• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Everything Funimation acquired I'm just gonna wait for the inevitable simuldub to start watching. No reason to expect they won't simuldub everything going forward

they only simuldubbed like half of their last batch. (though more of them might have been added later and I missed it)

I think in general they only have the ability to dub like 10 shows at once (including the ones they are doing for dvd release) so I wouldn't expect much more than 5 show for simuldub.

Here's hoping Funi announces a Broadcast Dub of Dragon Ball Super. I really didn't want to have to sit through Grandma Goku.

see, after thinking about it if they don't announce a simuldub for db super I will likely just watch the series without sound... perhaps with rock the dragon playing on repeat while watching the show lol.

sonicmj1

Pretty sure the shadow people have to do with how the boy finds everything around him boring, and only starts seeing them in color when he finds interest in them like you also said. I however can't see where things are clumsy so far?

I agree with you that that's what they're going for. But I think that element comes across in a really clumsy way because it's just used as a brute-force solution.

In any scene where the characters are holding conversations with these shadow-people (who talk and emote just as they would if they were real), there's a really strong sense of dissonance for us as viewers. They're presented fully in scene, like the teacher in my last screenshot, yet we're being denied visual information. This feels very different from similar choices, like the ideogram crowds in Penguindrum, or even the color silhouettes in #FE, traits applied to non-speaking characters. If this was meant to show Kobayashi's disinterest in those characters, wouldn't it be just as effective to keep them out of frame when they talk?

The mystery is also being badly handled. For an adaptation of a classic formal mystery series, it seems bizarre that the first episode delivers a mystery premise without delivering any suspects. There's nothing to guess at yet because it's so busy delivering exposition about the setting that the mystery itself gets shunted aside.

Everything comes across flat to me.

yami4ct

I already have the two DVD releases (one was a long time ago) but I did promise to triple dip if blurays were released and I am a cat penguin of my word.

I don't mind the double dip, but my first dip was too soon ago to go again, haha. I will grab them eventually. Utena is worth it.

yami4ct

I really might have to buy that. Ive heard nothing but good things about FMA before.

I like the original FMA a lot, but I think the ending is terrible. The manga (Brotherhood) ending isn't much better, but I think that series felt more complete overall.

Risette

A Good Citizen
lmao at a funimation set costing nearly $300. disc listing is only 6 for 51 episodes so it'll probably still be near bootleg quality.

Narag

lmao at a funimation set costing nearly $300. disc listing is only 6 for 51 episodes so it'll probably still be near bootleg quality.

To be fair, I think the base version is $50 but you know how people are with CEs. They'll spend extra for the dumbest of shit.

Outlaw Star - 08

Spaceships that use grappler arms to fire pistols, and use a wide range of hand-to-hand combat weapons to fight each other? This is glorious. Your ships machine gun got destroyed? WHIP OUT A SWORD

blmgfafdmw.gif

Risette

A Good Citizen
To be fair, I think the base version is $50 but you know how people are with CEs. They'll spend extra for the dumbest of shit.
still, it seems like funimation is trying to capitalize on the success that aniplex and pony canyon are having without the things that actually make their releases good.

Your Lie in April 19-20 [REWATCH]

All the chips are on the table... so to speak...

I know there are some who do not like Tsubaki but I have always sympathized with her. I think she is a strong character and person. Everyone now knows what's at stake here.

And now... The final two episodes.

Taruranto

Moryo no Hako was better #1

Are you shitting me.

This was pretty weird, it's like 2 different things plastered together. At the base you have this gruesome murder mystery, the you have all the animu stuff from modern days like the TEACHER WITH CAT EARS, WTF.

Thoraxes

Yeah, I'm just getting the cheapo $50 release lol

No way in hell I pay a lot of money for Funimation quality releases

Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace 1

I stopped watching when the show introduced the new homeroom teacher with the obnoxiously cutesy way of speaking and dressing that's clearly derived from some twisted otaku fantasies. Even in a light-hearted work I would find this character annoying but in what is ostensibly a serious murder mystery this is beyond the pale.

I'm so glad that Shokugeki no Soma has 24 episodes, it's awesome. Definitely the best ecchi cooking show, It's close to perfect

Last episode was awesome, It's just wonderful to see cool scenes like Soma's cooking, even the comedy is really good.
Shokugeki was one of the best shows this spring and it's probably going to be at the top this summer.

If you aren't already following this show, watch it right now. It's worth it.

they only simuldubbed like half of their last batch. (though more of them might have been added later and I missed it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_anime_simulcasts#Spring_2015

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
High School DxD BorN - Funimation (English dub)
Mikagura School Suite - Funimation (English dub)
Ninja Slayer - Funimation (English dub)
Seraph of the End - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
Show by Rock!! - Funimation (English dub)
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
The Heroic Legend of Arslan - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
Ultimate Otaku Teacher - Funimation (English dub)

Literally everything major they picked up last season got simuldubbed, some came later then others but they did simuldub everything the licensed that wasn't a long runner but OP and FT they're dubbing older stuff first

zulux21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_anime_simulcasts#Spring_2015

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
High School DxD BorN - Funimation (English dub)
Mikagura School Suite - Funimation (English dub)
Ninja Slayer - Funimation (English dub)
Seraph of the End - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
Show by Rock!! - Funimation (English dub)
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
The Heroic Legend of Arslan - Funimation & Hulu (English dub)
Ultimate Otaku Teacher - Funimation (English dub)

Literally everything major they picked up last season got simuldubbed, some came later then others but they did simuldub everything the licensed that wasn't a long runner but OP and FT they're dubbing older stuff first

yeah I missed a few of those (they likely didn't start those until they finished up some of the others)

I'm still going to doubt there will be a super dubcast though as I imagine toonami will want to make sure they air it first and won't allow funimation to release it on their website.

Serious

Classroom Crisis

I keep seeing Aldnoah comparisons, but this reminds me far more of Mouretsu Pirates than anything. Not necessarily plotwise, just the general atmosphere I suppose.

I like it, in any case.

yeah I missed a few of those (they likely didn't start those until they finished up some of the others)

I'm still going to doubt there will be a super dubcast though as I imagine toonami will want to make sure they air it first and won't allow funimation to release it on their website.

Nope, they were doing all of those at the same time, or at least they were releasing them at the same time

From their old news post

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/05/13/announcement-broadcast-dub-line-up-for-spring-2015/

Phase 1

High School DxD BorN (Saturdays at 1:00 pm ET, beginning May 2)

Assassination Classroom (Wednesdays at 8:00 pm ET, beginning May 13)

Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign (Wednesdays at 8:30 pm ET, beginning May 13)

Blood Blockade Battlefront (Wednesdays at 9:00 pm ET, beginning May 13)

Ninja Slayer (Thursdays at 10:00 am ET, beginning May 21)

Phase 2

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (Fridays at 2:10 pm ET, date TBA) [later became 5/29 start date]

Ultimate Otaku Teacher (Saturdays at 7:00 am ET, date TBA)

The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Sundays at 5:00 am ET, date TBA)

Show by Rock!! (Sundays at 9:00 am ET, date TBA)

The others started their simuldubs the second week of June (can't find the exact dates)

So maybe they've finished dubbing some of them already, but in terms of release they're releasing all of them at the same time and none of their simuldub spring premiers are close to ending
Mikagura School Suite (Tuesdays at 4:35 pm ET, date TBA)

Also Toonami is not the only person interested in airing DBS, the bigger question is will Funimation offer the show to the highest bidder in which case AS has no chance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

zulux21

So maybe they've finished dubbing some of them already, but in terms of release they're releasing all of them at the same time and none of their simuldub spring premiers are close to ending
Mikagura School Suite (Tuesdays at 4:35 pm ET, date TBA)

Also Toonami is not the only person interested in airing DBS, the bigger question is will Funimation offer the show to the highest bidder in which case AS has no chance.

I was strictly talking about dubbing them at the same time. I have heard from a number of funimation voice actors that they can't handle more than like 10 shows at the same time for dubbing (they just don't have enough equipment to), that being said they could do the entire dub to the first wave shows, and then once those aren't needing a studio spot anymore start dubbing the second wave stuff and just slowly release the first wave stuff.

funimation will likely offer the show to the highest bidder, but as far as I know there is only really two channels though would likely want it disney xd and cartoon network. While nick was a player it became more and more clear during the korra years that they wanted to shift away from shows aimed at an older demographic and aim for cheap shows aimed at kids.

jbug617

Banned
More info on Gundam Blurays:

@animetoday: @armengol_job Yep! The original Mobile Suit Gundam BDs and DVDs will include the Ocean dub.

‏@animetoday: @Barneybalboa (1/2) The release will be Region 1, but we ship to the UK. ^TH

Also I saw on Twitter that Utena Bluray will be released in 3 sets.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They only announced Utena and the Original Gundam on Bluray today. I would guess the other shows are DVD only.
they're releasing utena and gundam stuff on BD but it seems like these new licenses aren't getting BD
Yeah, even their trailer has ugly DVD styled subtitles on it.
Oh well, I guess I'll buy it anyway since what can you do.

Figures that they own the licenses to the two shows I would want on BD but will never see. lol

fertygo

Aikatsu - 75

These DreAca thing annoy me at first but I'm warming up to them, mainly to how seem obnoxious Seira at first and I'm supposed to believe her is Ichigo equal so suddenly, luckily they handling it very tastefully with making the main cast give no damn about rivalry which is very clever and in-character, Starlight is da bes.

some highlight episode for this first half of S2 :

Sora's backstory episode

Her character is kinda bland, but man her backstory is goddamn ace.. the bult-up motivation for character in the story is very believable and quite touching.

Aoi Episode

Confirmation Aoi is Goddamn Batman

And once again an sight of clever writing with brief flashback
where Aoi lose to Otome at Starlight Queen show-of
f is adding a lot for Aoi character and even for Otome. this eps also have a lot OTP moment dawwwwwwwwww

So after all that, can we talk how big of egomaniac Mizuki is? LOL

She building up return for 2 year to showing how she still da best, ridiculous

Clov

Yeah, even their trailer has ugly DVD styled subtitles on it.
Oh well, I guess I'll buy it anyway since what can you do.

Figures that they own the licenses to the two shows I would want on BD but will never see. lol

Now that they're open to releasing BDs, I'm sure if certain shows perform well they can get a BD release later on!

cajunator

Banned
Moryo no Hako was better #1

Are you shitting me.

This was pretty weird, it's like 2 different things plastered together. At the base you have this gruesome murder mystery, the you have all the animu stuff from modern days like the TEACHER WITH CAT EARS, WTF.

I do believe this is the best part and what Im looking forward to!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Now that they're open to releasing BDs, I'm sure if certain shows perform well they can get a BD release later on!
I wonder what this means for Aria then, if anything. lol
I'm still planning on buying the JP sets, but I'd feel like a dumbass if they announced the BDs right after a thousand bucks is removed from my account.

jbug617

Banned
Watching the preview for the next episode of Soma but looks like they might skip
the Karaage part of the story. Maybe they are making it into a OVA.

Clov

I wonder what this means for Aria then, if anything. lol
I'm still planning on buying the JP sets, but I'd feel like a dumbass if they announced the BDs right after a thousand bucks is removed from my account.

It means there's a chance. Might be in a few years, but it could happen!

zulux21

Watching the preview for the next episode of Soma but looks like they might skip
the Karaage part of the story. Maybe they are making it into a OVA.

I didn't get that feeling, i mean there is still quite a bit of stuff to cover in the next episode before we even have to think about getting to that arc.

i mean it's not impossible, that arc won't be super important until season two of soma.

Cornbread78

Magician's Academy ep. 6-9:

This seriously must be the most eclectic and weird anime I have ever watched. I don't think there is a plot at all and the episides change from crazy moe comedy, to romantic dating scenes with cute moe characters, to harem maddness, to rampaging teachers and demons/angels visiting the school. Eno is definitely a Cajun approved character though... (see maid above)
Almost done, but this show is still weird as hell, but fun...

Syrinx

Aikatsu - 75

These DreAca thing annoy me at first but I'm warming up to them, mainly to how seem obnoxious Seira at first and I'm supposed to believe her is Ichigo equal so suddenly, luckily they handling it very tastefully with making the main cast give no damn about rivalry which is very clever and in-character, Starlight is da bes.

some highlight episode for this first half of S2 :

Sora's backstory episode

Her character is kinda bland, but man her backstory is goddamn ace.. the bult-up motivation for character in the story is very believable and quite touching.

Aoi Episode

Confirmation Aoi is Goddamn Batman

And once again an sight of clever writing with brief flashback
where Aoi lose to Otome at Starlight Queen show-of
f is adding a lot for Aoi character and even for Otome. this eps also have a lot OTP moment dawwwwwwwwww

So after all that, can we talk how big of egomaniac Mizuki is? LOL

She building up return for 2 year to showing how she still da best, ridiculous

Mizuki is scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom