• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

So I've never heard until Saint Seiya until this season, but apparently its had like a million different anime series? Do I need to watch them all? Are they kind of connected like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

Also, does it have any relation to Ronin Warriors? The premise seems pretty similar, are the series related or are they just in the same genre?

It's a really, really old series, and isn't related to Ronin Warriors at all. The anime's based on the manga, except for some filler arc that was anime only, but still cool.

The show definitely hasn't aged well, though. I remember absurdly long amounts of time spent going up stairs and seeing Hyouga diving to the sunken boat where her mother had died a thounsand times (with the exact same footage, even).

Ushio and Tora 3

I know this is Japan where seeking psychological help is looked down on, and in the 90s no less, but someone that attempts suicide 4 times recently should REALLY not be trusted to be off on their own.

Fun episode otherwise, though the pacing seemed off again. Might have to reread parts of the manga as I feel like important stuff may be glossed over.

phaze

So I've never heard until Saint Seiya until this season, but apparently its had like a million different anime series? Do I need to watch them all? Are they kind of connected like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

You don't need to watch them all. Saint Seiya canon in general is large mess but without delving into manga, it can be divided into 3 separate things that can be watched separately.

Original Saint Seiya (~110 episodes), then to finish manga material about 10 years later Toei did an OVA series Saint Seiya: Hades Chapter Santuary. Saint Seiya: Hades Chapter Inferno and Saint Seiya: Hades Chapter Elysion. Not sure if it is or will be acknowledged as canon but currently airing Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold takes place during the Elysion chapter and to "get it" you'd need to watch the preceding positions on this list.

Saint Seiya Omega is a fairly recently done sequel, set after the events of the original series, with mostly new cast though with a lot of fanservice for older fans too. Especially in the second half a lot of old characters come back and take a more proactive role. You should be okay watching it on your own.

But you shouldn't because it's ~96 episodes of absolute shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas is a prequel to the og series, is not regarded as canon and doesn't require any previous knowledge. Sure some bits, references and callbacks would fly above your head but on the other hand, you will be unspoiled on the outcome which I dare say, will elevate material greatly. The anime is only 26 episodes but it only adapts only the first ~96 chapters of the manga. (out of ~220) If you decide it to give it a shot you will need to go there to finish the story.

Generally speaking, if you want to watch something SS today watch Lost Canvas. As much as my nostalgia goggles would like me to tell you otherwise, Saint Seiya is just not a very good franchise, filled to brink with repetitive scenarios, fights that amount to" get beaten around --->power up through the power friendship/burning your cosmo/"I have to protect Athena !"---> win and poor production values. LC can't quite escape the trappings of the franchise, it's still shounen as hell and it falls into its own patterns too but I dare say it at least tries. Pretty hard. Story and production values wise, it is way, way above and beyond any other outing of the franchise. If you want to give the Saint Seiya a try and leave with your sanity intact, go for Lost Canvas

Link Man

Banned
Yuru Yuri s2e1

So yeah, that was amazing.

C93Efko.gif

Classroom Crisis 04

This show is bad, there's nothing interesting going on. This episode had two "beatdowns", you know, those scenes where someone gets defeated but they were both really, really bad. The "tricks" that they're using aren't really that interesting, they also don't make any sense.

The first scene was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The main character allied himself with the union and had a meeting with the "villian" in order to get more funds.

What happened was that the villian fucking promoted the MC during the meeting, because of this the union couldn't work together with the MC because he was too high ranked. All of this was accompanied by lots of reaction faces and yelling.

This scene could be pretty funny just because it's ridiculous had it not been for the fact that this was supposed to be an emotional moment. Scenes like this is exactly where, in my opinion the show goes wrong.

It tries to be realistic but because of this everything falls flat. Had this show been more like Shokugeki no Soma all of this would've been really enjoyable, they even could've made the whole scene more ridiculous but unfortunately this show "thinks" these situations could actually really happen. It's just stupid. Why can't the MC just refuse the promotion.

The A-TEC guys who left last episode also came back for some reason, even though they literally accepted jobs from other companies, it's just stupid, why did they even leave in the first place.
Obviously because the show wanted to fake a emotional scene

Anyway this show lacks self awareness and any sense of direction, if you don't believe me. Just look at that promotional image someone linked earlier.

Oh, next episode is going to be a
Fucking beach/hotsprings episode

If you read all of this you're probably watching this show, stop watching, really, just stop. Watch Ushio to Tora or something. Actually, anything would be better than watching this. Maybe catch up on Bikini Warriors, even that smut has a better story.

Defuser

Prisma Illya 2wei Herz! ep1

You know something is wrong with UBW when people are more excited for Illya.

SDburton are you ok? Post if you're ok!! The yuri is stronk.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I think he is on hiatus at the moment, so he probably doesn't even know right now.

phaze

Mushishi 22
"To die without wishing for such, may be a priceless joy."

why u so cool, Ginko.
Eccentric Family 03

At this rate, I won't be surprised to see Watashi running around somewhere in the background.
Steins;Gate 09
With D-mails going back 10 or 18 years now,
it's a wonder that Okabe didn't suddenly awaken to a wife and kids he knows nothing about.

Razmos

Symphogear GX episode 4: I love that the show is giving some focus to Maria, Kirika and Shirabe. The almost-rivalry between Hibiki and Maria was a particular highlight of this episode.

Maria questioning her own power was pretty cool too, because as she said, she has only ever used other peoples Symphogears which is something I didn't even consider until it was pointed out. I like Maria a lot more now after this episode.

Hibiki and Miku's friends are getting a lot of extra screentime too, I'm liking them a lot also, the Stroganoff song in the previous episode was awesome as well. I want them ALL to get Symphogears, plz.

I thought this episode was going to end with a big damn kiss between Hibiki and Miku since their subtext is clearly sub- no longer, but the way it ended was more surprising.

Jarmel

Banned
Really wish I could go to that Gainax history panel. They've had so many fuckups that it would be amazing to hear it all recounted.

R.D.Blax

Symphogear GX ep 4

Hibiki and Miku still as gay as ever, and thanks to the power of love, Hibiki get her symphogear back ! To bad Garie and Micha have none of it and wreck her.

Project Ignite look shady as hell, I give 4 episode before it backfire spectacularly.

Lain

Laplace 4

This show keeps its weird direction, with dissonant moments like the return of the coroner, or the meeting with Black Lizard or four eyes getting distracted by Kobayashi's ass.
I still like the show and I liked the episode, but it feels like the direction is going a bit too overboard on the wrong type of weird.
I'm also loving the Italian editing for the Japanese text or character presentation, it feels well done and fitting.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu 4

I wish the pace here was a bit faster and I'd prefer somewhat less stupid drama.

Super excited for today's drops. Really hope Working!!! keeps building up on the progression from last week. As for Shimoneta... I wanna know what's up with Anna lmfao. Then there's Charlotte with the new character that joined the group, and Rokka with that cliffhanger in which for some reason they think gun-wielding-eye-patched Phi is a traitor. Saturdays and Sundays are lit :3

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well so you remember from here on out, her birthday is the 24th of July.

You should remember this because it should be on your mind 24/7.

It's a really, really old series, and isn't related to Ronin Warriors at all. The anime's based on the manga, except for some filler arc that was anime only, but still cool.

The show definitely hasn't aged well, though. I remember absurdly long amounts of time spent going up stairs and seeing Hyouga diving to the sunken boat where her mother had died a thounsand times (with the exact same footage, even).

You don't need to watch them all. Saint Seiya canon in general is large mess but without delving into manga, it can be divided into 3 separate things that can be watched separately.

Original Saint Seiya (~110 episodes), then to finish manga material about 10 years later Toei did an OVA series Saint Seiya: Hades Chapter Santuary. Saint Seiya: Hades Chapter Inferno and Saint Seiya: Hades Chapter Elysion. Not sure if it is or will be acknowledged as canon but currently airing Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold takes place during the Elysion chapter and to "get it" you'd need to watch the preceding positions on this list.

Saint Seiya Omega is a fairly recently done sequel, set after the events of the original series, with mostly new cast though with a lot of fanservice for older fans too. Especially in the second half a lot of old characters come back and take a more proactive role. You should be okay watching it on your own.

But you shouldn't because it's ~96 episodes of absolute shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas is a prequel to the og series, is not regarded as canon and doesn't require any previous knowledge. Sure some bits, references and callbacks would fly above your head but on the other hand, you will be unspoiled on the outcome which I dare say, will elevate material greatly. The anime is only 26 episodes but it only adapts only the first ~96 chapters of the manga. (out of ~220) If you decide it to give it a shot you will need to go there to finish the story.

Generally speaking, if you want to watch something SS today watch Lost Canvas. As much as my nostalgia goggles would like me to tell you otherwise, Saint Seiya is just not a very good franchise, filled to brink with repetitive scenarios, fights that amount to" get beaten around --->power up through the power friendship/burning your cosmo/"I have to protect Athena !"---> win and poor production values. LC can't quite escape the trappings of the franchise, it's still shounen as hell and it falls into its own patterns too but I dare say it at least tries. Pretty hard. Story and production values wise, it is way, way above and beyond any other outing of the franchise. If you want to give the Saint Seiya a try and leave with your sanity intact, go for Lost Canvas

Thanks a lot for that overview! I'm not sure why, but I've been really curious about this series. I'm not sure if I'm gonna follow the rabbit hole all the way through all of the anime and manga, but I'll probably dip my toe in with Lost Canvas. Thanks again for that info, that helped a lot!

/XX/

Has this been posted in here yet? A full transcript of Masao Maruyama's MAPPA panel at Otakon 2015 (a tradition by now to have him there). Both Tondog (@tondog) and Daryl Surat (@DarylSurat) also did nice job mentioning its key points before.

Would make sense, didn't he do designs or keyframes for Majin Bone
Yep, both things. About his animation cuts he admitted there was still a whole lot to learn while doing so (http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1402051342&p=4). Cool if he has the possibility of giving another try at it and keep improving on the upcoming adaptation too.

cajunator

Banned

Nozaki kuuuuun!
Hopefully this leads to a bluray release soon!
Sticking with original japanaese for this one though. Sakura's voice is perfection.

That will obviously happen in the epilogue after he's T-Boned Erina.

Who the heck would touch Erina? shes disgusting.

Prismya Illya's existence is the new reason why MahouGAF isn't a thing

I think nobody is brave enough. I volunteer to do it if nobody else does.
Its a huge genre and it should be represented!
Potentially the most fun thread on Gaf! Would be so colorful and amazing and have so much gif potential with transformations and attacks and stuff.
Yes I am serious.

Sentai Filmworks had a Q&A on Twitter, some tidbits below:

Hidamari Skeeeeeeetch!!!!

Chaika and Log Horizon 2 pleeeeeease!

MSMrRound

Shokugeki no Soma 16

Karaage arc getting animated. Yessss. It was kind of short, but still enjoyable.

Symphogear GX episode 4

Welp. We got spoilt by the first six minutes of episode 1. Project Ignite gonna backfire so bad but hey...at least we get new forms!

Now that all the girls are down for the count it's time for anime girl and her gang to step up their game.

Hibiki dead eyes means possible flashback and return of Berserker mode, yes?

javac

Some announcements from Anime Limited:

Ping Pong The Animation
  • The complete series will be released on both Blu-ray and DVD and will contain both the English dub and the original Japanese Audio with English subtitles and will be released this October.
Mobile Suit Gundam
  • Anime Limited announced that they have partnered up with Sunrise.
  • As part of that partnership, Anime Limited are releasing the Gundam series, starting with Mobile Suit Gundam on Blu-ray in Q4 2015.
  • More info on the set will come soon but it will contain both English dub and the original Japanese audio with English subtitles.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam will come with all 43 episodes across two sets with Part One releasing in Q4 2015.
  • This is the first time that it has ever been released or broadcast in the UK.
  • More Gundam releases to come with more news at London Comic Con.
  • Anime Limited are also releasing Gundam Reconguista in G this December.
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
  • Anime Limited announced that they've rescued BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and it'll be released on DVD this November.
  • BECK will be released as a complete collection with all 26 episodes and will contain both English dub and the original Japanese audio with English subtitles.
Blood Blockade Battlefront
  • Anime Limited announced that they've acquired and will release the recent anime Blood Blockade Battlefront. No more information on this release as of yet.
Scheduled from October:
  • Sword Art Online II Part 2 (BD | DVD)
  • Ping Pong (BD | DVD)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Part 1 (BD | DVD)
November 2015:
  • Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress (BD | DVD)
  • Samurai Flamenco - (Blu-ray only and Sub only, releasing over two volumes)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Part 2 (BD | DVD)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad (DVD)
December 2015:
  • A Letter to Momo (BD | DVD)
  • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (Also coming with a steelbook edition)
  • Sword Art Online II Part 3 (BD | DVD)
  • Gundam Reconguista in G: Part 1 (subtitle only)
Early 2016:
  • The Vision of Escaflowne (BD | DVD)
  • Aldnoah.Zero Part 1 (BD | DVD)
Tidbits from the Q&A:
  • Full Metal Panic! will be released by the end of the year, no date finalized yet and an Ultimate Edition is still being looked into.
  • Sunrise really wanted to release as much of Gundam as possible in the west.
  • The problem with steelbook releases is that there's no room for art-books and such, so in the end it's a case by case basis.
  • Gangsta is a single cour show.
  • Anime Limited would love to release first part of Aldnoah.Zero before the end of the year.
  • No new news on Durarara!! x2.
  • They've not forgotten about Baccano!
  • Escaflowne is slated for early 2016 and they are still looking into the Directors Cut stuff.
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront was difficult to acquire, and a cool edition is planned.
  • Anime Limited are keen on Death Parade, but no news yet.
  • China was paying more to aquire anime series than every other non-Japanese territory combined until recently.

Hastati

Gate 04

I'm really enjoying the characterizations and in-depth socio-political stuff going on in this show, it has a unique approach to world-building. I also like the MC and his growing harem group of archetypal friends.

The depictions of countries other Japan are laughable though. I actually laughed this episode with that scene in the car. My God. I think I can tolerate the Hoo-rah Nihonjinron Japan Ichiban shit as long as they keep up the interesting world developments, but it's bad.

---

Also WTF happened to BBB final episode!?

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 9

Well that was dull. Probably the most meh episode so far. At least next episode will get away from the hot springs.

cajunator

Banned
Gate 04

I don't think the JSDF would allow foreign civilians to bear weapons in a sensitive military installation, refugee status or no. The mage staffs might get a pass, they could be plausibly passed off as tools, but Rory's carrying around a gigantic fuck-off axe at all times.

Thats why she is the best girl! Rory stole my heart lol. But shes a gothic lolita so thats to be expected.

Prisma Illya is better than UBW. Easily.

Shokugeki no Soma 16

Karaage arc getting animated. Yessss. It was kind of short, but still enjoyable.

Symphogear GX episode 4

Welp. We got spoilt by the first six minutes of episode 1. Project Ignite gonna backfire so bad but hey...at least we get new forms!

Now that all the girls are down for the count it's time for anime girl and her gang to step up their game.

Hibiki dead eyes means possible flashback and return of Berserker mode, yes?
please no. stop the berserker mode..if they do it , that would mean that they really don't have many ideas left.
Is it even possible for her to go berserker now that she doesn't have any gungir shards in her body ?

javac

Announcements from Manga Entertainment / Animatsu Entertainment:

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'
  • Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' is going to be released theatrically in the UK on September 2015, weeks after the US.
  • A "substantial number" of screens will be showing the film.
  • If you pre-order a cinema ticket, you'll be able to get your hands on one of two Limited Edition figures that are exclusive.
Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie
  • Manga Entertainment have licensed Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie and it will be releasing on October 12th 2015 on both Blu-ray and DVD.
The Last: Naruto the Movie
  • Manga Entertainment have also licensed The Last: Naruto the Movie and it will be releasing on Blu-ray and DVD.
Bakumatsu Rock
  • Animatsu Entertainment have licensed Bakumatsu Rock and it will be releasing on October 19th 2015.
Coppelion
  • Coppelion will be released on DVD only.
  • It will be released on November 2nd 2015.
World Conquest Zvezda Plot
  • World Conquest Zvezda Plot will also be released on DVD only on November 2nd 2015.
Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
  • Magi: The Kingdom of Magic will be released across two parts on both Blu-ray and DVD by the end of the year.
Danganronpa: The Animation
  • Manga Entertainment have licensed Danganronpa: The Animation and it will be released as a Blu-ray and DVD Complete Collection on November 9th 2015.
Beyond the Boundary
  • Animatsu Entertainment are releasing Beyond the Boundary as a Complete Series Collection on DVD and Blu-ray.
  • Date TBC but it will be out by years end.
  • They also heavily hint that they have the Beyond the Boundary Movies too.
Garm Wars: The Last Druid
  • Animatsu Entertainment have licensed and will release Garm Wars: The Last Druid, the Mamoru Oshii live-action film this Q4 2015.
Parasyte: Part 1 (Live Action Movie)
  • Animatsu Entertainment have acquired the first live-action Parasyte movie.
  • The first Parasyte live-action movie will be released on both Blu-ray and DVD in early November.
Attack on Titan live-action movie
  • The Attack on Titan live-action film will get a theatrical release in October.
  • Will be shown on a lot of screens.
  • The film will be released on Home video in early 2016.
Q&A:
  • Animatsu and Manga do not have Assassination Classroom, someone else in the UK has acquired it.
  • They are not interested in Kuroko's Basketball, however they are interested in acquiring Haikyuu!!.
  • No date is finalized as of yet for Noragami Series One Collection. Still slated for Blu-ray and DVD this year.
  • Almost half a million Naruto DVDs and Blu-rays have been sold by Manga in the UK.
  • No news on the acquisition of the latest series of Black Butler yet.
  • Not sure if Aniplex will work with them again in the future, that decision is up to Aniplex.
  • Manga Entertainment are waiting for news from FUNimation Entertainment in regards to Eva 3.33, apparently the hold up is with the film's director.

phaze

Steins;Gate 10
They have the same eyes, clearly Okabe=John Titor=Suzuha's father.

Or not. Who the hell knows.
Mayuri has way too much presence in the opening for what is up till now, a fairly irrelevant character. It's either her or Suzuha for that soon to happen twist. But I really have no clue what Mayuri can bring to the table.
04qzmxlwxsmw.gif

Gonna rewatch episode 1 to try to fit the so far acquired knowledge to what transpired there. I just hope it all makes some semblance of sense at the end, I remember being peeved off at Looper's story for failing to do that.

Mandelbo

2x2 Ninja Nonsense -END-

Well that was fun! The first half of episode one was quite misleading in having it focus on Shinobu having to steal panties from Kaede to complete her exam, since it's definitely not an ecchi show, which was a nice surprise. Instead it goes full-on stupid, poking fun at everything, including itself. I certainly wasn't expecting Harry Potter references of all things during the finale. I can't reiterate enough how dumb and bizarre this whole show was, but one thing it wasn't was boring; it consistently entertained me the whole way through. The comparison I made to Dokuro-chan a few days ago holds true, I feel, except toned down a bit obviously (Miyabi also has the same voice actor as Sabato from Dokuro-chan, too.)

All the characters just want to have fun! The ninjas were great, even though I felt their existence was funnier when I mistakenly believed they were all called Sasuke; Onsokumaru, while having his moments of iffy voice work, managed to grow on me the more I watched. Shinobu was adorably naive and I guess in some ways Kaede was as well. The show makes frequent use of visual humour too coupled with what I feel is a fairly distinctive visual style, which was always entertaining and occasionally bemusing to see, although that art style shift in episode nine was really obvious and really weird because of it.

It was fun and you should go watch it if you like fun

Also I called that the subplot that they introduced in episode eight would be brushed aside later for laughs

MSMrRound

please no. stop the berserker mode
Is it even possible for her to go berserker now that she doesn't have any gungir shards in her body ?

Well...GX's logo is pretty much based on Hibiki's berserker mode...

also...some fans are pushing the idea that Micah
pushed the damaged gear back into Hibiki's body due to excessive force.

Apotheosis is a great piece of music but the whole experience isnt very special. I dont know why people like that game so much.

It's arguably one of the key examples as to why video games are art.

the dynamic [amazing] music, the companionship you form with strangers where all you can do is chime, the fantastic sense of a journey, that very last section is also amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom