• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Imas CG 16
Ovrie4Rl.png

You know, even though this is so transparent, at least it's better than the "villain" from the original imas. That said, this all still feels like a completely unnecessary reboot.

zulux21

The foodgasms later on are fine and they're an important part of the show. That I understand.

I'm just salty that the first episode has a scene that makes people go: "NOPE. Girl and tentacles. Instant drop."

I was sad at that as well, but I feel like a lot of people are giving it a second chance due to the positive response to stuff after that. I can't remember any other show that I have seen so many people pick up after 10-15 episodes and then start praising how good it is as well.

I'm just glad i read the manga before the anime was announced as I might have been one of those first episode and drop people (likely not since it followed the manga and I kept reading anyways because I was in the mood for something like yakitate japan but still) I am also glad it's such a solid adaption though, I am hoping it ends with a spring 2016 season 2 announcement much like assassination classroom ended with a season 2 announcement.

Quasar

I don't know if GATE is terrible. It just deals with the real world stuff with the nuance of a teenager who just read Tom Clancy book. It's basically a Japanese version of Stargate SG-1, but instead of space worm Egyptians, it's generic fantasy Europeans. You have your natives who are impressed with generic contemporary weapons, you have your generically nerdy and affable lead (even Colonel O'Neill wanted to name their first starship Enterprise) and your totally generic understanding of politics. lol

I guess it's telling though that I'd more interested in seeing what is happening in the real world, because I can't imagine China not reacting to Japan discovering a new world that would let them potentially obtain a huge tactical advantage in the region. And presumably Chinese politicians get to pull the Asian version of Godwin's law and gently remind everyone about what happened when Japan tried to colonize the region in WW2.

And really...this would be world wide news with the UN (and international science community) wanting to play major role in the gate project, rather than just a few countries skulking around japans back.

But yeah. To me it is a Japanese Stargate. And being a big fan of Stargate (at least the movie and early seasons) I'm quite enjoying it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And really...this would be world wide news with the UN (and international science community) wanting to play major role in the gate project, rather than just a few countries skulking around japans back.

But yeah. To me it is a Japanese Stargate. And being a big fan of Stargate (at least the movie and early seasons) I'm quite enjoying it.
I think Stargate broke down for me when they decided to be preachy and involve more and more real world stuff. The moment the Americans decided to yell at space aliens for being racist, it just became an untenable problem. Then you have the thing where they imply 9-11 happened in the Stargate universe, which means that the President purposefully let thousands of Americans die in order to protect the secret of aliens. And these are our heroes?

I'm not sure if I'd be happier if GATE just ignored the real world entirely though, because then you'd have a world that would make even less sense.

It's hardly a reboot when it's a separate game
I mean reboot in the traditional TV sense. Like when they decided to retcon an entire season of Dallas because the writers fucked up and had to roll it all back. I mean, it's not that bad, but having them start all the way at the bottom because of this probably not-antagonistic new boss is just a bit extreme.

Mature

Show that I'm about to Drop
Rinne- I know it's written by the same lady as Inuyasha but it just feels too much the same of Inuyasha. I'll try to watch a few more episodes but if I'm not enjoying myself I'll just stop
I mean, superficially, the show is Inuyasha, and I was under the impression it would follow suit in all of it's nuances too, but the show is pretty fundamentally different. Chief among those differences is in how much of a comedy and how little of a drama RIN-NE is. I don't know how much of the show you've watched, but it evolves pretty quickly into something that subverts those expectations in a fresh way— even in the way it "approaches" romance (Sakura Mamiya typically doesn't give a fuck). I found myself enjoying it a lot.

I guess i'll turn this into a plug: If you're interested in RIN-NE and you haven't given it a shot, consider this my official recommendation.

I mean reboot in the traditional TV sense. Like when they decided to retcon an entire season of Dallas because the writers fucked up and had to roll it all back. I mean, it's not that bad, but having them start all the way at the bottom because of this probably not-antagonistic new boss is just a bit extreme.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

I mean, superficially, the show is Inuyasha, and I was under the impression it would follow suit in all of it's nuances too, but the show is pretty fundamentally different. Chief among those differences is in how much of a comedy and how little of a drama RIN-NE is. I don't know how much of the show you've watched, but it evolves pretty quickly into something that subverts those expectations in a fresh way— even in the way it "approaches" romance (Sakura Mamiya typically doesn't give a fuck). I found myself enjoying it a lot.

I guess i'll turn this into a plug: If you're interested in RIN-NE and you haven't given it a shot, consider this my official recommendation.

I'm like around 4-5, sixish but I'll give it more of a shot.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Symphogear GX Episode 4:

Oh hey, I was wondering when this season was going to piss me off and it finally happened with Hibiki's power impotence. Yea, no, they never were able to justify this storyline because it lacked the needed trauma to have credibility at this point. This is a storyline you could pull in season 1 but no season 3 and it turns out to be fucking pointless anyway, bad plotline to a bad episode.

Soma 16

A whole episode just for the battle between Soma and his dad. This show is so good that even what one would think is kinda boring, wasn't. Such a great episode, and kinda inspiring. Even after 490 losses Soma continues trying to beat his father. I hope we see the day in which he does.

Jarmel

Banned
Soma 16

A whole episode just for the battle between Soma and his dad. This show is so good that even what one would think is kinda boring, wasn't. Such a great episode, and kinda inspiring. Even after 490 losses Soma continues trying to beat his father. I hope we see the day in which he does.

That will obviously happen in the epilogue after he's T-Boned Erina.

Cornbread78

Gate ep.4
I love the tone and feel of this show. I'm sure it will get brutal again later, but the interaction between the special land people and soldiers is great. We are also getting a better idea of the refugees and their personalities at the same time. Looks like they are off to another city, so this could be fun.

Tenumi

Banned
All these warnings. Just let people get banned to thin the herd.

I like your thinking.

Pretty much. Threadshitting with all the "threads totally gonna get closed" is very, very annoying and contributes absolutely nothing. Just acting smart and not posting things that are clearly against the TOS is all that needs to be done. Those that can't follow that, well, they would deserve a ban.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, so far this season, out of the shows I've been watching I've only dropped Gangsta, all through Actually, I Am is teetering right at that edge of enjoyability. Episode to episode basis right now.

That will obviously happen in the epilogue after he's T-Boned Erina.

I want him to end up with Megumi. After T-boning Erina and putting her in her right place of course.

Classroom Crisis 4

Never fuck with the Union. This Anime shows it well, the Union may seem like it's surrounded by a sea of roses but that isn't always the case. Very good episode, also is it just me or do I sense a spark between Sensei and Angelina? I mean the show has the romance tag on it and all...

And since we are doing current lists:

HYPE!
Soma
Gangsta
God Eater
Shimoneta

This is some good shit!!
School Live!
Working!!!
Classroom Crisis
Charlotte

This is alright so I'll keep watching!
Arslan
Snow White in the Red Hair
Rokka no Yuusha

Umaru
68747470733a2f2f33332e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f30643636623063616432643938613536336237643534623232396333633463642f74756d626c725f6e7237336d36766d5267317469366135326f315f3530302e676966

It's okay.

Gakkou Gurashi! 3

Fuck, this is too much for my heart.
Megu-nee is so dead.
God is this too much despair, I can't even imagine of what's to come. Great episode though as we delve deep into Megu-nee's character.

I want him to end up with Megumi. After T-boning Erina and putting her in her right place of course.

Man after seeing Soma's interactions with Hisako which is later on in the manga I ship them hard. Hisako and Soma pretty much have the best chemistry, so much better than Megumi's or any other female character. They won't reach that part in the anime though.

But too bad tsunderes always win in the end, fucking Erina. Worst girl will win and everyone knows it.

Man after seeing Soma's interactions with Hisako which is later on in the manga I ship them hard. Hisako and Soma pretty much have the best chemistry, so much better than Megumi's or any other female character. They won't reach that part in the anime though.

But too bad tsunderes always win in the end, fucking Erina. Worst girl will win and everyone knows it.

Seriously hope we get a season 2. Those 2 weeks without this show killed me... Can't imagine how it'll be if they don't announce a second season soon. I'll jump right into the manga like a sucker.

As for that, i would be pleasantly surprised if he even ended up with anyone, seeing how at least for now there has been 0 romance.

javac

Sentai Filmworks had a Q&A on Twitter, some tidbits below:

In regards to Bandai Entertainment rescues and other Sunrise releases (Big O mentioned in particular):
As of right now, no additional news on our Sunrise stuff. Keep asking us though! :)

When asked if Cross Ange will get a physical release:
Cross Ange will indeed get a physical release, but I am not sure when right now!

When asked if Chaika - The Coffin Princess will receive a dub:
Haven't heard anything yet, but if I have anything to say about it...

When asked if they have any more info on the Gatchaman Crowds franchise:
We will have news on that franchise soon, actually.

When asked if they are planning to release the Girls und Panzer movies:
We are definitely looking into more Girls und Panzer stuff!

When asked if they'll release a Blu-ray for Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb:
Soon, hopefully!

In regards to what audio will be available with the release of Higurashi When They Cry:
We haven't gotten that far into planning for our release of Higurashi, but when we do we'll let you know!

When asked if K-On! will get a CE release:
If there is enough of an uproar for a K-ON! CE, then we might give it a second look. :)

What they have planned for LoGH:
The ink is still drying on the LOGH deal, but we are already planning things for our interstellar baby. ^_~

If they have any plans to release Little Busters!: EX:
We are definitely looking into further releases in the Little Busters franchise. ;)

When asked for info on the release of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun:
DING DING DING! Waiting for this question: Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun will indeed be getting a dub!

When we'll get release info on Log Horizon 2:
Log Horizon 2 has made it onto our release schedule, so you can expect something soon!
And if it'll receive a CE:
If there enough demand for a Log Horizon CE, sure!

If we'll see a Blu-ray release of Chunibyo & Other Delusions -Heart Throb-:
Eventually, I believe we will. Cross your fingers!

When asked if they'll release My Love Story:
Yes we will eventually release My Love Story on BD and DVD.

When asked if Shirobako is scheduled for 2015 or 2016:
I'm thinking 2016, but hey there's a whole month left after our November slate.

cajunator

Banned
Is Soma only gonna be 24 episodes? Hope it doesn't end with a read the manga style ending.

it will almost certainly go further than that. It has to. We NEED it.

The "hype" for Illya is exaggerated because bans and the thread being shut down are memes in these threads.

its just really cute and a good mahou shoujo with great action scenes.

Shokugeki no Soma - 16

This show is so great.

There's so much detail into explaining why one character one over the other in these cook-offs. Nobody wins because OH NO HIS SHOUNEN COOKING POWER LEVEL IS TOO HIGH or OH NO I RAN OUT OF INGREDIENTS. Everybody has a plan, and the amount of detail that goes into them is just so high it's practically impossible to not be impressed. This episode is another great example of that by showing just how better of a cook Joichiro was than Soma.

It's a real shame this show started off the way it did, turning away many viewers.

They don't know what they're missing.

The first ep wasnt that over the top.
kinda silly to drop it there.
The father son battle is brilliant.

Cornbread78

Classroom*Crisis ep.4
This show surprises me each week with how entertaining space budgets can be. The Union trick didn't work out, but with the other students coming back, especially the accounting girl, they were able to 1-up Angelina. Well, using Sensei's new title to atheir advantage of course, but a small victory for the team/class.

Honestly, I fully expect Soma to end with the prelim results and then confirm a second season right away after the final episode. I can't see them pacing it this way where it'll have to stop mid-arc otherwise.

Honestly, I fully expect Soma to end with the prelim results and then confirm a second season right away after the final episode. I can't see them pacing it this way where it'll have to stop mid-arc otherwise.

Yep that's the perfect place for it to stop, and we know they will invest a whole episode towards the ping pong chapter.

JulianImp

The foodgasms later on are fine and they're an important part of the show. That I understand.

I'm just salty that the first episode has a scene that makes people go: "NOPE. Girl and tentacles. Instant drop."

The worst part is not only did they do that scene, but then the post-ending drawing made some crude joke about the girl saying she didn't actually hate it (at least from what I can remember).

Cornbread78

Wakaba*Girl ep.4
Another cute episode. We all hate burnt cupcskes though, and hey, if your friend wants to give you cash to hang out, take it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, Prison School is not for me. Maybe I'll watch at the end to see what happens, but the awkward sexualization without any sexuality is just offputting. I guess they needed to top the golden shower thing with the squats, but if the whole point of the show is that the sexuality is just mere voyeurism (which, hey, is why they're all in "prison" I suppose) then after three episodes, it already feels repetitive.

Yeah, Prison School is not for me. Maybe I'll watch at the end to see what happens, but the awkward sexualization without any sexuality is just offputting. I guess they needed to top the golden shower thing with the squats, but if the whole point of the show is that the sexuality is just mere voyeurism (which, hey, is why they're all in "prison" I suppose) then after three episodes, it already feels repetitive.

I'd say the point is more the tension that just so happens to involve risque positions and such and the dissonance that comes from those kinds of scenarios. Before the manga, I never thought something like this could have such masterfully-executed suspense. It's like the Kaiji of sex.

Though to be fair, I didn't really get that feeling until later. The art style shifts and facial expressions were the appeal for me in the beginning. Now it's that plus the above.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd say the point is more the tension that just so happens to involve risque positions and such and the dissonance that comes from those kinds of scenarios. Before the manga, I never thought something like this could have such masterfully-executed suspense. It's like the Kaiji of sex.

Though to be fair, I didn't really get that feeling until later. The art style shifts and facial expressions were the appeal for me in the beginning. Now it's that plus the above.
I never watched Kaiji so I don't understand that reference. lol
At the moment, I don't know if the show wants me to think the guys are terrible people, or if the show wants me to perv along with the guys. It doesn't help that the only thing the guys get to do away from the girls is to make what is basically a gay joke.

So I've never heard until Saint Seiya until this season, but apparently its had like a million different anime series? Do I need to watch them all? Are they kind of connected like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

Also, does it have any relation to Ronin Warriors? The premise seems pretty similar, are the series related or are they just in the same genre?

Andrew J.

Gate 04

I don't think the JSDF would allow foreign civilians to bear weapons in a sensitive military installation, refugee status or no. The mage staffs might get a pass, they could be plausibly passed off as tools, but Rory's carrying around a gigantic fuck-off axe at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom