• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I will definately add it to my instant recs in the future alongside Clannad. What an amazing ride. It reminds me a lot of Little Busters, where the journey is good along the way, but the ending blows your mind. Soo soo good!

Fanservice is fine as long as it like what I whitnessed last week int he Daddy show....

Umm, this is where I bounce....

Awesome to hear! Glad you really enjoyed it!

Souma - 16

They are'nt skipping the Karaage arc, yay!!
But know I'm more confused then before, lol. That arc should take 2 episodes, so that leaves them with only 6 episodes for the next one (and with next one I mean
the preliminaries, there is Zero chance there doing the whole election, that would be ridicolously stupid
.) I don't know if that's enough o_O
Buuuut, since they were spot on with every single episode so far, I guess I'll just trust them on that.

On to the episode itself: Great. Like always. We learn why Soumas personality is the way it is and how overpowered his fathers cooking skills are. Apple prince was hilarious. Lot's of Isshiki fanservice and morning-Megumi :)

Still don't like the new ending. I think I'm going to just skip this from now on, can't stand the singing. A shame, I've watched the last one every time :(

Excellent series but yeah that ED is just weak weak weak!

jbug617

Banned
Doubt they will rush it, they've been doing great pacing up to now, dunno why they would fuck it up now. If they stop before the actual tourney, wait a few seasons then come back they could do another 26 episodes.
I think a good spot to stop would probably be the semifinals. That will be around 40 chapters to get to there so I don't know if they can cover that in 7 episodes.

Is Soma only gonna be 24 episodes? Hope it doesn't end with a read the manga style ending.
Yeah it's only 24 episodes according to MAL

Jarmel

Banned
Super hyped for Fall. Garo, One Punch Man, Noragami, and Haikyuu just for starters.

Then wild cards like Concrete Revolutio and Iron Blood Orphans. By wild cards I mean 90% chance they'll be shit but who knows.

OceanBlue

All this Fate Illya hype. I think people need to cool their jets a little. There are other shows this season more deserving of such hype like DRRR X2 and World with no Dirty Jokes.
The "hype" for Illya is exaggerated because bans and the thread being shut down are memes in these threads.

One Punch Man will probably be the first adaptation where the manga has better animation then the anime because the chapters where Murata does the .gif chapters are pretty much just keyframes

Ascheroth

I think a good spot to stop would probably be the semifinals. That will be around 40 chapters to get to there so I don't know if they can cover that in 7 episodes.

Yeah it's only 24 episodes according to MAL

I still think they'll stop right after the preliminaries. Honestly can't see any other stopping point, considering the current pace of the show. Any further and they would have to start rushing things and I can't see them doing that after all those episodes with perfect pacing.

One Punch Man will probably be the first adaptation where the manga has better animation then the anime because the chapters where Murata does the .gif chapters are pretty much just keyframes

I love the one with the robot.

8b07b8e64f63c4c4af5d5d0e24292a24.jpg

The "hype" for Illya is exaggerated because bans and the thread being shut down are memes in these threads.

If that's the case, let's just try not to go overboard with it. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if we're not careful. Would personally prefer not having it at all TBH.

Soma

my dream scenario for One Punch Man would be for it to almost entirely be in ONE's original style then it shifts to Murata's style for the action scenes.

Gangsta 1

This was a rather poor introductory episode, hardly establishing any sort of notable intrigue or worth, excessively reliant, instead, on superficially exploring its “mature” elements. The prominence of older characters is quite refreshing, reminiscent of Black Lagoon in this regard and several others, but the themes that have been focused on so far, rather than complex or insightful, feel farcical in execution. The monotonous pacing that occurred throughout only weakened an already mediocre effort. Altogether rare as they were, the aspects of this episode that impressed were hardly capable of positively affecting the quality of the episode as a whole, resulting in a series that seems devoid of any significant potential.

Nicolas kicking the car and the subsequent reveal of his impaired speech
was one of the few well-executed moments in the episode, strongly depicting him as a comparatively unique character. Kenjiro Suda’s voice work, as such, was quite impressive in capturing the atypical nature of his dialogue. The intermittent allusions to a more complex narrative surrounding the dog tags worn by Nicolas is somewhat intriguing. All other aspects of the story, however, were quite dismal, handled with an absence of subtlety that was detrimental to whatever meaning they might have otherwise conveyed.

Nicolas was, by far, the most compelling character, as he possesses a rather engaging personality and some intriguing characterization. The usage of sign language is a reasonably clever bit of storytelling, immediately illuminating the complexities of his existence. The dynamic between Worick and Nicolas was the most enjoyable aspect of the episode, as their interactions were relatively insightful and amusing. Alex, on the other hand, is a very uninteresting character so far, relegated, at least in this episode, to serve as the damsel in distress and little else. Hopefully she eventually becomes more than a glorified secretary, which, unfortunately, was foreshadowed to be her role in the narrative moving forward.

There is a cheapness within the production values (unsurprising considering Manglobe’s recent efforts) that notably detracts from the show. The animation was passable, but thoroughly unexceptional, and, on occasion, distractingly awkward. Aside from the relative creativity displayed in the OP, the visuals are decidedly unremarkable and often egregiously ugly, further tarnished by an art direction that is seemingly incapable of illustrating even a modicum of color. As such, the muted aesthetic present within the backgrounds is very unappealing. As a result, the city they inhabit appears lifeless and overly monotonous, every street and building effectively mirroring the other. The character designs are refreshingly varied, if not exceedingly so, as the female characters introduced to this point are disappointing in comparison, possessing none of the expressive flourishes that several of the male characters have. Tsutchie’s music was nicely understated, complementing the action within the episode quite well, resulting in what was essentially the only impressive element of the production. The OP, though musically lackluster, is fairly striking, elevated by some interesting visuals and animation. The ED, however, like so many others, is altogether uninspired.

Shukou Murase’s direction was exceedingly stale, absent any sort of stylistic flourishes or energy that would be capable of elevating the material. The little action that existed in this episode was heavily flawed in its construction, each sequence shot in a manner that was dull and unimaginative. The absence of any notable animation weakened these moments even further. To illustrate this point, the storyboarding and direction for the action sequence in the alley was quite dreadful, attempting, it appeared, to capture some sort of tension within the inclusion of odd angles and bizarre transitions. Needless to say, the execution failed spectacularly, instead creating an incoherent and woefully shot mess.

All in all, Gangsta only managed to establish itself as a thoroughly uninteresting bit of tedium, rarely elevating beyond its perpetually mediocre constraints. I had hoped that this episode and the characters as a whole would impress in a similar fashion as Black Lagoon and, to a much lesser extent, Jormungand once did, but the banal execution prevalent throughout didn’t exactly illustrate any sort of significant potential. Of course, some of the flaws this episode possessed could ultimately be meaningless, indicative of nothing more than the difficulties inherent to an introductory episode, but quite a few likely unavoidable ones would still remain, such as the unimpressive production values and a decidedly dull story. Considering how barren this season is, I’ll refrain from dropping this entirely before watching the another episode or two, but I highly doubt I’ll continue reviewing it, unless, of course, it improves dramatically, which I find unlikely.

Taruranto

I signed up for a show about a teacher and his students in a corporate-owned engineering school that gets through heavy restructuring courtesy of executives with hidden agendas.

... What is this?

The ED is pretty jarring too. Looks like it was outsourced to Kyoani.

I honestly don't know what they are doing, I mean I get they are baiting Yuri-fans, but Purple-Inaho and whatsherface are barely characters in the show.

S0rwD7I.jpg

JulianImp

The ED is pretty jarring too. Looks like it was outsourced to Kyoani.

I honestly don't know what they are doing, I mean I get they are baiting Yuri-fans, but Purple-Inaho and whatsherface are barely characters in the show.

Stuff like this makes me wonder how the show was pitched. Is it supposed to be a critique on result-obsessed corporate culture with some extremely light girl-girl shipping on the side (at least from what I've seen so far), or the other way around?

Shokugeki no Soma - 16

This show is so great.

There's so much detail into explaining why one character one over the other in these cook-offs. Nobody wins because OH NO HIS SHOUNEN COOKING POWER LEVEL IS TOO HIGH or OH NO I RAN OUT OF INGREDIENTS. Everybody has a plan, and the amount of detail that goes into them is just so high it's practically impossible to not be impressed. This episode is another great example of that by showing just how better of a cook Joichiro was than Soma.

It's a real shame this show started off the way it did, turning away many viewers.

They don't know what they're missing.

Shokugeki no Soma - 16

This show is so great.

There's so much detail into explaining why one character one over the other in these cook-offs. Nobody wins because OH NO HIS SHOUNEN COOKING POWER LEVEL IS TOO HIGH or OH NO I RAN OUT OF INGREDIENTS. Everybody has a plan, and the amount of detail that goes into them is just so high it's practically impossible to not be impressed. This episode is another great example of that by showing just how better of a cook Joichiro was than Soma.

It's a real shame this show started off the way it did, turning away many viewers.

i mean i have top chef and shit

JulianImp

Just remembered to check out Kekkai Sensen's OST.

The first disc is good but isn't what I liked about the OST, the second disc however is full of amazing stuff like World Goes Round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKfJ5oMiRVI

I've never heard about Kekkai Sensen, but man, this sounds amazing! I guess I'll look it up later.

Shokugeki no Soma - 16

This show is so great.

I agree. I felt really put off with the stupid focus on foodgasms during the first episode, but it's really cool how cook-offs are more a battle of wits than what I expected to see from a shounen series, and it even showed me a couple cool tidbits I could actually use while cooking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if GATE is terrible. It just deals with the real world stuff with the nuance of a teenager who just read Tom Clancy book. It's basically a Japanese version of Stargate SG-1, but instead of space worm Egyptians, it's generic fantasy Europeans. You have your natives who are impressed with generic contemporary weapons, you have your generically nerdy and affable lead (even Colonel O'Neill wanted to name their first starship Enterprise) and your totally generic understanding of politics. lol

I guess it's telling though that I'd more interested in seeing what is happening in the real world, because I can't imagine China not reacting to Japan discovering a new world that would let them potentially obtain a huge tactical advantage in the region. And presumably Chinese politicians get to pull the Asian version of Godwin's law and gently remind everyone about what happened when Japan tried to colonize the region in WW2.

The foodgasms later on are fine and they're an important part of the show. That I understand.

I'm just salty that the first episode has a scene that makes people go: "NOPE. Girl and tentacles. Instant drop."

Tuck

The foodgasms later on are fine and they're an important part of the show. That I understand.

I'm just salty that the first episode has a scene that makes people go: "NOPE. Girl and tentacles. Instant drop."

Yup, I was like this at first, glad I gave it a chance.

Mixed on the foodgasm scenes though. They are an important part and I do like them overall, but they can on occasion get kind of repetitive and overstay their welcome.

Prison School Episode 3

I haven't laughed sooooooooo hard at an Anime in such a long time. That
Shower Scene was Hilarious
. I'm staying on board, for now.

Gangsta Episode 4

I'm more interested in the flashbacks than present scenes,overall I'm still intrigued by this show and I want more.

Show that I'm about to Drop
Rinne- I know it's written by the same lady as Inuyasha but it just feels too much the same of Inuyasha. I'll try to watch a few more episodes but if I'm not enjoying myself I'll just stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom