• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellraider

God Eater is the biggest waste of money and talent in the last five years. And here I thought ufotable was gonna treat it more like, well, what it actually deserved.

God Eater is the biggest waste of money and talent in the last five years. And here I thought ufotable was gonna treat it more like, well, what it actually deserved.

It boggles me why they're deciding to put all this effort on something that basically Attack on Titan with extra edge.

There has to be some niche manga or game out there that deserves it more right?

Shouta

Rokka is definitely one of my surprises of the season. It has the makings of a forgettable run of the mill fantasy anime, and the story has been just that. But the main character has been fairly entertaining. I don't know what wha happened in Japan recently but there seems to have been a renaissance of rogue character leads. We had Chaika dude, then Bahamut, now this guy.

The plot is pretty by the numbers but the story is good. The setting is also fantastic. It's not very often you get to see a fantasy world that has a Central/South American aesthetic in an anime. They even spend the time explaining the world so we get an idea of what it's like. It even justifies Nachetanya's bunny outfit which would just be normal costume that isn't explained in any other anime, lol. The cast so far feels a shade different from the standard fare too despite the base tropes to each.

It boggles me why they're deciding to put all this effort on something that basically Attack on Titan with extra edge.

God Eater and Attack on Titan weren't all that far off from each other originally. Sept 2009 for the start of Attack on Titan and Feb 2010 for the first GE game. The games were popular and ufotable produced a short OVA at the same time AoT actually released too, lol. They probably had it in the pipe line for awhile and decided they had time to do it now.

Cornbread78

Working S1, ep. 4-6:
Still continues to be pretty funny. Got a ton of back-story on the group os sisters he has around the house. Drunk sister is the best, (for comedic reasons obviously) lol. I will break here for today and move onto something different.

3Kaze

Yeah, the God Eater series only sold 2.2 million copies in Japan with two games and two expansions. What a waste of money for Bandai Visual.

cajunator

Banned
4 weeks into the season and the two best shows I've seen so far are Gate and Rokka no Yuusha from the new stuff. Ushio & Tora and DBZ Super are fun as well. Prison School is OK for an adaptation but it feels like they're moving at break neck speeds. Robot Girls Z Plus is fun but short. Still need to see Aquarion Logos, God Eater, Gangsta, and Overlord.

Gate is pretty awesome so far. Especially now that Rory showed up.
Soma is still the best show still running.

Prisma Illya 2wei OVA

UNrOLJP.jpg

Lol you are so cute!

Little Witch Academia 2
Watched this a while ago but never got around to commenting. Loved it. Was pleasantly surprised that new characters were integrated well (<3 Amanda) while the old crew still got good screen time and development. Was probably a bit long in the tooth in some respects (or time just wasn't manged well enough in some spots) and it felt weird how the climax kind of had a start-stop-start aspect to it but I'm still glad I backed this. Dear TRIGGER: More of this and less of whatever else you're doing plz!

Food Wars 16
Joichiro is just a straight up sexy dude, no lie. I agree with others in that I see no way Soma beats him without like a time skip so Soma can seriously level up. Also fuck Erina, such a worthless character. The "she's in love with Soma's dad but doesn't know he's Soma's dad" thing is going to play out in some super annoying way - I just know it! Plus she still has like no personality. She can't even pull off the "I'm so fabulous" shtick in an entertaining way.

LWA2 is pretty good. If it were to be a series I would want it to be like Tweeny Witches and not anything more grandiose to keep quality up.

Prisma Illya Zwei Herz - 01

Feeling so conflicted right now. On one hand, I'm happy with getting yuri so early in this installment. On the other,
I cannot stand HOW THEY'RE MAKING EVERYONE FALL FOR SHIROU. Illya fine... Chloe, sure since she's just a double of Illya anyway, Miyu... NO! NONONONONO! She belongs to Illya and Illya alone (with a dash of Chloe on the side). Is the prerequisite for creating a female character tied to the Fate series is to have them ultimately fall for this worthless piece of shit? Fuck you Shirou and the people who made you.

I'm going to bed. T_T

Shirou ruins EVERYTHING buddy. It is what it is. Sadly the Fate Universe seems to like that bastard. Who knows why?

Today I discovered that "Dead anime mom hair" is a thing
2551f712c5f4eb046ef710aaba3c01d7.jpg

I suppose seeing that style should raise an instant death flag, haha

Oh shit youre right. I never noticed this trend! Except Nadeshiko in CCS was a really lovely girl with long silvery hair. she was quite different.
What shows are those? I dont recognize them all.

Hi everyone. I lost a watchbet and watching Chaos Head now. I'm 4 episodes in and it looks like it's worst anime I've ever watched. I'm planing to avenge myself after this but I can't think about any really terrible anime... Can you help me with it?

Oh damn. I kinda liked Chaos Head because it was hilariously bad, but ImoCho is pretty awful. But if you want something worse hmm. Sword art Online is pretty terrible. But even that has SOME redeeming qualities. I cant really think of something THAT bad either.

JulianImp

The plot is pretty by the numbers but the story is good. The setting is also fantastic. It's not very often you get to see a fantasy world that has a Central/South American aesthetic in an anime. They even spend the time explaining the world so we get an idea of what it's like. It even justifies Nachetanya's bunny outfit which would just be normal costume that isn't explained in any other anime, lol. The cast so far feels a shade different from the standard fare too despite the base tropes to each.

However, it looks like our heroes will be stuck in the Peninsula of Evil due to that mist barrier thing, so we're unlikely to see more of the mesoamerican civilization. Seeing power struggles, cities that ally with the fiends to overthrow bigger cities that'd often seize anyone weaker than themselves and other things would be a lot cooler.

As it stands right now, it seems like a generic story with the mesoamerican cities and art slapped on top of it at the last second. With their names and looks, all seven braves feel like they'd fit better in a generic fantasy setting than in a mesoamerican one, and it looks like all that was lifted from those cultures was the architecture and clothing style (which is mostly used by side characters and extras only).

Hellraider

Yeah, the God Eater series only sold 2.2 million copies in Japan with two games and two expansions. What a waste of money for Bandai Visual.

It's not a waste of money in the sense that it won't make money. It's a waste of money because there are hundreds of properties that deserve such treatment, yet GE is the one that gets it.

phaze

Oh shit youre right. I never noticed this trend! Except Nadeshiko in CCS was a really lovely girl with long silvery hair. she was quite different.
What shows are those? I dont recognize them all.

Clockwise from top left: AoT, FMA, Tokyo Ghoul, dunno.

Steins;Gate 17

lulz.
Mayuri x Death ship is canon Okabe.
Deal with it.

edit: I'm getting more and more confused by the constant changes
to the timeline. Wouldn't getting rid of all the D-mails mean the return to the very first world line ? The one where Makise dies ? But then Okabe never really gave that event a thought since ep 2, so maybe he just doesn't realise it yet.

Defuser

It's not a waste of money in the sense that it won't make money. It's a waste of money because there are hundreds of properties that deserve such treatment, yet GE is the one that gets it.
lol deserves such treatment...
Like what out of their portfolio in recent? Dark Souls? Tekken? Ace Combat?

Gundam,Tales and Digimon obviously no need to be said since they already have animes.

GE is a logical step for them since it's a successful series for them and their designs are anime.

Shouta

However, it looks like our heroes will be stuck in the Peninsula of Evil due to that mist barrier thing, so we're unlikely to see more of the mesoamerican civilization. Seeing power struggles, cities that ally with the fiends to overthrow bigger cities that'd often seize anyone weaker than themselves and other things would be a lot cooler.

As it stands right now, it seems like a generic story with the mesoamerican cities and art slapped on top of it at the last second. With their names and looks, all seven braves feel like they'd fit better in a generic fantasy setting than in a mesoamerican one, and it looks like all that was lifted from those cultures was the architecture and clothing style (which is mostly used by side characters and extras only).

I don't think they need to explore Mesoamerican civilization like that right away. It'd be nice but ultimately, I don't think you need to get into the state of the world for a fantasy series like this to work. The focus on a Demon King is more than enough and I think just introducing all the other stuff would negatively impact the series kind of like how it did for Bahamut.

And I think that it's totally fine that it's just the Mesoamerican aesthetic than actually one definitely based there. It'd be a pretty different series if they stayed true to it. It's just nice to get away from the usual European themed fantasy series. We have Arslan from last season and now Rokka for different flavors.

3Kaze

They deserve treatment such as production hell? It's quite an unfortunate project so far. UBW is the one ufotable wasted all their resources for. Aniplex and Bandai Visual are the only companies willing to give them projects nowadays, and I'm not sure the old series Hirao directed, like Futakoi Alternative, Manabi Straight are any more interesting, although Majocco was good.

Hellraider

lol deserves such treatment...
Like what out of their portfolio in recent? Dark Souls? Tekken? Ace Combat?

Gundam,Tales and Digimon obviously no need to be said since they already have animes.

GE is a logical step for them since it's a successful series for them and their designs are anime.

Why are you confusing creative criticism with business criticism? I'm not saying that Bandai's money aren't worth spent on this. I have been open about expecting a hefty push for the videogame series from this adaptation. What I'm saying is that we live in a world where we still don't have a, say, 20th Century Boys anime yet God Eater has one with fucktons of yen for a budget.

Cornbread78

5 Centimeters per Second:
tumblr_mkf3a339771s4tbofo1_500.gif

As promised, I just finished the last part of this show. The most impressive thing with this anime is it's strong sense of art and imagery in its presentation. Some scenes, especially in the "Cosmonaut" short are simply breathtaking (see gif) In addition to the imagery, the use of music is amazing; not just in the in the background, but also in smaller details like the lyrics to songs while the the characters are in stores. All of the shorts included focus on romance and love, however, it's not the type or love and romance to make you smile and fill your heart with warmth. The focus is on the pain and suffering involved with love. It's that undertone of saddness that carries through the anime and utilizes the aformentioned strong imagery and background music to help carry along that message. The anime is beautiful, but painful; certainly an accurate portrayal of love...

5 Centimeters Per Second is incredible.

Makoto Shinkai is among the best in the business.

5cm/s may just be my favorite movie overall, it's certainly up there in the top 5. Garden of Words is pretty good.

The rest though...just lacking too much in some regards.

His art style and lighting really is something else though.

Gangsta 1-4
Pretty fun show giving me vibes of Black Lagoon, though the characters seem to be a bit more of a mix of justice and greed than Black Lagoon

Shirayuki 04

So I guess she does rely on others once in a while. She was able to pass the exam with the help of Zen. Also just like that, a new competitor for her heart has appeared, although this one is a few years younger aha.

Pillow Boys 03

So this weeks pillow boy is a musician, except when he plays his violin no sound comes out. I'm not kidding. He tells you to listen to his song but there isn't a song. Pillow Boys are weirdos. The only sound this episode is Pillow Boy #3's voice.

The lack of sounds was creepy before but now it's just really weird. Like this will probably escalate into Pillow Boy 07, the Charismatic Serial Killer and Pillow Boy 09 the Handsome and Benevolent Dictator.

Also if you rearrange the scenes you can make it sound like crimes are going to happen, this works with the last two episodes as well -

I don't understand fujoshis and I don't understand Pillow Boys.

I'm fairly stunned that basically starting on episode 51 of D. Gray Man, it actually got good. Why did they wait 50 episodes to only adapt the manga. Anime only stuff was terrible.

The filler they used was basically to fill up enough content to make 103 episodes in total I guess. Some of the filler are from side stories that aren't in the manga. Anyway starting from episode 51 is when things start getting really good and something happens to a certain individual that some people get frustrated about.

Pillow Boys 03

So this weeks pillow boy is a musician, except when he plays his violin no sound comes out. I'm not kidding. He tells you to listen to his song but there isn't a song. Pillow Boys are weirdos. The only sound this episode is Pillow Boy #3's voice.

The lack of sounds was creepy before but now it's just really weird. Like this will probably escalate into Pillow Boy 07, the Charismatic Serial Killer and Pillow Boy 09 the Handsome and Benevolent Dictator.

Also if you rearrange the scenes you can make it sound like crimes are going to happen, this works with the last two episodes as well -

I don't understand fujoshis and I don't understand Pillow Boys.

What did you think about the spider who cockblocked us? That was my favorite part.

Rainy

Banned
Rokka no Yuusha 3

What's the proper spelling of her name? Flamie, Fremy, Flemie....

Anyway I knew that fight would break out at the end, things are getting interesting!

Cornbread78

What the hell is Crunchyroll's problem? Just liek they used to do with Danmachi, they loaded Actually, I am, but it is in Spanish subtitles. Good going Crunchy... Can I watch it now?

Wait, not it is in English, but it's all blurry, this is funny..

still horrible...

Sterok

Aikatsu 47-50

Can someone please knock Mizuki down a peg? Really needs to happen sooner than later. No, her collapsing doesn't count. Masquerade was revealed faster than I thought. Took Ichigo long enough to figure things out. Aoi sure is getting a lot of attention when you'd think the focus would be on Ichigo and Mizuki. Didn't expect Kaede to become such a big influence on Ichigo. To the greatness of America. Now I want an American arc. Kind of sneaky of Ichigo to not talk to Aoi or even her own mother. Mizuki remains on top. Meh. Starlight's top two are out. There are several directions I could see this going. So if Soleil and Tristar are basically kaput, does that make Powa Powa Puririn the top unit at Starlight? Because that's hilarious.

Solid first season. I still don't get the appeal of idol stuff, but I do like CG dancing. It was kind of weak, but I heard it gets better in later seasons. Characters were all surprisingly solid. Of the secondary characters Johnny was easily the best. Always entertaining, and Engrish is always a good thing. Mizuki was the hard working idol (heh) everyone strived to be. She did her job. Kaede was cool, but didn't get much focus and ended up being kind of flat for someone of such importance. Sakura was cute, but sort of a non-factor compared to everyone else. Yurika somehow managed to keep her vampire schtick entertaining throughout. Otome took a bit to grow on me, but she's a better airhead than Ichigo. Ran kind of got screwed despite being the tritagonist. Despite getting lots of screentime she had much less focus than Aoi. But she made good use of what she got, and her stint at Tristar did good for her.

Aoi was the reason I even bothered to watch this. She's got a really nice design. As a character the idol professor was always my favorite. Between research, acting, managing, and everything else she did, she was the top character by far from start to end. Most key to this was Ichigo. I'm a sucker for this kind of dynamic. Ichigo was a surprisingly solid protagonist. She doesn't have anything immediately endearing to me at first, but despite being fairly typical it was easy to root for her seeing how she worked hard and was good at motivating others. She especially got along well with everyone. Overall, a strong cast.

But while the immediate questions are finished, there's plenty more to answer. How long will Ichigo stay in America? Will Aoi stay faithful, or will she find a new lover? Will Ran finally get some good luck coming her way? Can Otome lead her unit to stardom? Does Yurika have anything other than being a vampire? Can Sakura keep up with her senpais? Will Kaede ever get some proper development? What is Mizuki really planning? Will Shion get promoted, or will she be stuck in the background? Will Hikari actually do anything besides randomly show up and pretend she's important? All that and more to come soon.

javac

I really didn't like The Garden of Words at all, almost felt angry that I bought it and watched it, didn't even care for the animation *shakes head at the memories*

Rainy

Banned
Rokka no Yuusha 4

Interesting turn of events. Wow I wonder who they will turn on....

Flemie or Adlet of course!

On the traitor situation...
for some reason I want to say it's the princess.

Also the animation seems pretty terrible in this show. Like damn bruh.

Saudades

I've always kept 5 Centimeters per Second as a personal favorite, seeing how it hit me at just the right time in my life when I watched it that I could empathise so much with the main character. Tho I did remember being bored to sleep the first time I watch it, so I know it's not above criticism.
Garden of Words is just kinda not my thing somehow, but I admit it is Shinkai at the top of his art/animation game.

Cornbread78

Actually, I am ep. 4:
Another fun episode. Looks like we'll get another reveal soon, but this one was just plain fun to watch. Funny to watch all the class reps faces and reactions in the hallway sequence. Good stuff.

Sterok

Aikatsu 51

Now sure how to rank the new op. New ed isn't as good though. Timeskip was my guess. Seems that Shion got promoted to Sakura level. And Aoi to protagonist. I am perfectly okay with this. So Puririn did end up on top. Otome sure lucked out. Though if she's on top I don't get why Aoi is the one starring for Starlight. Rival school. Could go multiple places. Hopefully the cards still have plenty of variety. Seira is eh for now, but Kii is neat. Mizuki is a traitor. And of course Ichigo has to show up to steal Aoi's thunder. Wouldn't be complete without her.

Lovely Complex 1

Man what a "feel good" show. The duo is so likeable, and the fact that both of them have the same complex as each other, along with their personalities makes them a total match. Can't wait to watch more.

cajunator

Banned
Clockwise from top left: AoT, FMA, Tokyo Ghoul, dunno.

Steins;Gate 17

lulz.
Mayuri x Death ship is canon Okabe.
Deal with it.

edit: I'm getting more and more confused by the constant changes
to the timeline. Wouldn't getting rid of all the D-mails mean the return to the very first world line ? The one where Makise dies ? But then Okabe never really gave that event a thought since ep 2, so maybe he just doesn't realise it yet.

Yup. That realization is about to hit like a ton of bricks.

Non Non Biyori Repeat - 04

Great episode. Renge is such an interestingly odd character, whatever she's up to is fun to follow, I could watch her for days.
I had a big dumb smile during her whole teru-teru adventure and when she took care of her little tadpoles.
This scene.. the combination of the soundtrack and her just standing there slayed me ;_;

Cornbread78

Lovely Complex 1

Man what a "feel good" show. The duo is so likeable, and the fact that both of them have the same complex as each other, along with their personalities makes them a total match. Can't wait to watch more.

There is some minor drama to it at times, but that is a good representation of them and the feeling you get throughout.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 04
They mashed up a early chapter and chapter 50/60 chapters latter together this episode, but they made it work. It also works on the Mangaka's love of using the same frames from previous chapters and then changes the story of the chapter greatly. Also Anime only viewers get the first glimpse at the best character ever Akane.

What are people's thoughts on Overlord?

I just checked the first two episodes of the show and.. It's alright, the Opening is great. I kinda wished it didn't go for the stupid "Help I'm trapped in a MMO trope" like sword art and log horizon did

There is some minor drama to it at times, but that is a good representation of them and the feeling you get throughout.

Just finished episode 2, the dude's ex showed up and now right at the end some dude just came running and hugged the girl. Yup. I can totally see the drama already LMFAO.

Nonetheless, the show so far has been pretty great. I can kinda relate to the guy since I am short too. It's tougher to find women since they obviously prefer taller guys, no matter how fit I am, how much I work out, or how much money I make, etc. height is something that won't change lol. I guess I am liking the show because of a complex that I too have always had since I was young.

Gate continues to surprised me.

the political and minor daily life (trading, clothes, etc) is really interesting. I really thought the show is just going to be war between these two realms

the building of everday life and how the show is taking it step by step is fascinating

There is one thing in Rokka 4 that I didn't like. The protagonist fought hard to be able to make a "cease fire" agreement between both sides, and I thought thanks to that Fremy would be allowed to explain her point of view, her reasons of why she killed some Braves. But somehow they let it go for now. Pretty unrealistic, and it was done that way for just "dramatic reasons", in other words to explain herself when said explanation can have a bigger dramatic impact or suppose a narrative twist.

Ascheroth

What are people's thoughts on Overlord?

I just checked the first two episodes of the show and.. It's alright, the Opening is great. I kinda wished it didn't go for the stupid "Help I'm trapped in a MMO trope" like sword art and log horizon did

You should definitely watch episode 3 then. The first two episodes are basically a rather slow prologue. It's episode 3 where the action starts and Momonga actually interacts with people other then his subordinates. And he actually acts like a proper Overlord.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa - 04

The humor in this has been hit or miss for me, but I think it's been watchable so far. I hope that pink haired one will make it more interesting for me. Her little trick in this episode was entertaining enough.
There are way more facial expressions in this than I thought.

Raxus

So anime GAF. I decided to finally buckle down and watch Revolutionary Girl Utena. I just have a quick question. Sub or Dub?

Sterok

Shirayukihime 4

Honest herbalist work, mildly poisonous flowers, child prodigy, and revelation of the past. Basically more shoujo stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom