• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saprol

The Eccentric Family

I don't really get why anybody did what they did in the show but okay. At some point I was looking up discussions after each episode.

Log Horizon S1

Any time the half-assed romance is brought up, the show just drags so much. The start of the festival arc with the cake nonsense or whenever Serara is around. Bleh.

Watched Tokyo Godfathers as per recommendations here.

Great film, great story. The animation was sublime and at times absolutely hilarious.

Need to watch more from Satoshi Kon.

Jintor

tumblr_nrtcy5NV4P1qhmn8no1_540.png
tumblr_nrtcy5NV4P1qhmn8no2_540.png

Actually, I Am ep.3
Good backstory episode this week, but we also got another reveal at the same time. This is a fun show to watch, I just hope they give us a decent ending at the end of the season, although I'm well aware this is another "promo" anime for the manga... oh wel, it keeps delivering each week..

Just read the manga, all of us on Mangagaf (Except Wonzo for reasons) love it. You don't have to deal with the moeish art style they decided to use for the anime as well! More then anything you will get to see the true epic faces that the anime won't be able to pull off.
bvht79zss33papppxiia.png

Saprol

Errr, what do you mean?
Just nitpicking over stuff that happened I guess.
Why's Yasaburo hanging with people who threaten to eat him?
Tanuki are apparently sapient in this world but Benten seems okay with eating them.
Hey brother, can you stop going in circles already? No, it's my stupid nature.
Wow, Sou won the election, better kill (almost) his entire family. The Ebisugawa brothers were comically evil too.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 24

Best roommates. Kirara is good at improv. Towa doesn't quite get this secret identity thing. Kirara is moving up in the world. Towa is already scooping up Earth servants. And Haruka still has nothing. Nice bickering. Haruka and Yui looked ready to get some popcorn. Kirara is busy managing school, work, and Towa. No wonder she's tired. Turns out laundry was the key to friendship. Kirara fixes Towa, then herself like a boss. Flaming meteor shower. Sweet. These two are going to go far.

I think it's official. This show needs to drop Minami, demote Haruka to a secondary character, and make this a buddy cop show starring Kirara and Towa.

Mature

Tanuki are apparently sapient in this world but Benten seems okay with eating them.
Wow, Sou won the election, better kill (almost) his entire family. The Ebisugawa brothers were comically evil too.
I'm in the middle of rewatching the show right now, so as to what happens with the election and the events in the second half, I don't have a lot to add since it's been awhile. However, the show makes one of its core tenets realigning the expectations of the actions of its characters based around their (clearly) foolhardy nature. You brush it off, but these characters and their truly unique outlook are what makes the series what it is.

Jintor

Umaru-chan 2

Yeah i guess I'm ready to call it. From a production standpoint it's quite good, but I don't know how, but they just failed to capture the manga idea that Umaru is fundamentally likable even though she's superficially bratty. Instead they've overdosed on the bratty and all you're left with is a bunch of jokes about how much big bro is getting shat on and lol Ebina.

Might get better once they introduce more cast members so I'll keep an eye out, but I should probably go back to Love Lab or something.

Saprol

I'm in the middle of rewatching the show right now, so as to what happens with the election and the events in the second half, I don't have a lot to add since it's been awhile. However, the show makes one of its core tenets realigning the expectations of the actions of its characters based around their (clearly) foolhardy nature. You brush it off, but these characters and their truly unique outlook are what makes the series what it is.
Those kind of themes just go over my head, hence the need to go look up what other people were saying about the show. I sort of saw an inkling of it during the last episode but otherwise it really distracted me.

wonzo

Banned
jitsu wa anime designs are an improvement over the manga tho it still isn't enough to elevate it above forgettable dreck

Mandelbo

That's one thing that's been bugging me since they even showed pregnant women at some point. Are these people selected or something? None of them know what sex is, nor are they allowed to speak about it, so how the heck do things work lol.

Hm... I wonder, have we seen any actual children yet? Anyone younger than the protagonists, aside from in flashbacks?

Kotoura-san ep.6-END
Well, that last episode was really, really cute as hell and really made up for some of the dark places this one went to at times. Poor Kotoura had a rough go of her life up to now and somehow things go right for once. Most importantly, this was finally a story that tied up almost all loose ends before the credits roll. It was good to see how they played it all out in the end. They could continue if they wanted to, but it really was a complete story as-is and had a very fulfilling ending.

One of the things I remember most about Kotoura-san is how it all calms down a bit after she gets brought back from her uncle's house, and it seems a little like it'll turn into the fun, laid back anime you thought it was going to be.
Then someone gets murdered in a back alley and the murderer later traps and attempts to murder Kotoura-san.

Articalys

seems like it's mostly shows by certain distributors that you should worry about, like the company behind umaru-chan's subs

and funi in general I guess
So that would be... Toho, looks like? Any other companies you want to call out? I'd appreciate the early warning.

(Great, now I'm worried that my Haikyuu, One Week Friends, and Mikakunin watches were riddled with mistranslations all along.)

Most characters aren't human, they don't use human logic. For them being eaten it's a sad but normal occurrence of life.
The world actually is a mix of present reality and ancient fables and myths, and it also uses logic of said fables, where it's somehow "okay" to eat sentient beings.

Thoraxes

New arrival!

Looking forward to watching all of S1 again. Once S2 hits in October i'll be sure to pick up the rest of the releases too!

2015-07-2103.51.425tq0d.jpg

Cornbread78

One of the things I remember most about Kotoura-san is how it all calms down a bit after she gets brought back from her uncle's house, and it seems a little like it'll turn into the fun, laid back anime you thought it was going to be.
Then someone gets murdered in a back alley and the murderer later traps and attempts to murder Kotoura-san.

Yeah, definitely. After that visit, the tone does change for the better outside of the one incident. Even that wasn't as bad as the events from the beginning. I was impressed with the way they ended it. Everyone was resolved other then the
father, but he was never mentioned again after the beginning. .

Gbraga

Charlotte 3

BcFsYKd.gif

Bye bye

Non Non Biyori Repeat 3

Ahhh man, Nattsun was the best this week. TT_TT

Did the general audience dislike Hotarun? She seems to not be the focus of the show as much as in season 1, I'd say Ren-chon is the main character of Repeat so far.

Just watched episode 1 of Gangsta..Not bad at all.

It gets better! Episode 3 was amazing, can't wait for the next one.

Mandelbo

Non Non Biyori Repeat 3

Ahhh man, Nattsun was the best this week. TT_TT

Did the general audience dislike Hotarun? She seems to not be the focus of the show as much as in season 1, I'd say Ren-chon is the main character of Repeat so far.

Just as planned!

So that would be... Toho, looks like? Any other companies you want to call out? I'd appreciate the early warning.

(Great, now I'm worried that my Haikyuu, One Week Friends, and Mikakunin watches were riddled with mistranslations all along.)

TBS mostly due to the Sentai connection and the in-house staff going for idiocy ("Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions", "Wicked King Shingai", mis-translating a line in Kyoukai ep 1, the 19 errors in Chunibyou S2 ep 1).

cajunator

Banned
So Shirobako is right after all lol?

She does look hella cuter. But without seeing the manga version personality, I cant really judge her character.

So far, Food Wars! is the best anime I've seen all year.

Its way up there. Hard to quantify the best, but Soma is just joyous to watch.

Gate un-tomboyed the tomboy character? Wow good thing I'm not watching that shitty show

Hmmm. Thats kind of disappointing. Zachy wont approve.

No game no life dub rewatch

still a great series even when I know what is coming. I am now officially supporting the books, my first one should be here weds lol.

I should check out the dub but the japanese voices are just so cute. Especially Shiro. It would have to be pretty adorable.

I don't know if I spent too long gazing into the abyss that is anitwitter or what, but now I'm really worried about simulcast translation quality.

Its not that awful. It gets really overblown. Some people are just never happy and they actively look for things to be unhappy about. Kind of like my Dad.

Lain

Ghost in the Shell - Arise 1-2

I heard some negative noise about Arise so I went in with tempered expectations and I liked what I saw. Still, it felt like a Ghost in the Shell thing in name only, mainly for the musics. Great closing music that I enjoyed, but the music dusring the episode just didn't feel like it fit the atmosphere or the... expectations of GITS.
I'm nonetheless looking forward to the next one, whenever it gets released over here.

Ghost in the Shell - Solid State Society

Right after Arise, I decided to finally open the BRD and watch this too. I liked it much more compared to Arise, music and songs especially (Origa.... RIP), although the end was partly disappointing. It felt a bit too much heavy-handed with the message they tried to convey.

Was sure the CR translator had made mistakes and misspellings that fans had called out. I dont know if Sentai used the same ones though. Never forget tsookie. Oh and also that time that CR had the wrong teams name on the scoreboard + .
CKcVZuaUcAEx13C.png

CKcbRUIWsAAuN9s.jpg

Isnt every company using freelance people for simulcast translations and positions, seems whoever trained these folks (if they were trained) and accredited them must have differing definitions of good translating and reading.

cajunator

Banned

Great film, great story. The animation was sublime and at times absolutely hilarious.

MILLENNIUM ACTRESS!
One of the most gorgeous movies Ive ever seen. Plus THAT SOUNDTRACK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_N5gL6zUc

New arrival!

Looking forward to watching all of S1 again. Once S2 hits in October i'll be sure to pick up the rest of the releases too!

2015-07-2103.51.425tq0d.jpg

Man I need to watch this. Been interested in it a long time but the discs used to be hard to find and kind of expensive.

Shinometa 3
Voice of goddess!
the beast has awaken

Which goddess would that be?

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 41

Is that the best Aki can do? I hope she duels at least one more time. With her power under control she could be amazing.

Stardust Dragon reconfirmed for best dragon.

lonely

The Monster Strike anime will air on youtube. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAn5nwhca2Q Click CC for english subs. It's a shame its not doing something more creative with its source material like Rage of Bahamut did but its clearly going for a difference audience and try to be widespread as possible hence the choice of platform.

The Monster Strike anime will air on youtube. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAn5nwhca2Q Click CC for english subs. It's a shame its not doing something more creative with its source material like Rage of Bahamut did but its clearly going for a difference audience and try to be widespread as possible hence the choice of platform.

Why would anyone want that? Its looks so cool and fills the voice left by Oreca Battle and DraColle for me. The lead is so good. I hope its 50 episodes.
CKcrrb2VEAQkrKJ.png

cajunator

Banned

WHERE IS MY SUU?

Hmm...looks Gundam Build Fighter-ish
Probably very different hah!

Finalow

that's the movie you should watch yearly when it's christmas.

check out Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress if you haven't already.

Overlord Episode 3

Whats at Carne Village that everyone is coming to it? Love Lord Ains inner comments and such. Hes such a kind Overlord considering his undead appearance. This continues to remind folks that appearance isnt everything.

Undead Knight is brutal.
CKcv_TuVAAASykM.png

Saudades

Looks like a less interesting version of Devil Survivor. As in without the Survivor. Still need more to see what the rules of this thing is, but yeah, not hyped.
that's the movie you should watch yearly when it's christmas.

check out Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress if you haven't already.
I watched Tokyo Godfather the first time on Christmas (or New Year, can't remember). Good times.
And yeah, watch everything Satoshi Kon, including Magnetic Rose (still counts!) and his Ani-Kuri "Ohayo" short.

Bwahahah, will 100% watch this. Praying for Merlin and Napoleon to appear.

Charlotte any good? Don't really want to waste my time if it's boring.

Depends on what you call boring, why not give it a go and check for yourself.
The director said that the first six episodes are going to be slow paced but it should pick up later on.

The first half of episode 1 isn't a good representation of the show btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom