• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

The show feels like Natsume's Book of Friends if it was made in the 90s and featured a lot of punching instead of talking.
I, for one, am outraged that you apparently missed my vital tweet on this subject!

Natsume doesn't just feel like Ushio, they share a fair amount of story beats:

- Male main character comes in contact with family heirloom which both controls and attracts yokai.

- A particularly strong yokai crosses paths with the main character due to the family heirloom

- The strong yokai and the main character fight, but nevertheless develop an alliance of sorts

- Together they help solve people's problems!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I understand that Prison school uses a different art style (with very high contrast used), but calling it low budget looking is just wrong.

If you really want low quality, watch Denpa Kyoushi.

There's no excuse for the way the first episode began. The PS2 era ground texture and the shitty 3D characters. Even throughout the episode like in the cafeteria overhead shot, the 3D when used is horrible. It feels like I'm watching some Machinema fan-fic video. It's pretty cringe worthy. The hand-drawn stuff looked good but the corners they're cutting in 3D is terrible.

Jex

...Just interesting to see anyway, although I'm kind of tired of the Symphogear heroes losing and then regaining their powers at this point.

Spoilery reference image here: http://i.imgur.com/92mEFETl.png

With regarded to the above, I feel that the biggest problem with this season isn't necessarily it's formulaic structure, but it's pace. One of Symphogear's better features is it's rapid pace. Some episodes feel like their packed with 3 or more episodes worth of nonsense. Symphogear has always been bad, but there's an art to being fun and bad at the same time.

Symphogear GX, on the other hand, feels far more drawn out. It's still paced in a relatively normal fashion compared to, say, other anime, but that's not really a good thing. You don't want this show to linger on side characters and main characters emotional struggles and exposition as heavily as this season has done because that isn't interesting or entertaining. It's boring. Unlike, say, Wixoss or Black Rock Shooter TV the drama and struggle and characters aren't developed to the point where watching them talk is intriguing.

I don't mind where Symphogear GX is as the end of episode 5, but I feel like we should have gotten here by the end of episode 2 or, at a stretch, episode 3.

Still, perhaps I'm just feeling like this because this is the first season I've watched live.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nah I really don't have a major complaint about this episode. I kind of appreciate that the stakes aren't as high (seemingly anyways) and Soma helping the folks in his district and inviting Nikumi over to help out helps the world building.

People who didn't like the Karaage arc were being dumb anyways. Its literally 3 chapters in the manga.

Sterok

Aikatsu 90

Music videos. That actually is different from the normal concerts. And it shows how good Aoi is at this sort of stuff, acing just about everything with little struggle. The video itself was a nice change of pace. Possibly more hints to whatever Orihime is grooming her for? Meanwhile, Aikatsu 8 should be coming soon. I assume Soleil, Double M, and Seira have it on lockdown, but even if that's true there are still two more positions to fill. Probably Kii and Sora, but I'll see.

Mailbox

There's no excuse for the way the first episode began. The PS2 era ground texture and the shitty 3D characters. Even throughout the episode like in the cafeteria overhead shot, the 3D when used is horrible. It feels like I'm watching some Machinema fan-fic video. It's pretty cringe worthy. The hand-drawn stuff looked good but the corners they're cutting in 3D is terrible.

Having just rewatched the first bit of the first episode i'll give you the ground texture, that's pretty bad.

The 3d models aren't actually terrible from what i saw. In fact They appear and disappear so quickly that it really should be a non-issue (and even then its better than a good deal of anime 3d I've seen.)

I had to watch the cafeteria overhead shot 3 times and specifically look for it before I realized that they were 3d models.

To me it seems that you have a very high standard of 3d in anime. But to each their own i guess.

javac

Some different shots of FMA and Tokyo Ghoul packaging:
Fullmetal Alchemist Complete Series
Standard:
sXtUoro.jpg

Limited:
KpK17hj.jpg

Collectors:
yfIFH0N.jpg

Tokyo Ghoul Season 1 Collector's Edition
pSv4z2r.jpg

hipbabboom

Having just rewatched the first bit of the first episode i'll give you the ground texture, that's pretty bad.

The 3d models aren't actually terrible from what i saw. In fact They appear and disappear so quickly that it really should be a non-issue (and even then its better than a good deal of anime 3d I've seen.)

I had to watch the cafeteria overhead shot 3 times and specifically look for it before I realized that they were 3d models.

To me it seems that you have a very high standard of 3d in anime. But to each their own i guess.

It may just be a me thing. I've always felt the place where 3D models worked best in anime was inorganic things (unless a lot of money is spent). Things like robots, structures or even ethereal looking beings and objects. It feels jarring to me when its an natural scene or things that are supposed to be human. I was relieved when they switched to traditional animation.

Mailbox

It may just be a me thing. I've always felt the place where 3D models worked best in anime was inorganic things (unless a lot of money is spent). Things like robots, structures or even ethereal looking beings and objects. It feels jarring to me when its an natural scene or things that are supposed to be human. I was relieved when they switched to traditional animation.

Yeah i completely get where you're coming from.
Although I always found that 3d works best when super fluid motions are completely necessary and are used to accent the shot (which is almost never).

I did like the 3d used in Your lie in april. Took me until I rewatched episodes 3 times while waiting for new ones to realize that the fingers used during piano close up scenes where 3d.

Anime vehicles like minivans and stuff always bump me the wrong way since they contrast way too heavily with other animation in the scene.

Anime vehicles like minivans and stuff always bump me the wrong way since they contrast way too heavily with other animation in the scene.

That damned car in Non Non Biyori...

Viewster -What is this?

It's this free streaming platform that uses ads, it's not that bad actually. I think only two ads per episode pop up, the mobile app is a bit wonky though.

The selection of anime, while small is pretty interesting so it's definitely worth it to check it out, a lot of shows leave the service after a while though.

Anyhow, the biggest advantage of Viewster is that it simulcasts some unavailable Funimation/Crunchyroll shows in Europe which is really cool.

Mailbox

This calls for an informal poll.

If you watch streaming anime through any of the following services, what's your opinion of their streaming player / stream quality / subtitle quality / etc? Please also mention whatever platform you're using (PC, mobile device, PS4, XB1...) since there might be variances between platforms even for the same service.

- Crunchyroll
- Funimation
- Daisuki
- Hulu
- Netflix
- Viewster
- AnimeLab
- any other legal sources I'm forgetting

- Crunchyroll (Like the platform and selection, though it can freeze up from time to time.)(PC, PS4, Mobile)

- Funimation (Very convoluted site structure for people not used to it. Player can be a bit finicky since you have to force a rebuffer in fullscreen to get proper quality. Quality on consoles aren't quite up to Cruncyroll's par. Gets way more hate than it deserves. OH and what's the deal with no rotation in the iphone app? I don't wanna have my volume buttons on the bottom...)
(PC, PS4, Mobile)

- Daisuki (Player isn't good and stutters a lot at 480p. Very limited selection that rotates seeming at random. If you have an alternative, use that instead. Mobile isn't bad though)
(PC, Mobile)

Honestly, the funimation player is pretty good if it wasn't for the fact that i have to rebuffer when going full screen. Why you can't see the buffered amount of video on crunchy's player is baffling, and Daisuki's PC player is a joke quality wise.

:/

Ascheroth

Soma 17

Everyone is saying this is the most uninteresting arc, am I the only one who keeps enjoying each episode without a single complaint? I mean to me this show has been a steady inflow of quality entertainment from episode 1 till now, everything so far has been great. They need to come out with an announcement for a second season in 2016 ASAP.

Nah, this episode was still as entertaining as ever. I'm pretty much of the same opinion as cajun: my only complaint is the new ED. Though that somehow seems to get more tolerable every episode, so who knows how I'll feel about it by the end of the season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I, for one, am outraged that you apparently missed my vital tweet on this subject!

- Male main character comes in contact with family heirloom which both controls and attracts yokai.

- A particularly strong yokai crosses paths with the main character due to the family heirloom

- The strong yokai and the main character fight, but nevertheless develop an alliance of sorts

Tweeters is hard! But I don't disagree. If there was more soft focus and less punching, this would be another season of Natsume. lol

With regarded to the above, I feel that the biggest problem with this season isn't necessarily it's formulaic structure, but it's pace. One of Symphogear's better features is it's rapid pace. Some episodes feel like their packed with 3 or more episodes worth of nonsense. Symphogear has always been bad, but there's an art to being fun and bad at the same time.

Symphogear GX, on the other hand, feels far more drawn out. It's still paced in a relatively normal fashion compared to, say, other anime, but that's not really a good thing. You don't want this show to linger on side characters and main characters emotional struggles and exposition as heavily as this season has done because that isn't interesting or entertaining. It's boring. Unlike, say, Wixoss or Black Rock Shooter TV the drama and struggle and characters aren't developed to the point where watching them talk is intriguing.

I don't mind where Symphogear GX is as the end of episode 5, but I feel like we should have gotten here by the end of episode 2 or, at a stretch, episode 3.

Still, perhaps I'm just feeling like this because this is the first season I've watched live.
Well, in particular having the characters depower themselves and Hibiki being broken yet again is kind of tiring. And if there is another season (I don't even know why there's a third season!) I'm half expecting all these new girl villains to be on Hibiki's side.

I wonder if they just don't have much of a story, so you do your typical arc so that in episode 7, you can actress deal with "new stuff". That way, they only need to think about what they're doing for 6 episodes instead of all 12.

Symphogear GX is kind of lacking compared to G, K2 punching aside.

I still enjoy it, though.
The opening was basically the moneyshot of the show. There's nowhere to go from there. lol

hipbabboom

I'm really liking the animated Gate series. I first few pages of the manga didn't grab me but I'm enjoying the anime.

Princes Pina Co Lada

*dead*

Classroom Crisis 05

So this episode was the long-awaited beach episode, of course something like this is totally neccesary in such a well-written, deep show like Classroom Crisis.

We started of in a bus, everyone was singing the OP of the show which was wierd since we heard the same song just a minute ago. Then they arrived at the beach which was basically a bunch of still frames.

After that we visited a bathhouse which suprisingly wasn't that foggy.

Anyhow, I don't get this show, on one hand it's trying to be "smart" with this whole "corporate intrigue" that's going on but for some reason it also uses every generic anime trope in the book, the question then becomes whether "generic anime tropes" are able to enhance a show which is built on economics and corporations, this is where the show falls flat.

The corporate intrigue is just straight up boring and unrealistic, nobody is really making any plans or something, there are some hints that our "villian" is going to do something later on but right now nothing interesting is really happening.

The comedy is also pretty bad, the only thing this episode proved is that our characters aren't really likeable or fun, there's just a bunch on random "non-characters" who fill up most of the screentime. Then there's Rei Ayanami and some girl who is interested in our villian but both of them aren't really complex, well designed or enjoyable.

It also doesn't help that the relationship between characters never get any deeper than "I want to protect character X".

All in all, this show tries to be everything but it's nothing noteworthy in the end.

cj_iwakura

I've seen everything until this new season, but i can't seem to watch it anymore. I kinda feel like this show doesn't go anywhere...

Hope it changes now.

Frankly it seems like more of the same. More shenanigans with existing characters, gradually introduce new ones, then it all hits the fan.

I'm okay with that, the show never fails to keep me entertained.

And Shinra Sr. is back.

fertygo

He'd probably label every show like yokai like that, or like everything else he not plan to watch till finish.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cinderella Girls 16

So who are all the extra girls? Just side-characters from the games?
Everyone outside the 765 cast (Haruka 'n' co) can basically be described as side girls. Cinderella Girls is literally 100s of them so the anime used some arbitrary method (i.e. didn't consult me) to select which ones to focus on. Due to the multi departmental structure of the company 346 Productions I think we're meant to assume all the other girls we've not seen are in another group within that building.

Bonus Anime Fact: Did you know Miku Maekawa has the same VA as Jotaro Kujo? No wonder she feels like she can take on the world.

fertygo

Bonus Anime Fact: Did you know Miku Maekawa has the same VA as Jotaro Kujo? No wonder she feels like she can take on the world.

Wat.. no way.

EDIT: I'm right, she voicing kid jotaro for like 30 sec, kinda bummed Ono D not just pull it himself :D

Everyone outside the 765 cast (Haruka 'n' co) can basically be described as side girls. Cinderella Girls is literally 100s of them so the anime used some arbitrary method (i.e. didn't consult me) to select which ones to focus on. Due to the multi departmental structure of the company 346 Productions I think we're meant to assume all the other girls we've not seen are in another group within that building.

Cool, so it's basically like the normies in Love Live SIF.
Are there any fan favorites that didn't get a role in the anime?

cajunator

Banned
Cinderella Girls 16

Like, I understand Mishiro's plan is to reduce focus on the character/gimmick idols and focus instead on making them stand out without that, but that's kind of hard to do when almost all the idols are already characterized by just their gimmicks.

Better without cat ears?
DOES NOT COMPUTE

Prism Nana getting an OVA release.

Nothing is known about it yet however.

Huh...this was reported by ANN yesterday? Old?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY OMG OMG OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I LOVE YOU SHAFT HAVE MY BABIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I've been using Daisuki for Cindy Girls. Anything above 480p is a stuttering mess. Almost unwatchable.

Is it that bad? any other option to watch it?

So I didn't see this posted here yet, and I thought it looked pretty cool, the first key visual for the Digimon Adventure Tri movie, out in November the 21st:

Still pretty bummed that this isn't a series, but whatever. If this means that we will get a higher quality product I am in. The fact that we are getting that Digimon game next year on the PS4/Vita has me hyped up for the series again.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cool, so it's basically like the normies in Love Live SIF.
Are there any fan favorites that didn't get a role in the anime?
Well as far as I know, using the non 765 girls in the Cinderella Girls game is a perfectly viable thing to do whereas the normies in LLSIF are basically pointless once you get a full team of μ's members, only good for grinding loveca. That's why they could make a Cindy Gal anime, merch and even another spinoff game (a spinoff or a spinoff!) since the Cindy Gal exclusive girls have earned a bit of a following wheres whoever is in charge in the Love Live committee basically cocked things up and missed out on potential extra revenue. Not even the new Love Live anime is about the LLSIF normies but a bunch of unknown new girls.

Someone else would have to answer that last question as I don't really follow the fan culture (I tend to carve my own).

Can you elaborate? You mean a second season is confirmed? Have any dates been announced?

He's probably talking about the guy above him.

Anyway we'll probably see a second season, at least that's what I hope. Maybe UlimateMegax could elaborate on the potential of more Euphonium.

He's probably talking about the guy above him.

Anyway we'll probably see a second season, at least that's what I hope. Maybe UlimateMegax could elaborate on the potential of more Euphonium.

Nothing is confirmed and we likely won't hear anything about a confirmation until late October at either the events on October 24/31 or the KyoAni/Do events on October 31/November 1. The likelihood of more being made is very good, though I can't specifically state if it'll be a full second season or a movie.

There is definitely an OVA included in the final BD/DVD volume in December, but that is not related to a sequel decision in this instance.

Defuser

Knowing KyoAni, they probably gonna have a second season and a movie like most of their series.

Plot Twist: Amagi gets a second season while Euphonium doesn't lol.

Nothing is confirmed and we likely won't hear anything about a confirmation until late October at either the events on October 24/31 or the KyoAni/Do events on October 31/November 1. The likelihood of more being made is very good, though I can't specifically state if it'll be a full second season or a movie.

Wouldn't a movie be a bit wierd though? if I recall correctly there are still a bunch of books left so it would be hard to cover everything. Maybe there is some arc that would perfectly fit into a movie format?

Defuser

Wouldn't a movie be a bit wierd though? if I recall correctly there are still a bunch of books left so it would be hard to cover everything. Is there some arc that would perfectly fit into a movie format?

Who says a movie have to be from the books? A original movie plot.

Mandelbo

I just remembered that Shimoneta airs today and all of a sudden I'm impatient for it to start already! Very much looking forward to what depths of depravity
Anna
will go to next!

Wouldn't a movie be a bit wierd though? if I recall correctly there are still a bunch of books left so it would be hard to cover everything. Maybe there is some arc that would perfectly fit into a movie format?

There are two books that finish the storyline started in the first novel and a collection of shorts in another novel. While a movie would not cover everything written, it could bring a conclusion to the story by adapting the parts of the other two novels into a single piece. Additionally, you could see each of novels 2 and 3 adapted into two movies released similarly to the Kyoukai films (a month apart).

Aoharu x Machinegun Episode 5 – I Don't Want to Leave the Team!
CLU-0BpWIAAjeSh.png

Best line.

I hope this part of the plot gets pushed back. Dont know why Hotaru is needing to make the reveal this soon, why not after TGC?

Cornbread78

I just remembered that Shimoneta airs today and all of a sudden I'm impatient for it to start already! Very much looking forward to what depths of depravity
Anna
will go to next!

Sounds good to me. Maybe she'll go for more, but it'll definitely be an odd moment in the student council room.

Jintor

Digimon Tri PV: https://youtu.be/vIGcjZ2nxbI
Damn that fight at the end looks cool.

huh. still not sure how to feel. On the whole I think it looks good, but... there's no sense of weight to the regular real-life bits, and the environments in particular feel really fragile, thin... weightless.

I think they put all the animation on the actual digimon.

and they look fucking awesome, so... i guess on balance it's cool.

what the hell bug thing is greymon fighting? one of those bug things from adventure 01 that could digivolve from kabuterimon?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Prison School 4
Kiyoshi prison break scene is too damn gooooooood!
Gakuto piss and shit himself to get himself a sangokushi figurine. He deseve to be called the truest sangokushi fan of all time.

huh. still not sure how to feel. On the whole I think it looks good, but... there's no sense of weight to the regular real-life bits, and the environments in particular feel really fragile, thin... weightless.

I think they put all the animation on the actual digimon.

and they look fucking awesome, so... i guess on balance it's cool.

what the hell bug thing is greymon fighting? one of those bug things from adventure 01 that could digivolve from kabuterimon?

Greymon is fighting Kuwagamon. He's the very first Digimon the Chosen Children fought in Adventure.

Saudades

Prison School 2-4
Pacing has mostly improved since episode one. I wish they'd left the part when Gakuto pulls off the president's skirt for ep 4 though, just to make the context for this reaction shot clearer (Gakuto deciding to sacrifice his hair).
Other than that this adaption has been nailing the parts I love so far.

So can we expect a lot of new announcements at Comiket later in August or is there another event for major news down the road?
Knowing Comiket it's prob a fuckton of new PVs and about half a dozen new announcements.
prison school 4

next week

NEXT WEEK

NEXT WEEK
Wait, what is next week? Next week is just
Kiyoshi's return and the bullying
isn't it? Brokuto's best moment is still way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom