• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Shipping infesting good shows like Mushishi...smh. Keep the imaginary relationships to Kyoani shows please.

Are you implying that Hyouka is not a good show ?

Naruto Shippuden 420

Absolutely disgusting. Fuck the Last and fuck that second movie too for hogging all the money and animators.

Pierrot fucking ruined the one last decent moment left in this story.

Ore Monogatari!! 16

10/10. Amazing episode.

Man, I apparently now get questionably angry anytime I see screenshots of this show. Glad I bailed relatively early as I seriously couldn't take another 'funny' shot of Takeo blushing or seeing baked goods being eaten. What an absurdly repetitive anime, although I suppose those capable of enjoying 1% merit 99% fluff with nice direction and visuals would like it.

jgminto

Man, I apparently now get questionably angry anytime I see screenshots of this show. Glad I bailed relatively early as I seriously couldn't take another 'funny' shot of Takeo blushing or seeing backed goods being eaten. What an absurdly repetitive anime, although I suppose those capable of enjoying 1% merit 99% fluff with nice direction and visuals would like it.

That's a pretty small part of the show as it goes on.

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari! ep.1-3
Ok, so I couldn't keep up with this one during the winter season, but I've heard really good things constantly so I thought I'd take a look. So far the first few episodes are very cute and fun to watch. Takeo is such a big lovable goof and Suna is a great wingman. Yamada has a good personality so far as well. Do they keep up this bromance/romance balance through the rest of the season?

Gbraga

Alright, about some of the stuff I've watched yesterday:

Gangsta 4

Another great exposition episode. And just when I was starting to miss the action, they offer us this great setup against another A/0 tag, I hope they used those two slow episodes to save budget for some beautiful action animation for Episode 5 :p

Not to say I wasn't enjoying the exposition, oh no, on the contrary, yet again I'm impressed by how well they handle their world and characters. Way too many anime rely on a half minute monologue on Episode 1 and expect you to know everything by heart for the rest of the show, they just dump all of the universe on you and move on with the story, but Gangsta doses exposition perfectly in its pacing, always making it fit the universe, it nevers removes you from the setting to tell you the story. It used Alex in episodes 2 and 3 as the outsider trying to put things together, and now, for this episode, it uses Worrick's memory.

First things first, I was very happy with Alex's part in this episode. It was quite little, and not that important to the rest of the episode, but just the fact that they showed they still plan on exploring her character in more depth already have me excited, she won't be just their trophy, but in fact a main character, and I'm glad for that.

Moving on with the main thing, I loooved Worrick's eidetic memory (hyperthymesia?), the moment he did the eye thing to identify the bodies, I was expecting some supernatural bullshit where he would just know because reasons, but it was actually a very fine way of doing it. He had no idea who the dude with the tattoo was, but he could identify the artist (if I'm recalling correctly :p), which was already a huge clue for the police do to their thing and easily identify the dead guy. He could just say "he has photographic memory and remembers everyone", and I'd be able to deal with that, but they went one step further and actually made it believable and grounded. Much like Nico's deafness. I'm really enjoying the particularities of each character in this show, because they make it all so natural with the sign language and whatnot, that those things make them more interesting, instead of just feeling just like "every character has their thing". I wonder how the whole Wanted angle works, though. I first assumed Chad contacted them off the books, and, while that's still true, the chatter outside the interrogation rooms made it seem like bringing them there was somewhat usual, and no one expected those wanted criminals to stay in jail, so their cooperation must not be as hidden as I first assumed. Which makes me question why are they still considered wanted, with posters inside the P.D.

Anyway, then comes the exposition, that is handled so well and in such a laid back way that it's hard for me not to be enthralled by it. I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence, since flashbacks are such a common way of handling backstories, but I hope it wasn't a coincidence that the first time we get full blown flashbacks about their past it's just after we get to know Worrick has a perfect memory, and all of the scenes are scenes involving him, that he himself is remembering while sitting there. All we got before were flashes here and there, but we get a perfect flashback from the person with perfect memory. I'd very much like it if it was intentional to be that way. Another thing that isn't really innovative or anything like that, but was yet another great use of in-universe lore exposition were the classes, presenting the show's universe through history books using scenes that further helped develop Worrick's character was very smart. I've seen many shows doing this, but it's usually as far as they go, here it's just yet another element of building Ergastulum and the Twilights' mythology. Worrick and Nico had some really nice scenes during those flashbacks, like Nico returning the book, that was so sweet. I was a bit disappointed he was already a master of reading lips at that age, though, I was hoping it was a more refined process, though it did seem like his speech and sign language weren't anywhere near as good as they are in his current age. Nico and Worrick were also bruised, maybe Worrick's perfect family is abusive, and the reason Nico ended up killing them, and even knowing this Worrick stayed with him? We'll see.

Another thing I loved was that new dude's design, the brat has some style, I have to say, we'll finally see what a fight between two A/0s is like, can't wait! My money is on Nico, obviously, though I guess they could have him losing but still living. The lil dude's design seems way too elaborate to only last one episode.

If you're not clicking my spoiler tag because you still didn't watch Gangsta, what's wrong with you? Go watch Gangsta.

Ore Monogatari!! 16

That was the cutest! Saijou-san is amazing, toe to toe with Suna-san for best girl.
I was so nervous after the confession and Yamato saying they can't be friends that they would just kill her off, because she's such a nice character, and Takeo deserves more people who love him, even if only as friends, so it was a huge relief when she talked to him normally the next day, and Suna saying Takeo didn't want to lose their friendship. And I hope she and Yamato can go back to being friends too, they were too cute together.

It was also a surprisingly funny episode, given the themes, the best "suki da" of the show so far, Takeo is amazing <3

Himouto! Umaru-chan

the fuck? lmao

New character is insane, but I'm not fond of the whole imouto bullshit, hopefully it won't last too long, ruined what could be a much bigger game changer. Oh well, still the most adorable thing in the world, Umarun is the best TT_TT

By the way, about Prison School, I've read a bit of the manga, and you guys were right about it getting much better. In fact, it gets better just after where episode 2 ended. Though unfortunately you guys were also right about the censorship being way too much. As far as it got, it's just a "want fanservice? buy the blu-ray" kind of censorship, but later on so many of the jokes rely on sexuality, that this kind of aggressive censorship can ruin many scenes. Some of them will just have to either be fully removed/reworked or they'll expect people to laugh at a white screen. I guess I'll just stick with the manga.

Ore Monogatari! ep.1-3
Ok, so I couldn't keep up with this one during the winter season, but I've heard really good things constantly so I thought I'd take a look. So far the first few episodes are very cute and fun to watch. Takeo is such a big lovable goof and Suna is a great wingman. Yamada has a good personality so far as well. Do they keep up this bromance/romance balance through the rest of the season?

Yes, they do!

Episode 3 had me in tears. Suna best bro.

To love ru Darkness 2nd - 03

Friendship is serious business.

To%20LOVE-Ru%20Darkness%202nd%20-%2003.jpg

Of course , mea is a great character , who could hate someone like that

As for the rest of the episode , it was alright.rito hability to get into trouble is god-tier

Cornbread78

Full Moon Wo Sagashite ep. 37-41:
As I'm closing in on the final stretch, why is it I can't watch this and have any kind of happy thoughts, in fact, it's like fighting back sad emotions and tears constantly. I mean, you know it's coming and it's always in the back of your mind, but nothing has happened yet... The music is a swirl of emotions in itself, and I knew that was going to be the case for her love.... man, so sad.... uughhh
I'm not sure if I can finish this today, but I'll have to watch something as funny as B-Gata to balance out the rush of emotions you get from watching this, For anyone that knows, is there a place to stop going forward? I know Arcy mentioned something to me on Twitter, but I can't find the message, is there a safe resting point?

Also, I need a really good comedy to watch, if D-Frag any good?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ore Monogatari 16
Best conclusion. Takeo response to Saijou is the best, so is Suna handling Saijou after the whole confession (lol, two box of tissues? Suna too good)

Himouto Umaru-chan 3

Kirin face is lol worthy. So is Umaru pretending to be Komaru. Still the cutest show for this season

cajunator

Banned
From what I've seen so far it's more of a magical girl show. It has transformation scenes and in order to use their powers they must constantly sing. Although the home base being in constant contact with the symphogear girls is a little like a mecha show, it's more or less magical girl combat.

Thanks.

Symphogear is :
-60% magical girls
-15% singing
-3% drama ( drama between heroines + people with nonames dying left and right)
-3% mecha transformation
-14% cool fighting ( because fighting style style is better )
-5% Sdburton paradise

Yeah that probably it.

Sounds like my kinda show guys. I appreciate it.

Food Wars saved anime for me.

This week's episode was clearly just setting up the next arc, but dammit, I want more.

Food Wars ended up being as good as people were promising it to be. Im very impressed with how enjoyable it is.

Umm yeah...

The problem with this one is that it's a SoL anime, that's it (pretty good one too). I was just expecting something a little different.

I don't need characters stripping down and makin' bacon to appreciate the anime. What I appreciate is good character and relationship development, including "the chase" to get there, and everything along the way; the good and bad. With Nodame Cantabile, the relationship between Chiaki and Megumi was always there, but never developed or focused on and there was no "romance." Maybe that changes in the Paris episodes and beyond, so we'll see.

I missed this when I started posting, but yeah, this is what I was looking for and appreciate.

The thing I dont understand really is how you always talk about how much you like romance and relationships but you latched onto SAO which is basically puppy love and lust at best. I didnt ever get a sense of a romance there or even a serious couple. There was rape though. and lots of damsels in distress.

I'll probably write a bit more about what I watched tomorrow morning, but let me just say that Umaru-chan's post credits scene was the most hilarious thing I've watched in a long time.

HGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNN SHE'S SO ADORABLE

I like Umaru better when she is just adorable as opposed to a self entitled brat but she kind of earns the right because she is otherwise an upstanding person.

That's what I've been doing as well. I'm currently rereading the manga and I've to say it's definitely worth rereading as you end up catching some details you wouldn't get on the first run. I have to say I really love the atmosphere of the series, it has that Lovecraftian vibe.

As for the anime it was pretty damn good with the exception of the filler. It got really good after episode 50. Seriously though this year has been really great with D-Gray Man and Berserk returning. I'd be even more excited if a D-Gray Man anime continuation was announced but I doubt that will happen.

Short hair Lenalee is the miracle of the universe even if some prefer twintail Lenalee.

Hmmm. Noted.
I do like green haired girls!

may god have mercy on our souls. Though Monster Girls surprisngly hasn't ruined the thread, so there's hope.

Considering this was supposed to be the season of sexual apocalypse here it has been remarkably subdued.

phaze

It's pretty great, surprisingly so. Should be a safe pick. You might also want to check out Love Lab if you haven't yet.

Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold 08

myreactiontoakunohanaewu4q.gif

As shit as this show is, I'll give it props for pacing. 2 major fights done from beginning to an end would take at least 6 episodes in OG series.

Gbraga

I like Umaru better when she is just adorable as opposed to a self entitled brat but she kind of earns the right because she is otherwise an upstanding person.

But she's the cutest self entitled brat in the world, I love it when she's acting like a spoiled child :')

Full Moon Wo Sagashite ep. 37-41:
As I'm closing in on the final, why is it I can't watch this and have any kind of happy thoughts, in fact, it's like fighting back sad emotions and tears constantly. I mean, you know it's coming constantly and it's always int he back of your mind... The music is a swirl of emotions in itself, and I knew that was going to be the case for her love.... man, so sad.... uughhh
I'm not sure if I can finish this today, but I'll have to watch something as funny as B-Gata to balance out the rush of emotions you get from watching this, For anyone that knows, is there a place to stop going forward? I know Arcy mentioned something to me on Twitter, but I can't find the message, is there a safe resting point?

Don't lose hope , full moon wo sagashite is a journey , but one you'll be glad to have made.

Also , yeah D-frag is a good comedy

Cornbread78

It's pretty great, surprisingly so. Should be a safe pick. You might also want to check out Love Lab if you haven't yet.

good deal, TY

Thanks.
The thing I dont understand really is how you always talk about how much you like romance and relationships but you latched onto SAO which is basically puppy love and lust at best. I didnt ever get a sense of a romance there or even a serious couple. There was rape though. and lots of damsels in distress.

I guess I'll never be able to properly portray my feelings for that anime. It was my first, that's just about the only way to describe it. But it had so many of the elements that I can appreciate in a story. I cane into it without any knowledge of anime tropes outside of the normal ignorant view of the "loli" factor involved with anime, so I watched it with a much different set of eyes than you all did. That's the only way I can describe it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And Holy $hit at episode 42 of Full Moon Wo Sagashite.... I just can't, wow.. I just, oh man, wow.. Tears your heart out and throws it into a blender.... That closing scene, the imagery, eternal snow in the background.. My goodness... I need a cigarette now... *snif* this is just going to get worse...

tumblr_n0rxjwYo5W1r03fqto1_500.gif

I called this... I'm done for today, I'll watch the final 10 tomorrow...

Mandelbo

Yes, it's quite unique and while it took a while to grow on me, I ended up finding it very entertaining. Give it a try!

Also, question about Full Moon: there're 51 episodes, and you said that she has a year to live. Does each episode cover one week of her life? That'd be cool.

Gbraga

Don't know anything about this but that PV looks pretty good. Well, not like I have any idea what was said, though.

Wow, this looks great! I should rewatch Ergo Proxy as soon as possible. My memory of it is quite fuzzy due to the statues bit getting really close to put me to sleep.

cajunator

Banned
good deal, TY

I guess I'll never be able to properly portray my feelings for that anime. It was my first, that's just about the only way to describe it. But it had so many of the elements that I can appreciate in a story. I cane into it without any knowledge of anime tropes outside of the normal ignorant view of the "loli" factor involved with anime, so I watched it with a much different set of eyes than you all did. That's the only way I can describe it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And Holy $hit at episode 42 of Full Moon Wo Sagashite.... I just can't, wow.. I just, oh man, wow.. Tears your heart out and throws it into a blender.... That closing scene, the imagery, eternal snow in the background.. My goodness... I need a cigarette now... *snif* this is just going to get worse...

tumblr_n0rxjwYo5W1r03fqto1_500.gif

I called this... I'm done for today, I'll watch the final 10 tomorrow...

And there it is. I didnt want to spoil it but knowing you were on the cusp of THAT episode. All I can say is hang in there. DFrag is an EXCELLENT distraction too.
Roka is unbelievably adorable!

Cornbread78

Yes, it's quite unique and while it took a while to grow on me, I ended up finding it very entertaining. Give it a try!

Also, question about Full Moon: there're 51 episodes, and you said that she has a year to live. Does each episode cover one week of her life? That'd be cool.

Not really. I mean, much of the first 30 or so episodes are very SoL type stuff as she developes her music career. There are some sad and/or touching moments involved in her day to day life, but there is also reminders of her ultimate fate mixed in in a fluffy way. I just now hit the really REALLY tough stuff, which is why I'm taking a break for the day, so I can make sure I can marathon the rest of this tomorrow.. You can only take so much sadness and despair for one day, lol. It feels like when I was watching After Story right now and took that break right before you marathon ethrough the last 9-10 episodes.

Which reminds me, you REALLY need to go watch Clannad After Story if this is your kind of thing..

And there it is. I didnt want to spoil it but knowing you were on the cusp of THAT episode. All I can say is hang in there. DFrag is an EXCELLENT distraction too.
Roka is unbelievably adorable!

That was bad, I mean, I had a feeling that was going to be the case, but the imagery and presentation of the whole scene was both amazing, as well as, ultimately depressing and sad at the same time. I just needed to stop there and I'll finish the last 10 episodes tomorrow in 1 run. That was I will have plenty of time to recover. I just need to find something really funny to watch to change my mood. I mean B-Gata or Sabagebu kinda funny distration...

Oh, what is Roka?

phaze

If we would discuss Archer here instead of bad anime, imagine how it would improve the thread!

I wouldn't know as I haven't seen a single episode. ;p

Don't know anything about this but that PV looks pretty good. Well, not like I have any idea what was said, though.

I skipped the rather crucial fact that it's a movie, apparently. Based on the novel by Project Itoh. (pseudonym)

From Mal:
The war on terror exploded, literally, the day Sarajevo was destroyed by a homemade nuclear device. The leading democracies transformed into total surveillance states, and the developing world has drowned under a wave of genocides. The mysterious American John Paul seems to be behind the collapse of the world system, and it's up to intelligence agent Clavis Shepherd to track John Paul across the wreckage of civilizations and to find the true heart of darkness—a genocidal organ.

Wow, this looks great! I should rewatch Ergo Proxy as soon as possible. My memory of it is quite fuzzy due to the statues bit getting really close to put me to sleep.

Perhaps that was their entire Raison d'etre !

Oh, what is Roka?

She is a character from D-Frag.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
School Live! Episode 3:

So this episode we learn more about the day, that horrible day when the madness began as the blanks in the backstory are being filled in as we also learn about the purple haired teacher Megumi Sakura.
I am pretty sure this person called Megumi no long exists in the present time, she was suspect last episode and more hints were dropped this episode. The tent for four and the reaction of the other girls suggest they are once again indulging in the delusions of Yuki. I do have to wonder how much time has passed and indeed how much time they have left.

John Blade

One thing I like in this episode is not the fight scene but the entire concert scene in the beginning. The mix of CG and animation look great and beautiful. Same the music they use in the scene.

For the story, you found out a bit more about Myung past and how she tries to let it go but can't between Isamu and Guld. This become an important as she was almost got kill in this episode from an incident and Guld manage to save her. She just literally let it all out because of it.

The rivalry between Guld and Isamu is strong in this episode to the boiling point where they duke it out near the end of this episode with they aircraft battle. I guess the incident with Guld and Myung push it over that they have to literally let it out stream.

One of the major thing you saw is the Sharon AI wasn't actually what it was. It wasn't really complete and because of that, Myung have to control the AI for the entire concert. But this isn't true as you notice that the AI have the ability to control anything based on command and you see this when it try to kill Myung all because she say she to get away from all the past and disappear after having a bad incident with her old friend about the past. I guess, this will become an important later on of the OVA.

Overall, liking it so far and want to found out what will happened next.

phaze

Start doing it. Way better comedy than most anime comedies :p

I still have last season of community to go through before I can think of other shows. -_-

Blade and Soul 4
Alka gives no fucks even when she ruins lives of two orphans that saved and took care of her.

To bad she will in all likelihood lose her attitude due to predictable and heavily telegraphed character arc.

Blade and Soul 5

Quality was strong with this one. Add to that lolworthy story with hilariously righteous character and very crudely applied edges and it's easily the worst outing of the series so far.

KanameYuuki

School Live! Episode 3:

So this episode we learn more about the day, that horrible day when the madness began as the blanks in the backstory are being filled in as we also learn about the purple haired teacher Megumi Sakura.
I am pretty sure this person called Megumi no long exists in the present time, she was suspect last episode and more hints were dropped this episode. The tent for four and the reaction of the other girls suggest they are once again indulging in the delusions of Yuki. I do have to wonder how much time has passed and indeed how much time they have left.

Yeah it really looks that way, they all seem to talk/react to Megu only after Yuki tells them something that she did or brings her to the conversation. I hope we get some info about the zombies are only outside while there is sun.

JulianImp

I decided to watch School-Live! up on a whim without even looking up the plot, and damn, I'm really glad I did. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, with the only condition that they shouldn't drop it mid-episode.

It seems like manga readers are eager to spoil stuff for anime readers in some parts of the internet, though, so I'd advise discretion when going around stuff related to the show.

Now, onto anime spoiler discussion:
The EP1 twist really got me, and it's interesting to see a show that focuses on showing us the world through the eyes of a girl that has probably lost her sanity completely in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. I rewatched the episode today and I managed to see all the hints leading up to the reveal this time, including Sakura-sensei's ribbon being tied to a cross on the rooftop after the shovel girl and the other one are left alone.

The second and third episodes show without a doubt that the teacher is already dead in the present time, and that the rest of the cast is putting up with the protagonist's delusions to help her cope with the apocalypse. What unsettles me the most is the ending, though, since it shows the protagonist waking up and smiling at her three friends, but then it changes the scene's angle and reveals that there's nobody in front of her. I guess this means could get really, really dark with the implications of the protagonist being all alone in the end but still interacting with her now gone friends in her delusions.

This show is definitely on my must-watch list for this season, and it's cool that I've found a couple other decent ones as well in Charlotte and Classroom Crisis on top of the latest season of Durarara.

I still have last season of community to go through before I can think of other shows. -_-

Blade and Soul 4
Alka gives no fucks even when she ruins lives of two orphans that saved and took care of her.

To bad she will in all likelihood lose her attitude due to predictable and heavily telegraphed character arc.

Blade and Soul 5

Quality was strong with this one. Add to that lolworthy story with hilariously righteous character and very crudely applied edges and it's easily the worst outing of the series so far.

i'm now convinced you're watching these for the same reason i did , in order to see just just how deep t(he stupidity and the facepalm will go.

And yeah alka give no fucks , no emotions, remember ?

If you want to see people lives ruined left and right , yeah blade and soul delivers on all sides.

I skipped the rather crucial fact that it's a movie, apparently. Based on the novel by Project Itoh. (pseudonym)

From Mal:

Oh well, as a movie it would probably at least uphold the visuals. Premise doesn't sound so great though.

Still not sure if they mean "genocidal organ" literally or not. If they do...that sounds hella dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom