• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

Non Non Biyori S2 03

How is it that Ren-chon jokes never get old? She's consistently hilarious and I'm so glad that there's more of a focus on her this season. That shrug cracked me up, as did her heart getting broken by Nee's fake promise of cake.

Narag

Cel anime looks vastly better when remastered in HD, news at 11.

Still though that improved bitrate is doing wonders.

Like I said in IRC, this is like when I first saw the Lodoss announcement. I didn't know stuff was meant to be different colors. :lol

Taruranto

Arslan Quest for Budget #11

YwMx4rR.jpg

Welp

Qurupeke

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-22

Almost finished but I'd like to post some impressions before the final episodes. That's a weird show. I mean, I knew it was weird before I started it but I couldn't imagine how weird it would be. I get that battles and action aren't the focus but still it's weird. The christian imagery or the names doesn't help it too. I'm really not sure if I like it or not. There's a plot but still many scenes are nothing about it. Images and colours flashing and characters screaming. Happened a lot of times with Shinji, happened in 22 with Asuka. I'm not sure how the story progresses but it does.

Actually, I started this about 2 months ago but I couldn't stand Shinji at all and I stopped at episode 4. I continued about 3 days ago because I was generally curious. The EVA 01 design is absolutely amazing and every time it goes berserk I'm really hyped. And the fights with the angels, even though they're not the focus of the series, are really well done. And the last redeeming quality of the series are probably the adult characters. Sinji's father, Misato, that blond girl, Keji. All of them are really good. I can't say that I feel the same about the kids though. Rei is annoying and I don't like how she seems to only have apathy, even though there are moments she displays emotions. Maybe more will revealed on the last few episodes, I'm not sure. Shinji sucked a lot at the first episodes but he's somewhat better now that he's No1. Asuka is generally the best of the trio but the last couple of episodes have made me to hate her a bit, as she's become unbearable to watch.

Anyway, I'll finish it and I'll deliver impressions for the last episodes. I'm really curious to see both the original ending, that has gathered way too much hate, and the other ending, that hopefully will deliver.

Akagami no Shirayukihime - 04

Man I liked this episode a lot. Shirayuki continues to shine in my eyes. One of the two introduced characters in this episode, Garack caught my attention. While being a high rank chief pharmacist, she still has a relaxed and goofy side to her. She could be fun to have around.
There were three scenes I liked in particular;

a) Shirayuki demostrating her expertise in herbalism, revealing and locating a problem during the examination. Tasting and comparing water, tasting roots, and going even further to such lengths to succeed.
b) The examination aftermath conversation with Garack, highlighting how Shirayuki could more than likely skip all this due to her relationship with the prince - yet she still chooses to accomplish her goals by her own design.
c) Some guy talks smack and Shirayuki wont have it! She gets pissed off, slams her fist on the table and dominates.

One thing I didn't like was how it turned a bit needlessly emotionally dramatic at the end.

Almost finished but I'd like to post some impressions before the final episodes. That's a weird show. I mean, I knew it was weird before I started it but I couldn't imagine how weird it would be. I get that battles and action aren't the focus but still it's weird. The christian imagery or the names doesn't help it too. I'm really not sure if I like it or not. There's a plot but still many scenes are nothing about it. Images and colours flashing and characters screaming. Happened a lot of times with Shinji, happened in 22 with Asuka. I'm not sure how the story progresses but it does.

Actually, I started this about 2 months ago but I couldn't stand Shinji at all and I stopped at episode 4. I continued about 3 days ago because I was generally curious. The EVA 01 design is absolutely amazing and every time it goes berserk I'm really hyped. And the fights with the angels, even though they're not the focus of the series, are really well done. And the last redeeming quality of the series are probably the adult characters. Sinji's father, Misato, that blond girl, Keji. All of them are really good. I can't say that I feel the same about the kids though. Rei is annoying and I don't like how she seems to only have apathy, even though there are moments she displays emotions. Maybe more will revealed on the last few episodes, I'm not sure. Shinji sucked a lot at the first episodes but he's somewhat better now that he's No1. Asuka is generally the best of the trio but the last couple of episodes have made me to hate her a bit, as she's become unbearable to watch.

Anyway, I'll finish it and I'll deliver impressions for the last episodes. I'm really curious to see both the original ending, that has gathered way too much hate, and the other ending, that hopefully will deliver.

I mean if you don't like Shinji I'm going to imagine you're in the crowd that wouldn't like the ending either.

I almost wanted to ask if you just don't like Shinji because he's badly written or because you don't like this kind of person. If you almost dropped the show because of him though I guess you mean the former. Well at least you didn't outright write he sucks because he's a whiny bitich, which pretty much immediately lowers my view on someone's taste ;p

Mandelbo

I watched Eva quite a few years back now and I still look back on it fondly. EoE is one of my favourite bits of Eva purely because of how terrifying the imagery is and how it ramps up the craziness without ever really letting up. I prefer it to the original ending by far,
even if the outlook is somewhat less optimistic.

Qurupeke

I mean if you don't like Shinji I'm going to imagine you're in the crowd that wouldn't like the ending either.

I almost wanted to ask if you just don't like Shinji because he's badly written or because you don't like this kind of person. If you almost dropped the show because of him though I guess you mean the former. Well at least you didn't outright write he sucks because he's a whiny bitich, which pretty much immediately lowers my view on someone's taste ;p

I'm not really sure myself. I hate his whining but on the other hand, I can see the reason behind it. I mean, this isn't a typical anime with giant robots and your typical shonen protagonist. The father did nothing less than psychologically abuse him by giving him a fake choice. I'd certainly wouldn't call him badly written but he's insufferable quite a few times. Still, after around Asuka's introduction, he's a bit better as a character. There were scenes that I didn't like, his thoughts when he melted on EVA for example, but generally he's okayish now. Still, I think that I won't like the original ending if it's anything like what I imagine.

I'm not really sure myself. I hate his whining but on the other hand, I can see the reason behind it. I mean, this isn't a typical anime with giant robots and your typical shonen protagonist. The father did nothing less than psychologically abuse him by giving him a fake choice. I'd certainly wouldn't call him badly written but he's insufferable quite a few times. Still, after around Asuka's introduction, he's a bit better as a character. There were scenes that I didn't like, his thoughts when he melted on EVA for example, but generally he's okayish now. Still, I think that I won't like the original ending if it's anything like what I imagine.

I'd advise you watch End of Evangelion regardless of what you think of the series as a whole and the TV ending, EoE is a pretty amazing and masterful work.

Alright, that's enough, you're good to go!

Rei and Asuka aren't supposed to be likeable btw. so being put off by them should be the norm.

As for the ending, I don't know how much you've seen of it but it was quite the unique 'wtf' experience back then for me. Watching it on a tablet at 3:30am didn't help much either but yeh. It then grew immensely on me though.

Either way, post your impressions. Post NGE impressions are always among the best.

LOVELY COMPLEX 5

WHAT THE FUCK LMFAO. I HAD TO PAUSE THE VIDEO, I AM LAUGHING SO HARD.
THE "CUTE GIRL" THAT FELL FOR OTANI AND GAVE HIM A KISS WAS A DUDE LOOOOOL. I thought he was going to get it on in the infirmary when s-he said "it's getting hot in here" and started unbuttoning the shirt. When Risa runs in she sees a dude without his shirt on LOL. I can't even. Otani passed out LMFAO.

javac

Okay so I might start Votoms today, but I'm still apprehensive about the length and it's holding me back, do I really want to be starting yet another lengthy series? My poor sleep T_T

Himemiya

Pillow Boys 03

So this weeks pillow boy is a musician, except when he plays his violin no sound comes out. I'm not kidding. He tells you to listen to his song but there isn't a song. Pillow Boys are weirdos. The only sound this episode is Pillow Boy #3's voice.

The lack of sounds was creepy before but now it's just really weird. Like this will probably escalate into Pillow Boy 07, the Charismatic Serial Killer and Pillow Boy 09 the Handsome and Benevolent Dictator.
I don't think every ep was originally meant to be so silent. I only watched the third ep but I compared to the RAW and noticed the CR version removed his violin piece, the BGM, and all sound effects (scrambling around the room, the spider falling, etc.). GUP Katyusha-esque copyright issues might explain the violin piece, but the rest is silly, fitting for the show I guess but nothing deserves this treatment.

BGM made it sound even more like crimes were going down.

Gintama 221-222

Is it okay if I name my kid Jugem Jugem Shit-Tossing the Life of Shin-chan's Two-day-old Underwear Balmung Fezealion Issac Schneider 1/3 True Love 2/3 Hangnail Anxiety Betrayal Knows My Name Or Does It Really Ignore Calls Squid Dogfish Halibut Trout-Cod Dogfish This is a Different Dogfish, I'm Talking About the Dogfish Shark Kaluga Angler Ray Yuuteimiyaoukimiukou Pepepepepepepepepepepepe All's Well That Ends Well Runny Diarrhea?

Okay so I might start Votoms today, but I'm still apprehensive about the length and it's holding me back, do I really want to be starting yet another lengthy series? My poor sleep T_T

VOTOMS is really good, watch it.

I don't think every ep was originally meant to be so silent. I only watched the third ep but I compared to the RAW and noticed the CR version removed his violin piece, the BGM, and all sound effects (scrambling around the room, the spider falling, etc.). GUP Katyusha-esque copyright issues might explain the violin piece, but the rest is silly, fitting for the show I guess but nothing deserves this treatment.

BGM made it sound even more like crimes were going down.

That's so weird, why would they change all that? It makes it so creepy.

ant-man

marvel teaching everyone that insects can be waifu too.

JUST AS PLANNED

Of course, those exist, I would know

John Blade

youre-under-arrest-the-movie-hd-wallpapers-4.jpg

Let's get this out 1st and foremost as this might be the 1st complain I have and it's the letterbox of this movie. I don't know who think this is a good idea (I guess someone form ADV) but this letterbox kinda ruin a bit of this movie. I guess if you watch this on the TV, you might able to bypass it by digital zoom to zoom into the movie but I am watching this on my computer and yea, don't like the idea the letterbox took up quite a bit of the space on the monitor.
0000203898.jpg

So, the movie. I guess the best way to say about this movie is it feel like one of those 3 part episodes in the TV show but remove all the light-hearted fluffy we love from the OVA and TV series from season 1 and put in all the gritty, fast paced, action flick movie. Doesn't mean the movie is bad because of this. I got entertain from the beginning to end and fine with it but it isn't like what I expected from You're Under Arrest which I love the most from which is a light cop drama with the two main character in the show.

For the story of the movie, you follow both the main character you love Natsumi Tsujimoto and Miyuki Kobayakawa who came back from their transfer of different department for a year to the police station. They happy reunion end short after an incident have cause havoc in Tokyo. 1st, they is a weapon smugglers who smuggle weapon into Tokyo. 2nd, some hacker cause a traffic jam by getting the traffic light to shut down. 3rd, a bomber blow up a bridge and inform the police they will blow up as many bridge around the river. Lastly, the chief somehow got arrest under the suspicion of helping someone to commit the crime. All of this somehow interconnect to a major plot of crime. Like I say, the story is simple and do remind a bit of the 3 part special in the TV series. It's more action pack style pacing which is good to watch in the movie but you do miss the fun stuff we love in the OVA. It's still there but not too often unfortunately.

For the character development, the stuff you love for the two main female character are here again and I guess I still love them working together to solve the problem even it mean it take them to extreme situation (to the point Miyuki manage to get into the helicopter by her bike and take it down with it). As for the rest of the characters, they're there and they development is the same feel with them.

For the animation, because this is a movie, the detail of the animation of the character and the background is great. You can say the same thing of how smooth it look. Kinda remind me a bit of the OVA. Unfortunately, this kinda ruin from the North American DVD release as it look like it's a low revolution in quality of the transfer which ruin a bit for me. Also, they're few scene in the movie that look like a freeze frame show which feel like either they're rushing to get the movie out or running low in the budget to make the movie. Either way, it feel a bit cheap.

Overall, it's a decent movie. I guess, this movie is good if you love a fast action movie with tons of action scene. If you're going into this movie and want it to be like the OVA with the fun stuff, you will leave disappointed a bit. Still good movie to watch and did have fun watching it. I do hope they release this movie in better quality and maybe in Blu-ray.

VRMN

Actually, I Am... 04

I was kind of down on this, with much of the first three episodes reminding me that the manga did take a while to get rolling. But some legitimately great writing merging together two chapters nearly 60 chapters apart made episode four one of the funniest anime episodes I've watched in recent memory. The reaction faces, the fast-paced jokes, the foreshadowing they snuck in there...it was all great and got me hopeful again for the rest of the adaptation.

javac

VOTOMS is really good, watch it.

No doubt, it looks phenomenal and its been in my backlog for a long time, I think that I will in fact start it today and hopefully its compelling enough to keep me coming back consecutively since I hate watching things and having breaks in between :)
Unless I find something else in my backlog in the next hour that I want to watch :p

Squishy3

Gintama 221-222

Is it okay if I name my kid Jugem Jugem Shit-Tossing the Life of Shin-chan's Two-day-old Underwear Balmung Fezealion Issac Schneider 1/3 True Love 2/3 Hangnail Anxiety Betrayal Knows My Name Or Does It Really Ignore Calls Squid Dogfish Halibut Trout-Cod Dogfish This is a Different Dogfish, I'm Talking About the Dogfish Shark Kaluga Angler Ray Yuuteimiyaoukimiukou Pepepepepepepepepepepepe All's Well That Ends Well Runny Diarrhea?
The best thing about this is the song that starts playing. I couldn't breathe during this episode.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm not even surprised that you dislike how shirou is inserted into the character relationships.
If it helps , shirou is much closer to rin/luvia than he will ever be to ilya/miyu/kuro ..he does get teased a lot at home ( 1 vs 6 ) but that's just the remnants of his harem character setting from the normal fate multiverse.
Regardless of how they like shirou ,the fact is that he will NEVER be intrested in the main 3 girls so i'm fine with him being teased a lot and stuck in the bath with luvia butler.
Ps: they aren't going to end with him btw
[/SPOILER]

It just irritates the shit out of me that wherever he shows up any and all girls present instantly get thirsty for him. What makes it worse is that he's not even cool to begin with so for his creators to write his female cast as mindless idiots whenever he's around is cringeworthy as fuck. You want girls to go ham on someone, have them fall for Bazette. She's more of a man than Shirou could ever hope to be.

John Blade

Nothing much to say in this episode really. You see Kaoru and Aoi and the photography club go out to a hot spring for a photoshoot. Taeko and her lack of sense of direction cause some issue of getting to the hotel and found out she didn't book the room on the right time. All fix up and all have fun. Then the photography club member want Taeko to take pic of ghost which she love to do. Kaoru and Aoi realize this girl don't have a sense of direction, try to find Taeko. Manage to found her but didn't go back to the hotel till the morning. Then Taeko show off the photo she taken when she was trying to take pics of ghost.

Like I say, nothing special to say. Another slap stick comedy episode but we do have some time with Kaoru and Aoi alone for a bit in the later episode when their trying to find Taeko. You see the their lover start to process a bit slowly which is fun to see and you see Kaoru try to keep Aoi from getting scared in the small hut. Kinda miss those old days with Aoi and Kaoru been alone together.

Infinite Ryvius 3

Attempting to highjack a sinking space ship. Those usually go well. Not that it's important in the grand scheme considering the Liebe Delta is in a terrible position regardless.

It just irritates the shit out of me that wherever he shows up any and all girls present instantly get thirsty for him. What makes it worse is that he's not even cool to begin with so for his creators to write his female cast as mindless idiots whenever he's around is cringeworthy as fuck. You want girls to go ham on someone, have them fall for Bazette. She's more of a man than Shirou could ever hope to be.

It's just a joke, he's a loser and does nothing in Prisma Illya and yet everyone loves him just because lol Fate.

I still believe in the Yuri ending, I honestly wish Kuro wasn't in the picture because MiyuxIllya forever.

Cornbread78

Shirayuki-hime ep.4
Another good episode; if deepened the relationship between Shirayuki and Zen by giving her more insight into some of the grim past he has faced with multiple
poisen/murder attempts
as he grew up. The foreshadowing is there now also,
she will have to save Prince Zen from a serious poisoning soon (worse than the aplenty earlier that was only meant to subdue her.
I can see why some say the show is slow, but I love the tone and feel of the show; plus, the characters are all pretty good with engaging personalities.

Here I am all ready to get cleansed with happiness and (hopefully) forget about some recent bad memories.

And then this happens.

And I go full on depression.

Until minutes later, when I'm cured with possibly the cutest drawing I'm going to see from an anime character this year.

I do not need an emotional roller coaster at the beginning of the week.

Glad to see Candy Store reappear.

Even if it was for only 8 seconds.

So its not even bad good?

It's shit on shit.

Wouldn't even recommend to rent the movie.

ibyea

Banned
I'd advise you watch End of Evangelion regardless of what you think of the series as a whole and the TV ending, EoE is a pretty amazing and masterful work.

Yup yup yup, and I am not even that big of an End of Evangelion fan, but there is an intensity to it that just have to be experienced.

John Blade

uzume_by_loonylizard-d5d03wn.jpg

Another cute filler episode. This time we meet a new character (well...a ferret ) name Uzume. Somehow it like Miyabi a bit as it always want to be with her (even toying with her a bit). Also, we have some character development with Miyabi which is good to see as they is little we know about her except from what she try to be portray.

Nothing to say much but a fun episode if you like some comedy skirt. No alone time with Aoi and Kaoru in this episode.

cajunator

Banned
uzume_by_loonylizard-d5d03wn.jpg

Another cute filler episode. This time we meet a new character (well...a ferret ) name Uzume. Somehow it like Miyabi a bit as it always want to be with her (even toying with her a bit). Also, we have some character development with Miyabi which is good to see as they is little we know about her except from what she try to be portray.

Nothing to say much but a fun episode if you like some comedy skirt. No alone time with Aoi and Kaoru in this episode.

Yup.
my biggest gripe is not enough alone time for the leads. The moments are so sweet when they do happen.

Death Note 3 [Live Action]

Vacation weekend so I only made effort to really see Death Note and AOTS Gods Eater. In any case, lovely Death Note episode. Its so thrilling and intense seeing the Light L drama unfold and each trying to stay one step ahead of the other.

I cant wait for next episode, L is so hot.

I was thinking about watching the Akagi Live Action TV Drama because Akagi is great but episodes are an hour long, so I probably won't. Maybe I should just read the manga. I really hope there's another Fukumoto adaptation one day, I would love Strongest Man Kurosawa.

I was thinking about watching the Akagi Live Action TV Drama because Akagi is great but episodes are an hour long, so I probably won't.

Do you never watch live-action TV?

Maybe I should just read the manga. I really hope there's another Fukumoto adaptation one day, I would love Strongest Man Kurosawa.

I would love to see an adaptation of Gambling Emperor Zero (first part only though!). The peak of Fukumoto's gambling stories.

Do you never watch live-action TV?

I would love to see an adaptation of Gambling Emperor Zero (first part only though!). The peak of Fukumoto's gambling stories.

Nah I do but it takes me like, 3 hours to watch an episode of 1 hour stuff because I am terrible at just sitting down and watching things. I managed to watch Twin Peaks pretty fast but I was playing Warlords of Draenor when it came out at the same time.

I'll probably watch the first episode anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom