• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

In case yall are worried, yes I live in Lafayette where the shootings happened at the theater. No I wasnt there. Im ok.

Already posted at you on twitter before I saw the thread this morning, but to reiterate I'm glad you're safe!

So...apparently there's this anime movie about UFO & aliens premiering in October that I heard nothing about until now? What is this?
The PV looks crazy af:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hylM1ivacCA

This looks incredibly stupid. Was that a goat alien? Did they gain the powers of fabulousness in the second half of the trailer?

Non Non Biyori 08

JtbbNzgl.png

Komari is so cute when she tries too hard.

This looks incredibly stupid. Was that a goat alien? Did they gain the powers of fabulousness in the second half of the trailer?

It's really something else, I want to know the reason why they're flying on a dragon, how is that even related to aliens in any way!

Lain

Arslan Senki 1-13

Pretty good so far. Arslan isn't the greatest character around, but he has likable points to him and has around him some great people, from badasses like Daryun to suave dudes like Narses. I like Farangis a lot too and Giv has its charm points, while Elam is dependable.
Some things about the plot anger me somewhat but heh, overall I'm really enjoying the story.
Also some of the closing illustrations are damn good. I loved the Seo Koji one at the end of episode 3.

Looks like we got a couple non-believers here that not even El Cantare would forgive.

I'll believe in any god that gives me golden clothes and a motherfucking dragon.

Hail El Cantare, Hail Okawa

I read the Wikipedia article, It seems that this whole cult isn't even related to aliens in any way, it's just about being happy.

Narag

I'll believe in any god that gives me golden clothes and a motherfucking dragon.

Hail El Cantare, Hail Okawa

I read the Wikipedia article, It seems that this whole cult isn't even related to aliens in any way, it's just about being happy.

No, it's pretty fucked up. Laws of the Sun is like high level cult shit that talks about lizardmen aliens and it's meant to be taken seriously. Okawa's kinda crazy too. There was something he put out a few years back where he let him be possessed by the ghosts of still living US presidential candidates to get the real answers we always wanted.

phaze

Eccentric Family 01
D̶r̶o̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶r̶a̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ w̶e̶i̶r̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶ad̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ a̶n̶a̶t̶o̶m̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶m̶b̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶u̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶a̶r̶s̶.̶

A more impressive premiere than I remembered it to be though still nothing that would instantly grab me. Will need a bit of time to get accustomed to these chara designs.

Blade and Soul 06

A more detailed look at the villains of the story with Alka nowhere to be found. Was okay.

Steins;Gate 07-08
007331lsuep.png
0073328fu62.png

Okay, this went way to far to be just a red herring.

Really liked episode 7 that dropped the usual comedic tint and focused on the consequences of time travel and Okabe's weird ability. Though really, some of the changes to the world state seem bit too small compared to what they meddled with.

I think it's high time he realises what all those time travel hijinks mean with respect to the events of episode 1.

Mushishi 21
burnitwithfire63jvn.gif

Mandelbo

No, it's pretty fucked up. Laws of the Sun is like high level cult shit that talks about lizardmen aliens and it's meant to be taken seriously. Okawa's kinda crazy too. There was something he put out a few years back where he let him be possessed by the ghosts of still living US presidential candidates to get the real answers we always wanted.

Is the Happy Science religion in any way related to the Happy Happy cult from Earthbound?

wonzo

Banned
prison school 2

prisonschool2.jpg

charman wasn't as gruff as i'd expected but otherwise this is a great adaptation of a literary masterpiece. moment of truth within the next 2 weeks!!

Lmao that's crazy. Why are they making Anime? Is it just going to be crazy religous propaganda?

Quasar

Berserk: The Egg of the King - Thanks to netflix I've finally gotten my first taste of Berserk. I tend to not be into bloody combat-fests, but this with its quite european flavour was alright for me. The europeanness also meant I was quite happy to watch the dub as US accents on medieval pseudo-europeans is much less jarring than on Japanese school kids.

And it certainly feels right at home with GoT on TV and such.

I guess my annoyance now is that its part of a trilogy of OVAs, and netflix seems to lack both the other chapters. Let me guess...to stream the rest I need a Funimation account?

One thing of interest I guess is the long white haired leader...so very much reminded me of Sion from Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

Saudades

Tomorrow's episode of Prison School is gonna be the shit.
Literally.
Brokeback Prison
is all but confirmed since it's pretty major, but I hope they don't skip the
Hindu squats
. Both of them are just fucking gold.
Preview screenshots of ep 3:

a5vq2pU.jpg

Firemind

I don't know man, taking to final few episodes out of the equation, how was Chiaki's affection change towards her from ep.2-20? Yes, there was subtle hints throughout, I mean, that scene at his uncle's place was beautiful, however, verbally he only ever compliments or talks about her piano ability. Even in the final scene
with Chiaki and her father, he just says he loves her piano playing, but her father days it's her...
which is it? They could have acknowledged his true feelings once, but they did not.

Even when Nodame and Chiaki were discussing why
hypnosis wouldn't work on him, but if it did, it would "remove his fear of flying" and "unlock his heart"
There was that small progression at the end, but just not WHAT I was expecting..

The direction of the show to me was to focus on their individual growth and where they wanted to go in life/music. The show does a great job developing not just Chiaki and Nodame, but Mine and other supports including Sensei paper-fan.
They challenge each other. If it wasn't for Nodame and her improvised (and clumsy) piano playing, Chiaki wouldn't have pursued his dream as a conductor (ep1-5). Similarly, if it wasn't for Chiaki and his influence, Nodame would have stayed on course of being a primary school teacher (ep1-23). A relationship isn't all about lovey-dovey intimacy. It's also about bringing the best out of each other, and help overcome the challenges and struggles that come with it. That is true love.

Nodame Cantabile is a show about two connected people continuously trying to overcome these challenges as they become greater and greater. Like a shounen if you will. In that regard, it's quite unique in the romantic comedy space.

Cornbread78

They challenge each other. If it wasn't for Nodame and her improvised (and clumsy) piano playing, Chiaki wouldn't have pursued his dream as a conductor (ep1-5). Similarly, if it wasn't for Chiaki and his influence, Nodame would have stayed on course of being a primary school teacher (ep1-23). A relationship isn't all about lovey-dovey intimacy. It's also about bringing the best out of each other, and help overcome the challenges and struggles that come with it. That is true love.

Nodame Cantabile is a show about two connected people continuously trying to overcome these challenges as they become greater and greater. Like a shounen if you will. In that regard, it's quite unique in the romantic comedy space.

I agree with everything you said and it is a well derived breakdown of the story, however, I still cannot agree on the romance part.

The moments they play together are beautiful and they play off of one another in an amazing way, but to me, even as you mentioned, it was their own personal growth that had the biggest effect on the story. I do not believe they portrayed a budding love between the two outside of subtle hints as thoughts in Chiaki's mind. Nodame was very open about her feelings from the start, however, even in the end, Chiaki still couldn;t admit his true feelings... I personally needed that littl epush to make me feel as though he is sincere; tell me/show what your true feelings are; maybe a total abstract works for some, but..

Mandelbo

Ninja Nonsense 09

The art style change in the second part was a little jarring. The characters looked too sharp with little changes to their facial expressions, like the accent on their lips and the form of their eyes. Once again, it's still fairly entertaining though!

phaze

Blade and Soul 07

Based Hamasaki delivering on the edgy front. Hilarious.

Eccentric Family 02

Tanuki stew ???? Japan, you absolute monsters.

Enjoyed learning about main protagonist's family dynamics much more compared to master's backstory from the first ep. I should be alright. Really liking the song they use for ED.

Cornbread78

That's what the final episode accomplishes. Chiaki is a true tsundere.

Shinichi Cornbread no baaaaakaaaaaa!

True, very true, he is a tsundere..

Now it's a Irie (Itazura na Kiss) vs. Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile) on who the worst male tsundere MC I'very come across.

I'm lost right now though. Into the final 3 episodes of Full Moon and I'm bracing for it..

Oh, and I'm really happy you weren't involved in the tragedy yesterday Cajun!

Selfishly, I'm gonna need a hug in about an hour!

Seriously, thank goodness.

zulux21

so I figured I would post this here because people would likely be interested.

the Jast USA bundle on groupees is about to have it's preorders go live

Steins;gate is possibly one of the games. My Girlfriend is the President and School Days HQ are confirmed.

link to the bundle

I believe the top tier of the bundle is going to be $20, not sure the price of the preorder or how many games overall there is but I think it was supposed to be 4-5.

edit: I am also reading
My Girlfriend is the President & School Days HQ confirmed, either Yo-Jin-Bo or Steins Gate included, too. --Mordred @ Thu, 23 Jul 2015 20:09:32 GMT

Eccentric Family 02

Tanuki stew ???? Japan, you absolute monsters.

Enjoyed learning about main protagonist's family dynamics much more compared to master's backstory from the first ep. I should be alright. Really liking the song they use for ED.

And the OP? Do you love it already?!? Take it on a date at least! Well the song is that great at least.

Akagi 4-8
There is a certain level of catharsis in watching Akagi destroy the assholes in the show with his mind games.

Akagi is a terrible human being who thinks like a genius serial killer type but the people he destroys are even worse so it works out. And I mean he is an actual genius, compared to Kaiji who wins on luck and taking the pain at least

Cornbread78

Full Moon wo Sagashite ep. 42- END:
14.jpg

First of all, thank you for the rec. Cajun as well as everyone else that cheered along the way. This was a long series and had some lulls along the way, but it is definitely worth it at the end… Now, how do I appropriately react to the last 10 episodes of this; it’s impossible. I mean, it is an incredible experience as they close out the last weeks and days of Mitsuki’s life. It’s a whirlwind of emotions from pain, fear and despair, to hope, friendship and love. Just like the way Eternal Snow is sung differently between Madoka and Full Moon; the same song can mean happiness and sorrow at the same time. It’s used in a tremendous fashion to compliment what is occurring around it; reading the lyrics as the song plays just intensifies the emotional response you can get from it because it always matches the emotions felt at that moment.

That hospital rooftop scene in episode 46 was intense, I mean, like Holy $hit don’t do it you! Stop you piece of $hit, WTF are you doing? NOOOOOOOO! Then Takuto pleading and singing the song, grandma, oh my goodness, so many feels… I hated Izumi, what a piece of crap no good Shinigami.. His sole purpose in the final stretch of the anime was to be the antagonist of everything; the true Shinigami, reaper of souls and reminder of the darkside. His role to bouncing off of Takuto and Meruko was really, really good as much as you hate him and what he stands for.

It is a great story of personal triumph, struggle, hope and love. There is a lot of despair and pain along the way, but the story does a great job of sorting out everyone's emotions by the end if it. The relationship between Mitsuki, Mereko and Takuto at the end was amazing and the way the writer handled those situations between them was great, so many good moments towards the end.. That tall white lady, her words to Takuto and Mereko... *snif*

The ending, what can I say? I can’t say much for spoiler fears, but my goodness was that amazing. Clannad After Story was an amazing conclusion and this one is not too far behind it. (athough admittedly, this one is a little clearer) Tears of sadness or joy? Both at the same time? Emotional for sure. Excellent, Excellent Excellent….

Tenumi

Banned
No screenshots or anything because Imgur is being a pain in the butt right now and errors out all my uploads.

Prisma Illya (Season 1): 1

Well, there's a first for everything. Open rebellion of a weapon from their holder. Can't say I seen that coming. Making the weapon just as much of a character as its user should provide an interesting dynamic, should it continue.

From this first episode I get the impression that this won't exactly be a fun ride for the characters. Illya, forced into this situation as a magical girl, definitely doesn't sound as enthused as at the beginning of the episode, before Ruby, the weapon, showed up.

I figure I should mention that I have NOT watched anything else in or related to the Fate universe.

Prisma Illya (Season 1): 2

Like I thought, not a fun ride. Aside from a little foreshadowing regarding the other weapon, Sapphire, this episode was mostly training and exposition.

At least, that is, until the end, where Sapphire's user shows up and effortlessly defeats the opponent that Illya was about to get destroyed by.

cajunator

Banned
Full Moon wo Sagashite ep. 42- END:
[imghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5V5AaiLybyU/T39HU_5GQUI/AAAAAAAAB1k/BCeIYJ9XHP4/s1600/14.jpg[/img]
First of all, thank you for the rec. Cajun and everyone else that cheered along the way. This was a long series and had some lulls along the way, but it is definitely worth it at the end… No, how do I appropriately react to the last 10 episodes of this; it’s impossible. I mean, it is an incredible experience as they close out the last weeks and days of Mitsuki’s life. It’s a whirlwind of emotions from pain, fear and despair, to hope, friendship and love. Just like the way Eternal Snow is sung differently between Madoka and Full Moon; the same song can mean happiness and sorrow at the same time. It’s used in a tremendous fashion to compliment what is occurring around it; reading the lyrics as the song plays just intensifies the emotional response you can get from it because it always matches the emotions felt at that moment.

That hospital rooftop scene in episode 46 was intense, I mean, like Holy $hit don’t do it you! Stop you piece of $hit, WTF are you doing? Then Takuto pleading and singing the song, grandma, oh my goodness, so many feels… I hated Izumi, what a piece of crap no good Shinigami.. His sole purpose in the final stretch of the anime was to be the antagonist of everything; the true Shinigami, reaper of souls and reminder of the darkside. His role to bouncing off of Takuto and Meruko was really, really good as much as you hate him and what he stands for.

The ending, what can I say? I can’t say much for spoiler fears, but my goodness was that amazing. Clannad After Story was an amazing conclusion and this one is not too far behind it. (athough admittedly, this one is a little clearer) Tears of sadness or joy? Both at the same time? Emotional for sure. Excellent, Excellent Excellent….

Well now you can at last understand why I fell completely in love with this show and recommended it so incredibly highly (and tenaciously)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom