• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Charlotte Episode 5:

Well, I suppose I can appreciate the fact that they spent some time actually developing some of the characters this episode, this is still not a cast I really wanted to watch go camping and really I hope next episode delivers on something.

Shimoneta - 05

Haha Anna went full Yuno, she's a monster! Love juice creating a rainbow and cookies, I can't.. even..
Sleepy chan saves the day, I'm glad she's on board. This show so fun to watch, and it seems like it's just the beginning
OEBBmsT.jpg
4r4YS7P.jpg

phaze

Shimoneta 05

Anna might have evolved into standard yandere but damn if she isn't entertaining most of the time. Maybe the funniest ep yet. Pretty fast paced too, thought the signature campaign will still be the focus for the next one or two episodes.

AOTS.

Shimoneta 05

Anna has no chill lmao she makes Homura in Rebellion look subdued when it comes to love

Also I'm gonna need people to screencap the BDs because I cannot tell what they are supposed to be censoring sometimes. Like that docking drawing! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THAT?

Shimoneta 05

Anna has no chill lmao she makes Homura in Rebellion look subdued when it comes to love

Also I'm gonna need people to screencap the BDs because I cannot tell what they are supposed to be censoring sometimes. Like that docking drawing! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THAT?

Docking of course.

John Blade

Man....this special remind me quite a bit of the beginning of Ah My Goddess when Belldandy come to Keiichi home and grant him one wish and Keiichi say,"I wish for a goddess like you to stay by my side forever." This is literally the same idea in this special. Not saying I hate it but just funny to see the same idea for another show.

A fun special I will say. This special is a standalone but I guess this took place way before Kaoru meet Aoi for the 1st time in season 1 and before Tina leave Japan for a one year trip. Also, you see all the characters in this show but I guess they don't know Kaoru as of now.

This might be the 1st time we heard Kaoru mom talk to him. It's a dream scene but it's interesting to hear her for the 1st time. Also, it's a touching scene for Kaoru.

Overall, a fun special to watch.

Precure All Stars Spring Carnival

CLTp-ZTUwAALEEb.png

Really, the only reason to watch this is for the CG dancing. The anime stuff is pretty much like a massive recap during the dancing.

CLTqSc4UkAAnfbd.png
CLTrk6GVEAA6PzP.png
CLTrk08VAAAsT5D.png

Other than that, I feel sorry for the Go! Princess Precures. This might be the worst Allstars movie to be recently released. Probably doesn't help that HapCha's movie bombed, despite it being good.

CLTloHIVEAA6uRk.png

Hime will be missed

Mailbox

Yeah this really feels like propaganda for the Japanese defence force. That said its not bad by any means, it's actually quite enjoyable. Now that they got past the whole "can you believe this otaku dream world" thing, the tension and show-feel seem to be getting better.

Is anyone else getting chaika Vibes from this series? Not that that's a bad thing or anything, I actually enjoyed chaika.

kewlmyc

Charlotte 05

The little sister caught a cold!? Welp, she's gonna be dead by the end of the season.

Shimoneta 05

AT-X is already airing the uncensored version iirc. It's not hard to find in the usual places.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatchaman Crowds Insight Episode 5:

Okay, I am officially tired of the leader of VAPE as his political philosophies are just too simplistic for the actual debates going on in this season.

e_i

Shimoneta - 05

Haha Anna went full Yuno, she's a monster! Love juice creating a rainbow and cookies, I can't.. even..
Sleepy chan saves the day, I'm glad she's on board. This show so fun to watch, and it seems like it's just the beginning

I really hope the rest of the series is Anna going fuck insane.

Gintama 282

Holy shit I'm completely dead. This episode killed me inside, I couldn't stop laughing it was too much. I thought I would find a anime this season that would be AOTS but I'm sorry to say Gintama takes it easily. There hasn't been an anime like this episode that has made me laugh this fucking hard this season. I had to seriously calm myself down. First they parody To Love Ru, then Kuroko no Basuke, and finally Saint Seiya. Oh My God was this too good. Then they bring up Toei of all people and then they showed Bandai Namco Pictures getting a call from a Copyright Agency.

Fuck this specific scene with this quote killed me "Moshi Moshi? Boku, Jabu".

This episode was GOLD, GOLD I'm telling you.

This was too good.😆

phaze

Mushishi 26 END

A lowkey and a bit weird ending, in that Ginko had less to do here than usually and most of the episode too place when he was still a kid and in process shed some more light on his past. I do hope there will eventually be another episode featuring the Mushi that away his eye. I will be jumping straight into Zoku and maybe write something more substantial there(Though I dunno Mushishi is this weird show that mostly leaves me bereft of coherent things to say about it.) but this was just a real treat and as far as the more episodic, non-comedic shows go, one I enjoyed the most. It could have easily become repetitive and dull but the source material keeps things varied, inventive and isn't afraid to repeatedly pull the rug from under the viewer expecting a happy ending. I've seen Ginko described as infallible and while this was my fear too at the beginning, I don't think I can agree. He stumbles or is unable to deal with the situation quite a few times and even when he manages to fix the Mushi problem, he's incapable of healing the impact it already had on the villages the Mushi plagued. One thing that bothered me a bit was the reuse of some of the OST and sound effects in specific moments. Nothing that really impaired my enjoyment though. I think episodes 06, 09,11,12, 19, 25 were my personal highs but outside of maybe 3/4 weaker outings, they all kept to very elevated standards. Good stuff.

Qurupeke

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 5

You know how dangerous Gelsadra is going to be when every antagonist so far agrees on that. lol Anyway, the episode was nice. It was fun seeing the various parties' campaigns. I liked the way they lynched Suguyama and people went after what seemed like the most different choice. We're just entering Gel-kun's reign so the next episodes should be fun. Also, I wonder if Rizumu is going to be good by the end of the season. I mean, even Berg Katze seems to have settled like that. And we still don't know what the Red-Blue-White creatures on the OP are...

Ascheroth

Rokka - 05

New openingby the 5th episode? Quite unusual, but not that I have a problem with that. It's pretty cool.
---------------------------------------------
Wow, that went by fast, even though the entire episode was basically only talking (take notes, UBW staff). I seriously have no idea who the culprit is going to be or how he activated the barrier - assuming everything we learned this episode is true, which it probably isn't, since Flamie even pointed it out that one of them has to be lying.
We also learn more about the three braves that just joined up last episode, which now also makes them all suspect material. Personally I'm most annoyed by Chamot and like Hans the most, but they are all equally suspicious. And if we're talking about suspicios: Nashetanya (or however you spell her) suddenly feeling dizzy was plenty suspicious. But I'm hoping it's Goldov, I can't stand him.
Oh yeah, the absence of CG fiends made this episode even better!

JulianImp

Classroom Crisis - EP5
Man, this show has quickly fallen off a cliff for me, since I was expecting more managing and restructuring and less of a friendly atmosphere between the class and the guys doing the restructuring. The tone is so much different from what I expected that I can't help but be put off by how much it's relying on the cast's differences for comedy's sake only.

I would've beared with a beach/hot springs episode, but doing it so early makes it feel like the show's already running out of steam before it's even gotten started.

Also, misaligned layers because of reasons.

cajunator

Banned
Classroom Crisis 05

So this episode was the long-awaited beach episode, of course something like this is totally neccesary in such a well-written, deep show like Classroom Crisis.

We started of in a bus, everyone was singing the OP of the show which was wierd since we heard the same song just a minute ago. Then they arrived at the beach which was basically a bunch of still frames.

After that we visited a bathhouse which suprisingly wasn't that foggy.

Anyhow, I don't get this show, on one hand it's trying to be "smart" with this whole "corporate intrigue" that's going on but for some reason it also uses every generic anime trope in the book, the question then becomes whether "generic anime tropes" are able to enhance a show which is built on economics and corporations, this is where the show falls flat.

The corporate intrigue is just straight up boring and unrealistic, nobody is really making any plans or something, there are some hints that our "villian" is going to do something later on but right now nothing interesting is really happening.

The comedy is also pretty bad, the only thing this episode proved is that our characters aren't really likeable or fun, there's just a bunch on random "non-characters" who fill up most of the screentime. Then there's Rei Ayanami and some girl who is interested in our villian but both of them aren't really complex, well designed or enjoyable.

It also doesn't help that the relationship between characters never get any deeper than "I want to protect character X".

All in all, this show tries to be everything but it's nothing noteworthy in the end.

I dunno how I forgot about this one. I guess the name doesnt stand out. but it has character designs by Kanzaki Hiro and that alone makes it something I want to see!

Classroom Crisis-5

I should have dropped this show. The corporate politics stuff is the most interesting component of the show but everything else is as dull as dishwater. Not to mention the budget being obviously nil.

What is this show actually about? I still cant tell really.

Hibike! Euphonium episode 1
And so I join the ranks of this anime, already I can see alot of the sublte and not so subtle yuri moments and im all for it, the childhood friend is just there to satisfy the safe audience but we all know where the real romance will be.

Also, being in band from 4th grade all the way to freshmen year of highschool, there are some things I related and some not like that grading system, I guess that is a japanese thing, but it also paints the opposite of me, I was a percussionist but had a bad year in band my freshman year, didnt play as well as I use to and because I messed up when joining I didnt make the drumline which meant I was playing on bells, something I never fully learned to play in the past, drumline the movie is a good representation of myself in band.

Excellent series. I am sure you will enjoy it especially if you were in band! As someone who never was, I found it fascinating, and Thoraxes comparisons to real life band made this an unexpected delight to watch.

After Akame ga Kill! rewatch, I've decided that the series is a solid 6/10 anime. The whole thing is plagued by obvious death flags, a failure to build an interesting world, some strange desire to be a harem anime, and few instances of game terminology like "leveling up" being thrown around that I am going to blame on the translators. With that being said, I think the series did a lot right and my fundamental issue with the whole thing is that it's a shonen and not leaning closer to a more mature story. The first four episodes are fairly awful, mostly because of the quick pace of the show forcing narrative to rush over things, but after that things improve. I helped myself get through those first few episodes by telling myself the story was through Akame's POV and those early memories might be a bit more happy than they really were. Keeping that in mind, I further justified the abrupt shifts between despair and elation that the series goes through by assuming it was meant to be representative of the lives the Night Raid must lead - each day swinging them to and from the edge of death.

tl;dr Watched Akame ga Kill two times in a row, gave it a solid 6/10 rating, enjoyed it like a 10/10 regardless.

Akame Ga Kill deserves at least a 9/10 for Esdeath but otherwise yeah it wasnt very special. Kinda ballsy though.

That damned car in Non Non Biyori...

It's this free streaming platform that uses ads, it's not that bad actually. I think only two ads per episode pop up, the mobile app is a bit wonky though.

The selection of anime, while small is pretty interesting so it's definitely worth it to check it out, a lot of shows leave the service after a while though.

Anyhow, the biggest advantage of Viewster is that it simulcasts some unavailable Funimation/Crunchyroll shows in Europe which is really cool.

Oh I see. Thanks for the info!
Good that it helps people outside the US.

Knowing KyoAni, they probably gonna have a second season and a movie like most of their series.

Plot Twist: Amagi gets a second season while Euphonium doesn't lol.

Would much rather Amagi got one, to be honest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I certainly feel like they're doing their best to stretch 6 episodes worth of plot into 12. It's very, er, noticeable.
I wonder what they'd do if there was a fourth season. Same arc again? :p

cinderella girls 16

So when is Producer going to get the shit fired out of him for going over the new boss lady's head? Because I know that fucking episode is coming and the girls are going the fuck off when it does?
It's Major League! The ball is going to be a huge success and she has no choice but to accept what he's done. Although she seems to hedge her bets by saying she doesn't care if he succeeds anyway.

Psycho-Pass the Movie

What's worse than Urobuchi's cringe worthy dialogue compromised of characters quoting from literature and philosophy? Try listening to that shit in awkward English voiced by Japanese actors. The "English" dialogue in the film is seriously awful, and there's quite a lot of it. Really puzzling choice, but I guess they figured the Japanese audience won't know the difference. :p
Sounds like the unholy fusion of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and Blood: the Last Vampire.

Rokka 05

Wow geez, I think I solved it.

Bunny girl is able to move swords, she placed it in the stone obviously.

On the other hand.

Last episode it was mentioned that some other braves already moved through the city, assuming it was Chester the guards would've told her about the temple but for some reason she doesn't know anything about it (even though she has the key which could be used to open and close the door I guess). She's also not someone who's supposed to be suspicious by design.

I dunno how I forgot about this one. I guess the name doesnt stand out. but it has character designs by Kanzaki Hiro and that alone makes it something I want to see!
-------------------------
What is this show actually about? I still cant tell really.

It's about these kids who go to this highly advanced engineering school, because they waste loads of money the company who's running the school tries to shut them down by sending in this child-prodigy as a transfer student. Meanwhile we also see the child-prodigy trying to move up in the ranks of the company.

Character designs aren't anything special, if that's the main reason why you're planning to watch it I wouldn't say that it's going to be worth it. Still check it out, you never know if you like it.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight Episode 5:

Okay, I am officially tired of the leader of VAPE as his political philosophies are just too simplistic for the actual debates going on in this season.

Isn't that kind of the point? It's all just extremes - Tsubasa and Gel with their extreme of order opposite Hajime/Katze's extreme of chaos; Rui and Vapelord opposing extremes of faith and faithlessness respectively. Obviously Hajime and Joe are far more interesting, but I can't imagine Vapelord's ridiculous dismissal of humanity won't get torn down just like Rui's insane belief did.

Sterok

Charlotte 5

Character development. Shipping. Yuu is a smart person that cares for his health. Nao doesn't seem to mind getting beat up much. I wonder what the reason is. Sister dying is too obvious, so it won't happen yet. Some other terrible thing will happen to her.

Precure All Stars Spring Carnival

Well that was pretty terrible. Not helped for me by the fact that I'm marathoning Aikatsu right now, which also has a bunch of CG dancing, though that's timing. Should've seen this coming though. They really didn't hide the fact that they were skimping on the voice budget. Which is even worse considering how much time is taken up by old songs.

I need to count to see if they got every fairy. Now I'm imagining that Nagisa and Honoka are still fighting Zakenna in their free time. Bright/Windy cameo. Dream still bragging that she's the only Cure that got somewhere. Though she looked and sounded off. Reminder that Setsuna is in Labyrinth. Tsubomi and Erika continue their perfect attendance since appearance record. Erika is stealing the show as always. Suite got a bunch of cameos for some reason. Decent Mana jokes here. Hime got to take advantage of princess knowledge for once. That's one way to open a switch. Haruka's arc was even more underwhelming than the usual fare. Fights were incredibly lame for a movie. There wasn't even the obligatory Black and White do something crazy awesome fare.

The main dance, Erika, and Hime were the only redeeming factors this time. Otherwise this is easily the weakest of the All Stars movies. Hopefully the next two don't take after this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Isn't that kind of the point? It's all just extremes - Tsubasa and Gel with their extreme of order opposite Hajime/Katze's extreme of chaos; Rui and Vapelord opposing extremes of faith and faithlessness respectively. Obviously Hajime and Joe are far more interesting, but I can't imagine Vapelord's ridiculous dismissal of humanity won't get torn down just like Rui's insane belief did.

I just don't want to listen to him anymore, he is annoying, which is another point that Insight is trying to make this season, shallowness matters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shimoneta 5
So I feel like all the money shots have been posted, but a few of the things that came up for me last week were directly addressed by the show itself.
0mYs9yPl.png

8q4UR3nl.png

They even dealt with the fact that he was "forced" to be in the club in the first place. It's nice that the show is self-aware enough to want to at least think about these issues, even if it doesn't necessarily say anything. Although I respect that by not condemning Anna, there isn't any real blame being placed on her for her actions - it's literally because she has lived such a sheltered life that she doesn't know any better... it just manifests itself in the strangest way possible.

The one thing that was really strange about the episode was the last 10 minutes, where it turned into an epilogue that seemingly wrapped up the series. There's the tag at the end that hints at something coming up next week, but it's strange how it just ends with this expository infodump... I guess there was nothing left to do after resolving the main "problem" introduced in the beginning of the show, but it almost feels like a shounen arc where they finished one adventure and are now heading off to find a new enemy to fight.

Rokka 05

Wow geez, I think I solved it.

Bunny girl is able to move swords, she placed it in the stone obviously.

But the question is, the door was closed, so how it happened? I can only think
she can introduce one the swords through a sliver (between the door and the ground maybe?) if we suppose she doesn't need to "see" to handle the movement of the sword.

But the question is, the door was closed, so how it happened? I can only think
she can introduce one the swords through a sliver (between the door and the ground maybe?) if we suppose she doesn't need to "see" to handle the movement of the sword.

Yeah, she also needs to place her hand on the altar so it wouldn't work either way.

My second theory seems more likely I guess.

kewlmyc

Gatchaman Crowds 05

Everyone blindly following Gel-kun like this is disturbing. What's going to happen the moment the masses wish for something terrible like getting rid of an entire country or group of people? Orange hair brought up a lot of valid points. Can't wait to see how badly Gel fucks this entire thing up.

Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers- Episode 5 – The Seventh Brave

I was hoping Hime-sama or Chamot is the fake Brave. Flamie would be too obvious and was one I was hoping would be authentic, same for Hans (best Rokka).
we know its not Adlet since we saw the magical scene with him get it

Jarmel

Banned
Quick comment on Shimoneta but I found it interesting so far that the females are in total charge of that world up to this point. The high chunk of sexually aggressive characters so far has been female. Even when the students were storming the forest, it was the females who tricked the males and taking all the goods.

Kenstar

How do we even know that Cat-Kun is telling the truth? He's the most ambiguous and untrustworthy person there, no one has ever heard of his ass but his word is law? At least send someone to verify his statements

Shouta

Yeah this really feels like propaganda for the Japanese defence force. That said its not bad by any means, it's actually quite enjoyable. Now that they got past the whole "can you believe this otaku dream world" thing, the tension and show-feel seem to be getting better.

Is anyone else getting chaika Vibes from this series? Not that that's a bad thing or anything, I actually enjoyed chaika.

The author is a former member of the JSDF which is why there's a more neutral to positive outlook on them when compared to other things. I ended up reading the manga and it's definitely a lot less propogandaish and a bitmore neutral as the series goes on. I feel like it gets a bit more plainly into who and what they are (and what they can/can't do). There's a few minor moments of chest thumping but it's pretty brief.

How do we even know that Cat-Kun is telling the truth? He's the most ambiguous and untrustworthy person there, no one has ever heard of his ass but his word is law? At least send someone to verify his statements

Him bailing out Flamie seems to put him in the safe zone, also the fact that he's super untrustworthy makes him look like a giant red herring, same with Flamie and the little girl.

He's also an assassin apparently so he has a good reason to be unknown.

Jarmel

Banned
The author is a former member of the JSDF which is why there's a more neutral to positive outlook on them when compared to other things. I ended up reading the manga and it's definitely a lot less propogandaish and a bitmore neutral as the series goes on. I feel like it gets a bit more plainly into who and what they are (and what they can/can't do). There's a few minor moments of chest thumping but it's pretty brief.

Makes sense considering some of the in-jokes. I figured he was either ex-JSDF or hired a military adviser.

Mailbox

huh, didn't know that but that makes perfect sense.

Kinda makes this series a bit more enjoyable tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom