• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Eater 3

Fuck this is the best feeling. So many baddass, action packed scenes in this. Alisa delivered. When Lenka learned how to use his weapon, that too was awesome. This scene wasn't in the game at all, so that very last part actually left me with my mouth wide open lol. Not going to post screenshots since tons of others have done it already, but there's many memorable shots in each episode, it's awesome.

So my question is the same as before since no one was able to answer, are we gonna have to wait for 2 or 3 weeks for the next episode? And what does this mean for the show, that we will be getting less than a cour's worth of episodes, or will we keep getting this in batches, 1-cour of length spread out through 2-cours with breaks of 2-3 weeks in between?

Ugh last post, not gonna get an answer again lol.

There will be a special airing in place of the regular episode next week; episode 4 should air in 2 weeks as long as it's completed in time. With the delays, the timeslot won't be long enough to run all 13 episodes in so the final however many episodes will likely be delayed until they can be finished and find a spot to air. So it'll be a similar situation to Girls und Panzer or Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Sterok

Aikatsu 40

Kiriya Aoi: Master of improv and forced to mother grown ass adults. Meanwhile, Pow Pow Pururin gets thrown into spotlight thanks to the whims of the headmistress. Not exactly what I had in mind when I thought of the hellish lives idols live.

There will be a special airing in place of the regular episode next week; episode 4 should air in 2 weeks as long as it's completed in time. With the delays, the timeslot won't be long enough to run all 13 episodes in so the final however many episodes will likely be delayed until they can be finished and find a spot to air. So it'll be a similar situation to Girls und Panzer or Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Thanks for the reply! I am loving the heck out of the show, but I guess that is just because I played GE. The bolded is something that makes me sad... BBBs situation is awful, can't believe we have been waiting this long for the final episode. By the time it drops, only a handful will even check it out, the hype is dead. Same could happen with GE. I'm sure that fans like me will watch all of the episodes, but everyone else? Not so sure.

Shinometa 4
Well that was certainly extraordinary. Even the reactions in the thread did not quite prepare me for that scene.

On an aside, seeing SDburton's reactions to Prism Illya is just bliss

Arslan 16

Another victory for Arslan and party thanks to the good use of tactics. Next episode should be interesting, a one-one-one with Daryun? I mean come on, the guy is a tank lol.

all these people watching trashy shows, nobody watching actually good shows like Working

I thought a lot of people were watching, myself included. It's the ships season for that show, mhm good stuff.

Squalor

The art and action in God Eater are way too good for me to drop.

This shit is beautiful. There won't be any noteworthy character development, but at least there are some compelling parts.

OceanBlue

Not watching Shimoneta, but it sounds like what happened in the latest episode would definitely cause more reactions than Takanashi being a jerk to Inami. :(

Woofy, Wagnaria! is on my list to start this week; my next big adventure, lol.

You are in for quite the ride. Although I could see it getting a bit repetitive watching all 2 seasons plus this last one all in one go. I mean, the main setting of the show is the restaurant, so don't expect a huuuuge variety of environments. You do have a great cast of quirky characters getting into all kinda of silly misadventures at work though, so that makes up for it big time. Real fun series.

The art and action in God Eater are way too good for me to drop.

This shit is beautiful. There won't be any noteworthy character development, but at least there are some compelling parts.

I go on tumblr, something that I never do, just to see the gifs for the episodes that people put up there. So many crazy good scenes.

Not watching Shimoneta, but it sounds like what happened in the latest episode would definitely cause more reactions than Takanashi being a jerk to Inami. :(

I feel like everyone on here with a sense of humour should give this show a shot. The stuff is good, it is getting tons of praise around here for good reason. Episode 4 just so happened to up the ante lol.

javac

WxPkuop.jpg
Treasure Island (Takarajima) is a 1978 anime series directed by the late Osamu Dezaki, the man who directed animated classics such as The Rose of Versailles, Ace o Nerae!, Oniisama e and Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow’s Joe) among many others and Treasure Island is yet another animated classic that is a part of his legendary resume and is an adaptation of the Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson novel of the same name. Spanning a total of 26 episodes it tells the story of Jim Hawkins, a happy go lucky 13 year old boy who lives in England with his widowed mother. They run an Inn together, but ever since his farther died both he and his Mom have struggled running the Inn day in and day out and customers have all but disappeared. The series starts off with them getting a customer on a dark and stormy night. A big man, he is rough and scarred in appearance, a drunkard who requests nothing but rum for both breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eventually his odd behavior piques young Jim Hawkins interest, and as he becomes more and more aggressive as the days go by, the boy becomes more and more suspicious of the man. Maybe he’s a real pirate? As the series goes on both Jim and his Mother become more involved in his business as the man who we now learn goes by the name Billy Bones requests of young Jim to let him know if he ever spots a one legged man that he fears. On paper Takarajima comes across as a typical affair, a show about pirates, sea shanties and both treasure and violence but truth be told it’s all wrapped up in a beautiful aesthetic that makes it ever so hard not to keep your eyes on. The 1970’s series shines as brightly today as it did back when it first aired, adorned with striking animation, fantastic, charming character designs and a beautiful soundtrack.

The soundtrack is composed by the late Kentaro Haneda and as such reminds me heavily of the soundtrack from SDF Macross, sans Minmay that is of course. Needless to say it’s a fantastic soundtrack and a highlight of the series. When watching the series it clear that not a lot of music is played throughout the series, however what is utilized is fantastic as each track works its magic during each and every scene, effortlessly telegraphing just what type of scene is commencing. The opening theme, Takarajima by Machida Yoshito is a phenomenal piece and really instils a sense of adventure into you as you start each and every episode, with help by Columbia Yurikago Kai children's choir who add a lot of depth to the theme while the ending, Chiisana Funanori is equally beautiful, if not more so and is an amazing way to cap off each and every episode. Overall the music is masterful in its composition and implementation, enhancing each and every scene and making everything that much more dramatic, that much more emotional and that much more of an adventure. Top marks here.

Now with audio comes visuals and the animation is also a massive highlight of this series. Painterly is a word that I’d use to describe it. A lot of it is static, not unlike many series from that time period, however not only does it still look breath-taking at times, but that style of animation is also very much a staple of the late Osamu Dezaki (the director). If you’ve seen any of his other series such as Ashita no Joe you’ll be instantly accustomed to this. This style of animation has been given many names; the most prominent is the pastel freeze frame however Dezaki himself dubs it as postcard memories. Osamu Dezaki to be honest is a very fascinating director that brings along many of his signature techniques across his whole portfolio, and each one almost works as a stamp, branding each and every series in order to make it very clear that this is his work and creates a consistency throughout all of his works. His work visually is unmistakably his and comes across as very striking, because although these techniques are used across the whole medium, nobody can put them to work quite like he can, implementing them effortlessly in each and every episode and each and every scene. It all blends together, not sticking out like a sore thumb.

The art itself is fantastic; however the direction of each and every scene is equally fantastic. He often makes uses of dutch angles in order to disorientate the viewer and high low key lighting, with deep shadows and high contrast lighting in order to create a sense of isolation and loneliness and transitioning from detailed paintings to normal animation and vice versa in order to transition from scene to scene. A myriad of effects and cinematography techniques are utilized in order to foster a unique atmosphere and in the end it’s easy to say that I really enjoy the series from a visual standpoint. A lot of the visual cues can be called cost cutting and time saving measures but in all honestly that’s beside the point because it works tremendously well in Takarajima and is incorporated wonderfully as they all blend into the beautiful painterly visuals.

Although it’s clear that I love both the visuals and music for Takarajima, what makes it more enjoyable is that it goes further. One scene in particular, a flash back, reuses a previous scene but inverts all of the colors into negative and its things like this that make the series stand out visually. Being a show called Treasure Island it’s clear that a lot of water is involved, so when the sounds of waves clashing against each other is as riveting as it is here, it’s only so much more enjoyable and immersive as you feel the sun-rays emitting from your screen.

The character designs in Takarajima are as I mentioned above fantastic. Long John Silver looks like a really manly man, with his blue eyes, flowing hair and huge chiseled chin and young Jim Hawkins looks like a young adventurous boy, as he should, with eyes wide as the world which really represent the characters perfectly. What’s more, it seems like the people at Gainax agree as in an interview Nakashima states that with Simon in the epilogue to Gurren Lagann they took inspiration from John Silver and it goes deeper, because when pitching Gurren Lagann itself internally both Nakashima and Imaishi wanted to create a series that was “as manly as Takarajima and Ashita no Joe”. And in the end, looking at them side by side it’s impossible to miss the resemblance.

I’m a massive fan of these types of shows, shows that really embrace their childlike nature with open arms and tell stories that are fun and really make you feel like a kid again, eager to know what happens next. Takarajima is also very funny which goes a long way, but unlike many series the humor is down to the mannerisms of the characters themselves and is subtle and not in your face. It really does remind me of a series like SDF Macross. Takarajima is not a serious series, the story isn’t intricate or full of twists and turns and crazy revelations. It’s straight forward and telegraphs itself clearly, but that’s fine because it’s an immensely fun ride, one that makes you feel like a kid again without treating you like one. People die, and a few episodes in particular played out like a horror film, and yet the whole experience is endearing and fun to watch. The series is not perfect, being a kid’s show it’s not mind-blowing in and of itself, and although not every episode is full of things going on, they all never the less keep you interested and engaged.

In the end, Takarajima has ended up as one of my favorite series, one with beautiful animation, charming and likeable characters and a great soundtrack that all works together to form a concoction of fun, adventure and excitement. Fifteen men on the dead man's chest...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! Drink and the devil had done for the rest...Yo-ho-ho, javac gives this a
9 out of 10
Story: 8
Animation: 9
Sound: 9
Character: 9
Enjoyment: 10
Overall: 9/10

Cornbread78

You are in for quite the ride. Although I could see it getting a bit repetitive watching all 2 seasons plus this last one all in one go. I mean, the main setting of the show is the restaurant, so don't expect a huuuuge variety of environments. You do have a great cast of quirky characters getting into all kinda of silly misadventures at work though, so that makes up for it big time. Real fun series.

Gottcha. I'll watch something in between the seasons so it doesn't get boring and stale then. I still have 5 cm to watch this week as well.

Squalor

I go on tumblr, something that I never do, just to see the gifs for the episodes that people put up there. So many crazy good scenes.
So good it's making people who would never visit Tumblr turn to Tumblr, haha. That's about the best endorsement an anime could get.

The "physics" of that plane sequence was pretty ridiculous, though.

I mean, I know it's an anime, but standing on top of a flying plane? Come on, haha.

Jarmel

Banned
God Eater-4
Why can't the damn game be like this? Why am I fighting on these boring ass ground maps when I could be having aerial battles on top of an airplane? During this whole episode I was thinking how fucking boring the game is in comparison.

Why can't the game missions be staged in a dynamic fashion like this, instead of the usual boring ass objectives? There seems to be a bigger focus on tactical strategies compared to the preparation focus in the game.
Why did Hirao not direct FSN UBW? The direction, despite mediocre animations for the battles, help elevate it to the point of at least being interesting. Things like Alicia trying to one-up Renka after he starts getting fancy add at least some flavor to the battle. Again though the big thing that strikes me is not only how much better the soundtrack is compared to the work in FSN UBW but also the placement and usage.

Godeater is astounding in that the source and characters are bad and silly, but the direction and liberties they're taking with the source material is genuinely making it entertaining. I feel like in any other anime where the lead is a serious do-gooder rookie with potential the schtick would have worn thin by now, but in here it hasn't. Every new episode I'm waiting for the inevitable drop in entertainment, but the directing and art style have kept me watching even with such a silly bad source.

Shame that the scheduling is all fucked. Also those weapons are still like fucking stupid.

Jarmel

Banned
Shame that the scheduling is all fucked. Also those weapons are still like fucking stupid.

They're much better than their game counterparts, I can assure you that much. The range being so much longer and actually allowing it as a sort of hook makes things a lot more interesting on the fighting side.

It really kinda pisses me off how much more boring the game is.

Sterok

Aikatsu 41

So they dug up Shion from the closet only to dump her back in as soon as they would have to put in some actual effort for her? Bleh. She better be back by the time the next op hits. So Ran is scared of ghosts. Tsunderes. Idols > typhoons. Nice to finally have all 8 girls together in one casual setting. Though the sooner it turns into 9 girls the better.

Moaradin

So is God Eater worth watching even with it's generic story and characters? I watched the first episode but I wasn't all that impressed outside of the direction and it's art style. Do those qualities elevate it enough?

They're much better than their game counterparts, I can assure you that much. The range being so much longer and actually allowing it as a sort of hook makes things a lot more interesting on the fighting side.

They still look like fucking gigantic Lego to me though haha. I dunno I'm usually not bothered by anime characters using giant weapons, but like when every single character has Cloud/Gut's sword size it bothers me for one reason or another.

So is God Eater worth watching even with it's generic story and characters? I watched the first episode but I wasn't all that impressed outside of the direction and it's art style. Do those qualities elevate it enough?

Direction and art style are basically the only reason to watch it. Characters aren't anything special, and dialogue is silly at best.

kewlmyc

The LAST - Naruto the Movie:

Haven't watched/read Naruto in like 4 years, but I decided to check out the "final" movie anyway.

Atta boy Naruto.

As for the actual movie, the plot was typical shounen with the moon threatening to kill everyone, there's a portal on Earth that leads to the moon (wtf?), and blowing up the moon is clearly not going to fuck over the Earth and is totally a good idea. For the characters, it was nice seeing a whole movie dedicated to a couple getting together in a shounen series. Never seen that before. However I do wish that
Hinata actually confessed her feeling to him and he didn't find out via some bullshit genjutsu dream world that is in the middle of a portal to the moon. Really disappointing.

This whole movie felt like Kishimono wanted to have these two characters hook up at the end, realized that he either didn't write or focus enough on the two character's interactions for most of the manga, then wrote a rushed movie where the world's densest man realizes that the girl who confessed her love to him 3 years ago actually loves him. Oh well. Villain was standard villain, so nothing to really write about him, and Sasuke was barely in it, so huzzah for that. I don't regret watching this unlike the other Naruto movies I watched (the first two I think), and I got a little teary eyed at the end. I'll probalby watch Boruto the Movie when it comes out as well. But screw catching up with the series at this point. The OP scene that summarized the whole plot of the series confused the hell out of me. There's a 10 tails monster with a giant Sharigan, and someone ate one of the fruits from One Piece and that's how chakra was created? I'll wait for Naruto Kai.

Also, kinda late but RIP NaruSaku fans. The movie flat out says "fuck you, he only liked Sakura due to his homolust for Sasuke".

If you didn't like the first episode then I'd say no.

Prisma Illya 2wei - 06

Things got pretty emotional during the second half, and I gotta say that Iri
was quite the asshole when Chloe was having her breakdown. Like you basically have your daughter questioning why you decided to erase her from existence and for you to basically say nothing, all the while sporting a smile on your goddamn face is beyond fucked up.
I think that you saw clearly that she intend to take responsability for her mistake , even if she doesn't show it much. ..i guess that's how she is in this universe.

all these people watching trashy shows, nobody watching actually good shows like Working
Maybe you should pay attention to the people actually giving their impressions of working.in this very thread.

Prisma Illya 2wei - 09

Girl in a suit, with boyish princely looks... whose weapons are her fists?! Have I found the best girl?!! :OOOOOO

Have you ?

woow, you're burning throught those eps , Sdburton.. were you that thirsty ?

No.

But screw catching up with the series at this point. The OP scene that summarized the whole plot of the series confused the hell out of me. There's a 10 tails monster with a giant Sharigan, and someone ate one of the fruits from One Piece and that's how chakra was created? I'll wait for Naruto Kai.

The last arc of Naruto is an exercise in one upping bullshit more bullshit so if that doesn't sound funny to you, you will probably just get mad because it's very bad

Gottcha. I'll watch something in between the seasons so it doesn't get boring and stale then. I still have 5 cm to watch this week as well.
You see the series has been 1-cours so far if im not mistaken. You may be fine with it, and just watch season 1 and 2 back to back and take it as a 2-cour. Check for yourself and see how you feel, there's very little character progression throughout the show, it has been ramping up with each season I guess, with this last one finally delivering on all fronts, if the impressions from the past weeks haven't already told you as much aha.

The "physics" of that plane sequence was pretty ridiculous, though.

I mean, I know it's an anime, but standing on top of a flying plane? Come on, haha.

I thought it was normal? I always prefer to ride a plane from the outside, right on top. I prefer the natural light breeze you feel from the airplane flying at 900km/hr.

In the game Alisa just shows up in the base and you talk pretty much. No fancy underboob shots, no plane full of civillians, no 1000s of trash mobs chasing the plane, no fight on top of said plane With the new-times trying to show off and specially no gigantic fucking Ouroboros dropping down from the sky. Love the games, but gimme stuff like what we are getting in the show, and I'll be one happy camper.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I think that you saw clearly that she intend to take responsability for her mistake , even if she doesn't show it much. ..i guess that's how she is in this universe.

True.

Have you ?

woow, you're burning throught those eps , Sdburton.. were you that thirsty ?

I was planning on doing other stuff today, but when I got to episode two and saw Miyu and Chloe literally swapping spit with each other... I decided to clear my schedule to focus on this. So yeah, in short I was incredibly thirsty. :lol

Squishy3

Gintama 262-264

I wasn't ready for back-to-back arcs that were both super strong. Time to watch episode 265 and then the movie and finally catch up on the latest season!

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya would be pretty good even if it had zero fanservice, it's just really fun to watch.

It's easily better than FSN 2006 and Ufotable's UBW.

javac

A lot of shows in my back log, but I really don't feel like watching most of them right now. I think the next series I will watch is one that I've been wanting to watch for years now, Bokurano. It's always looked really interesting to me and the decisive nature of it attracts me more and more. I think that I'll really like it. Problem is, should I just read the manga...decisions.

Jintor

Personally I wish he was a little less honest. Like DTL. DTL at least pretends like he's watching the shows because they're good haha

dtl is so deep in on every social media incarnation i see him in (okay just on twitter also) i'm beginning to doubt if he's a character

JoJos Bizarre Adventure s1 18

I don't know how much more talking is a free action i can take. i should probably at least be doing weights while watching this

SDBurton

at least you're honest

I've been without yuri for some time, I need a recharge stat!

=====================

Prism Illya 2wei - 10

Still can't believe how awesome this show is. The limo scene was so on point. XD

So here are my OTP rankings at this time:

1. Illya x Miyu
  2. Rin x Luvia
  3. Chloe x Taiga
    Am I bad for hoping that they cater more to this pairing in future seasons?

Now onwards to the specials!

javac

Nice to see someone else appreciating this.

It's an amazing series, I wish more people would give it and similar shows from that time period a chance, and to be fair a lot of people do watch and appreciate such series but unfortunately a lot of these classics fall to the wayside to be forgotten. I hope that if anybody sees my review and thinks that it sounds even remotely interesting that they give it a shot, it's truly a real gem of a series and I can't wait to watch more series cut from the same cloth. I've always loved your avatar and I appreciate it all the more now :) Wear it proud, and thanks!

Shouta

4 weeks into the season and the two best shows I've seen so far are Gate and Rokka no Yuusha from the new stuff. Ushio & Tora and DBZ Super are fun as well. Prison School is OK for an adaptation but it feels like they're moving at break neck speeds. Robot Girls Z Plus is fun but short. Still need to see Aquarion Logos, God Eater, Gangsta, and Overlord.

SDBurton

Prisma Illya 2wei Specials - 1-5

Episode 3 and 5 were the highlights. Was expecting more of a focus on Illya and Miyu, oh well. The OVA that is out, is it already subbed or still raw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom