• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I'm pretty sure they do even that. I mean that ending wasn't exactly subtle.

This is outrageous. How can you not tell Chiaki is into Nodame? Do they have to spell it out for you?

They didn't make it obvious at all that he felt sonething for her in a "romantic" way. Yes, he took care of her by cooking and cleaning (her and her apt.) but he continually denied all of her advances and denied her as a "girlfriend" to everyone. Only in the last couple episodes as he figured out she was the one that cured him and he recognized how hard she was working that you could see a noticable change in his feelings towards her. The only physical advance in the entire show by him showing acceptance was that last scene.

Don't get me wrong, as a SoL, this show was excellent, however, as a "romance" it's not great at all since that is not the focus of the show. Their relationship was always there, but the development of it was not something they wanted to highlight.

They didn't make it obvious at all that he felt sonething for her in a "romantic" way. Yes, he took care of her by cooking and cleaning (her and her apt.) but he continually denied all of her advances and denied her as a "girlfriend" to everyone. Only in the last couple episodes as he figured out she was the one that cured him and he recognized how hard she was working that you could see a noticable change in his feelings towards her. The only physical advance in the entire show by him showing acceptance was that last scene.

Don't get me wrong, as a SoL, this show was excellent, however, as a "romance" it's not great at all since that is not the focus of the show. Their relationship was always there, but the development of it was not something they wanted to highlight.

The relationship between Chiaki and Nodame is the focus of the entire show. Development is more than just a kiss scene. Saying that Nodame Cantabile doesn't place a large focus on romance is honestly just a bizarre read of the series.

Hyouka - 7

Well it's not a LN anime adaptation about kids in high-school if there isn't an episode where the crew goes to a hot-spring isn't it?

Episode was all right. I'm glad the next arc starts next episode though. I want to see a bigger mystery being solved again.

Cornbread78

The relationship between Chiaki and Nodame is the focus of the entire show. Development is more than just a kiss scene. Saying that Nodame Cantabile doesn't place a large focus on romance is honestly just a bizarre read of the series.

I don't know man, taking to final few episodes out of the equation, how was Chiaki's affection change towards her from ep.2-20? Yes, there was subtle hints throughout, I mean, that scene at his uncle's place was beautiful, however, verbally he only ever compliments or talks about her piano ability. Even in the final scene
with Chiaki and her father, he just says he loves her piano playing, but her father days it's her...
which is it? They could have acknowledged his true feelings once, but they did not.

Even when Nodame and Chiaki were discussing why
hypnosis wouldn't work on him, but if it did, it would "remove his fear of flying" and "unlock his heart"
There was that small progression at the end, but just not WHAT I was expecting..

The direction of the show to me was to focus on their individual growth and where they wanted to go in life/music. The show does a great job developing not just Chiaki and Nodame, but Mine and other supports including Sensei paper-fan.

Don't blame them Gintama's supposed ending was a troll. I mean they literally made a movie that said The Final Chapter in the title, which made it seem like no more Gintama anime.

As for Tokyo Ghoul the ending in the manga was a complete mindfuck if I ever saw one.
The MC gets both of his eyes stabbed out and then you end up seeing a fucking briefcase.

Gintama 213

CKpZAeaUcAAMmbt.png:large
CKpZBTpUYAAvp68.png:large
CKpZBLaUAAAucIs.png:large

I always knew Otae was the secret strongest character but if she actually replaces of of the Devas like I jokingly thought she would 100 episodes ago I will cry from laughing

Kind of disappointed the fight between Pirako and Shinpachi and Kagura and the Okama Guy ended in about twenty seconds.

I find it hilarious that a bunch of one-off characters, Madao and Otae came to help Odd Jobs and not like, the Shinsengumi or Sa-chan or anyone who can actually fight. Katsura is probably on standby.

In case yall are worried, yes I live in Lafayette where the shootings happened at the theater. No I wasnt there. Im ok.

I am glad you're safe.

javac

Cat Soup is a 2001 multi award-winning OVA by J.C.Staff and is directed by Tatsuo Sato and with a run-time of 34 minutes it’s pretty much one of the most psychedelic, strange and hallucinatory things that I’ve seen in the medium and I thoroughly enjoyed its company. Cat Soup revolves around a family of cats, in particular the main character, a kitten named Nyatta and his older sister, Nyako. The film starts off with Nyako passing away, and as her soul is being taken, her brother manages to retrieve half of it and returns it to her and she is resurrected, although brain-dead. The rest of the short as far as I’m aware is all about Nyatta going on a quest to retrieve the other half and bring his sister back to the way she was. What follows can only be explained as dreamlike in every sense of the word. Each scene is strung together by a sequence of bizarre events married with camera angles that distort the scenery and brings everything to life. The whole OVA reminded me a lot of one that I previously reviewed, Neo Tokyo or the Labyrinth labyrinthos short in particular. Both are dreamlike, surreal and engrossing as you fight to absorb it all in order to fully understand the meaning behind everything. But like many of the best works out there, maybe the truth is that there is no one true meaning behind the events that occur and they take place simply because they look interesting? Even so I truly do believe that even if that was the case, something has to be going on within the minds of the creators when conjuring up such vivid imagery.

Masaaki Yuasa of Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong and Mind Game fame is known for displaying a unique pallet of animation, much of which takes inspiration from western animation and Cat Soup especially resembles such European avant-garde films in both style and storytelling, meaning that it’s very experimental and abstract. I have to admit that this style of film-making is something that I both respect and admire so it was clear from the start that this was going to appeal to me, but even so I went in cold and unaware of what Cat Soup had in store for me, so it’s of course a delightful surprise that this short but sweet OVA delivered exactly that. Like many experimental films, audio plays an important role here, but as you can imagine that doesn’t mean that there’s a lot of it but that what is there is utilized appropriately. Instead of treating each element as a commodity, color, screen estate and sound are all used accordingly and not abundantly. If the goal is to foster a more intimate and active relationship with the viewer then Cat Soup succeeds here with flying colors. Not only are you pulled into the world but you actively want to know more about it and the intricacies. Cat Soup is constantly interesting to watch and full of imagery that keeps you interested and more importantly engaged which is the main thing here, because if a 34 minute OVA with basically no dialogue fails to capture your attention and keep the audience interested then it obviously has failed to do its job and goes to show the power of art and images.

As mentioned previously, audio is important here, and a vast majority of it is ambient sounds. The sounds of waves crashing against each other is both loud and powerful, the sounds of the winds brushing the trees is calm and soothing, the sounds of cicada singing, lots of sounds are utilized in order to create atmosphere. The music itself is what I’d call appropriate, as in its nothing remarkable but used well in order to supplement each scene. The music is still really nice and is composed by Hiroshi Ogasawara. I’m not going to be hunting out the soundtrack for this one but it’s still great to listen to and they did a great job in regards to the audio department here.

The animation here is without a doubt the main attraction, and it delivers on all accounts. The visuals are creative and eye-catching and a lot of perspective shifts from the viewers and the characters perspective are utilized to great effect in order to give the animation a certain flow. From exaggerated motion to all sorts of shots the frame is always interesting and eventful. Both psychedelic and hallucinatory every object that looks familiar acts and is manipulated in unfamiliar ways which definitely adds a sense of wonder to everything. “I wonder what’s going to happen next!” Hatching and various other animation techniques are used in order to give facial expressions an extra depth and layer. Every scene looks different and interesting and keeps you engaged throughout. Now although the cats look cute, Cat Soup contains imagery that’s very vivid to say the least. A woman is chopped up into pieces and put back together again by a God like character; the cat opens up a pig like a sack and removes a piece of its meat (loin) before cooking it in front of the anthropomorphic pig as it watches curiously before it eats a bit of itself happily. One scene in particular give me Hansel and Gretel vibes as a man lures the two cats into his house which is filled with all sorts of grotesque portraits of people being dissected hanging, feeds them and then lures them into a boiling stew (a literal Cat Soup) only to return in bondage gear, huge shears in hand ready to cut their heads off only to trip and fall into the stew himself as the kittens slowly but casually climb out and use said shears to cut the man up himself before leaving in a scene that reminds me of Courage the Cowardly Dog in visuals and style but crazy in content just as the rest of Cat Soup and although there’s many other crazy scenes I could talk about, it’s hard not to at least acknowledge the scene that shows the world in reverse as it depicts all sorts of scenes like people being executed…reversed…yeah it’s a strange one all right.

Really, Cat Soup is bizarre, strange and interesting to watch. The director himself has often stated that a lot of what transpires in Cat Soup is just purely random with no meaning whatsoever, but what I love about these types of works is how open they are to interpretation. Everyone has something to say about Cat Soup and a lot of theories can be conjured up for this film. In any case I implore you to come up with your own interpretation of this peculiar and very strange OVA of a cute cat venturing out into a bizarre world in order to retrieve the soul of his sister. Adorned in great, stylish and eye-catching visuals and at 34 minutes you’ll see some of the most vivid and interesting imagery in the medium, with many of it looking as if it arrived from a different part of the world all together. Some people see films and shows that are vague as pointless but I think that the joy comes from the journey that the viewer has and the meanings that you gather from your viewing is far from pointless.
Overall: 8/10

Story: 7
Animation: 9
Sound: 7
Character: 6
Enjoyment: 9

Recommended if you liked: Mind Game, Neo Tokyo, Robot Carnival, Genius Party, The Diary of Tortov Roddle.
And if you like this, watch the above.

javac

Cat Soup is one of my favorite mindscrews.

I'm glad that you've seen it and most importantly like it, you've watched a lot haha, often I watch something only to hear you giving it your thumbs up, you're definitely a dark horse :D

Also, just thought that I'd mention since I just read the above, glad that your okay :)

cajunator

Banned
I'm glad that you've seen it and most importantly like it, you've watched a lot haha, often I watch something only to hear you giving it your thumbs up, you're definitely a dark horse :D

Also, just thought that I'd mention since I just read the above, glad that your okay :)

Ive seen a pretty large amount of anime. I got really into it and never slowed down.

cj_iwakura

Robotics;Notes 12-13

Well, this is going to dark places.

I have to say being able to actually play Gunvarrel in the VN is worth the price of admission. Amazing 3D visuals, too. The integration of the tablet into the gameplay is wondrous.

javac

Ive seen a pretty large amount of anime. I got really into it and never slowed down.

Haha I can't do that myself, sometimes I look at the pile I have in front of me and get a sense of urgency to watch them all, just jump in head first...and then I pull myself back. One at a time, slowly but surely.

Gintama 215

It's weird that outside of the goofy samurai adventures in Edo, Space Battleship Yamato is happening in space. With these two teaming up, just need a Shinpachi villain for the full combo. But that probably won't happen, does Shinpachi even have any enemies?

Gintama 215

It's weird that outside of the goofy samurai adventures in Edo, Space Battleship Yamato is happening in space. With these two teaming up, just need a Shinpachi villain for the full combo. But that probably won't happen, does Shinpachi even have any enemies?

any character wearing glasses is shinpachi ennemy .

javac

Anime Limited have 5-6 announcements to make for MCM Manchester this weekend at their panel on Saturday 25th July at 11:00am.

Sterok

Aikatsu 17

Wait, Ichigo's mom is the headmistress's long lost partner? I figured she was a former idol, but that is some serious bs. And it also explains Ichigo's natural talent despite her being so new at this. Though even with that talent it does seem ridiculous to send her to do 3 Special Appeals twice in a row when she hasn't done it yet. Ambition is good, but they should know her limits as well. Ichigo definitely gets a massive popularity boost thanks to being on the same stage as Mizuki. Too bad I still don't care about Mizuki. Maybe when she becomes something other than super-perfect idol everyone wants to be. Futuring Girl really is the best brand. Fits everyone while Angely Sugar seemed out of place on Mizuki.

ibyea

Banned
Akagi 4-8
There is a certain level of catharsis in watching Akagi destroy the assholes in the show with his mind games.

Akagi 4-8
There is a certain level of catharsis in watching Akagi destroy the assholes in the show with his mind games.

I'll just warn you now that the final arc of the anime, the Washizu arc, receives no conclusion in the anime, and in fact has been going on in the manga since 1997 with no end in sight. And it's all a single mahjong game. Fukumoto's tendency to drag things out is here taken about as far as it can go.

ibyea

Banned
I'll just warn you now that the final arc of the anime, the Washizu arc, receives no conclusion in the anime, and in fact has been going on in the manga since 1997 with no end in sight. And it's all a single mahjong game. Fukumoto's tendency to drag things out is here taken about as far as it can go.

Are you serious?! D: D: D: D:

Jintor

Umaru03

Kirie has saved the show. Between her amazing facial expressions, her voice acting, the duality switch and the fact she makes Umaru not look like a complete jackass, she has completely turned this around.

I can't believe they actually made her funnier than in the manga. They went to the Can't Believe I'm Not Popular school of patheticute D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom