• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You can pretty much watch SAC and 2nd GIG as a stand alone complex. The manga, the movies, the tv anime, and the ovas are all basically different takes on the characters/world of GitS you can view them in any order.

I'd watch the Oshii films first because they are better, but SAC is well liked by many and much better than the Arise OVAs. Though you could start with SAC as it has its own continuity separate from the films.

SAC is also good.

GITS (1997)
Innocence
GITS:SAC
GITS:SAC 2nd GIG

If you plan to watch both, I'd recommend getting a few SAC episodes behind your belt before jumping into movies as they will introduce you more gently to the world, characters and technology of GITS.

Thanks bros!

Narag

Crazy for It
7GfoMjul.png
S34l5col.png

While it's probably made the rounds already, this was pretty neat. Short experimental animation set to some rockin' music. It can be found here.

Hidamari Sketch x365 2
The beauty of the achronological ordering is present here as this episode probably shouldn't have worked as well as it did given the first ep was Yuno joining the school and now we're a year later to them reminiscing about things (mostly the ifrst season). There's two shots early on that call back to events of the first season to establish things that when coupled with the rabbits they drew in the first ep, jumping ahead a year feels perfectly fine in its execution.

Lupin III: From Russia With Love

Risette summed this one up so well as simply "Dezaki to the MAX." It's got his trademark visual flourishes all over it, moreso than his other Lupin specials that I've seen so far. Pretty sure at one point a quadruple vertical pan of Zenigata led into a double vertical pan of a Zenigata postcard that led into a triple pan of Lupin tearing a woman's shirt off before settling into a postcard. It's like this the entire way. :lol

On top of that, this one is just so laid back. A third of the run time is more or less devoted to Lupin running a heist without much of any problem with most of the special's conflict confined to Rasputin's scenes which only intersect with Lupin a few times throughout. It's a great change of pace from how tense the other specials could be with their stakes.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 65

I bet the card Sam handed Yuuya-oniichan has some great special effect or will be used in a mighty combo.

I dont know who to expect to win the duel, would be bad if 5D's folks lost, but then it would be bad if a Lancer lost.

JulianImp

The anime in your avatar is a power fantasy too, though. :p

While Araragi does get every single girl to fall for him to some degree, most of the time the solutions to the story arcs are reached due to other characters stepping in for him so I don't think it'd fit as a full-fledged power fantasy. Also, his abilities as a half-oddity are often shown to be below the level of the foes he had to face, including his little sister Karen (a regular human). Then the rest of the cast repeatedly mocks his attempts to mindlessly charge ahead to try and be a hero for the sake of others (read: a martyr).

That's unlike in crappy power fantasies such as SAO, where Kirigod is always the super extra special chosen one, gets every single girl to fall for him (sorry, Klein), and is thrust into situations where most of his friends are downright powerless and he's shown to be the only one that can rise up to the challenge and save the day.

Cornbread78

Please tell us your impression when the second arc hits.

you'll understand what the problems this series has are.

In before gary stud.

Let him enjoy Kirito x Asuna goodness in peace, lol

Amagami SS ep.17-20
This was probably the weakest arc of the bunch so far. Poor Rihoko, the true childhood friend gets, gets completely shafted out of love, because, of course, they wanted to keep her as a childhood friend. Garbage, she is much cuter than the other friend he had in the other arc..

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
While Araragi does get every single girl to fall for him to some degree, most of the time the solutions to the story arcs are reached due to other characters stepping in for him so I don't think it'd fit as a full-fledged power fantasy. Also, his abilities as a half-oddity are often shown to be below the level of the foes he had to face, including his little sister Karen (a regular human). Then the rest of the cast repeatedly mocks his attempts to mindlessly charge ahead to try and be a hero for the sake of others (read: a martyr).

That's unlike in crappy power fantasies such as SAO, where Kirigod is always the super extra special chosen one, gets every single girl to fall for him (sorry, Klein), and is thrust into situations where most of his friends are downright powerless and he's shown to be the only one that can rise up to the challenge and save the day.

also, ararararagi gets rekt hard, a lot

NA had a bluray release last year for GITS but I think there was some sort of issue femmeworth brought up at the time.
The crushed blacks are an issue with the Japanese release too, I believe.

Edit: Might not be the only issue. Just what I remember from seeing comparisons between the Blu-ray and HDTV version.

kewlmyc

SHIMONETA 07

Other than Annaconda, this episode was kinda boring. The new girl doesn't really bring anything to the table so far. I guess it's neat that the final boss is now in the picture.

JulianImp

also, ararararagi gets rekt hard, a lot

Yeah, he's often bailed out by somebody else after he gets thrashed by whatever he's up against.

I also love Monogatari because of how the characters tend to fall into the generic anime character stereotypes, but they're often given a lot more depth beyond that that actually makes them really refreshing compared to all the cookie-cutter yenderes, fujoshis and imoutos. Nadeko was a really interesting deconstruction of the clumsy moe girl, and Kaki was given an amazing amount of depth compared to most card-carrying villains we get in anime.

Gangsta 07

What a fantastic episode this was. I'm loving the perfect blend between current and past events and how it all flows together to tell us a story about not only the events that are taking place now, but the people in them. This one was great.

Busaiku

Man, what's up with the pacing of Prison School. Trying to cover a volume an episode? Does not work at all.
The colors also look really weird. Not the best translation of the fantastic character designs of the source.

Also what the heck, I initially thought Austin Tindle was Johnny Yong Bosch.
Sounded just like him in the beginning bit before the OP.

Crocodile

Man, what's up with the pacing of Prison School. Trying to cover a volume an episode? Does not work at all.
The colors also look really weird. Not the best translation of the fantastic character designs of the source.

The first episode has borked pacing but the pacing is fine in later episodes. Character designs and colors are fine given the constraints of TV anime.

The pacing is fine now though, I don't see an issue.

Cornbread78

Spice and Wolf S2 ep.1-3
The series continues to be good with Holo's constant flirting, but damn, when the chips are all down, Lawrence is really acting like a fool. I wonder how he is going to fix this mess with her now and stop being a coward.

God Eater 5

Yup this stuff definitely wasn't in the game. They did not spare a single drop of blood on this episode did they. Lenka and team got stomped.

However with the pills showing up, and the preview I can see that they are probably gonna dedicate the next episode, or part of it to Alisa's back story, why she needs pills and why the Black Vajra is such bad news too. If they adapt it the same way as in the game... Prepare yourselves folks. Things aren't gonna be pretty.

Humanity has Declined 11

So considering this takes place at the very beginning chronologically, we're not going to get an answer to the talking hair at the beginning of the series then unless you read the LN? How disappointing...

I liked the episode in spite of that however. Interesting seeing Watashi and Y meet each other at school and how Watashi was like in her younger years.

fertygo

Aikatsu 118-120

They're getting rid of Yuu in a better way than Shion ever got. What an unfair world. Miyabi is alright. Another take on a traditional Japanese woman, and probably more traditional than whatever Sakura is. I do wish her naginata got focus in the dances though. I suspect she's someone I'll need time to really warm up to like I did with Yurika. That is a ridiculous amount of chocolate for just Soleil. Three whole trucks? Forget about eating that, they'd become fat before getting through a tenth of the stash. And it would just get bigger year after year. A small price to pay for an idol's popularity I suppose. Hinaki seems to be taking up Ran's fashion role and Aoi's niche of knowing everything. She's getting all the good stuff. Really nice underwater dance. The CG improvement is more in the background/environment than the dancers this time. I think this is the first time the show has looked at male idols (not counting rock stars and such). Poor Johnny. Less popular than the groundskeeper. Noelle somehow manages to be the third most important season 2 character still here. Maybe second depending if anything happens with Yuu.

Ran seems to be getting the short end of the stick this season again. I mean, Ichigo and Aoi were always bigger than her, and such they get plenty of extra scenes around the newbies, and Sakura is supposed to be closer to them, but she's only appeared in Soleil/group settings. Otome gets to pop up out of nowhere occasionally, and even Yurika got a significant episode. Ran is barely above Kaede-tier, who herself is basically Shion tier now. What a fall from grace. Hopefully the same doesn't happen to Hinaki in the future when compared to Akari and Sumire. I like her.

Did you watch the movie yet?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
:(

The amount of CG in Prison School is getting off-putting. It feels like I'm watching a 3D cell-shaded PS3 game cute scene at times and that's not a complement :(

EDIT: Episode 7
I know that in the manga that the amount of flesh and juices that was pushing the envelop on gross but the anime really cuts her down an notch sensually to the point of her feeling more like a gross buffoon of a foil. The overall image she projects now isn't an oppressive sadist who excels at mind games but rather bumbling subordinate with no real projection of presence beyond her title.

Sterok

Did you watch the movie yet?

Yep. Posted my impressions of it earlier. It was good. A grand finale for Ichigo and Mizuki's character arcs, plus a bunch of the old cast getting an extra dance.

Aikatsu 121

Sakura gets one before Aoi or Ran. I'm just surprised it took this long. Since when did Sakura use a naginata? They should've used those on stage somehow. Miyabi is a real stickler for skirt length. They are really short though. Even when going out in the snow. I'll never understand anime in that regard. Miyabi is good, but there's no way she can beat one of Starlight's top 8 yet. Now how to integrate her naturally back in the cast? I presume it will be a little while before she returns, but she will.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
:(

The amount of CG in Prison School is getting off-putting. It feels like I'm watching a 3D cell-shaded PS3 game cute scene at times and that's not a complement :(

EDIT: Episode 7
I know that in the manga that the amount of flesh and juices that was pushing the envelop on gross but the anime really cuts her down an notch sensually to the point of her feeling more like a gross buffoon of a foil. The overall image she projects now isn't an oppressive sadist who excels at mind games but rather bumbling subordinate with no real projection of presence beyond her title.

I feel like she fits both roles but yeah, her image shows more of the latter.

javac

Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-ray Box
On sale August 26, 2015
heMji36.jpg

Stock number: KIXA-90501~10
Price: 38,000 yen (about US$300) + tax
10 Blu-ray Discs with special package, runtime 900 minutes (estimated) + bonus video extras

Contents
(DISC 1 ~ DISC 5)
Neon Genesis Evangelion HD Remaster
All 26 TV Series episodes + 4 home video version episodes (eps. 21-24)
  • This uses a telecine from the original 16mm film. The original film for episode 16 no longer exists, so this set uses an upconverted version of the SD master for that episode.

Bonus video extras: 30-second next-episode previews (eps. 1-20)
Specifications: BD 50GB/1080p/color/4:3/5.1 channel linear PCM/2-channel linear PCM/mpeg4AVC/subtitles for the hearing impaired

(DISC 6)
Evangelion: Death and Rebirth HD Master
Evangelion: Death + Evangelion: Rebirth
Bonus video extras: Teaser, trailer, TV spot
Specifications: BD 50GB/1080p (except on some material)/color/16:9/2-channel linear PCM/mpeg4AVC

(DISC 7)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Air/Magokoro o, kimi ni HD Master
THE END OF EVANGELION
Bonus video extras: Trailer, TV spot
Bonus audio extras: 5.1 channel surround version original soundtrack (22 tracks selected by Hideaki Anno):
  • a 5.1 channel soundtrack mixdown of tracks from the TV series and the movie, based on the original raw recordings (first appeared in the 2003 DVD box's bonus extras)

• Musunde Hiraite: First ever full-size compilation of musical tracks that appeared on Episode 26 "Magokoro o, kimi ni," based on raw recording

Vocal performances: Audition recordings
  • Rei Ayanami/Megumi Hayashibara
  • Asuka Langley Soryu/Yuko Miyamura
  • Misato Katsuragi/Kotono Mitsuishi
  • Ritsuko Akagi/Yuriko Yamaguchi
  • Gendo Ikari/Fumihiko Tachiki
*First compilation of vocal recordings from the cast auditions for the TV series

Specifications: BD 50GB/1080p (except on some material)/color/16:9/2-channel linear PCM/mpeg4AVC

(DISC 8)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death(True)2/Air/Magokoro o, kimi ni HD Master
REVIVAL OF EVANGELION
Specifications: BD 50GB/1080p/color/4:3/5.1 channel linear PCM/2-channel linear PCM/mpeg4AVC

(DISC 9)
Bonus video extras:
  • Episode 25 "Air" (Home video format)
  • Episode 26 "Magokoro o, kimi ni" (Home video format)
*The version included on the LaserDisc and VHS volumes "Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:13" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion 0:14"

• Clean opening animation sequence
  • Clean ending animation sequence

• Image board collection: A collection of image boards and design sheets drawn during the television series' planning stages, set to the original soundtrack (first featured in the "Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:1" LaserDisc and videotape's special bonus extras)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:0 In the Beginning Special Preview: Promo video released ahead of the laser disc and VHS release
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Genesis 0:0' The Light From the Darkness: Special appreciation video released with the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth VHS
  • Episode 26 live-action segments' special rush print: Live-action segments of "Magokoro o, kimi ni" edited personally by chief director Hideaki Anno in accordance with the script
  • Episode 26 live-action segments' on-set video: Making-of footage from the filming of the live action segments of "Magokoro o, kimi ni," newly edited (Filming: Hideaki Anno, others)
  • Episode 26, alternate last scene: A version of the last scene with Asuka with a different script than the final version, made during production.

TV spot collection:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion 15-second television commercial
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion 30-second television commercial
  • Sega Saturn game Neon Genesis Evangelion (SEGA)
  • Monthly Newtype March 1996 issue (Kadokawa Shoten)
  • Shōnen Ace April 1996 issue (Kadokawa Shoten)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Air/Magokoro o, kimi ni TV spot, offline edited version A
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion Air/Magokoro o, kimi ni TV spot, offline edited version B

Music video collection:
  • Full size opening "Cruel Angel's Thesis"
  • Full size ending "Fly Me to the Moon"
  • "Tamashii no Refrain" Yoko Takahashi
  • "Thanatos - If I Can't Be Yours" Loren & Mash
  • "Armageddon" Shiro Sagisu
  • "Tengoku no Kioku" Megumi Hayashibara

* Music videos edited by TV series assistant director Masayuki

Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-ray Box promotional video:
  • HD remastered version of the TV series opening used for promoting the Blu-ray Box

Specifications: BD 50GB/1080p (partial)/color/16:9/2-channel linear PCM/mpeg4AVC

(DISC 10)
Episode rush prints used for the dialogue recording and sound dubbing
  • Episode 9 "Shunkan, kokoro, kasanete"
  • Episode 15 "Uso to chinmoku"
  • Episode 18 "Inochi no sentaku o"
  • Episode 19 "Otoko no tatakai"
  • Episode 20 "Kokoro no katachi, hito no katachi"
  • Episode 21 "NERV, tanjou"
  • Episode 22 "Semete, hito rashiku"
  • Episode 23 "Namida"
  • Episode 24 "Saigo no shito"
  • Episode 25 "Owaru sekai"
  • Last episode "Sekai no chuushin de ai wo sakenda mono"
  • Evangelion: Rebirth
  • Episode 25: "Air" (partial)
*Partially finished versions of the episodes used during the dialogue recording and sound dubbing process (first included in the 2003 DVD-BOX video content)

Specifications: BD 50GB/1080i/color/4:3/2-channel linear PCM/mpeg4AVC

Enclosed:
  • 170-page booklet: Written commentary included in the laserdisc volumes, includes production timeline
  • Eva Tomo no Kai (All 14 issues): Reprints of newsletters included with the laserdisc volumes

Neon Genesis Evangelion On Air Version DVD Box
Archives of Evangelion
On sale August 26, 2015
MUWjZCD.jpg

Stock number: KIXA-92191~8
Price: 18,000 yen + tax
8 DVDs with special package, runtime 850 minutes (estimated) + special video content

Contents
(DISC 1 ~ DISC 7)
Neon Genesis Evangelion On Air Version
All 26 TV Series episodes (on air versions)
Bonus video extras: 30-second next-episode previews (eps. 1-20)
Specifications: Single-side dual layer/color/4:3/Dolby Digital (Stereo) 2.0 channel/mpeg2/subtitles for the hearing impaired

Bonus video extras (on disc 7):
Neon Genesis Evangelion re-broadcast special program
  • Vol. 1 "Eiga-ka kettei!"
  • Vol. 2 "Kyōsō no Mae-uri ticket hatsubaibi"
  • Vol. 3 "Voice from Actress"
  • Vol. 4 "Nekkyō! Evangelion-sai"
  • Vol. 5 "Sennyū! Gainax"
  • Gekijoban Evangelion no Subete Shi to Shinsei Hokan Keikaku

Neon Genesis Evangelion re-re-broadcast special program
  • Dai-ichi-ya Zensetsu/Gosetsu
  • Dai-ni-ya Zensetsu/Chuusetsu/Gosetsu
  • Dai-san-ya Zensetsu/Gosetsu
  • Saishū-ya Zensetsu/Gosetsu

Specifications: Single-side dual layer/color/4:3/Dolby Stereo 2.0 channel/mpeg2

(DISC 8)
Evangelion: Death and Rebirth TV On-air version
Evagelion: Death (True) and Rebirth
"Evangelion: Death (True)" + "Evangelion: Rebirth"

Bonus video extras:
Evangelion: Death and Rebirth TV airing special program
text: Hideaki Anno (Evangelion) and "Love & Pop"

Specifications: Single-side dual layer/color/letterbox (parts in 4:3)/Dolby Digital (Stereo) 2.0 channel/mpeg2

Enclosed:
  • 32-page booklet

Commercials:
Footage from the Blu-rays, but these vids are SD.
新世紀エヴァンゲリオン Blu-ray BOX告知Type A
新世紀エヴァンゲリオン Blu-ray BOX告知Type B
新世紀エヴァンゲリオン Blu-ray BOX告知Type C
新世紀エヴァンゲリオン Blu-ray BOX告知Type EX.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Rinne no Lagrange episode 2
So the 2 out of the 3 main bad guys suck, but johhny young bosh might actually put up a challenge to madoka, then again maybe not, also I find it hilarious and even slightly adorable that she is just sinking in a jet/robot and talking on her phone willy nilly like whatever, amazing.

Also forgot to say last impression but the yuri is strong in this show and im all over it.

Jintor

JoJos Bizarre Adventures s1 22

"I'll see the wind with my horn!"

even in jojos this was kind of an amazing non-sequitar. JoJos is a great workout anime

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, he's often bailed out by somebody else after he gets thrashed by whatever he's up against.

I also love Monogatari because of how the characters tend to fall into the generic anime character stereotypes, but they're often given a lot more depth beyond that that actually makes them really refreshing compared to all the cookie-cutter yenderes, fujoshis and imoutos. Nadeko was a really interesting deconstruction of the clumsy moe girl, and Kaki was given an amazing amount of depth compared to most card-carrying villains we get in anime.

Monogatari series is legit one of my favorite joys in life, I can be either or on harem animes, sometimes I like em, most times im like ehhhhh, but monogatari is a series I enjoy more than just mindless entertainment.

Humanity has Declined 12

Well that was an eventful last episode. Between Y and Watashi's growing friendship, the tea party and it's members and the stuff with the robot, we got a pretty sweet ending to a well done, underrated show.

Humanity has Declined starts off great with the first 4 episodes, drops off with episodes 5-8 then picks up again for the final four episodes My opinion of the arcs from best to worst would be:

Manga
Factory
Tea party
Island/God
Time Loop
Space probes

sonicmj1

Clannad - Nagisa Arc/S1 End

I had vented some frustration with how this arc led into its climax earlier. There are a lot of little things I could nitpick again about how Clannad does what it does, but I'm starting to think that discussion doesn't really serve anybody.

I thought this series of episodes was the best the show had been in terms of drama for a number of reasons. Not only does it jettison all the harem bullshit, but Nagisa is one of the few female characters that isn't really boiled down into a series of cliches. She's naive, quiet, and gentle almost to the point that it stretches credibility, but that's not all she is. She has a lot of inner strength, and even before this arc, she has grown a lot through her relationship with Tomoya.

That's why, when a new crisis actually emerges, it has a lot more meaning. Stupid as it is, it reflects Nagisa's personality and the faults she has shown so far. And its resolution is yet another example of the themes of family, shared goals, and unconditional acceptance which have been the major thread of the series.

Kyoto Animation presents these events very effectively. They go beyond the "overcast day = negative emotions" shortcuts, bringing out Nagisa's guilt and Tomoya's apprehension. The animation at the climax is great, too. The way it ultimately finishes is, for Key, downright understated in a way I really like.

H0S9LU3.jpg
ywpGTdm.jpg

It's really mostly in Nagisa's body language, which makes her feel unnervingly distant.

So why wasn't I moved by it at all?

I couldn't help but be dismissive of Nagisa's worries over how
her parents had forsaken their dreams on her behalf. I mean, they're like the happiest people in the world. Does she think that wasn't a choice they made? That dreams can't change? There was even a page in the diary Nagisa was apparently reading where her mom talks about how she'd found a kind of happiness taking Nagisa to kindergarten that left her with no regrets for leaving her career.
That, combined with how hamfistedly they set it up to happen for this one event, meant I didn't care about how she got over this. And then it didn't matter how it was presented.

I wonder if I'm not being entirely fair in this case. I've grown up a lot, and the characters of the show are in high school. Maybe it makes sense that they (and Nagisa in particular) wouldn't see these answers? Or maybe it's something else...

This post was bouncing around a bit in my head as I wrapped up the show.

Trust me. The people who claim zero tolerance for "moe" (which is nonsense, but...not worth the post) would drop most Key anime. Their style is to use the characters in comedic situations to appeal to you and then do horrible things to them once you're emotionally attached.

If your response to Ayumi (or Ayu or Nagisa or Misuzu) is not "how cute" but "how do I shut this girl off?" it doesn't work. At all.

And I say this as a fan of Jun Maeda and Key's work.

A drama like this has to work emotionally in the moment to have impact. That's the most important thing. And it consistently hasn't worked for me emotionally. So that's kind of it.

8aMlAny.jpg

The classic Key problem: I don't like this face.

I'm not anti-moe, but a work has to bring more to its characters for me to like them. A cute character design, on its own, does very little for me. And I found the characters in Clannad, especially the ones they wanted me to care deeply about, to fall short frequently. As a result, I found the first season really mediocre on the whole. Toradora is a better execution of a similar concept.

geu706W.jpg

Oh what could have been.

Even so, I'm pretty hopeful for After Story. Not only have I heard much better things about it (even from the people who aren't huge fans of the series as a whole), but I look forward to something like this being done in an adult setting. Most importantly, there are a lot of issues that Tomoya has that the series has danced around to this point, which leave it feeling almost incomplete. My understanding is that those things get addressed, which makes me excited.

We'll see!

VRMN

Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-ray Box

I would love to have this, but the lack of English subtitles is probably a deal breaker. A lot of times on these kinds of rereleases I've seen them including the English dub if it exists, as well, but I could probably live without that so long as I had subs. I know some Japanese, but not nearly enough to watch Eva without subtitles.

Alas...I guess I have to hope that Funimation or someone gets the rights to release the show on BD in the US so I can at least have the show, even without all those delicious extras.

Sterok

Aikatsu 122

Drama episodes are still the best. Extra wacky, and they tend to bring out large casts. They even dragged out Mizuki for her first appearance of the season, whose prior drama appearance was the only time the entirety of Star Anis was together. Yurika keeps getting good billing for her position. Ichigo, Aoi, and Otome are terrible vampires. Sumire was great though. Idolizing Yurika does have its benefits. Hinaki had the best part though. She had the most fun with everything.

Most of the new characters have been implicitly paired up with one of the old cast. Akari/Ichigo, Sumire/Yurika, Hinaki/Otome, Miyabi/Sakura. That leaves Juri. Hm, she's an actress, so Aoi makes the most sense. Or lol Shion. Or Kaede since they both throw in foreign words randomly.

Cornbread78

Even so, I'm pretty hopeful for After Story. Not only have I heard much better things about it (even from the people who aren't huge fans of the series as a whole), but I look forward to something like this being done in an adult setting. Most importantly, there are a lot of issues that Tomoya has that the series has danced around to this point, which leave it feeling almost incomplete. My understanding is that those things get addressed, which makes me excited.

We'll see!

Yeah, if you have the free time, I would recommend marathoning episode 15-End of After Story. I know it's 3 hours or so of time, but it makes following the story so much better. The beginning of After Story is an extension of S1, but it gets better and all of those questions above get answered in an unforgettable way. You can go back and laugh at my reactions to the season when your done, especially after certain events, but I actually came to appreciate some of the smaller things that carry over from S1 and the way things play out in S2 even more.
I actually missed a few important lines that I didn't catch until I went back and watched the scene again since I was a little choked up at time.

I can't wait to read your reactions to After Story and how you feel they play out the story as well as the content before it ends.
It's probably because of my own real life, but I was really taken away into the hurricane of emotions that it brings. I can say with certainty that it makes a difference on your own beliefs on family and love, especially on what those mean to you and what you've experienced.

To me, it was some real powerful stuff.
I also watched it without your typical anime prejudices, so that made a big difference for me as well.

I Love Nagisa, she was great, btw.

VRMN

You summed up quite nicely as to why I think Nagisa is the best-executed female cast member of the series. But yeah, I think Clannad's first season by itself is good, but not great. It was probably only my third-favorite romance the year that it aired.

After Story is one of my favorite anime of all time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom