• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the order of the Monogatari series?

I've only seen Bakemonogatari which was some time ago and just stopped there for some reason. I finally decided I want to catch up with the series since there's no better time than now.

I've only seen Bakemonogatari and just stopped there for some reason. I finally decided to catch with the series since there's no better time than now.

Bakemonogatari
[Kizumonogatari... ha ha ha]
Nisemonogatari
Nekomonogatari (Black)
Monogatari Series Second Season
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari (comes out in October)

Tuck

Snow White - 4
Decent episode. MC is clearly very intelligent/good at what she does. Show continues to be a bit hamfisted with the emotional stuff but its not too cringeworthy. Don't like the kid and his terrible VA.

John Blade

Yup.
my biggest gripe is not enough alone time for the leads. The moments are so sweet when they do happen.

I start to notice this but do you feel this show introduction kinda bait you to think this will be a romance style show where Aoi and Kaoru will try to live together and try to work out from the difficult time in they relationship? I start to notice that the 1st 3 episodes of this show is well written and might be the major strength of the early part of the show. In a way, they might able to remove the comedic stuff you see as of now and this show might be better in some ways. You're right the show feel like it doesn't know if it want to comedy or a romance anime. I guess, the hype of comedy romance and how many was make at that time, make the developer want to copy it but still want to try to be a bit different. That's my take of this as of now. I guess this will change when I keep on watching the show.

Jarmel

Banned
So I didn't really take detailed notes this con, Otakon, as it seemed others were doing it already and in a better manner. I'll still post the stuff in case people don't upload their notes for whatever bullshit reason. The Garo Animation panel had at least two people taking detailed notes...

Lex Lang Panel-

-Interesting difference between anime and western animation dubbing. In western animation, the voice actor has seen the script multiple days in advance and they do a whole read-through before they start recording. For anime, it's a much more disjointed recording process as they depend more heavily on the voice director for cues.

-1600 people tried out for the Han Solo VA role (for LucasArts) from four different cities that kept getting culled until the remaining four were reading lines over the phone to executives.

Garo Funimation Panel-
vEVdPcAJAj08YAz3_Bt60vUhzwSc6f0ZdrE9d734It4
-Park: I don't have a preference for voicing male or female characters. I am a female though...Boys are generally more straight forward so I try to see it through their eyes and be honest with their emotions. With a female, I try to hold it back a bit (somewhere I hear Imaishi screaming).

-Why was CG armor used? Hayashi: When it comes down to it, time. However there is a metallic gleam that you can do with CGI to make the armor stand out. Doing things like a 360 pan, that is really hard to do in 2D.

-Romi's favorite show she worked on was Adventure Time. "I love Adventure Time"

-Medieval period wasn't exactly determined by the writer but it just seemed like a good fit based off the script

-The Garo movie will have Ema in it and she is voicing a new character in season 2. (From what I've been able to gleam, the movie is a sequel to the first season. I asked the translator after the panel, as I hadn't gone to the earlier Mappa panel, and he flat out said it was a sequel.)

Romi Park Q&A-
-Park: You all are so cute.
Someone in the audience: You're cuter
Park: I know.

-Q:Did being Korean affect getting into the VA industry?
A:No, but it did lead me to having an identity crisis when I was a teenager.

-Q:How do you separate the characters you play?
A:I don't know. I really don't.

-She tried out for a female part in Turn A but got a boy role. Didn't feel any pressure until someone pointed it out that Gundam MC had never been voiced by a female before. She looked at Ogawa for Shinji as a reference but ended up ignoring it and realized each role and director are different.

-Any difference between Brotherhood and 03? No, but she was a rookie at the time in 03 so the VAs around her helped out. The reverse was the case in Brotherhood as she and Kugimiya were the experienced VAs and had to help the newbies.

-Tomino is insane. She was recording a line but he apparently didn't like it and slammed his hands down and ripped the door open and did a recreation of how to do the scene with hand motions. He apparently does stuff like this a lot.

-What would you do if you woke in an anime universe? She acts this out on stage: literally checks her boobs and crotch as if she had changed sexes.

-Part of a temp agency right now.

-Korean things that irritated you? Park: I had a Korean bento and everybody ended up stealing my lunch so I ended up with a Japanese bento anyway from trading.

-Scene where Loran hits his crotch and she did it one way, all the males did were saying she did it wrong. Tomino bursts into the room again and tried to correct her and acts it all out.
-Q:The role for Ragyo required a lot of moaning, was it different than your usual recording process?
A:I was making Satsuki moan.

-Park: If I lose an audition, I might check a role and see who it is doing it and be like "Oh this guy? hmp" (Real life Zuka)

-Nina scene is when she really snapped into the Ed role. Thought it was the best scene she ever had done and the recording director was like "Do it again" and she was like "huh? Huh? HUH?". She ended up protesting and he retorted that it was excellent, possibly the best he's ever heard but it's too raw. The scene was already dramatic visually and he felt that her initial recording would have made it almost melodramatic.

-(It seemed like she knew some level of English as she was following along to some extent with some of the questions asked. She also would blurt out lines like "Come on!", in a bring it on sort of manner, to the audience when they started asking questions. She also loved acting out Tomino's mannerisms and was really energetic in general.)
Garo Animation Panel-

-Maruyama: Thought Takei's natural artstyle would help greatly with the project. Was really impressed with his work from Shaman King.

-Kubo: When becoming a horror, it's a karmic thing so tried to incorporate who the human was before. Yes it's strange for a producer to do designs on a show but Maruyama gave the go ahead.

-Didn't take too long to design the Garo armors as they had references from the TV series. It's a bit different due to being an anime so it took a little time to find that balance.

- Maruyama: Ms.Kobayashi is a talented writer and I worked with her before. The Inquisition aspect lead to Medieval Europe as a setting.

-*Looking at storyboards for episode 17* Maruyama: Some directors like having motion in their storyboards. He thinks Hayashi has a good balance. (This is kinda weird as they were implying that Hayashi did the storyboards for episode 17)

-For the CG armor segments, many were drawn in 2D then animated in CGI.

-Producers pushed for Ema to be older while Takei wanted her younger.

-German was designed to be younger and his relationship with Leon is supposed to be like a brother. (This makes a shit load of sense and helps justify some of German's reactions during the show)

-Details for S2 in August at Comiket (Although from other sources, we know there's a female lead and it takes place in the Heian period).

-(Was pretty cool seeing the earlier animations for the Leon/Alphonse fight in ep 17.)

Harusame

Hibike! Euphonium ~ Episode 1-13

So I just did a marathon through this series, and I really do have to say I really enjoyed this anime. I haven't watched to much lately...actually make that this whole year, but I was thoroughly amazed and encapsulated by the story, characters and music. One reason as to why this anime connected to me was that I participated in my High School's Jazz Band playing piano, so I really did understand the struggles and efforts that the characters encountered throughout the story. Hopefully, they will continue the story with a second season!

Gakkou Gurashi ~ Episode 1-3

A friend introduced me to this anime without telling me first hand on what it was, so I came into this anime with no prior knowledge about what it was. Throughout the first episode, my initial thoughts were that "okay, this seems like a decent slice-of-life/comedy school anime," but when I was quite stunned and speechless when I got to the credits. Episode's 2 and 3 were great, but I can't seem to grasp what I'm supposed to feel when watching this anime...it's just a mix of emotions. I will definitely continue watching.

Himouto! Umaru-chan ~ Episodes 1-3

Having watched the first three episodes, it is quite entertaining. Hilarious, yet charming at the same time. So far, my after thoughts would be that, if I had a younger sister such as Umaru-chan, I...would not be sure what to do.

ibyea

Banned
I was thinking about watching the Akagi Live Action TV Drama because Akagi is great but episodes are an hour long, so I probably won't. Maybe I should just read the manga. I really hope there's another Fukumoto adaptation one day, I would love Strongest Man Kurosawa.

I watched the first episode and it's actually pretty decent, unlike the Death Note adaptation.

Jintor

-(It seemed like she knew some level of English as she was following along to some extent with some of the questions asked. She also would blurt out lines like "Come on!", in a bring it on sort of manner, to the audience when they started asking questions.

I'm not sure where, but somewhere along the line Japanese kids are taught to attract attention in English the best way is to say "COME ON" really loudly and gesture

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not sure where, but somewhere along the line Japanese kids are taught to attract attention in English the best way is to say "COME ON" really loudly and gesture

It wasn't just that, you could tell she had at least some sort of rough understanding.

It was funny as hell though.

cajunator

Banned
I start to notice this but do you feel this show introduction kinda bait you to think this will be a romance style show where Aoi and Kaoru will try to live together and try to work out from the difficult time in they relationship? I start to notice that the 1st 3 episodes of this show is well written and might be the major strength of the early part of the show. In a way, they might able to remove the comedic stuff you see as of now and this show might be better in some ways. You're right the show feel like it doesn't know if it want to comedy or a romance anime. I guess, the hype of comedy romance and how many was make at that time, make the developer want to copy it but still want to try to be a bit different. That's my take of this as of now. I guess this will change when I keep on watching the show.

Yeah it was trying to meet the trends of the day with mixed results.
Enishi actually deals more with the friendships in the show than with romance.

Jintor

It wasn't just that, you could tell she had at least some sort of rough understanding.

It was funny as hell though.

i'd hope after the mandatory english learning in JHS-HS a japanese adult would be able to vaguely follow the thread of english questions :(

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari!! Ep. 2-7
Damn, how did I skip this one over the spring? This show is just so damn cute and fun. The fire scene was pretty intense and I wasn't expecting it to be that way, but it was a great way to solve the issue with Yamada's friends. Then that Plastic wrap scene with suna was hilarious, then finally, the "you were so cool Takeo" judo match. The show really is a bunch of feel good fun for the bug goof and Suna continues to be best bro.

Thanks, I guess I'll watch Nisemonogatari considering Shaft hasn't made Kizu yet.

Yes, toothbrush, toothbrush, toothbrush. Your brushing experience will now be tainted along with the rest of us!

Such a great series.

Jarmel

Banned
Btw this got brought up at the Shirobako panel and they didn't have a good answer but why is most anime CGI at 24 FPS? My understanding was that it was done for three reasons: the 1st is for saving money, 2nd would be if they wanted to match how traditional anime was produced to create some sort of similar look (which obviously doesn't work), and 3rd is if there are 2D and 3D elements in a scene then the creators would have to make the CGI at 24 FPS as the 2D elements would be at 24 FPS.

i'd hope after the mandatory english learning in JHS-HS a japanese adult would be able to vaguely follow the thread of english questions :(

lol

Zephyx

Shimoneta 4

Definitely my AOTS thus far. It just doesn't let up of the tension and just keeps me craving for more. I hope they don't go the anyone is fine route for Anna seeing how crazy she is after experiencing those feelings.

Lovely Complex 7-9

Things got incredibly awkward, but after the rapper's wife (pretty nice how they both got to meet their idol and his family) talked to Risa she realized that falling for someone isn't as easy as she thought it was. I am really liking how they are taking this romance step by step.

JulianImp

I've only seen Bakemonogatari which was some time ago and just stopped there for some reason. I finally decided I want to catch up with the series since there's no better time than now.

Monogatari somehow manages to turn almost twenty one minutes of characters talking to each other into something dynamic and fun. Fanservice can get a bit annoying at times (especially if it's Nise, because toothbrush), but I really enjoy the way characters interact and how the plot doesn't appear to be stretching out into infinity. The way the series plays with and deconstructs the harem genre was very interesting for me.

Didn't know Owari was coming this year, though. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Non Non Biyori 4

Man this episode made me sad. I couldn't take seeing Renge so sad, especially when she drew herself crying.

Then the ending came. Thank you Natsumi for making Renge happy again.

Alagami Shirayuki-hime 4

image.jpg1_zpskk05snur.jpg

Am I watching Common Sense the Anime.

This would pretty much solve every issue in a Shoujo series, no a matter of fact this would solve most issues with misunderstanding. This is a bit less Shoujo like. I'm glad Zen is individual who can understand Shirayuki and vice versa. I loved how Shirayuki solved the plant issue all through her own intelligence and passed the test. Ryu seems like a good character because he isn't an annoying brat, plus he's a young Herbalist. As for the Chief Herbalist she's seems like a really fun character with her chill attitude.

image.jpg3_zpsb4is2xfi.jpg

Brofist For Life.😎

Now this is what I call relationship. They honestly seem like really good friends who can honestly talk to each other. This is definitely how you develop a relationship. Yeah this is definitely one of my favorite anime this season.

Gotta say.

I'm sorta surprised someone in Japan actually took the effort to edit in Fire Emblem if/Fates characters into the Death Parade OP.

Considering how I don't think anyone over there cared about the anime.

Gotta say.

I'm sorta surprised someone in Japan actually took the effort to edit in Fire Emblem if/Fates characters into the Death Parade OP.

Considering how I don't think anyone over there cared about the anime.

I stopped watching after a certain episode not because it got bad, but I just lost interest. Apparently I chose wrong but at this point I'm too lazy to go back.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
FUCKING GOD DAMN YOUTUBE.

I WANTED TO BE A SMARTASS AND SAY "Why don't you just youtube Death Parade Fire Emblem"

Big fucking mistake. Fuck you youtube descriptions that give away something and then putting in the description "don't watch if you don't want spoilers"

game ain't even out yet.

I don't post a lot here but I just wanted to say.

Thank you, thank you very much Sir.

Sterok

Psycho Pass Movie

A quick note. I thought Psycho Pass season 1 was great, and while not Urobuchi's strongest work, it was still an interesting look at what happens when society decides to give up too much control or risk falling into complete chaos. Season 2 was a complete joke that killed all my enthusiasm for the series, though to its credit it managed to be an interesting watch in its own way. So I came into the movie somewhat tepid about it.

Akane seems broken for most of the movie. Like the only thing keeping her together is throwing everything into her work and hoping she doesn't go crazy. She's only happy when she's with Kougami or is talking about him. That's how she feels to me. Kougami on the other hand seems to have reluctantly accepted his role as a rebel and hero of justice for the common people (though he wouldn't put it in those terms). He wants to make himself useful and won't let himself settle down when he sees trouble in front of him. So he basically just loosened up a bit since we last saw him. The rest of the cast isn't worth talking about aside from Ginoza getting some closure and Mika still being the worst person ever.

Plotwise it basically feels like a retread of season 1, but outside Japan. Terrorists rebelling against the Sibyl system that brings terrifying order to an otherwise chaotic society. Except this time the terrorists are the good guys for the most part. There was certainly a lot of Engrish.
The stuff with the rebels and mercenaries fighting for freedom/power was pretty simple. Once again Sibyl provided the interesting stuff. Turns out in this world they really are the better choice, since under them you probably won't be killed randomly as long as you follow the rules. It's a nice bit of world building and shows why Japan really set up the system. If I'm correct, they set up the terrorists in Japan to get Akane to SEAUn so that she would uncover the military's treachery against them and then assert full control once they purged the dissidents. They didn't care much about the terrorists or Kougami, which sort of makes sending Akane to him their treat to her. If that's correct, then it seems a bit overly complicated when Sibyl was already the dominant power, but I'll take it. Akane convincing them to take control through democratic means was fairly interesting, as it continues her apparent goal of helping Sibyl gain and maintain control while keeping them from too many bad things. She really has thrown in everything with them.

I didn't love it, but it was enjoyable in a non-ironic way. Not really a must see even for Psycho Pass fans, but it's worth a watch if you want more Akane/Kougami/world building.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
God Eater 3

Pretty conflicted. On one hand I fucking love Lenka. This guy. This motherfucker. He's a justice-oriented MC done right. Doesn't bitch and moan like a moron. Doesn't shout "JUSTICE JUSTICE JUSTICE" all the fucking time. Actually picks shit up real fast and acts all casual about it. People. Learn from this shit and model your shit after Lenka for all that is good in this world.

Having said that, there were some really terrible things with the episode. Characters look really bad and the animation felt sort of iffy. it felt like there were frames missing and there wasn't the level of smoothness I was expecting from a Ufotable fight scene. On the flipside, the cinematography and soundtrack is just superb.

God Eater is nowhere near my top anime of the season and it'll likely be the one that I rewatch with friends because it's basically attack on titan and my friends loved that.

God Eater is nowhere near my top anime of the season and it'll likely be the one that I rewatch with friends because it's basically attack on titan and my friends loved that.

Won't they be turned off by Alisa's underboob in God Eater lol.

I'll probably watch the recent episode tomorrow because of my busy schedule.

Akagami no Shirayukihime - 4

CK-Nnl4WoAAbAMD.png:large

...we saw that day.

Show remains as quiet and serene as ever.

Honestly, I don't really have much to say about this episode other than that. I'm enjoying the relationship between Shirayuki and Zen, I'm enjoying the little side-characters here and there, it's all just a quiet, decent little show that's just doing its own thing.

Rokka No Yuusha 1-4

Rokka-no-Yuusha-anime-122.png

Wow the music wow the music wow the music wow the music

If this show gets an ost this will be the 4th after rahxephon, gurren lagann, and persona 4 I download.

On the show itself, this might be imo the best light novel show this season

Prison School 1-3

tumblr_nrnvqwV9Tp1qa94xto1_500.png

Best manga show this season easily, fucking easily....seriously no contest barring ushio and tora since I haven't seen it yet lol

[also my first post in this thread I think]

You had to remind me of Kekkai Sensen didn't you, fuck.

It will never have a ending will it.

Nah, the last episode will definitely come out. Bones has to fulfill their contract, after all. Not to mention the series has sold enough that not finishing it would be a stupid decision.

Remember that people had to wait three months for the final two episodes of Girls und Panzer to come out.

How long did it take for Madoka's last episodes to come out?

Also I did start watching the Akagi drama, Akagi's Actor isn't what I thought he would be but Washizu's is great. I imagine this won't end the decade long match though, lol

How long did it take for Madoka's last episodes to come out?

Also I did start watching the Akagi drama, Akagi's Actor isn't what I thought he would be but Washizu's is great. I imagine this won't end the decade long match though, lol

The drama is just skipping straight to the Washizu match, eh? Maybe it'll come up with an original ending.

Oh, and people just had to wait a month for Madoka's final two episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
Gakkou Gurashi-3
ue2zWD0.jpg

She's much cuter when she's not in a nun outfit.
There is some high level fuckery with this show. During the 2nd episode you think Megu-nee is dead due to all the weird camera angles and positions. So what do they do for the third episode? They make a Megu-nee focused episode from her point of view which makes it seem like she's actually alive. There is information that only Megu-nee would know which leads the viewer to indeed believe she's alive. Then we go back to the group and the show again makes it seem like she's dead with the way that only Yuki interacts with her and has to remind the group that Megu-nee exists. Usually when the audience figures out the narrator is unreliable, they tend to figure out possible future twists based on that information. Here however by switching the narrator, it keeps the audience guessing because it's someone else presenting the information. That said, the show also isn't flat out lying or not giving foreshadowing, so the twists don't feel like they're coming out of nowhere.
For example the episode uses this old film effect which gives off the notion of a recording, as a way of saying this is 'old information'. You could also say it gives off an old school horror movie vibe accompanied by 'scratches on a recording' sound.
This episode also contained a lot of red in the shots. It's used as a sort of foreshadowing not only for the larger events but also some of the personal connections that will be broken. For example when Megu-nee's mom is calling her, there is red not only on her bag but also the streetlight. It's a sort of warning that Megu-nee's mom is probably in danger. Similarly with Kurumi and her potential boyfriend problem, there is another shot with lots of red in it.
oGD5KJk.jpg
JAZuawz.jpg

Not to mention the fire extinguisher being used in emergencies, another sign of danger.
There is a lot of strong direction in this episode, not so much from the storyboarding side but rather through colors, editing, and sound. Another example about the effective use of color in the episode is the lack of it in the opening monologue by Megu-nee which serves to highlight how dead the school is now. The top and the bottom of the frame are also cut off which give it an old-school horror vibe. It serves to emphasize how dire the actual situation is, which is contrasted by the bright use of colors in the OP.
Now on the editing and sound side, I thought the above scene was really well done for the actual lack of sound. Often in cinema, there might be a sound or music to indicate something dramatic is happening however a lack of sound can be just as effective if not more so. Here when Kurumi is swinging the shovel, the quick bursts of silence during every swing work on an emotional level due to the contrast of the noisy scenes before and inbetween. In addition to this, the hard cuts to black visually reinforce the drama in this scene and cutting to the reactions in each member's face of way of showing to the audience that the characters are starting to realize that, "This is my new reality". This was all about giving the scene significance through subtraction.
uetCt9R.jpg
4PCRR4h.jpg

Keeping Kurumi in the same shot as the shovel shows her connection to it, possibly as a way of connecting to her ex-crush.
The direction really took a jump this episode, not that it was bad prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom