• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty brutal and full of mindfu(k, lol. It's just funny that the main girl is psychotic, crazy, psychopath (did I mention she's nuts?) thatis in-love with the MC, but there is nothing he can do to get away from her because he needs her to survive. There is no excape, lol.

Her phone says "Happy End" now, but that will change later and one of them will have to kill the other at some point towards the end, or maybe a double suicide so nobody has to become the God.
I mentioned it once, but I stopped on the episode that we see what the inside of her house looks like lol.

DiGiKerot

I dont understand what makes one a bad or amateur "animator", when someone else has already created the character designs, the backgrounds, the visual effects, and does the planning and thinking process. Dont all these people have to do is just copy and make slight movements to characters, use sophisticated technologies to apply particle effects (the Mahouka Koukou making of videos showed madhouse using such programs), and then just copy and past the environments already supplied? I dont see a problem when tt seems like they are paid adequately for the services being rendered.

Only if the cartoon you are watching is actually only a visual novel with a fixed number of static character portraits.

The whole animation process is actually kind of a complicated, multistage process. Everything you mention above actually comes way, way further along the production process than what we typically refer to as an animator has completed their job.

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 19 – An Uncompromising Challenge

Expected that outcome, still dislike the other coach, I hope Kataoka stays.

YES for RAICHI!

I hope the Nabe plot hurries and resolves it feels like a huge distraction especially since we havent even seen him on the field or anything. Why is his defense force so powerful?

Arcadius

Banned
Ninin ga Shinobuden (2x2 Ninja Nonsense)

Have you ever wanted to watch a super crazy slice of life that didn’t involve schools, didn’t involve a harem, made no sense at all and had one of the most unique art styles ever? Well, if you did, look no further because Ninja Nonsense is exactly what you’re looking for.

Following the lives of Shinobu, our female ninja in training, Kaede, the girl who just happened to get her house raided for panties by Shinobu, and Onsokumaru, the crazy yellow blob that can change forms whenever he wills it, we’re thrown into a story that makes about as much sense as…. well nothing.

Being a huge slice of life fan, I’m used to watching anime that is very episodic and has no true story, just watching girls do their thing in cute ways, but Ninja Nonsense takes it to another level. I’d honestly say it’s impossible to make sense of every episode, heck, it’s impossible to make sense of the actions of the characters; they just do things because of “reasons”. Onsokumaru is crazy, wild and perverted, always trying to get with Kaede or Shinobu. The ninjas are just as crazy as Onsokumaru. We also have one named ninja who shows up often, Sasuke, but he’s just like every other ninja. There is also Shinobu’s imouto Miyabi who’s super cute and a super strong ninja/mage crossover; of course there are more characters too like the talking and tamed alligator who can walk if he wants, or the ogres who just want to play baseball. Yes, Ninja Nonsense is very much impossible to understand.

So let’s get to the real reason you want to watch this; it’s incredibly funny. Each episode is split into 11-12 minute episodes, so you get two for one! Each short episode is self-contained and full of some the most ridiculous stories ever. Don’t except real ninja action, heck don’t even expect a lot of ninja fights either; I’m still having a hard time decoding what I just watched, all I know is I was incredibly happy and laughed a lot at this anime, it’s really actually a lot of fun, if you want to laugh at jokes and some funny scenes, give this a watch.

The art style and animation, for most of the episodes, great stuff. Ninja Nonsense has one of the most unique and absolutely squeeful art styles in existence, the way everything is drawn just looks so different to any type of anime I’ve ever seen. It’s not that rustic 90’s look, but it’s not the late 2000’s extra smooth shiny look either, it’s also not in-between the art styles, it’s 100% unique to Ninja Nonsense and I think it looks unbelievably fantastic. Animation is also really nice, but towards the end of the series it seems to take a drop in quality, same with the art, it seemed rushed or something, but it’s not that bad, I promise.

Sound and Music in Ninja Nonsense is really fun. We have all the fun and wild ninja types of sounds and the music is always ready to pump you up and make you squee in delight or laugh out loud. I’d say the combination of BGM and the art style with the ridiculous episodes works so well, it’s a must watch for it alone. The OP and ED are addictive and will be stuck in your head for hours, they’re happy, cheerful and full of energy; I was definitely absorbed in it, even bouncing up and down as I watched the anime; so great stuff.

Shinobu and Keade, Onsokumaru, Sasuke, Miyabi, the entire cast of ninjas and then-some, it’s all fantastic and Ninja Nonsense as a whole is without a doubt worth watching. Watch it for its art style, watch it for the really funny comedy, watch it for the interactions between the girls and the ninjas, it’s just a lot of good fun.

Jintor

I dont understand what makes one a bad or amateur "animator", when someone else has already created the character designs, the backgrounds, the visual effects, and does the planning and thinking process. Dont all these people have to do is just copy and make slight movements to characters, use sophisticated technologies to apply particle effects (the Mahouka Koukou making of videos showed madhouse using such programs), and then just copy and past the environments already supplied? I dont see a problem when tt seems like they are paid adequately for the services being rendered.

I don't pretend to have a particularly deep or professional knowledge of animation, but inbetweens are not simple 'slight movements' to characters even if you have keyframes already available. Remembering that a single frame in a 24fps can change the 'feel' of an action and that this is reliant on inbetweeners... assuming you're only talking about inbetweeners and not even keyframe animators! Even if someone else has already made the designs, backgrounds, visual effects and yes, even the storyboarding and direction of a piece, you still need to design the precise keyframes of major characters, which requires a working knowledge of anatomy, perspective and artistic ability - at the basics!

These people kill themselves making shows.

Westlo

7 episodes in, I'm not quite sure yet but I'm leaning towards #TeamSheryl. Possibly subject to change though.

Ranka singing "My Boyfriend Is a Pilot" was too good, I will admit.

Sheryl da gawdess best girl by far, bringer of hopes and dreams
banderas.png

Ranka's What bout my star shits over Sheryls... easily my fav early Ranks song....

The end, mostly. A problem the films fix, honestly, to the point I consider them the definitive version of the story even cutting out the level of detail you must when condensing two cour to two films.

I totally invested way too much time into frontier *coughshippingcough* so yeah that end soured it for me... I wouldn't have minded it so much if they didn't focus on that aspect as heavily though, especially to the detriment of other areas in the show.... Felt like they spent too much time on it to do what they did... but I guess the movies being more "definitive" was always the plan since IIRC the movie version was announced @ the end of the final episode. Worked out well enough for them going by box office and sales.....

I really should get around to watching the movies one day.... only really listened to the music as well as watching the opening Sheryl concert scene... wasn't really feeling the songs in the movies compared to the tv series though... maybe I'll like them better if I could attach them to scenes...

Hope they properly unveil Macross Delta soon..... *please no Okada*

Damn this sounds right up my alley!

Awesome, watch Symphogear soon.

So if series actually took breaks like they do in the west, we would have better products for the most part?

Not really.

Yes, with more time you would have a better production. But that time isn't free, you have to actually *pay* the staff during that time. So in the end it's all about money, which shouldn't be surprising. If anime would sell several times better than it does right now, you would have better products.

javac

Really nice packaging and I can't wait to get my copy what will probably be early next month.

Yup, excited, Although I'm low on funds at the moment so I might have to cancel for now, but I'm fighting hard not to so I'll wait and see. I have the SOC Gunbuster figure pre-ordered too and that's 20000 yen ($160) and out in September. I have the Amazon limited edition and the standard Blu-ray pre-ordered. Either way I'm getting this, but it might not be day one.

cajunator

Banned
Yay! Thanks AquaWateria! =)

Wohoo, will be posting stuff soon Cornbread!

=)

Thaaanks Mike!

I'll try my best, to restrain my words!!

I have faith in you!

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitenshabu anime announced

Summary:

Their heads look so huge :O
So this is another cycling show then?

I have and although I shouldn't be saying this since I am from that generation, it's too 90's for me lol.

Too 90's.... doesnt compute for me. 90s was a golden happy time in animu!

Sheryl da gawdess best girl by far, bringer of hopes and dreams
banderas.png

Ranka's What bout my star shits over Sheryls... easily my fav early Ranks song....

I totally invested way too much time into frontier *coughshippingcough* so yeah that end soured it for me... I wouldn't have minded it so much if they didn't focus on that aspect as heavily though, especially to the detriment of other areas in the show.... Felt like they spent too much time on it to do what they did... but I guess the movies being more "definitive" was always the plan since IIRC the movie version was announced @ the end of the final episode. Worked out well enough for them going by box office and sales.....

I really should get around to watching the movies one day.... only really listened to the music as well as watching the opening Sheryl concert scene... wasn't really feeling the songs in the movies compared to the tv series though... maybe I'll like them better if I could attach them to scenes...

Hope they properly unveil Macross Delta soon..... *please no Okada*

Awesome, watch Symphogear soon.

I plan to!
Is it on CR or something else?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not sure if post-post-apocalyptic sci-fi or possibly lewd Vita VN/RPG/Dating-sim.

Mandelbo

Ninin ga Shinobuden (2x2 Ninja Nonsense)

-snip-

For about half of the show I'd convinced myself that every ninja in Onsokumaru's class was called Sasuke rather than just the one ninja, which I sort of preferred to only the one Sasuke - although given that all the ninjas are identical, they could all be Sasuke for all I know. I definitely get where you're coming from with the art style because I really enjoyed it as well, and I also see what you mean by the art style becoming sloppier as the show went on. There was one entire half of a later episode (nine or ten, I can't remember exactly,) that used a completely different art style than was used everywhere else, which was incredibly jarring. It was never referenced in-episode either so it definitely wasn't an elaborate fourth wall-breaking joke! I also loved the ED as well.

Only if the cartoon you are watching is actually only a visual novel with a fixed number of static character portraits.

The whole animation process is actually kind of a complicated, multistage process. Everything you mention above actually comes way, way further along the production process than what we typically refer to as an animator has completed their job.

I don't pretend to have a particularly deep or professional knowledge of animation, but inbetweens are not simple 'slight movements' to characters even if you have keyframes already available. Remembering that a single frame in a 24fps can change the 'feel' of an action and that this is reliant on inbetweeners... assuming you're only talking about inbetweeners and not even keyframe animators! Even if someone else has already made the designs, backgrounds, visual effects and yes, even the storyboarding and direction of a piece, you still need to design the precise keyframes of major characters, which requires a working knowledge of anatomy, perspective and artistic ability - at the basics!

These people kill themselves making shows.

Adding to what's been said, there's a lot of work that goes into just one cut. The video releases from TBS for Kanon in 2006-2007 had a little "making of" feature that shows the process through most of the work done by a studio. I've made a playlist that shows it from 1-8 (not my videos).

I'll go in brief detail how things are done so you can understand what's happening. When a show is to be made, the character designer and the director meet to discuss what they'd want each character to look like. If it's from a source w/illustrations, it goes easier than an original show. They are then made onto reference sheets that look like this
VM5Ybkz.jpg

(Notice how this is just one pose with details on how to draw the eye.)
Additional designs are made for the locations. Some are called "art boards" while others are more setting materials and look like this:
uFYSJDBl.jpg

(these may be colored or not)

Each episode's content has to be split into different forms. First is a script/scenario including dialogue/actions. Someone (or multiple people) take that written text and draw little diagrams of how it should look action-wise on pieces of paper called "storyboards". That storyboard then goes to the animators in charge of drawing that cut/scene. The key animator(s) draw a layout of how the character would look in front of the background. This is a more detailed pose than the storyboard and includes the background details from the setting materials. The layouts get approved, a timesheet is made for the movement, and the key animator draws the important points of motion for the character in that cut. The cut then goes to an in-betweener who reads the timesheet and draws the other frames based on the key animator's work. While this is happening, a background artist is drawing the background for that cut.

After the key frames/in-betweens are done, a photographer takes everything and makes it into a video clip derivative that gets combined into the final episode. That episode is then taken to the editing studio who adds sounds, voice tracks, and creates the broadcast master to be approved and then sent to the TV station.

That is an incredibly simplified version of what happens for just one cut (of over 300 or so for a TV episode). I'd suggest reviewing that playlist and learning a bit more.

On a completely separate note, I'm traveling back to the Kansai area next June for a vacation. Should do some pilgrimages to Chuunibyou, Tamako, Kyoukai, Euphonium, and Haruhi while I'm there.

cajunator

Banned
Adding to what's been said, there's a lot of work that goes into just one cut. The video releases from TBS for Kanon in 2006-2007 had a little "making of" feature that shows the process through most of the work done by a studio. I've made a playlist that shows it from 1-8 (not my videos).

I'll go in brief detail how things are done so you can understand what's happening. When a show is to be made, the character designer and the director meet to discuss what they'd want each character to look like. If it's from a source w/illustrations, it goes easier than an original show. They are then made onto reference sheets that look like this
VM5Ybkz.jpg

(Notice how this is just one pose with details on how to draw the eye.)
Additional designs are made for the locations. Some are called "art boards" while others are more setting materials and look like this:
uFYSJDBl.jpg

(these may be colored or not)

Each episode's content has to be split into different forms. First is a script/scenario including dialogue/actions. Someone (or multiple people) take that written text and draw little diagrams of how it should look action-wise on pieces of paper called "storyboards". That storyboard then goes to the animators in charge of drawing that cut/scene. The key animator(s) draw a layout of how the character would look in front of the background. This is a more detailed pose than the storyboard and includes the background details from the setting materials. The layouts get approved, a timesheet is made for the movement, and the key animator draws the important points of motion for the character in that cut. The cut then goes to an in-betweener who reads the timesheet and draws the other frames based on the key animator's work. While this is happening, a background artist is drawing the background for that cut.

After the key frames/in-betweens are done, a photographer takes everything and makes it into a video clip derivative that gets combined into the final episode. That episode is then taken to the editing studio who adds sounds, voice tracks, and creates the broadcast master to be approved and then sent to the TV station.

That is an incredibly simplified version of what happens for just one cut (of over 300 or so for a TV episode). I'd suggest reviewing that playlist and learning a bit more.

Interesting info. thanks for explaining it.

Arcadius

Banned
For about half of the show I'd convinced myself that every ninja in Onsokumaru's class was called Sasuke rather than just the one ninja, which I sort of preferred to only the one Sasuke - although given that all the ninjas are identical, they could all be Sasuke for all I know. I definitely get where you're coming from with the art style because I really enjoyed it as well, and I also see what you mean by the art style becoming sloppier as the show went on. There was one entire half of a later episode (nine or ten, I can't remember exactly,) that used a completely different art style than was used everywhere else, which was incredibly jarring. It was never referenced in-episode either so it definitely wasn't an elaborate fourth wall-breaking joke! I also loved the ED as well.

Yessss, I read how you thought each ninja was Sasuke, but nope, just one dude, so funny too. I think there is another ninja that is named for one line in one episode, but still, the ninjas are all perverts that are super naïve and ridiculously funny, ED is great, so is the OP, loved watching Ninja Nonsense, it's entirely nonsensical!

I have faith in you!

Goodness, it would be such a shame if the more ecchi things get me another vacation!! =/

cajunator

Banned
Yessss, I read how you thought each ninja was Sasuke, but nope, just one dude, so funny too. I think there is another ninja that is named for one line in one episode, but still, the ninjas are all perverts that are super naïve and ridiculously funny, ED is great, so is the OP, loved watching Ninja Nonsense, it's entirely nonsensical!

Goodness, it would be such a shame if the more ecchi things get me another vacation!! =/

Just be smart about it Arcy. Dont let emotion overcome logical posting and youll be alright.

phaze

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 11
00898133zoj.png
008994u1zsp.png

Roosevelt you've been outed.
Of course I mixed up the order of episodes the one time they were actually a bit connected. -_- Didn't feel this either unfortunately but the very last scene with Chiri and Itoshiki's brother in the sun was hilarious. Hope the last one will deliver a worthy send off for the series, even if there are still two ovas left.

Edit: Holy ... Chiri's voice actress also plays Armin from AoT and Yoko from TTGL. Would not have guessed it at all.

Ascheroth

I actually surprised by the number of anime that I have been following and have been great watches this season.

Charlotte
Gate (love that OP)
Rokka
Prison School
School-Live
Actually, I Am
Wakaba*Girl
My Wife is the Hot Pres
Classroom*Crisis
Working3
Shinometa
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

I mean, this is a lot more shows than I watched over the winter, lol

Plus, I'm still stying to catch up on Ore Mongatari

There is a disturbing lack of Soma, Ushio to Tora and Symphogear :p Although I think I remember you saying you'll marathon Soma when it's done, which is also fine.

And I'm also watching tons of stuff...

Overlord
Gintama
Ushio to Tora
Illya
Soma
Symphogear
Durararara
Charlotte
Gatchaman
God Eater
Gangsta

Dropped Ranpo Kitan and Dragonball.
Currently catching up on School-Live.

And I have lots of other stuff I started and want to watch, but I'm barely able to watch anything else besides the weeklies even though I have a shit-ton of free time, because summer... :/

Cornbread78

Oriemo ep. 1-3
Ok, so far, nothing offensive as of yet, some pretty funny stuff, but more like a SoL kinda show about an otaku lil' sister that likes " 'lil sister" games, lol. Only 1 panty shot as well, so I guess it gets much creepier later to make this so infamous. Either way, I heard S1 was worth it, just to abandon ship before S2...

cajunator

Banned
Oriemo ep. 1-3
Ok, so far, nothing offensive as of yet, some pretty funny stuff, but more like a SoL kinda show about an otaku lil' sister that likes " 'lil sister" games, lol. Only 1 panty shot as well, so I guess it gets much creepier later to make this so infamous. Either way, I heard S1 was worth it, just to abandon ship before S2...

Well thats one way to approach it yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom