• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd watch NGNL (IIRC I think I even watched the first episode while it was airing), because keikaku stuff is something I really enjoy thanks to Death Note and Code Geass.

But while I generally tolerate fanservice in anime, the stuff I've heard that's in NGNL seems to be something I'd rather not have anything to do with.

SAMURAI FLAMENCO WAS FUCKING ROBBED

Indeed it was.

JulianImp

NGNL would be great but do u think most that frequently come here have already seen it?
I would add D-Frag and Kokoro Connect to that as well. Do u think more people have watched those?

Chipping in on Kokoro Connect just in case. It's a really great character drama that uses crazy fantastic elements (such as the main cast randomly swapping bodies with each other) as a plot device to reveal things about the cast that they'd rather hide, even from their closest friends. The main theme of the show (IMO) is that it's good to open up to your friends and ask for help rather than keeping things to yourself.

I really liked how the show managed to tackle love and sexuality without succumbing to the temptation of throwing in fanservice for fanservice's sake (except for the obvious result of one of the boys swapping bodies with one of the girls in the very first episode, with predictable results). By the way, when I say sexuality I don't mean actual ecchi, but more things like... well, I don't want to spoil stuff, so I guess I'll leave it at "no ecchi".

I'd watch NGNL (IIRC I think I even watched the first episode while it was airing), because keikaku stuff is something I really enjoy thanks to Death Note and Code Geass.

Watch Kaiji and Agaki

I had no idea that NGNL had a bad reputation around here, I enjoyed it a lot and I'm excited for season 2.

I'm sure it was in my top 10.

Most people who watched it liked it, but most people who like it include the caveat of grossness

John Blade

True, Video AI is probably out then too since it's probably not streaming anywhere if it's that old.

A lot of research to do tomorrow at work, lol.

Well...you can find it online. Just have to go for another source. (AKA: GOOGLE)
Link need to be remove or I get banned.

sonicmj1

Impossible standards of quality that ignore context and fun.

OK then.

I'm out.

NOt bad but not good , because of fanservice that isn't even excessive and played out for laugh by the 2 main characters ? I can't begin to write how shallow that thinking is , IMO

The second sentence is referring entirely to the quantity of fanservice (which is not an outlier in the world of anime, but excessive outside of the fandom), not to the quality of the show.

For the record, No Game No Life is a good show. The fanservice isn't its only weakness.

I have a bigger problem with how Stephanie is treated the whole time than any kind of fan service.

For example, the way Stephanie is treated, particularly in episode 5, is really uncomfortable to watch at times, and it's played for laughs.

JulianImp

Watch Kaiji and Agaki

Someone over at the JoJo thread told me to watch Kaiji, but after the first season I think I'd rather have shorter arcs of gambit pileups rather than devoting a whole season to a single game. The fact that the characters used actual game theory rather than stand powers or downright cheating was interesting, but I just quit after EP11 when he was taken to yet another game, because ten episodes of playing rock-paper-scissors with cards wasn't all that fun, even if it was cool how well they explored the different intrincacies that came with the game's ruleset.

TUSR

Banned
Well...you can find it online. Just have to go for another source.

OP said:
This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.

wonzo

Banned
Q5aYJ9P.png

Actually I Am 5
Staying on course with its cuteness. This adaptation has been pretty enjoyable especially with the few instances where they mix around the chapters' events into something more flowing in the anime format

SAMURAI FLAMENCO WAS FUCKING ROBBED
Without a doubt, the ultimate truth

Someone over at the JoJo thread told me to watch Kaiji, but after the first season I think I'd rather have shorter arcs of gambit pileups rather than devoting a whole season to a single game. The fact that the characters used actual game theory rather than stand powers or downright cheating was interesting, but I just quit after EP11 when he was taken to yet another game, because ten episodes of playing rock-paper-scissors with cards wasn't all that fun, even if it was cool how well they explored the different intrincacies that came with the game's ruleset.

That was me. Akagi is all Mahjong, you might find that interesting. I like that Kaiji changes games around a lot, but if you thought 10 episodes on rock paper scissors was bad you would probably go insane on 16 or so on fucking pachinko

Just looked those up.

I think I'm more interested in the former one than the latter, but yeah those two sound pretty cool.

I think I'll give it a shot later.

Kaiji is better because it has more games and Akagi is just Mahjong which is a real game with real rulesets but Akagi is a far more interesting character

umaru sux

Narag

Just wondering for the list of anime to watch, is Youtube is legal streaming choice also?

If it's uploaded by the licensor, yes. So the official youtube gundam channel, funi, nozomi, and mangaent are fine. Uploaded by user ~*~Shitoge420!~*~ not so much.

Kansoku

I can't believe you guys are ignoring Mononoke in favor of NGNL smh.

Just a bunch of cookie cutter casuals here, just like the rest of these dudes safe moist as dudes.

John Blade

Hmm...I guess I am kinda in a weird area as I bought the DVD for the show I want to watch so, streaming isn't something I go into at all. I guess, some of my anime list will be hard to find in a legal way streaming but they is Youtube choice but not disturb by the official company (ADV) as it's gone now. Kinda suck as they're quite a few good hidden anime gems from ADV but not bought over from another anime company as of now. Sigh...I guess, those who go streaming won't have a chance to watch those anime as of now unless illegal download or non official streaming or like me, bought the anime DVD.

Cornbread78

I can't believe you guys are ignoring Mononoke in favor of NGNL smh.

Just a bunch of cookie cutter casuals here, just like the rest of these dudes safe moist as dudes.

Lol, anyhow, Mononoke is one of the first on the list and yes, it does fit the criteria since it's available on streaming services and doesn't sound too extreme. Is it "too" popular, or do you think it would be a fresh new experience well shared for a large group of fans?

fertygo

Kaiji anime also ended at perfect point, even better than the manga that still keep wandering to la-la land.

You can just watch the 2 season of anime and be happy.

Lol, anyhow, Mononoke is one of the first on the list and yes, it does fit the criteria since it's available on streaming services and doesn't sound too extreme. Is it "too" popular, or do you think it would be a fresh new experience well shared for a large group of fans?

Mononoke (not Princess Mononoke, mind you) is fairly obscure, I would think. If your goal is to get good and lesser known shows it's a solid pick. I haven't watched it full disclosure

Kaiji anime also ended at perfect point, even better than the manga that still keep wandering to la-la land.

You can just watch the 2 season of anime and be happy.

Yes, Kaiji actually ends. When I say Akagi sticks to one game it has a double meaning, the Kaiji anime ends solid enough but the Akagi anime is like UHHHH, THIS MATCH DIDN'T END AND IT HAS NO STOPPING POINT SO READ THE MANGA WAIT IT'S A DECADE LATER AND THE MATCH IS STILL GOING?

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 11

XNkfwAi.jpg

Such nice bonding.

Even some Gamilias have their own code of honor. It seems there was more to the first meeting between Humans and the Gamilias than what was initially said. The ones that fired first were the Humans not the Gamilias. And the one who ordered it was the stupid bastard that was above Commander Okita. That fucker cost the lives of Shima's father and his crew by ordering them to do something stupid. All Shima's father wanted to do was talk civil with the Gamilians and understand them like he promised his son Shima. But all that went to waste because of one stupid individual. That scene with Shima's father crying and yelling to his son to have hope was amazing. I feel bad for Okita and the others who know the truth because they have to live with this burden.

I really can't blame Shima for being frustrated when he was told in the beginning that the Gamilias fired first. It's pretty hard to face something like this when you've been living a lie your entire life especially when the Government spinned things in their own favor. Anyway I liked how Rei faced her own frustration and now feels a lot better especially when she smiled. Liked the farewell handshake between Kodai and the female Gamilian.

Kansoku

Almost no one watched Mononoke. It's particularly great for this because it has a great, unique artstyle, it's entertaining enough for people who want a light watch, but filled with symbolism and details that would interest the people who might want to go deeper. It's approach to storytelling is also interesting, and since it's comprised of 2~3 episodes arcs it can be broken fairly easily for a group watch. The story is great and it's kinda like a Phoenix Wright but with "demons" anime. That being said, it might be hard to follow for a very casual viewer, because it's dialogues are kinda similar to that of Monogatari series, for example.

And it's also, like, one of the few good things Toei ever made.

reminder that trapeze/kuuchuu buranko is also on streaming services, since you guys are talking about mononoke:

http://www.viewster.com/serie/1278-18743-000/welcome-to-irabus-office/

Another great one as well. More weird tho.

fertygo

Yes, Kaiji actually ends. When I say Akagi sticks to one game it has a double meaning, the Kaiji anime ends solid enough but the Akagi anime is like UHHHH, THIS MATCH DIDN'T END AND IT HAS NO STOPPING POINT SO READ THE MANGA WAIT IT'S A DECADE LATER AND THE MATCH IS STILL GOING?

FKMT clearly much less invested to Akagi over his other title, makes sense because he basically already made the ending :D

FKMT clearly much less invested to Akagi over his other title, makes sense because he basically already made the ending :D

I feel like Fukumoto has trouble just stopping. The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa ended very, very definitively and it still got a continuation (I like Shin Kurosawa even though its about hobos)

Mononoke would be a perfect choice for a group viewing. It deserves exposure and is ripe for discussion. Ideally you would watch the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi, which introduced the character of the Medicine Seller, but I don't think that's available to stream anywhere unfortunately.

Mononoke would be a perfect choice for a group viewing. It deserves exposure and is ripe for discussion. Ideally you would watch the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi, which introduced the character of the Medicine Seller, but I don't think that's available to stream anywhere unfortunately.

I was going to probably skip whatever 1cour show was picked so I can focus on Gintama (and replaying 5 Metal Gear Solid games before the 1st) but if it's Mononoke I will probably do it

It's like you're purposely ignoring this gorilla.

Otae is great, what?

Shinpachi is just the straight man and the straight man is never popular. They address this in the show

Cornbread78

Mononoke (not Princess Mononoke, mind you) is fairly obscure, I would think. If your goal is to get good and lesser known shows it's a solid pick. I haven't watched it full disclosure

Almost no one watched Mononoke. It's particularly great for this because it has a great, unique artstyle, it's entertaining enough for people who want a light watch, but filled with symbolism and details that would interest the people who might want to go deeper. It's approach to storytelling is also interesting, and since it's comprised of 2~3 episodes arcs it can be broken fairly easily for a group watch. The story is great and it's kinda like a Phoenix Wright but with "demons" anime. That being said, it might be hard to follow for a very casual viewer, because it's dialogues are kinda similar to that of Monogatari series, for example.
And it's also, like, one of the few good things Toei ever made.
Another great one as well. More weird tho.

Nice, we might have a winner then.

Should I add a second one to run two at once and let people choose one or watch both. Maybe mix up genres too.

I was going to probably skip whatever 1cour show was picked so I can focus on Gintama (and replaying 5 Metal Gear Solid games before the 1st) but if it's Mononoke I will probably do it

Otae is great, what?

Shinpachi is just the straight man and the straight man is never popular. They address this in the show

Still more popular than Otae though if we go back to the Popularity Poll arc.

Plus he looks great in the second Movie.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yeah, gotta hand it to fukumoto though. Even with clear ending, the things akagi and washizu pull over a game of mahjong is so insane, yoh can't help wondering what kind of insane shit they pull next.

I feel like Fukumoto has trouble just stopping. The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa ended very, very definitively and it still got a continuation (I like Shin Kurosawa even though its about hobos)

Oh yeah, imagine my surprise when suddenly there's a sequel. Anyway, kurosawa anime when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom