• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Lie in April 21-22 [REWATCH][END]
1280x720-L5F.jpg

Your-Lie-in-April_ep_21_tsubaki_sneeze_anime_BentoByte.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

165775.jpg

RTP1rEm.png

qxz4qib.png

( ;-;)

Beautiful. Absolutely masterful. The last episode nails everything. From animation, music, placement of music and sound, art and storytelling. Everything. I think writing a full series impression (which I haven't done for a long time on here) is going to be a fun write up. Starting on it right now. Just know that it completely nails the landing. Plus I wanted to show off some of the wonderful art used.

Kieli

I really do not like Nakiri Alice's voice.

I know the Japanese love their saccharine and high-pitched voices and all, but....

Ugh.

ibyea

Banned
Ranpo Kitan 1
Meh. I will give it one more episode and see if the mystery is at least good. Also the hell is wrong with Kobayashi?!

Clov

FUCKING BOOOOOO!

Not surprised that they'd say this at all. Harmony Gold is terrible.

Funimation's panel was really underwhelming. Biggest announcement is that they're on the production committee for an upcoming anime called Dimension W. Trailer looked pretty generic.

Articalys

Funi FMA LE details from bayoab's liveblog, and I hope you like the feel of leather:
17:01:46 <bay|AX|FUNi> 300 page full color artbook with leather texture cover
17:01:57 <bay|AX|FUNi> alchemy book styled chipboard box with leather texture and gold foil accents
17:02:45 <bay|AX|FUNi> 10 collectible art cards with textured envelope
17:02:18 <bay|AX|FUNi> 3 deluxe 8x10 textured art prints
17:02:10 <bay|AX|FUNi> suitcase packaging with leather texture
And that's why it's at an import price without actually being an import.

Articalys

who give a fuck if they still bloat the disc a la bootleg

just import the real deal
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote it or anything; I'm also firmly in the camp that the video quality will be messed up in some way. I'm just providing the likely explanation for why it's $250.

cajunator

Banned
It's from the Kiniro Mosaic mangaka.

oh it definitely seems like it!

Magician's Academy ep. 6-9:

This seriously must be the most eclectic and weird anime I have ever watched. I don't think there is a plot at all and the episides change from crazy moe comedy, to romantic dating scenes with cute moe characters, to harem maddness, to rampaging teachers and demons/angels visiting the school. Eno is definitely a Cajun approved character though... (see maid above)
Almost done, but this show is still weird as hell, but fun...

Catgirl maids are best maids!

fertygo

Can funi fund something that actually will be hard to make without murucah dollar
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote it or anything; I'm also firmly in the camp that the video quality will be messed up in some way. I'm just providing the explanation for why it's $250.

Yeah, I also just talking thing in general, don't worry.

Articalys

Of course!
Ah well, I don't know if I should wait on the off chance that Nozomi does a BD of it. I almost would have rather they ignored BD completely so I don't have this uncertainty. lol
If it makes you feel any better, in light of your half-joking "right after a thousand bucks is removed from my account" comment, the combined price of all three Aria sets on Amazon Japan right now is about 72000 yen, which is only about US$580, or 735 dollars in whatever weird currency you use up in the north.

Soma 14

SE9jACP.jpg
mOpT7QP.jpg

Good thing they made Erina the most annoying SF character, Hisako should prob be Guile because turtling

I don't really remember what happens next but this is the really long arc. This confirmed 2cour?

I can kinda agree now Alice's voice sounds a little off. Like it isn't what I imagined her to sound like.

Futurecard Buddyfight100 (Hundred) Episode 13 (engDub)
CJB36VmWIAAhSvN.png

Tasuku got such a cool powerup from his training and he finally looks so much better. Still, wish it was Death Shido who could have gained a win for once.

Series got dark fast.

Well Funi's panel sucked. Nothing about the Bandai titles?
The titles they announced from Bandai at Otakon 2013 were titles held by Sunrise (as with Sentai). Both companies are still waiting for materials from Sunrise (who has seemingly prioritized their deal with RightStuf as it's likely more popular). This is a rare instance where the JP company can be blamed for the delay instead of Funi.

Looks like Funi is co producing anime now.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Begin the death counter for Funi. (Manga Entertainment, ADV, and Geneon were on committees and uh....)

duckroll

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Begin the death counter for Funi. (Manga Entertainment, ADV, and Geneon were on committees and uh....)

Don't forget Bandai Entertainment! Manga is still alive in UK though. Lol.

Geneon was a real trendsetter back in the day. Not only were they on production committees for a number of shows, I heard they overpaid out of the ass for some licenses too. It was the golden age of American money flowing into the Japanese anime industry, and in the end everyone got burned. RIP Gonzo!

kewlmyc

Sword Art Online II "Gun Gale Online" Arc aka Sinon Ass Shots: the Animation

saoii111.jpg

For the love of God, Kawahara. Learn how to write better climaxs to your arcs.
A 15 minute attempted rape scene does not make a good climax. At least Sinon was more worried about Kirito being in danger than herself. :/

Other than shitting the bed during the climax of the arc.... again, I really enjoyed this arc. Sinon still suffers the curse of being a worse character when around Kirito, but it isn't as severe as Asuna's case. Sinon was really cool character with a pretty interesting backstory that I wasn't expecting from a series like this. I don't regret ordering that figure of her months ago now. Hell, this arc even added some characterization for Kirito. It wasn't much, but I appreciated the gesture. There were a lot of callbacks to the more interesting parts of SAO so I appreciate that as well. GGO is also a way more interesting world than ALO so I'm kinda disappointed the rest of the show is going to go back to ALO.

As for the negatives, there rather expected and nitpicky.
I wish we could have at least one male character other than Kirito that wasn't either a loser, shady as hell, villain, or murderer/rapist.
Shit's getting ridiculous at this point. I know this is a harem and no one is watching it for the guys, but it's really makes it hard to get immersed in this world. Well, unless you're self-inserting as Kirito, which is probably the whole point of this series. Also, Kirito being OP as fuck was annoying as usual, but I will say it didn't bother me as much as it did in in Fairy Dance. Also Yui can hack things in the real world now? Okay sure.

All and all, this might be my favorite arc of the series so far (didn't take much to be honest). Sinon being a interesting character and having the best chemistry with Kirito of all the characers so far was fun to watch (though how hard is it to have chemistry with with a bland piece of wood :p). Death Gun was probably the best villain so far, well until the climax happened. And even a little bit of character development for Kirito is good, even if it amounts to barely anything at the end. Would rate it higher, but damn that climax was bullshit. Please tell me Kawahara gets better at writing endings to his arcs at some point.

7.5/10

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I didn't get that feeling, i mean there is still quite a bit of stuff to cover in the next episode before we even have to think about getting to that arc.

i mean it's not impossible, that arc won't be super important until season two of soma.

They're very clearly skipping the entire arc unless we're supposed to believe that
Jouchirou shows up at Polar Star and just sits around for an entire month. You could very easily split it up so that Jouchirou arrives first and then Soma goes home second, but there's no logical reason to actually do that. Its far more likely, unfortunately, that their plan is to slow roll all of the early material and then rush the fuck through the entire election arc.

Shokugeki no Soma 4-7

This show is like, subverting all the expectations I had for it going in.

Like, I was expecting the dorm to be filled with a bunch of unlikable losers and the dorm itself to be THE WORST DORM IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL.

But actually no! The people there are actually likable characters with enjoyable personalites! The dorm actually had produced good cooks in the past too!

And it turns out one of the students there is the SEVENTH BEST IN THE ENTIRE SCHOOL! Okay, so he puts up the facade of a silly guy but is actually gonna be a real scary jerk right?

Actually no! He's pretty fun and likable too! The cast of the main characters is enjoyable without it having to resort to forced drama or anything!

Then that freaking cook-off in episode 7. I knew Soma would win. It was obvious. But man, watching that smug look on that meat girl's face getting wiped off is just so damn satisfying. It helps a lot that Soma isn't a wimpy protagonist with a contrived tragic backstory or anything. He's just a dude who's got a natural talent who just wants to surpass his dad. The show manages to stay interesting the way Soma brings a new concoction to the table every time!

I love this show. Like, I REALLY love this show. It's that kind of positive show that I can just sit down and enjoy. It really is like Gundam Build Fighters in a way. It's just so good

ibyea

Banned
Gangsta 1
It's halfway decent, as long as you don't expect any groundedness in terms of action and violence. Looks dull as heck though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If it makes you feel any better, in light of your half-joking "right after a thousand bucks is removed from my account" comment, the combined price of all three Aria sets on Amazon Japan right now is about 72000 yen, which is only about US$580, or 735 dollars in whatever weird currency you use up in the north.
Yeah, it's more 1:1 in CAD because the dollar here is tanking hard. lol

Don't forget Bandai Entertainment! Manga is still alive in UK though. Lol.

Geneon was a real trendsetter back in the day. Not only were they on production committees for a number of shows, I heard they overpaid out of the ass for some licenses too. It was the golden age of American money flowing into the Japanese anime industry, and in the end everyone got burned. RIP Gonzo!

Companies learned during the bubble not to overpay for licenses in a mad rush for sight unseen in a "gotta get them all" pattern and we're in a better place now.

Oh wait, companies are starting to acquire titles for Fall now and announce them w/simlucast rights, Sentai paid for the most expensive title known around, and Funi's back on committees. LESSONS LEARNED!

AX has kinda shown the companies are hitting another bubble with streaming as titles aren't moving much, if any better, at physical stores. Sigh. I'm glad I went JP only now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom