• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Aikatsu 43-44

So...is Shion joining the main cast or not? She's gotten a lot of attention for just a prominent secondary character, but it's implied she's going her own way. Which is fine (even though she fits in well with the main group), but she didn't definitely separate from Otome and Sakura, which implies their unit is still a thing. I suppose I'll get my answer in a few episodes. Meanwhile Suzukawa does his thing. He didn't exactly deny that Orihime is his older sister though. And he does have an older sister. And Aoi was the one who brought that up. Interesting.

TUSR

Banned
4 weeks into the season and the two best shows I've seen so far are Gate and Rokka no Yuusha from the new stuff. Ushio & Tora and DBZ Super are fun as well. Prison School is OK for an adaptation but it feels like they're moving at break neck speeds. Robot Girls Z Plus is fun but short. Still need to see Aquarion Logos, God Eater, Gangsta, and Overlord.

not watching dirty jokes?

Aikatsu 43-44

So...is Shion joining the main cast or not?

Gu7VVyJ.gif

OceanBlue

Finally caught up with Cinderella Girls, and I have to say that I actually like the plot setup in Cinderella Girls more than in the original, even though I liked the characters more individually in the original. The original had better animation and I had a lot of fun with the character stories, but a nice thing about CG is that character development is driven through stories within each team rather than small character vignettes. Although this makes individual characters stand out a lot less (poor Shimamu is neglected compared to Mio and Rin, while Chieri and Kanako are kinda the same character), it's probably easier for each team to frame the storyline through their team experiences rather than having 13 characters contextualizing the story at the same time.

It's a weird balance between character individuality and team personality. I wish I liked the CG idols as much as I do the originals, but I do like them enough to be interested in the story and I'm really enjoying the show. The show kinda lulled during the team episodes IMO (which is where I stopped), but now that they're all interacting as a whole it's pretty nice. Shimamu is the cutest.

Edit: Oh yeah Goripon's designs >>> *

Sterok

I'll figure out the answer when I hit the new op.

Aikatsu 45

So Shion is still with Otome and Sakura. Might bode well. Idols don't get much privacy. Aoi has everyone wrapped right around her fingers, while Kaede makes everyone her toy. Merciless. How did they do the Aikatsu stuff in the water park without equipment? Unless they have it stashed in there just because. I could believe that in this universe.

Crocodile

Little Witch Academia 2
Watched this a while ago but never got around to commenting. Loved it. Was pleasantly surprised that new characters were integrated well (<3 Amanda) while the old crew still got good screen time and development. Was probably a bit long in the tooth in some respects (or time just wasn't manged well enough in some spots) and it felt weird how the climax kind of had a start-stop-start aspect to it but I'm still glad I backed this. Dear TRIGGER: More of this and less of whatever else you're doing plz!

Food Wars 16
Joichiro is just a straight up sexy dude, no lie. I agree with others in that I see no way Soma beats him without like a time skip so Soma can seriously level up. Also fuck Erina, such a worthless character. The "she's in love with Soma's dad but doesn't know he's Soma's dad" thing is going to play out in some super annoying way - I just know it! Plus she still has like no personality. She can't even pull off the "I'm so fabulous" shtick in an entertaining way.

Ushio and Tora 3 & 4

More pretty standard but fun shonen. Kind of reminds me of Inuyasha but except with characters that are fun to be around. Glad at least one of the girls (I'm getting the sense she's actually the descendant of that priestess the demons were looking for and she might play a bigger role moving forward?) is clued in and I hope/assume the other follows soon. This seems like it would have been a hit on Toonami/in the West back in the day during the anime boom, I wonder why it never got a TV anime until now?

Gatchaman Crowds Insight (so far......)

So it feels like Rui has been holding the idiot ball this season? What did he expect when he handed over that notebook? I also get the point VAPE was trying to make and the surrounding debate but it feels like its being handled a bit clumsily. There should be more nuance to the conversation that what is currently being written. I also feel "I'm going to purposely use this tech for bad to show that it can be used for bad" is a childish viewpoint when the VAPE leader instead should be working with Rui to help prevent the abuse of the system he expects.

Also seems obvious to me (and I figure other watchers) that for the season finale, Gel is going to be all like "I will eliminate free will/thought because it leads to conflict" and the Gatchaman are going to be all like "Free will is good and what makes us human, the diversity of thought is a good thing" as blows are exchanged and sweet Iwasaki music blasts in the background :p

School Live (so far......)
Surprise hit of the season so far. Episodes 2 & 3 were legit great. Good job on comicblizzard for making that thread - it caught the attention of some passerbys. Just hoping this show doesn't crash and burn. Easy AOTS material if it doesn't shit the bed.

World Without Dirty Jokes (so far........)

Genie-Point-and-Jaw-Drop-Alladin.gif

I appreciate the write-ups on the latest episode by firehawk and Jarmel (just to be 1000% clear, you should know that erection/orgasm =/= consent). I was having trouble pulling my thoughts together after.........that. Like "escalated quickly" doesn't even come close to be being enough to describe what happened. I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me feel uncomfortable and I can't blame anyone who goes "fuck anime" after seeing that to be frank (though I feel those sort of people probably wouldn't have touched this show to begin with?). As for me, I went into this show expecting nothing and instead getting a good dose of quality humor and fun characters followed by maybe an insightful commentary on how fucked up treating sex as taboo can be? I don't know anything about the manga or if its all just gags and nonsense but there seems to actually be a chance for this show to have a message. I wonder if it will follow through.

On a side note, I guess I get are involved in illegal activities they may not what police around but people seem WAY TOO at ease with the concept of stalkers and dealing with them. Kajo's plans (both times) could have easily gone down way worse than they actually did.

So yeah, in my experience, spring seasons tend to be great and summer seasons lame for anime but this year it feels like the complete opposite. Interesting. I still need to catch up on Prison School (which still seems to be going at 1.5x speed? Boo-urns if so!) and GANGSTA.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Prisma Illya Zwei Herz - 01

Feeling so conflicted right now. On one hand, I'm happy with getting yuri so early in this installment. On the other,
I cannot stand HOW THEY'RE MAKING EVERYONE FALL FOR SHIROU. Illya fine... Chloe, sure since she's just a double of Illya anyway, Miyu... NO! NONONONONO! She belongs to Illya and Illya alone (with a dash of Chloe on the side). Is the prerequisite for creating a female character tied to the Fate series is to have them ultimately fall for this worthless piece of shit? Fuck you Shirou and the people who made you.

I'm going to bed. T_T

PK Gaming

Prison School's frenetic pacing really doesn't do some of the original scenes justice, but it has the advantage of shuffling the earlier material out of the way quickly, which admittedly wasn't that great to begin with. Prison School kicks into high gear in the following arc, when significantly more (female) characters are introduced and plot threads start spreading out. Oh and Kate.

11334590_767351353384279_439718434_n.jpg

Part 2 has Kate. Glorious, glorious Kate.

Prisma Illya Zwei Herz - 01

Feeling so conflicted right now. On one hand, I'm happy with getting yuri so early in this installment. On the other,
I cannot stand HOW THEY'RE MAKING EVERYONE FALL FOR SHIROU. Illya fine... Chloe, sure since she's just a double of Illya anyway, Miyu... NO! NONONONONO! She belongs to Illya and Illya alone (with a dash of Chloe on the side). Is the prerequisite for creating a female character tied to the Fate series is to have them ultimately fall for this worthless piece of shit? Fuck you Shirou and the people who made you.

I'm going to bed. T_T

If it helps at all,
there is a reason Miyu acts that way around Shirou.

Anyways, MiyuxIllya forever.

Prison School's frenetic pacing really doesn't do some of the original scenes justice, but it has the advantage of shuffling the earlier material out of the way quickly, which admittedly wasn't that great to begin with. Prison School kicks into high gear in the following arc, when significantly more (female) characters are introduced and plot threads start spreading out. Oh and Kate.

If it's 13 episodes Kate ain't gonna appear.

Which is a shame. Because you know,
Ouroboros

I'm placing my bets on
the rabbit girl.

Aside from the fact that she's the one you'd suspect the least she has also been doing some sketchy stuff lately. There's probably some vital clue in episode 1 that only makes sense if you know the context.

Rokka speculation
I didn't think about it until now. But now... it seems pretty easy to guess.
It can't be any of the new characters because... why would be the point? "oh noes this guy which was presented five minutes ago is the traitor!". The public wouldn't care, having a traitor is only an impact if the traitor is one of the known characters by the public. The three characters with more screen time are the MC, bunny princess and Fremy. I don't think it's Fremy because several characters already think she is a enemy already, there would be no twist ala "oh no she is bad!". The MC is the mc, the story follows him and he is a very straightforward guy. So we are left with the bunny Princess. But apart from this deduction by elimination, I can't remember anything that makes me think ill of her, so maybe I'm wrong.
But I'm interested in what means being "a traitor". Are they human or demon? Is a magic curse? Are they even concious that they are the traitor?

Bullshit.

You can argue about not so high budget but the high pacing is one of the best things.

G.ZZZ

The high pacing work perfect for the comedy scenes, for the dramatic ones, not so much. Chairman could use slower scenes, and gakuto could've used many more slow scenes too. The contrast between fast/slow would've been nice to emphasize those "serious" moments.

PK Gaming

If it's 13 episodes Kate ain't gonna appear.

Which is a shame. Because you know,
Ouroboros

Damn, you're right. Gonna put all my chips in a potential season 2.

Bullshit.

You can argue about not so high budget but the high pacing is one of the best things.

I guess. I mean going from the manga to the anime has been a bit jarring for me, but I guess that doesn't apply to everyone (moreso if you didn't read the manga).

Damn, you're right. Gonna put all my chips in a potential season 2.

I guess. I mean going from the manga to the anime has been a bit jarring for me, but I guess that doesn't apply to everyone (moreso if you didn't read the manga).

Well, if one trusts some opinions about the pacing the first pee scene would be the overlong highlight of episode 2 or even 3. That would be insanely stupid.

That's the problem with manga readers who think that an anime is just fanservice for the people who are already fans instead of something that should stand on it's own feet.

fertygo

Like I said, how you translate the pace of 4-5 page filled of big panel and little dialogue anyway. that's pretty much how the manga roll.

Like I said, how you translate the pace of 4-5 page filled of big panel and little dialogue anyway. that's pretty much how the manga roll.

Eh not necessarily. Big panels and little dialogue shouldn't automatically translate to a fast pace. You'd want to capture the proper atmosphere and, well, pace itself when adapting into an anime and it appears as though they failed to do this in some regards at least, like all the complaints concerning the chairman scenes.

Looking at Soma, that anime could easily cover a lot more stuff but really takes it time presenting the dishes and food orgasms and I like it for that, after all that's part of its specialty.

The high pacing work perfect for the comedy scenes, for the dramatic ones, not so much. Chairman could use slower scenes, and gakuto could've used many more slow scenes too. The contrast between fast/slow would've been nice to emphasize those "serious" moments.

We'll never know how much of an impact the scenes have when they're slower paced though, it's a shame.

But yeah, I agree with you, especially the part with the chairman shedding a single tear, I think it would've been more enjoyable if it was even a second longer.

Anyway, at this point in time the manga kinda jumps all over the place. Later on there are going to be gags which are multiple pages so those are probably going to be better, and as we know, we're all watching this to see those good parts animated.

Only problem is that we'll have to wait a few weeks before they're going to appear, The suspense is killing me, I think I'm turning into a fool.

image.php

I'm somewhat fine if they rush through Prison School for now if it really gets much better later on. Even comedies benefit majorly from character development as that gives context and gives everything more impact because every event will potentially matter down the line.

Currently there's hardly any of that and most jokes rely on their vulgarity and strong execution/direction. That'll be fine for now but it won't get praise from me down the line.

Razmos

Today I discovered that "Dead anime mom hair" is a thing
2551f712c5f4eb046ef710aaba3c01d7.jpg

I suppose seeing that style should raise an instant death flag, haha

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 126:

Okay, this episode was kind of really hilarious when you know how much they mis-stepped on some of the choices here. I can see where the lines of delineation came from via the internal logic, like for example having The Outers give the infant Hotaru back to a recovering Tomoe who now has amnesia, it is a nice neat warm and fuzzy end, but not the proper end. Indeed, I think somebody on staff had an actual clue of what was supposed to happen, The Outers decide to raise the kid on their own as a way of easing into retirement and shouldering a new duty.

Pluto is most decidedly not dead here and indeed she was brought back in Infinity to showcase one of the reliable powers the Sailor Guardians possess and that is reincarnation. Indeed the guardians though mechanics not are functionally immortal and when the body is terminated the spirit will find new flesh. Pluto is a strange case because she basically incarcerates backwards but that is the guardian of time for you. At any rate, these major plot choices don't really for anything the next season since that was the time even in the manga where The Outers were out of action. Though it did mean my favorite section from Dreams never got properly introduced. Still, once we get to Stars, which actually began at the late stage Dreams arc, the choices really hit the wall here.

Meanwhile the pink hellbeast has arisen, her pure heart restored and through contrived coincidence she get closure on Hotaru because I suppose there was no other way to handle this? I suppose it is nice and touching but as usual I found the ChibiUsa sub-plot to be boring and plodding. It is also worth noting that it was supposed to be Sailor Chibi Moon getting the big power up here in response to all of the Hotaru stuff but since they made her into a literal joke this season, that will have to wait.

Finally we come to Haura and Michiru and the closure they get for this arc. Indeed I actually rather liked this, it was the natural conclusion of the tensions that were being built up all season and the manga could never have a proper blow off since the plot and interaction of the two groups differed wildly. In this storyline The Outers finally come to blows with Sailor Moon over her actions and her very philosophy. What follows is actually one of the best character moments of the entire franchise as Moon acknowledges the flaws in her ideology but has no regrets about protecting Hotaru.

Things get a bit odd as the Inners attack and Sailor Moon fights back. Usually the storyline goes the hero takes the beating in order to stick to the lofty principles and is thus a better person. Here she takes some blows and then uses the Sailor Moon Super power to basically put them in their place and when that happens they immediately stop, kneel and finally acknowledge Usagi as the true Messiah and then fuck off to live the good life and to stay the hell away from Super S. This would be a fine wrap up to the season but we got one more episode to go through.

Allaur

Hi everyone. I lost a watchbet and watching Chaos Head now. I'm 4 episodes in and it looks like it's worst anime I've ever watched. I'm planing to avenge myself after this but I can't think about any really terrible anime... Can you help me with it?

Razmos

Hi everyone. I lost a watchbet and watching Chaos Head now. I'm 4 episodes in and it looks like it's worst anime I've ever watched. I'm planing to avenge myself after this but I can't think about any really terrible anime... Can you help me with it?
It.. urh... has a great opening theme?

It was one of my first ever anime so I have a slight bias towards it. I'd probably hate it if I was to watch it now.
I can't really think of any that are worse than it.

Recently, My Sister Is Unusual

Unless whoever you bet with is into that kind of thing, of course

Tuck

Rokka - 4
Flamie sucks. CG monsters suck. Pacing a tad slow.

Still enjoying the show though. Don't know how far they're gonna get in only 13 episodes, especially since they JUST got to what appears to be the main crux of the plot.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 127:

Right, I suppose this episode exists because they needed to fill out a certain number of episodes this season because it is pretty useless. The plot is basically retreading ChibiUsa leaving for the future once again and I suppose it does showcase her character growth as she is indeed much less of a brat this time around and actually likes the past. We get once last Daimon attack because we needed to give that oven closure as well and sadly this time we don't get the half a season rejoinder from ChibiUsa this time. I suppose another positive trait is Mamoru and Usagi got screen time as a couple, which was really rare at this point because certain people hated Tuxedo Mask and we got to see some of the old Inner team dynamics. Anyway a new dawn has arrived that portends a bright and dreamy future. So this was the Sailor Moon S season and I do agree with the consensus that this was the overall strongest season that had existed up to this point. The best one overall, that still remains to be seen.

Allaur

Recently, My Sister Is Unusual

Unless whoever you bet with is into that kind of thing, of course

I tried first episode myself - it's not as rage-inducing... Kiss x Sis will probably be worse, but it's not enough...

I remembered about "Girl Friends" show which was not from so long ago, but may be someone know somethind worse than this.

Jintor

I tried first episode myself - it's not as rage-inducing... Kiss x Sis will probably be worse, but it's not enough...

I remembered about "Girl Friends" show which was not from so long ago, but may be someone know somethind worse than this.

what's worse, a straight up bad show or a show that is made well but that is otherwise bad? (why do you have such cool design oreimo, why)

personally i deem sao worse, but i guess i watched more of it; i dropped chaos:head after one ep

Allaur

what's worse, a straight up bad show or a show that is made well but that is otherwise bad? (why do you have such cool design oreimo, why)

personally i deem sao worse, but i guess i watched more of it; i dropped chaos:head after one ep

I need a "straight up bad show" - you can enjoy Oreimo due to Kuroneko and Ayase - and there is no any enjoyment in Chaos Head, just really terrible characters (I want to kill MC myself).

Girl Friend Beta? Nothing wrong with that show :p

Really?) I remember that nothing (like at all) happened in first chapter and there was that terrible accent)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Dragonauts is bad and boring with the most emo antagonist ever.

Pooya

God Eater - 3

Lmao, this show. Ufotable going all in lewd too, Alisa that stronk female lead. smh. Her outfit is bad in the game too, but they don't zoom in on it in every scene and it still isn't this bad. Oh and that fight scene with MC...

With that said action is cool, so yeah I watch this for trash entertainment.

I've been occupied with Dragon's Dogma for the last few days and haven't watched a single episode of anime. Now that I've finally finished it, I'm gonna take a nice break from it before starting NG+. If you haven't played DD before, give it a try. It's an amazing game with quite a bit of Berserk inspiration!

----

Shimoneta 4

Yo DAMN. What an amazing episode. Anna got
turned out by a kiss and is now set on the path to becoming a psychotic nympho. Well, at least until that burning desire is quelled. Gotdamn that apartment scene was crazy. Jesus Christ at her leaving him saliva-filled letters. Anna was pretty much leaking from both mouths.

I can't recall any of the characters names but Anna at the moment, but the reactions from terrorist chick and artist chick were great. Also, wow at that after credits scene. Anna has truly lost it. Her mother on some more BS too with that chastity belt nonsense.

And it can't be stated enough, but the music is really great.

GATE 4

Ugh, earth nations are definitely gonna fuck up this other world.

Pretty good episode. Not much happened, but it was a nice little break from the action thus far. These three girls look like a setup for a harem, but maybe I'm just looking too much into it. Rory still the best though.

----

Welp, I'm super sleepy all of a sudden. Will catch up on all the other shows later on in the day.

RahXephon - Complete TV Series

This is a bit of a tough one. Unfortunately I have to say that this could've been great but my lacking investment into any of the characters resulted in a hardly engaging story to follow.

The direction was on average quite good, with some standout episodes, ep19 'Blue Friend' certainly being one of them. (Yet, I also think it was lacking in certain regards but more to that later.) S.th. similar can be said about the animation quality. Mechanical design was pretty darn great and characters looked good and distinct too, for the most part. OST wasn't the most remarkable to me but still good. Production quality certainly wasn't a problem of RahXephon.

However, while I did appreciate a bunch of the ideas and themes within this story, I'm afraid that the execution thereof was lacking somewhat. Character writing is even worse in that regard.

Let's look at one of this major theme surrounding this show: 'music'. Having strong entities impact the world with music or singing reminded me of the Simarillion and creating of the world that middle earth belongs to, though this kind of concept existed be forehand already. Anyways, I felt like that's an interesting theme to build elements in your story around. However, there were several times, usually when Quon sings her tunes, where it just felt sort of comical, almost laughable. Great direction could've allowed these scenes to actually work out but the way it was done here certainly didn't feel right to me.

Now the story is, unsurprisingly, another coming-of-age story, plenty reminiscent of e.g. Evangelion, which I'll use as comparison here and there as I'm not to well versed in other mecha. There's another ancient race besides the humans, the Mulians, who've got their mechas (Dolems) and they're intent to bring some kind of reforging of the world. You've also got Terra instead of NERV and so on and so forth. There's a lot of parallels to be drawn, to Evangelion but surely plenty other mecha anime. Where RahXephon certainly falls short in front of Evangelion though, is the characterization as it couldn't for the life of it manage to make me empathize with Ayato or Haruka properly, the two most important characters in the show. Sure, they and most everyone else played their role and moved the plot forward but that's it. I think it mostly comes down to a lack of details in behavior etc. that they felt flat. The one character that seemed to exhibit such things was Johji Futagami (the 'reporter') and was easily the most interesting and fun to follow person. I even think the corner stones of Ayato's and Haruka's relationship are extremely interesting, as this time dilation and its effects on this couple have so much interesting potential. However, it's mostly squandered as the show tries to be cryptic and maintain the 'mystery' concerning these two until the very end, instead of really working with it. The entire time I was hoping to get the flashback that would show the past between the two and would allow me to be a bit more invested in them but...while it did come eventually, it was the god damn epilogue of the last episode. And fuck me, if it wasn't the single moment where both seemed the most human and relatable. Right at the end where it's too late >_________<

Overall this show tries to keep your interest by hiding the mystery behind the majority of its characters until late down the line. I hate this kind of storytelling, especially when it makes for weirdly cryptic and almost nonsensical dialogue, solely to keep the audience guessing. So while the show then eventually reveals that, yes, almost everyone has an important connection to one another, you can't really give a fuck because you don't actually care for most of the characters. Dennou Coil btw. managed to upheld mysteries concerning some characters up to the end while having them feel like very relatable human beings on top.

Ayato also kind of flip flopped too often between complete identity crisis and being confident and knowing what he wants, which made it just the harder to pinpoint who he actually is. To make matters worse, I couldn't stand the voice acting for him. The screaming in particular just seemed unnatural and I couldn't help but notice that every time.

So yeh, I somewhat consider this show wasted potential. Could've been pretty great but like this I can only give it a 6 or 7/10.

Ascheroth

Hm, Mahou Sensou maybe?
Horrible pacing, horrible characters and probably the most stupid reason for how the main character gets his power and comes into contact with the 'unknown world' I've ever seen.
Though I don't know how it holds up in the end, I couldn't finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom