• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reccomendation request: I'm looking for some great (and really great, not just decent or good) mecha title. I've got Patlabor and War in my Pocket on my to do list but was just wondering if i'm missing something worthwhile outside of that.

Requirements: Not longer than 26 episodes, at least above average on the visual side of things, strong main narrative and no or very little of episodic or "monster of the week" content, preferably newer as I have a bit of ingrained dislike of 80's&90's chara design and colours, if possible something on the more serious side of things but I will take what I can get. (My two favourite shows weren't very serious for long stretches after all.)

Stuff I've seen so far:

Loved: Diebuster, Gurren Lagann

Other stuff I've seen: Giant Robo, Big O, bit of GBF, Break Blade, Gunbuster, probably more but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Atrocities that I've seen: Gundam Wing + Movie, Aldnoah Zero, 3/4 eps of Reconguista

Buddy Complex demands your time.
Valvrave as well
Fafner + Fafner Movie + Fafner Exodus

Narag

Reccomendation request: I'm looking for some great (and really great, not just decent or good) mecha title. I've got Patlabor and War in my Pocket on my to do list but was just wondering if i'm missing something worthwhile outside of that.

Requirements: Not longer than 26 episodes, at least above average on the visual side of things, strong main narrative and no or very little of episodic or "monster of the week" content, preferably newer as I have a bit of ingrained dislike of 80's&90's chara design and colours, if possible something on the more serious side of things but I will take what I can get. (My two favourite shows weren't very serious for long stretches after all.)

Stuff I've seen so far:

Loved: Diebuster, Gurren Lagann

Other stuff I've seen: Giant Robo, Big O, bit of GBF, Break Blade, Gunbuster, probably more but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Atrocities that I've seen: Gundam Wing + Movie, Aldnoah Zero, 3/4 eps of Reconguista

Macross Plus?

This really must be "controversial discussions where no one is ever going to change their view, but we'll keep yelling at each other anyway" day if we're now bringing up Rebellion.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is AnimeGaf always like this? o_O
Because honestly, this "your-favourite-anime-is-shit posting" is pretty embarassing.
Like, can't we just agree there are things like, you know, different tastes and opinions and such?
I mean, I watch anime others think is bad and others watch anime I think is bad. Do I mind it if someone doesn't like what I watch and thinks it's bad? Not a all. But the pointless hate on the last few pages was pretty annoying.
I just find it funny that Hyouka is shit is the new K-On is shit. :p

Taruranto

YE7k8Fp.jpg

At least Hyouka wasn't Beyond the Boundary, I mean good god what the fuck Koyto Animation.

I remember when people were hyped for it.

Like what the premise + LN format didn't entirely reveal its quality level.

Because honestly, this "your-favourite-anime-is-shit posting" is pretty embarassing.
Like, can't we just agree there are things like, you know, different tastes and opinions and such?
I mean, I watch anime others think is bad and others watch anime I think is bad. Do I mind it if someone doesn't like what I watch and thinks it's bad? Not a all. But the pointless hate on the last few pages was pretty annoying.

AnimeGAF isn't perfect but this isn't the norm. We're usually just posting episode reactions and discussing what we like/dislike about a show currently airing or one somebody is watching from a backlog and posting reactions. This is a downtime. We just went through a whole season of people not shutting up about 'yuri baiting' and this summer we'll likely be stressed out with some of the classier shows airing this season.

But honestly I'll take AnimeGAF anyday over one of those communities where they just post ^_^ so kawaii senpai-kun. When we're usually actually seriously discussing topics we go pretty in depth. We don't only call your favorite anime shit. We go through every detail about it. Whether it's baby poop green, if it has corn, etc...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
yeah, there's good taste and bad taste :^)

yay another ~everything is equal, there is no good and bad~ post

Mandelbo

Don't worry, most of us are watching anime rather than bickering. On that note...

Princess Tutu 07

That's me finished with this for today, and I remember now that early on in the show stagnates a bit, with not a lot actually happening until
Kraehe
shows up, because then Tutu actually has a rival. Ahiru's internal conflict over whether what she's doing is actually beneficial to Mytho is great, and we see her
deviate from the story - I imagine, given Drosselmeyer's reaction to this, that such deviations will become important later on.

My aim tomorrow is to get back to episode 12, since then I'll have covered all the content I've already seen and will hopefully get some new juicy plot nuggets!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is why I think for all of it issues Sound! Euphonium is the superior show to Hyokua and K-ON! Euph had the character interactions and interplay that studio is known for but also actually wrapped itself in a solid premise that didn't have me feeling like I wasting my life, after a certain amount of episodes at least.

Quasar

Well that sentiment is always there. Just a bit more obvious between seasons. For some reason the console war mentality comes out in this way in media. Kind of a shame people can't be a bit more mature about it all.

It's not always like this, thankfully. But there certainly has been an increase in this kind of posting in recent memory.

It surely wasn't a lot like this though when I first joined! Now a lot of people really feel the need to drive-by post and say how much they dislike a certain anime that's getting a lot of praise without giving an explanation why other than "I don't like it therefore it sucks and is a bad anime that you shouldn't watch".

duckroll

This is what happens when people aren't watching anime, they are sniping at each other calling each others favorite animes shit :(

On a curious note, this just popped up from the Migthy No. 9 update. Seems to be a new project headed up by Comcept and Studio 4C. Not sure if its an anime, a game or transmedia but we should learn more Saturday. Anyone (duckroll?)heard anything about this before?

The Bloodstained KS also updated to pimp the tease, and they seem to strongly suggest that it's another old-retro-ish-type-game-revival of sorts, like MN9 and Bloodstained. So I assume it's a game. Dunno.

jbug617

Banned
The Bloodstained KS also updated to pimp the tease, and they seem to strongly suggest that it's another old-retro-ish-type-game-revival of sorts, like MN9 and Bloodstained. So I assume it's a game. Dunno.

Inafune is doing a Mega Man Legends type of game next. Expect the Kickstarter to launch on Saturday.

What was the controversy with bloodstained anyways? If I recall it's similar to the Shenmue 3 controversy but can't recall.

How much money needs to change hands for Baby Steps to be appointed Anime of the Year this year?

I'm asking for a friend of mine.

Love the manga but I didn't watch the anime. From what I saw it had horrible animation. If you want a vote for Manga of the year though you have my paw but Prison School would win lol

edit 2: wait nvm, One Punch Man would win for me. I take my paw back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not always like this, thankfully. But there certainly has been an increase in this kind of posting in recent memory.

It surely wasn't a lot like this though when I first joined! Now a lot of people really feel the need to drive-by post and say how much they dislike a certain anime that's getting a lot of praise without giving an explanation why other than "I don't like it therefore it sucks and is a bad anime that you shouldn't watch".
It's always a KyoAni show.

There was a brief time when Nichijou was the show that sucked.

RIP Ultimadrago.

jbug617

Banned
Guys consider Etotama at the end of the year. Made me believe in CGI.

What was the controversy with bloodstained anyways? If I recall it's similar to the Shenmue 3 controversy but can't recall.

He had a outside source backing him but needed proof people wanted it. Kickstarter was used for that.

PK Gaming

Gatchaman Crowds 5-6

I came for hero busting action, but I stayed for everyday people working together to saving the day. That doesn't sound very appealing on paper, but it's really engaging in practice. Rui continues to be the star attraction, but Hajime ain't no slouch either. Getting caught up in her "pace" is the key to enjoying really enjoying the character (and arguably the show, I feel). The actress's voice acting is seriously top notch. So far, there's been a ton of buildup and i'm really interested in seeing how things play out in future episodes.

Hopefully it sticks the landing!

Acosta

AnimeGAF isn't perfect but this isn't the norm. We're usually just posting episode reactions and discussing what we like/dislike about a show currently airing or one somebody is watching from a backlog and posting reactions. This is a downtime. We just went through a whole season of people not shutting up about 'yuri baiting' and this summer we'll likely be stressed out with some of the classier shows airing this season.

But honestly I'll take AnimeGAF anyday over one of those communities where they just post ^_^ so kawaii senpai-kun. When we're usually actually seriously discussing topics we go pretty in depth. We don't only call your favorite anime shit. We go through every detail about it. Whether it's baby poop green, if it has corn, etc...

Are you implying that Yuriphonium saved us from our own destruction?

I can bring back that!

Ok guys, yuri or not yuri?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I was on the "nichijou sucked" side of things until I rewatched it last year and I actually like it quite a bit now. might be a mood dependent thing.

I was on the "nichijou sucked" side of things until I rewatched it last year and I actually like it quite a bit now. might be a mood dependent thing.

Honestly Nichijou never reached the highs of Nichibros, but I laughed more consistently with it. Nichibros had plenty of highs (my favorite being the bicycle story and all of the poet girl ones) but when it had a shit skit it was shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a very specific type of nonsequitor comedy, and even then the jokes are also fairly varied like in a long running sketch comedy show, so I can see that.
Kanon #4??

Honestly Nichijou never reached the highs of Nichibros, but I laughed more consistently with it. Nichibros had plenty of highs (my favorite being the bicycle story and all of the poet girl ones) but when it had a shit skit it was shit.
Best part of that show was the bit with the Nichi-shoujos at the end though.

Official KyoAni ranking
  1. Endless Eight
  2. The rest
I could also live with this. lol

convo

There is none because it's in the fucking Kickstarter description that the game needs money and outside investors are helping out and it was deep silver who is gonna help publish that game. No surprises or controversies there for people who can read and aren't fucking imbeciles looking at it with inverted binoculars from the moon like the majority of the internet sadly.

phaze

Go watch Trigun and The Skull Man.

But for Mecha? Code Geass and Armored Trooper Votoms.

Votoms is too long and I'm not big a fan of the aesthethic.

Code Geass is hmmm Code Geass. From everything I've read about it it doesn't seem to be the kind of "good" I'm looking for. And isn't it two 26 ep long seasons ?

+Those Clamp designs <pukes>

Looks awfully well oldschool for a show released so recently but I'll investigate further.

Buddy Complex demands your time.
Valvrave as well
Fafner + Fafner Movie + Fafner Exodus

I think I've learned enough Valvrave from MetroidPrimeRib's impressions lol.

I'll check info on the other two.

Macross Plus?

I've no clue about the Macross franchise. Is this edible without having seen anything else in the series ?

Ascheroth

Got it.
That's good to know, because normal AnimeGAF has been pretty great. I don't really post much, but I like reading all the episode impressions and anime analyses. And I've also found a few animes that I enjoyed here that I'm pretty sure I'd never noticed otherwise.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's a show that's easier to appreciate after the fact because very little is being made like it.

Narag

I've no clue about the Macross franchise. Is this edible without having seen anything else in the series ?

Yeah, it's fairly well self-contained and just 4 eps. Regarding VOTOMS though, it really is top tier stuff. The first arc is 13 eps and worth at least visiting if you're serious about checking out the best of the best. You'd know from that if you wanted to continue or not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's fairly well self-contained and just 4 eps. Regarding VOTOMS though, it really is top tier stuff. The first arc is 13 eps and worth at least visiting if you're serious about checking out the best of the best. You'd know from that if you wanted to continue or not.
I would unironically suggest watching Macross Frontier. The final battle/musical medley is still one of the best things.

phaze

I'd love to watch anime and not bicker, but the next anime on my backlog is fucking Texhnolyze and lord knows I don't have the energy to go through that.

So you did at least finish Shigurui !

Alrighty, on to the list it goes.

re: Votoms. Maybe when my scars from watching a certain 72 episodes long waste of space heal. After watching the first 13 eps I probably wouldn't be able to drop it anyway. :(

I appreciate all the replies guys. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom