• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Didn't know this was supposed to be an uninteresting arc until now. I thought it was a fun episode. Meat girl was there. They were making chicken nuggets. Whats not to like?

Yeah, taking down an corporate giant is fun idea too.. I guess people are salty this stalling the big boys game.

Jarmel

Banned
Classroom Crisis-5

I should have dropped this show. The corporate politics stuff is the most interesting component of the show but everything else is as dull as dishwater. Not to mention the budget being obviously nil.

It's a fairly standard shonen cool down arc between two high intensity arcs. It's easy to see why it clicks with some and not for others.

Ushio & Tora 5

Exorcist Hyou seems like a really cool character hopefully he'll continue to show up more frequently once the stakes get higher. His fight with Tora was awesome too bad we couldn't see it continuously, I understand it was done that way for the story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ushio to Tora 3-5

The only reason I'm watching it at this point is because of Tora. I really don't find the material compelling on its own merits. That said, I thought episode 5 was the strongest of the first five.
The show feels like Natsume's Book of Friends if it was made in the 90s and featured a lot of punching instead of talking.

Cornbread78

A Town Where You Live ep.1-6
Damn, this one is interesting. It was a random pick from my list to watch again, but has an interesting story premise to follow, especially with the recent plot development. I mean, it's sure to have a ton more drama along the way, but it's alright, It should be interesting. The only thing that is a little annoying is the constant flasback sequences they are using to fill in the story only because it keeps switching between timelines so much. It's a small nitpick though. Well, it's fun switching between a romcom in Maid Sama and a drama with this.

kewlmyc

GATE 05

And this is why 19 year olds shouldn't be made captain of a squadron when they've never been in battle. What a dumb idea she had. Never underestimate your enemies like that. Also fucking lol at her name being Pina Co Lada. Between her and Rory, the author sure like being "creative" with the names.

Soma 17

Everyone is saying this is the most uninteresting arc, am I the only one who keeps enjoying each episode without a single complaint? I mean to me this show has been a steady inflow of quality entertainment from episode 1 till now, everything so far has been great. They need to come out with an announcement for a second season in 2016 ASAP.

Agreed. There's probably not a single episode i haven't enjoyed.

Prison School 4

This show it's too good. I haven't read the manga so it's completely new to me and i'm enjoying it too much (last chapter destroyed me).

fertygo

GATE 05

And this is why 19 year olds shouldn't be made captain of a squadron when they've never been in battle. What a dumb idea she had. Never underestimate your enemies like that. Also fucking lol at her name being Pina Co Lada. Between her and Rory, the author sure like being "creative" with the names.

explain this one to me lol

explain this one to me lol
Rw3ZYAS.jpg

Moaradin

Soma 17

Everyone is saying this is the most uninteresting arc, am I the only one who keeps enjoying each episode without a single complaint? I mean to me this show has been a steady inflow of quality entertainment from episode 1 till now, everything so far has been great. They need to come out with an announcement for a second season in 2016 ASAP.

Haven't watched the episodes but that arc was pretty entertaining in the manga. It's short and the dish they create and the process they go through is pretty fun.

cj_iwakura

DurarararararaX2...uh, X2 - 1(second arc 13)

Rest on this cast's laurels? Hell no. More characters! Bring em all.

A good new OP, I'm happy with that.

Seraph of the Bland 12

Decent spot for season 1 to end I guess, though the fact nobody wants to tell Yu about his berserk form is just bizarre. It's one thing for Shinoa not to say anything, but the fact none of his squad bring it up is just bizarre. At least throw in a quick scene of Shinoa or Guren saying to the squad "don't let him know what happened it's an order" something to establish why they stay mum on the topic. I also find it doubly bizarre why Gurren just didn't straight up ask Yu if they could experiment on him to increase his power Yu would have said yes in a heart beat. Honestly the whole tone of the series is strange where it's clear the author wants us to not trust the humans or the vampires... this would be fine if the series didn't 90% focus on the human characters and depicting vampires in a bad light.

Ehh I guess thinking about the plot of shonen shit isn't worth it, though I have to give a special shout out to that hilariously bad animation of Mika getting choked. Hopefully season 2 stays more consistent animation wise and the plot keeps being carny as hell.

Quasar

A Town Where You Live ep.1-6
Damn, this one is interesting. It was a random pick from my list to watch again, but has an interesting story premise to follow, especially with the recent plot development. I mean, it's sure to have a ton more drama along the way, but it's alright, It should be interesting. The only thing that is a little annoying is the constant flasback sequences they are using to fill in the story only because it keeps switching between timelines so much. It's a small nitpick though. Well, it's fun switching between a romcom in Maid Sama and a drama with this.

I liked it too even if they chose to jump on in the middle of the manga. I thought it worked well given they had 12 episodes to tell a story based on a really really long manga.

Jarmel

Banned
So can we expect a lot of new announcements at Comiket later in August or is there anotther event for major news down the road?

Cornbread78

Gate ep.5
Damn, right back to the brutality. Really sucks getting stuck with a cliffhanger, but hopefully the boys in green get to rip shit up next week. That mage is gonna get messed up hardcore too.

I liked it too even if they chose to jump on in the middle of the manga. I thought it worked well given they had 12 episodes to tell a story based on a really really long manga.
Damn, I didn't know that was the case. At least all the time line jumps and flashbacks make sense now.

kewlmyc

Ushio and Tora 5

I hope they don't pull a Spiderman and have tsundere chick falling for long hair Ushio like I think they're going to do. I thought she would have found out about Ushio by now. Anyway, the exorcist is a interesting character and I hope we get to see more of him. Let's get to our first arc already.

Gate ep.5
Damn, right back to the brutality. Really sucks getting stuck with a cliffhanger, but hopefully the boys in green get to rip shit up next week. That mage is gonna get messed up hardcore too.

Damn, I didn't know that was the case. At least all the time line jumps and flashbacks make sense now.
You should check out the manga chapter for this siege, they really cleaned it up for the anime. Conveys the same message I think though. Next ep will be a fun one :D

Ushio and Tora 5

I hope they don't pull a Spiderman and have tsundere chick falling for long hair Ushio like I think they're going to do. I thought she would have found out about Ushio by now. Anyway, the exorcist is a interesting character and I hope we get to see more of him. Let's get to our first arc already.

They made it apparent in episode 1 that she liked Ushio and was being tsundere towards him, actually they've made that apparent in every single episode so far

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 4

So the ship that was stranded on Saturn was Kodai's brother's ship. Man that's gotta suck. The space battles were pretty great especially the spaceships shooting down the tanks. Drone enemies are shown with stormtrooper guns.

Good episode.

Ushio and Tora 5

I mean it's been shown from the first episode that Ayako cares about Ushio so it's not like she's just going to suddenly like him because he has long hair. Plus they are pretty much childhood friends so it's a given.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hibike! Euphonium episode 1
And so I join the ranks of this anime, already I can see alot of the sublte and not so subtle yuri moments and im all for it, the childhood friend is just there to satisfy the safe audience but we all know where the real romance will be.

Also, being in band from 4th grade all the way to freshmen year of highschool, there are some things I related and some not like that grading system, I guess that is a japanese thing, but it also paints the opposite of me, I was a percussionist but had a bad year in band my freshman year, didnt play as well as I use to and because I messed up when joining I didnt make the drumline which meant I was playing on bells, something I never fully learned to play in the past, drumline the movie is a good representation of myself in band.

Hibike! Euphonium episode 1
And so I join the ranks of this anime, already I can see alot of the sublte and not so subtle yuri moments and im all for it, the childhood friend is just there to satisfy the safe audience but we all know where the real romance will be.

Also, being in band from 4th grade all the way to freshmen year of highschool, there are some things I related and some not like that grading system, I guess that is a japanese thing, but it also paints the opposite of me, I was a percussionist but had a bad year in band, didnt play s well as I use to and because I messed up when joining I didnt make the drumline which meant I was playing on bells, something I never fully learned to play in the past, drumline the movie is a good representation of myself in band.

At college we had some random high school band from Japan come to play, they were way better then most of our college bands.

DurarararararaX2...uh, X2 - 1(second arc 13)

Rest on this cast's laurels? Hell no. More characters! Bring em all.

A good new OP, I'm happy with that.

I've seen everything until this new season, but i can't seem to watch it anymore. I kinda feel like this show doesn't go anywhere...

Hope it changes now.

Cornbread78

Classroom*Crisis ep.5
This show is such a mystery and unconventional in every way. It's hard to tell what direction it's going in. I mean, we got our otaku beach and bath scenes. I must say that someone was right here earlier, they literally used still shots for almost the entire beach section; what's up with that? Oh well, show is still very interesting so we'll see what happens next.

kewlmyc

They made it apparent in episode 1 that she liked Ushio and was being tsundere towards him, actually they've made that apparent in every single episode so far

I mean it's been shown from the first episode that Ayako cares about Ushio so it's not like she's just going to suddenly like him because he has long hair. Plus they are pretty much childhood friends so it's a given.

Meant liking both of them without realizing that Ushio is the long haired guy that saved her in episode 2. I thought the ED kinda implied it as well, but I might be thinking too deep unto it. Probably won't happen, but reminds me more of SAO with Sugu and Kirito instead of Spiderman, now that I think about it.

Meant liking both of them without realizing that Ushio is the long haired guy that saved her in episode 2. I thought the ED kinda implied it as well, but I might be thinking too deep unto it. Probably won't happen, but reminds me more of SAO with Sugu and Kirito instead of Spiderman, now that I think about it.

Considering air head girl knows Ushio is the long haired spear guy I can't imagine a scenario where the series would have her "I like Ushio AND the strange guy" because air head friend would just point out they're the same.

Sterok

Aikatsu 85

Here we continue the theme that drama auditions tend to be bonkers and awesome. I liked that the swordsman wasn't too much of a stickler for proper swordsmanship beyond reason. As long as it doesn't look stupid or silly, the realism can take a backseat to flashy fighting. Johnny the Genie was great. Yurika is still trying to get closer to Ran. Ran/Sora seems to be partially official.

Ushio to Tora - 05

Still very good.

Too bad the battle was rushed and in short bursts ..i would have wanted to see more of that.

I was annoyed about it too, but at the same time I liked how the day long fight contrast to Ushio trying to live a "normal life" and the guilt he felt while trying to do so knowing his deception.

fertygo

I was annoyed about it too, but at the same time I liked how the day long fight contrast to Ushio trying to live a "normal life" and the guilt he felt while trying to do so knowing his deception.

The fight is would be a lot more flat if played out straight but at the same time they could do a lot better with the transition effect, its not as smooth as it could be.

Classroom Crisis 05

This episode was pretty boring. Mizuki/Iris are just not interesting as main characters, it was a lot more interesting when Sensei was the focus.

The fight is would be a lot more flat if played out straight but at the same time they could do a lot better with the transition effect not as smooth as it could be.

For sure, other anime have done that kind of scene better. I just think it's a testament to how much fun the action in U&T is that several of us would rather have seen the full fight played out straight in a dramatic fashion. Guess we'll see more of that as the series goes on.

Euriphonium is back everyone.

I finally got in my almost-bimonthly import order from CDJapan, and among the items was the 2-CD soundtrack for Hibike Euphonium. It is super thorough, includes both Reina and Kaori's trumpet solos
and even has two separate renditions of the final episode's performance with each solo in there!
, the full marching band songs for the Rikka school as well as Kitauji (RYDEEN in its entirety is GODLY), basically all the music from the anime and even that announcement trailer tune!

I'm so glad that they decided to release this soundtrack as its own thing and not chop it up piecemeal for the individual home video BDs/DVDs.

After Akame ga Kill! rewatch, I've decided that the series is a solid 6/10 anime. The whole thing is plagued by obvious death flags, a failure to build an interesting world, some strange desire to be a harem anime, and few instances of game terminology like "leveling up" being thrown around that I am going to blame on the translators. With that being said, I think the series did a lot right and my fundamental issue with the whole thing is that it's a shonen and not leaning closer to a more mature story. The first four episodes are fairly awful, mostly because of the quick pace of the show forcing narrative to rush over things, but after that things improve. I helped myself get through those first few episodes by telling myself the story was through Akame's POV and those early memories might be a bit more happy than they really were. Keeping that in mind, I further justified the abrupt shifts between despair and elation that the series goes through by assuming it was meant to be representative of the lives the Night Raid must lead - each day swinging them to and from the edge of death.

tl;dr Watched Akame ga Kill two times in a row, gave it a solid 6/10 rating, enjoyed it like a 10/10 regardless.

After Akame ga Kill! rewatch, I've decided that the series is a solid 6/10 anime. The whole thing is plagued by obvious death flags, a failure to build an interesting world, some strange desire to be a harem anime, and few instances of game terminology like "leveling up" being thrown around that I am going to blame on the translators. With that being said, I think the series did a lot right and my fundamental issue with the whole thing is that it's a shonen and not leaning closer to a more mature story. The first four episodes are fairly awful, mostly because of the quick pace of the show forcing narrative to rush over things, but after that things improve. I helped myself get through those first few episodes by telling myself the story was through Akame's POV and those early memories might be a bit more happy than they really were. Keeping that in mind, I further justified the abrupt shifts between despair and elation that the series goes through by assuming it was meant to be representative of the lives the Night Raid must lead - each day swinging them to and from the edge of death.

tl;dr Watched Akame ga Kill two times in a row, gave it a solid 6/10 rating, enjoyed it like a 10/10 regardless.

You should read the manga you'll get a far more satisfying experience over the things the anime skipped in the first half and of course no awful filler ending

Akame ga kill is full of death flags ..that's kinda why you don't know when someone will die , because they have nothing but death flag hanging above their heads ( allies and ennemies ) , the only exception being ..akame.
As for the world , they only gave us the necessary things and that's enough There are super weapons, yes , but they don't need to explain why they are like that more than they did. Same for the empire , it's a classic empire being evil scenario and it works , considering that your role is to enjoy the fights.
Leveling up is a clear translation mistake , IMO

The real problem of the show is that it's called "akame ga kill"

BUt the show works , because esdeath is an excellent character and vilain and "justce-chan" is crazy just the right amount for a chessy anime like it.

When you're doing fights , the vilain are very important and AGK passed this trial with excellent grades.

Too bad the anime went to sh*t with filler ending.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I've been behind for a few months in Anime due to work and stuff but I just started watching the first episode of Prison School and what the fuck?! I didn't sign up for this low budget looking trash? What gives?!

EDIT: That 3D bullshit at the beginning better be few and far in between. It scared the hell out of me :(

Mailbox

I've been behind for a few months in Anime due to work and stuff but I just started watching the first episode of Prison School and what the fuck?! I didn't sign up for this low budget looking trash? What gives?!

EDIT: That 3D bullshit at the beginning better be few and far in between. It scared the hell out of me :(

I understand that Prison school uses a different art style (with very high contrast used), but calling it low budget looking is just wrong.

If you really want low quality, watch Denpa Kyoushi.

Cornbread78

You should check out the manga chapter for this siege, they really cleaned it up for the anime. Conveys the same message I think though. Next ep will be a fun one :D

I can only imagine if the manga is much more detailed. Visually, they made it brutal enough, lol.

Wakaba * Girl ep.5
Our weekly short dose of cuteness. Gotta love them rich girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom