by a kid or that it is a joke.

Hopefully a Freedom Wars sequel comes out. The game did sell really good and plus if they were to produce an anime to promote the sequel than that would be even great.
This. And Bamco also needs to fucking hurry up and bring GE back to the West. I love me some hunting action, but these 2 series resonated better with me in terms of setting and mechanics.

OceanBlue

That thread is amazing. It really makes me wonder if there are otherwise good writers that try to make batshit crossover fanfic premises and try to make something good out of them just because the whole thing seems so hilarious.

Jintor

there is an inherent joy to crossovers that can really enthrall people who would otherwise be probably doing their own thing but don't really want to bother doing all the setup of having to make audiences care about their original characters

there is an inherent joy to crossovers that can really enthrall people who would otherwise be probably doing their own thing but don't really want to bother doing all the setup of having to make audiences care about their original characters

I need more bad fan fic. It's a fucking drug for me.

wonzo

Banned
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru - 03-04

So yeh that was better. With fewer of the jokes referring to the maid café setting and warming up some to Hotori and Sensei (quite liking their interaction), as well as the introduction of Kon, who seems fun, I enjoyed this quite a bit more. Seems like there's a bit more to characters than I was apprehensive of.

Now I still didn't find anything downright hilarious but at least some of the comedy got me to smile.

Nice OP and ED btw. Also a Sayonara Zetsubou moment, which is one of the few comedy anime that work for me, even though it can be kinda draining and might be the least binge-watchable show I've seen yet.
in

Shimoneta 2

Wow, the OP is amazing! That's some damn good music. The ED is pretty nice too.

Yo, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd be able to survive in this society. My black ass would definitely be in jail.
And as if things weren't already bad, you tell me they're now trying to fully monitor everything you do? Fuck outta here with that noise.

There's still a few things I don't understand yet; are the adults in this show not even doing anything "immoral"? Do they have to abide by these terrible rules as well? How can anyone have a healthy relationship? How the hell are young people supposed to know how to make a child, or is that the point?

I kinda feel like this anime is social commentary on Japan.

Shimoneta 3

Great episode. Best one so far. Ayame is such an awesome character; artist girl too.
Oh my, Anna has become self-aware!

Shimoneta 2

Wow, the OP is amazing! That's some damn good music. The ED is pretty nice too.

Yo, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd be able to survive in this society. My black ass would definitely be in jail.
And as if things weren't already bad, you tell me they're now trying to fully monitor everything you do? Fuck outta here with that noise.

There's still a few things I don't understand yet; are the adults in this show not even doing anything "immoral"? Do they have to abide by these terrible rules as well? How can anyone have a healthy relationship? How the hell are young people supposed to know how to make a child, or is that the point?

I kinda feel like this anime is social commentary on Japan.

Shimoneta 3

Great episode. Best one so far. Ayame is such an awesome character; artist girl too.
Oh my, Anna has become self-aware!

That's one thing that's been bugging me since they even showed pregnant women at some point. Are these people selected or something? None of them know what sex is, nor are they allowed to speak about it, so how the heck do things work lol.

ibyea

Banned
That's one thing that's been bugging me since they even showed pregnant women at some point. Are these people selected or something? None of them know what sex is, nor are they allowed to speak about it, so how the heck do things work lol.

Shhhh. You are not supposed to question that! ;)

Hyouka - 6

Kind of a step down from last episode as we go from discussing about a big event in the school's history to talking about why a teacher accidentally taught the wrong lesson to a class a few hours ago.

Character interactions are still good though.

Zephyx

Shimoneta 3
He triggered all the romance flags in one episode. <3

This is getting really interesting. I wonder how the student council president will react after being aware of feeling that good with JUST a kiss.

Charlotte 1
Is this Lelouch v2.0? That smug face, gestures and hairstyle bears too much resemblance. Well, that aside, the premise of the story is interesting. I just hope this finishes in one season given this is an original anime series.

Hyouka - 6

Kind of a step down from last episode as we go from discussing about a big event in the school's history to talking about why a teacher accidentally taught the wrong lesson to a class a few hours ago.

Character interactions are still good though.

For future note and preparation, this series adapts 4 of the 5 novels published by Yonezawa in 2011. I list here the breakdown.
Novel 1 - Episodes 1-5 (first half of ep 1)
Novel 2 - Episodes 8-11
Novel 3 - Episodes 12-17
Novel 4 - Episodes 1, 6-7, 19-22 (short stories collection; second half of episode 1)
Un-collected short - Episode 18 (story included with BD v9)
Anime-original - Episode 11.5 (OVA; plot written by Yonezawa)

For the record, everything is shown in chronological order from the novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom