• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Oops, Right Stuf Tumblr jumped the gun before their panel even started~

http://rightstufanime.tumblr.com/post/123145322826/we-just-announced-a-ton-of-new-licenses-and
We just announced a ton of new licenses and projects at our Anime Expo 2015 panel​! You can go here for all the details, but here’s a rundown of everything we announced!

New titles coming soon from Nozomi Entertainment include Tamayura: Hitotose, Umi Monogatari, Big Windup! Season 2, Pita-Ten, and A Town Where You Live! Check Nozomi Entertainment’s Facebook page throughout this weekend to see trailers for several of these titles!

We’re also very excited to announce that our first ever Blu-ray release will be Revolutionary Girl Utena in 2016!

Finally, the original Mobile Suit Gundam will be released on Blu-ray in the coming months! We also have plans to release Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, After War Gundam X, and the Turn A Gundam movie collection!

Thanks for everyone who attended our Anime Expo panel today, and we hope you all enjoy our upcoming releases!

Cornbread78

Your Lie in April 17-18 [REWATCH]

Here we go. The performances in this show are some of the best parts of this show. The music speaks for the characters and there's a beautiful melancholy to that. Time for me to wrap this up. Four episodes left.

your-lie-in-april-ep-18.png

This whole sequence is awesome. They lead you to think something totally different is happening, but in reality his "sensei" instincts are on point..

Phatmac

Another solid episode of cooking action with Soma having his toughest challenge yet. Dual-wielding frying pans was a great moment. I'm glad we're done with the cooking camp arc and can move on with the story. I loved the Street Fighter art during the episode.

e_i

Rigthstuf has Tamayura!
Rigthstuf has Tamayura!
Rigthstuf has Tamayura!
Rigthstuf has Tamayura!
Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!Rigthstuf has Tamayura!

Do we have any idea when this is supposed to land ?

Curse you, Angra Mainyu, for making me anticipate this.
I was personally in the panel itself (even asked a question) and the translated phrase was "single feature". Context was that Hikaru Kondo was wishing to do a 6 hour movie but that was infeasible.

Personally, I still think that they still haven't finalized plans yet.

sonicmj1

From the director of Devil Survivor 2 and Danganronpa comes another incredible anime!

Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace 1: The Human Chair Part 1

I'm a big fan of Edogawa Ranpo. Ranpo (whose name is a loose Japanese translation of Edgar Alan Poe) was a prolific writer of horror and mystery stories from the 1920s through the Japanese postwar, heavily influenced by Western writers such as Poe and Arthur Conan Doyle. My main experience with his writing is through his early works, and The Human Chair in particular is one of my favorite short stories ever. That story, largely the first-person narrative of an ugly carpenter who decides to secretly live inside of a luxurious chair of his own design, builds tension both through its rich description of sensations and the clear gradual unraveling of the narrator's psyche. It's smartly unsettling, and I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

Ranpo Kitan draws on Ranpo's most popular characters: the tales of detective Kougoro Akechi, and his sidekick, the boy Kobayashi. This popular children's series is a natural place to start if you're making a series about Ranpo. The question is what you do from there.

Ey3MAsC.jpg
LLtsAXU.jpg

Ooh, violence!

The simplest way to sum it up is that while the original story The Human Chair was a gradual descent into the madness of the narrator (laden with a really well-done twist on expectations), this version is a modern day shock-horror revolving around a murderer who turns his victims into chairs, complete with an opening shot of a dismembered, beheaded victim artfully arranged. While Kobayashi is aged up a year here to put him in middle school, the Holmes-like Akechi, married in the original works, is aged down to high school (complete with an L-like license from the government to spend time solving mysteries instead of going to school). There's also a protective class president character trying to look out for the feminine-looking and sounding Kobayashi. It's easy to guess why these changes were made. Moreover, their new homeroom teacher is a 32-year-old woman who dresses up in a goth-loli catgirl outfit to teach classes, with an attitude to match.

EIi5jbQ.jpg
mxeNhTx.jpg

Professional attire.

In short, it's anime as all hell, with all the shortcomings that go with it.

Kobayashi's seeming obliviousness to the murder, his potential conviction, and the danger he is in comes across less as bravery and more as some kind of serious mental problem. More than that (since the audience is presented with his perspective), it saps any kind of tension from the mystery. In trying to split the difference between the kid-friendly Boys' Detective Club series and Ranpo's earlier, more lurid stories, we get the worst of both worlds. It's too gory to be fun, and too frivolous to be dangerous. The anime-isms already undercut any sort of psychological exploration. I don't even want to know where the foreshadowy wrist-slitting scars on the teacher are going to lead.

TemYsvO.jpg
6KEp533.jpg

Also, one of the investigating detectives spends all his time hunched over with his arms crossed over his stomach. I'm sure he's not hiding anything.

The show's main stylistic touch is how it portrays non-essential characters as black-and-white shadows, at least up until the point where they're introduced. This is primarily meant to highlight a point that Akechi makes early on, that people tend to ignore things they believe don't concern them. But it's a weird trait to explicitly attach to Kobayashi's perspective, given how perceptive he's shown to be in this episode.

F9d0kVu.jpg

It also creates weird moments where the characters talk to shadow-people, which always comes across as bizarre.

The whole production comes across as incredibly clumsy. As a mystery story about brilliant detectives, the deductions in this episode are embarrassing. And as an adaptation of classic literature, it butchers the spirit of both of the works it adapts. Avoid.

Tuck

Gate - 1
It was alright, I guess. I wouldn't call it terrible. I also wouldn't call it good. I'll probably watch another episode. The concept is interesting, but I'm pretty sure a self-described otaku main character is a bad sign. Also there were some really weird cuts throughout the episode that felt pretty janky. I dunno, not much really happened.

cajunator

Banned
From the director of Devil Survivor 2 and Danganronpa comes another incredible anime!

I'm a big fan of Edogawa Ranpo. Ranpo (whose name is a loose Japanese translation of Edgar Alan Poe) was a prolific writer of horror and mystery stories from the 1920s through the Japanese postwar, heavily influenced by Western writers such as Poe and Arthur Conan Doyle. My main experience with his writing is through his early works, and The Human Chair in particular is one of my favorite short stories ever. That story, largely the first-person narrative of an ugly carpenter who decides to secretly live inside of a luxurious chair of his own design, builds tension both through its rich description of sensations and the clear gradual unraveling of the narrator's psyche. It's smartly unsettling, and I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

Ranpo Kitan draws on Ranpo's most popular characters: the tales of detective Kougoro Akechi, and his sidekick, the boy Kobayashi. This popular children's series is a natural place to start if you're making a series about Ranpo. The question is what you do from there.

The simplest way to sum it up is that while the original story The Human Chair was a gradual descent into the madness of the narrator (laden with a really well-done twist on expectations), this version is a modern day shock-horror revolving around a murderer who turns his victims into chairs, complete with an opening shot of a dismembered, beheaded victim artfully arranged. While Kobayashi is aged up a year here to put him in middle school, the Holmes-like Akechi, married in the original works, is aged down to high school (complete with an L-like license from the government to spend time solving mysteries instead of going to school). There's also a protective class president character trying to look out for the feminine-looking and sounding Kobayashi. It's easy to guess why these changes were made. Moreover, their new homeroom teacher is a 32-year-old woman who dresses up in a goth-loli catgirl outfit to teach classes, with an attitude to match.

Kobayashi's seeming obliviousness to the murder, his potential conviction, and the danger he is in comes across less as bravery and more as some kind of serious mental problem. More than that (since the audience is presented with his perspective), it saps any kind of tension from the mystery. In trying to split the difference between the kid-friendly Boys' Detective Club series and Ranpo's earlier, more lurid stories, we get the worst of both worlds. It's too gory to be fun, and too frivolous to be dangerous. The anime-isms already undercut any sort of psychological exploration. I don't even want to know where the foreshadowy wrist-slitting scars on the teacher are going to lead.

The show's main stylistic touch is how it portrays non-essential characters as black-and-white shadows, at least up until the point where they're introduced. This is primarily meant to highlight a point that Akechi makes early on, that people tend to ignore things they believe don't concern them. But it's a weird trait to explicitly attach to Kobayashi's perspective, given how perceptive he's shown to be in this episode.

The whole production comes across as incredibly clumsy. As a mystery story about brilliant detectives, the deductions in this episode are embarrassing. And as an adaptation of classic literature, it butchers the spirit of both of the works it adapts. Avoid.

I still cant get over this anime having the name of a Louisiana town.

duckroll

I was personally in the panel itself (even asked a question) and the translated phrase was "single feature". Context was that Hikaru Kondo was wishing to do a 6 hour movie but that was infeasible.

Personally, I still think that they still haven't finalized plans yet.

Is it true Miura is directing again?

Pretty sure the shadow people have to do with how the boy finds everything around him boring, and only starts seeing them in color when he finds interest in them like you also said. I however can't see where things are clumsy so far?

ibyea

Banned

Shame, I was actually looking forward to this one.

Everything Funimation acquired I'm just gonna wait for the inevitable simuldub to start watching. No reason to expect they won't simuldub everything going forward

Andrew J.

Gate 01

It strikes me as telling that the author, when writing a story featuring adult characters, went straight for the 33-years-old symbolism for the protagonist.

yami4ct

Utena blu-ray! I would be way more excited if I didn't just buy the awesome DVD box sets like a year ago. Will probably wait of them to go on sale in that case. Still, really glad that and 0079 are finally getting clear releases here. The other Gundam pickups are exciting, though. Sure hope we can get a Turn A and Zeta blu ray box sooner rather than later. I'll also definitely be grabbing X. That's a really underrated show.

cajunator

Banned
Utena blu-ray! I would be way more excited if I didn't just buy the awesome DVD box sets like a year ago. Will probably wait of them to go on sale in that case. Still, really glad that and 0079 are finally getting clear releases here.

I already have the two DVD releases (one was a long time ago) but I did promise to triple dip if blurays were released and I am a cat penguin of my word.

Articalys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom