• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Even without the window being a cut out it was still an ok cover. The main problem for me was that the top of the picture was completely cut off by the blu ray banner.
Actually in the new one Kyokos hair is still a bit cut off, but it's not nearly as bad.

Yeah that's also true, I hate that blue banner that they put on the slipcovers D: Its very unnecessary, the amaray has the blue banner at the top! Keep the slipcover clean.

Szadek

Revolutionary Girl Utena Ep 06-10
3 episodes about the antagnoinsts, thier pasts ,twisted personialties and why they want to rose Bride .... and 1 episode about body swapping because of a curry explostion.
Yeah, this show is weird like that.

At least I know a little more about the plot now.

cajunator

Banned
Hey Anime-GAF.

I'm nowhere near as big a fan of the medium as most of y'all, but still like it better than your average Joe. I've worked through most of Sailor Moon Crystal, seen all of Attack on Titan and dabbled in a bunch of the series on Adult Swim/Toonami years ago. Looking for something to sink my teeth into now, but don't know where to start. I looked at the best of 2014 results and of those, but don't really know where to start. What's big/hot right now? What's something that might be a worthwhile investment? I know this is all vague, but it's because I have no idea what sub-genres I'm into. Thanks in advance for your help, please don't berate me because I am asking such an open-ended question haha.

You might like Ushio and Tora. Its a remake of older 90s OVA series of the same name and following it quite closely.

Maybe I overstated my interest in the Toonami stuff haha. I'm definitely more akin to the Animal Crossing/Studio Ghibli/warm and fuzzy side of anime than the XXXTREME side.

Non Non Biyori, Kinmoza, Wakaba Girls might be more what youre looking for on that side of things

Yeah, that one in particular was bizarre to me.

Personally, I'll tend to skip if I'm watching on BD/DVD unless I really love the OP.

Same. There is way too much to see to force yourself to watch a bad OP/ED if you cant stand it. Its not skipping much of relevance, its just an attention catcher to introduce the show.

This scene right here:

tumblr_ns64pxzYXb1qj5jqso1_500.gif

#mint

Whats going on in that scene? I cant figure it out.

Whats going on in that scene? I cant figure it out.

They're on a plane surrounded by those flying eyeball thingies. Then while they fight they bump into eachother, stand around for a while and instantly change their guns to swords and slice two incoming monsters.
Only the slicing bit appears in this gif though which makes it unclear if you haven't seen it.

Symphogear GX 05

...Tsubasa and Genjurou are related? How did that never come up?

Ending scene was so obvious I called it two episodes ago but it was cool. I'm sad it looks like their gears look the same, expected 2.0 with a different design.

Bleeding from mouth drugs = gonna die but nobody dies in this show (red hair is still alive believe) so they will be fine

Shokugeki no Soma - 17

This doesn't feel as exciting coming off the camp of death. I don't really see the need to have the old classmate, aka 'tentacle victim' to get screen time when Megumi already exists. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong. Nice to see Meat again.
But as long as the show keeps giving me the absurdness and silly stuff, I'll be alright with this.

Symphogear GX 05
...Tsubasa and Genjurou are related? How did that never come up?

Season 1, she refers to him as uncle once

Shokugeki no Soma - 17

This doesn't feel as exciting coming off the camp of death. I don't really see the need to have the old classmate, aka 'tentacle victim' to get screen time when Megumi already exists. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong. Nice to see Meat again.
But as long as the show keeps giving me the absurdness and silly stuff, I'll be alright with this.

Season 1, she refers to him as uncle once

The Karaage arc is pretty weak. It will be over next episode, though. The next arc is really long and really good. I assume we will get another 2cour season and most of the episodes will be dedicated to it.

And I must have just forgotten they were related.

Kansoku

The more I watch stuff from SHAFT, the more I love them. So I want to watch more from them.

I'm finishing ef a tale of Melodies, and Hidamari Sketch is on the Plan to Watch. I already watched: Monogatari series, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei series, Koufuku Graffiti, Mekaku City Actors, Madoka, Nisekoi and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru.

Aside from these, what else is worth watching?

cajunator

Banned
Rewatching Kill Me Baby, this show is still as awesome as I remember it with one of the greatest OP and ED.

Incredibly underrated show. BGBW would be so proud.

One of the better episode. Chika and her friend are back and this time they have a swim competition. They manage to get Tina to be their coach to teach them. Get to see a bit of a hidden side of Tina and how she want to live in Japan when she was younger than be American. Also, see one of Chika friend to manage to make one of her wish to come true.
It sound cheesy but for some reason, I like this episode a bit more than the other filler episode.

Will go to the next episode.

I think of all the girl I like Chika's character the least of all. Shes pretty much the token loli and I just dont like her being there. At least the other girls have some sort of realistic romantic attraction or reason to be around. Chika was just moe~ fodder.

Mushishi 25

Japanese fetish for eyeballs stikes again.
Couldn't Ginko make another eyeball for her like he did earlier ? I swear, his success rate is below 50 %
. Great ep, one of my favourites probably.

This show always creeps me out when the mushishi eat peoples eyes. Its so disturbing.

Kind of off topic but since we discussed it not too long ago and I got a ton of support from everyone, I am happy to report that I went back to my weight training today. I realized that I was overtraining my arms, my routines would repeat pushing motions too often which put a strain on my wrists and elbows, so I played around with my log and found something that will let me heal while still hitting up all the body parts as usual. Went today, and the pain is there but it didn't get worse, nor did it affect me at all.

On the road to full recovery now ~~~ Long weekend is going to be nice
no God Eater though :'(

Thats awesome! I started attending gym two weeks ago, although I havent really kept up with it. Went three times and got super sore from working out muscles I never knew I had, but the way my job is and other factors will make it difficult to maintain a routine. not to mention Im not 100% enthused about the whole thing. But Im really tiny and could stand to work out at least a little.

Gah, of course that Miayazaki collection is $250.

A great price actually. Would bite, except I already own the majority of the Miyazaki films I want on bluray. Spirited Away is one of the last I need to acquire.

IM@S CG S2 03

Holy crap, added like another 12 idols.

Bunny ears are important I guess?

The manga is elder god tier, honestly one of my favorite manga of all time. I've never found the words to describe how amazing it is.

Looks like Lionsgate is making a live action Naruto movie (lol)

Nekomimi Anastasia is one of my favorite things. Really wish CG would put Mirei in there and more of Syoko.

Sterok

Aikatsu 77

So Akari passed because she drew eyes to herself despite a lacking performance. I can accept that. Seeing Akari training just really shows how much of a prodigy Ichigo and the others were at the beginning. Even Ichigo's trampoline stuff was halfway decent for a beginner. I wonder how much Akari's roommate will be ignored. She even got a name. Time for epic haircut. Or at least I wish it was a little more epic. Better than Shion's epic off-screen haircut though.

Taruranto

That one episode from FMA Fumoffu where they go to the hotspring and the guys try to spy on the girls #5

Yeah, remember that one? That was funny, ahah... 10 years ago.

This show is such a clusterfuck. They colonized the entire Solar System but Nagisa has to drive 10 kilometers to find a PC.

They also dropped the only interesting character (Sensei) to focus on whathername and Purple-Inaho.

We didn't even get some Sense manservice. FOR SHAME.

I already played MUV-LUV, I know where this is heading, you can't fool me Subaru.

Prison School - 04

Hmm maybe I should give the manga a try because of if the art is better and I can read at my own pace, that may be worth it. The animation quality really isn't much to speak of in this show and there's not much action which I'd prefer to see in proper motion. Still, colorization and loss of voice acting is a deterrent.

Prison School - 04

Hmm maybe I should give the manga a try because of if the art is better and I can read at my own pace, that may be worth it. The animation quality really isn't much to speak of in this show and there's not much action which I'd prefer to see in proper motion. Still, colorization and loss of voice acting is a deterrent.

The art in the manga is excellent. If you are interested in the series I recommend it

Phatmac

Not really feeling this arc due to the lack of the regular crew plus no best girl Megumi takes this episode down a peg for me. Hopefully it ends next week and the plot can get stronger. The pace it had with the traning camp arc has died which has brought the show down. At least we got some meat girl this week so it wasn't all bad.

Symphogear GX - 05

All this happened because daddy can't cook for shit so little witch is pissed
The girls made a song dedicated to beef stroganoff
Project is called Ignite

coincidence?? I call foreshadowing
the new gear is stuffed with beef stroganoff and other food, they're going to tame the pissed witch by feeding her.

I thought the episode was meh, too much dead time and the action wasn't as fun as I would've liked. I mean the claw doll doesn't even use her claws, what the fuck? Skirt saw blade was pretty cool though

Phatmac

This is probably one of my favorite beach episodes as there were some funny moments They even had a Popsicle secne that was tame! Besides that it's strange to see Shirou being treated better in this show then all of UBW. The BL scene with him and Issei was so damn funny plus him telling his girls why he likes them with Luvia's breast to explaining Rin's dependency on her skirt/thigh killer combo. It's also funny to see how low Bazett has fallen by doing ordinary jobs. So good.

This is probably one of my favorite beach episodes as there were some funny moments They even had a Popsicle secne that was tame! Besides that it's strange to see Shirou being treated better in this show then all of UBW. The BL scene with him and Issei was so damn funny plus him telling his girls why he likes them with Luvia's breast to explaining Rin's dependency on her skirt/thigh killer combo. It's also funny to see how low Bazett has fallen by doing ordinary jobs. So good.
2l96Ie7.png
2VWd0fR.jpg

quote your images breh

cajunator

Banned
Yeah the previous one made no sense, because the way it was originally used was it had a cut-out in the slipcover so the window made sense.

Wait they used that art without the slip cover? Yeah that doesnt work too well.

Oh good god, Anastasia in cat ears. *Dies*

*Comes back to life*
*Looks at picture again*
*dies again*
*Comes back to life again*
*Makes pic his cell phone wallpaper*

I know right? Fuckin amazing.

They're on a plane surrounded by those flying eyeball thingies. Then while they fight they bump into eachother, stand around for a while and instantly change their guns to swords and slice two incoming monsters.
Only the slicing bit appears in this gif though which makes it unclear if you haven't seen it.

Ah I see. thanks for explanation. Looks fun!

This is relevant to my interests. I love the art!

The more I watch stuff from SHAFT, the more I love them. So I want to watch more from them.

I'm finishing ef a tale of Melodies, and Hidamari Sketch is on the Plan to Watch. I already watched: Monogatari series, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei series, Koufuku Graffiti, Mekaku City Actors, Madoka, Nisekoi and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru.

Aside from these, what else is worth watching?

Do you like vampire girls with cat ears?

ALso:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkmLs2NQ7Bk

OceanBlue

There are some funny reactions this episode. You got one of my favorite ones in that Shirou picture lol. Miyu was really cute this episode. She got a lot of focus for the first half of the episode which was nice.

A quick look at the manga and Kiki's Delivery Service it ain't. *pout* Though skimming past the prologue makes it look more interesting.

I was doing the same.

It's very slice of life. Like, chapters end there isn't any dramatic or humorous beat or morale resolution at the end, they just... end. And in a good amount the fact there is a witch in there it's basically a foot note.

It's... about cute girls doing cute things, I suppose. You have the titular witch, her hotter big sister, the loli imouto, the childhood friend, the Inu-witch, etc. Like, variations for each niche. And all are cute and/or hot, of course. There isn't big fanservice (well, adjusted tshirt here, bare riff there, hotpants...) but you can notice it was done for male audience. Even the only guy here is generic, as it happens in these cases.

It has a few amusing jokes

Shokigeki no Soma 17

This was a fun time, I always like it when it's just characters doing entertaining things. The girl from the first episode also reappeared (and the Don guy too!) which was cool. She's basically Megumi but her hairstyle is a bit cuter so she objectively the better character. The woman running the Karaage shop was also fun, it's good to see that this show is able to make every character likeable in a way, good stuff.

The ending is also growing on me, it ain't no Spice but it's still nice!

Thats awesome! I started attending gym two weeks ago, although I havent really kept up with it. Went three times and got super sore from working out muscles I never knew I had, but the way my job is and other factors will make it difficult to maintain a routine. not to mention Im not 100% enthused about the whole thing. But Im really tiny and could stand to work out at least a little.
Once you develop a routine, a set of workouts you do, even when you don't have time, you make up time somehow, at least that's how I do it. Also the fact that you HAVE to eat like a horse to see gains
not junk though so put your fried stuff and candy away :p
. I like to eat. I like to lift. Both things go hand in hand aha. I am enthusiastic about it though so that helps. People notice it in you, you have more energy, you develop your body, you release your stress. Motivation is a huge part of lifting as for any other physical activity.

The art from the Vol covers look fantastic. It seems like it's going to be a calm sol comedy which sounds great to me.

I don't know why but it reminds me of Yotusuba a bit.

We will never get a Yotusuba anime.��
This looks REALLY REALLY good.

Top Groups Expand Investment in Anime Consortium Japan

TOKYO – Six Japanese companies are investing $3 million in Anime Consortium Japan, an anime content joint venture launched in November 2014 by Bandai Namco and the Cool Japan Fund, ACJ announced Friday.

The investors are leading publishers Kodansha, Shueisha, Shogakukan and Kadokawa, as well as anime goods maker Good Smile Company and anime studio Toei Animation.
With the financial injection ACJ plans to expand beyond Web streaming to “value-added anime contents” in collaboration with anime studios, game makers, publishers, merchandize companies, and other rights holders from Japan.

One major issue internationally is a lack of consistent platforms between groups. While a lot of people have criticized Daisuki's streaming player, the company behind it definitely offers the potential to standardize selling rights to other companies (like AoA taking on God Eater) and possibly offering digital manga contents (though products like Comic Walker, which has been poorly updated in English) among other content. That should help fix some issues like "boo, Funi licensed a show I wanted to watch. Guess I'm going fansubs."

The only issue is that the company seemed to lack a consistent direction back when it was just Daisuki. Foresight to participate in shows like Cinderella Girls, God Eater, and possibly One Punch Man is a great start, but more needs to happen for it to be a very good alternative in the market.

Mandelbo

When Marnie Was There

I hadn't heard very much about this prior to watching it, and I don't think it's left too much of an impression on me. I certainly don't think it's a bad film, it just didn't really resonate with me, which seems to be the way with quite a few of the Ghibli films I've seen - Grave of the Fireflies has not been beaten as of yet.

As with a lot of Ghibli films the strengths are in the visuals. It's definitely quite a pretty film, and the CG didn't mar the experience very much, which is weird because I couldn't stand how Ronja looked. The score was decent but personally didn't contain much that was memorable.

...I don't really have much more to say. It was pretty alright, but nothing special for me.

Squishy3

A great price actually. Would bite, except I already own the majority of the Miyazaki films I want on bluray. Spirited Away is one of the last I need to acquire.
I just can't justify putting the order in without a release date for that price, because it could end up dropping at a time not great for me financially. Hope they announce a date soon. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom