• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the Syo one (UtaPri)
CNPOu2_VAAA8j-A.jpg

Squalor

Caught up on Rokka Episode 8

My thoughts

Looks like they are breaking up the pacing nicely. Some talking, some mystery, then some fighting. Wasn't expecting such a neat little break right into the action. I hope they continue to mix things up and keep the story moving forward

It IS odd that they spent time doing world building in the beginning (though that was also pleasantly brief! YAY!) but its becoming clear that this mystery/traitor arc is the current focus. As for now Im in and will continue to see where they take this.

Also are there any other great fantasy/action animes that have hit in this style

I kind of enjoyed Akame Ga Kill. Wasnt horrible and I watched Attack on Titan like damn near everyone else

But what gems might I have missed over the past few years?
This Chamo fight is going to be interesting. What a completely fucked-up power she has, haha. No wonder she's considered the strongest.

In recent memory, the only series that seems somewhat similar to Rokka no Yusha is the Katanagatari series. I'm basing that on the scripts, setting, art style, and pacing.

Oh, have you watched Mushishi? If you haven't give that a try, too.
Somewhat recent shows that you might want to watch (all action-oriented):
Baccano!
Fate/Zero
Kill La Kill
Psycho-Pass
(mostly S1)
Durarara!! (somewhat slower-paced than Baccano and still ongoing, though)

More general recommendations:
Monogatari series (starting with Bakemonogatari)
Shokugeki no Souma
Shirobako
Paranoia Agent
Space Brothers
(99 episodes long, though)
Baccano!, Durarara!!, and the Monogatari series are must tries, but even then, none of them are close in style to Rokka.

Space Brothers is okay, but it's hard to recommend when there's a space anime that's exponentially better at everything Space Brothers does. That anime is Planetes.

Gbraga

My thoughts

Looks like they are breaking up the pacing nicely. Some talking, some mystery, then some fighting. Wasn't expecting such a neat little break right into the action. I hope they continue to mix things up and keep the story moving forward

It IS odd that they spent time doing world building in the beginning (though that was also pleasantly brief! YAY!) but its becoming clear that this mystery/traitor arc is the current focus. As for now Im in and will continue to see where they take this.

Also are there any other great fantasy/action animes that have hit in this style

I kind of enjoyed Akame Ga Kill. Wasnt horrible and I watched Attack on Titan like damn near everyone else

Non Non Biyori

Cornbread78

My thoughts

This one can be a little cliche' at times, but some of the action scenes are excellant and the anime is a lot of fun to watch:

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon

Even Better is Yona of the Dawn
fantasy setting female MC, great story to go along with it.

Log Horizon is excellent anime without most of the tropey $hit, that is based on an MMO world like SAO.

Older stuff:

If you don't mind some harem antics, Campione! is excellent and had one of the greatest "mana sharing" scenes in anime.

Dog Days is in a fantasy setting if you don't mind something a little more childish, however, the anime is a lot of fun to watch.

Shinsekai Yori is good if you want something that will really make you think. It's got a great story that developes slowly, but is a worthy ride.

Everyone knows about Sword Art Online, if you haven;t watched it, you are behind, lol.

Oh and 1 more would be The Familiar of Zero this is held in a fantasy setting, has a tsundere female lead, but has a good story and setting.

kewlmyc

My thoughts

Not sure how much you've missed, but these have stood out to me.

Baccano
Gurren Lagann
Fate/Zero
Kill la Kill
Madoka Magica
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Psycho-Pass
Hunter X Hunter (100+ episodes and takes a while to get good, but once it does, holy crap)

blurr

What's the point of entertainment if it isn't meant to be entertaining? You guys sometimes :lol

Well, what I meant is that the show isn't about keeping the viewer consistently amused, it's trying to show a psychological condition and how certain people act. If you can relate to them you'll learn more about yourself but if you think you'll have a fun time, guess again.

Russ T

Banned
Not all "entertainment" is meant to entertain (for the definition "provide (someone) with amusement or enjoyment"). I mean, have you seen Grave of the Fireflies? Who finds joy in something like that? And yet, it's still a piece of work that many admire. A good story.

Squalor

Not all "entertainment" is meant to entertain (for the definition "provide (someone) with amusement or enjoyment"). I mean, have you seen Grave of the Fireflies? Who finds joy in something like that? And yet, it's still a piece of work that many admire. A good story.
All entertainment is meant to entertain.

Grave of the Fireflies is entertaining because of how well written and directed it was.

It wasn't "amusing," but it was entertaining, and I enjoyed it. Entertainment doesn't need to be "amusing," but it at least needs to compel to be entertaining on a more complex level than "that was funny."

Not sure how much you've missed, but these have stood out to me.

Baccano
Gurren Lagann
Fate/Zero
Kill la Kill
Madoka Magica
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Psycho-Pass
Hunter X Hunter (100+ episodes and takes a while to get good, but once it does, holy crap)

Watched Brotherhood - good stuff :)

Hunter X Hunter - Aww... what a heartbreaker. Started great and stayed great until eventually went off the rails. Its the doom of series that go on so long it seems. Real bummer but I really feel like the identity and focus of the show was traded away to make it run longer like most of the franchise animes I have seen.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! Just started Fate/Zero. Like the style so far but man does it take its sweet time to get going

Thats at LEAST the one good thing Rokka has going for it. Gets right into what its actually about.

JulianImp

Baccano!, Durarara!!, and the Monogatari series are must tries, but even then, none of them are close in style to Rokka.

Space Brothers is okay, but it's hard to recommend when there's a space anime that's exponentially better at everything Space Brothers does. That anime is Planetes.

I still haven't watched any more Rokka after EP3 (even though I might end up hopping back in since it seems like it's gotten better according to you guys), so I just recommended stuff based on the other two shows in the post that I did watch and that the poster liked, Akame and AoT.

Yona of the Dawn never managed to hook me so I dropped it pretty quickly, and Trying to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon looked like a very dumb harem series. Log Horizon is okay, but the pacing is quite slow and the story is still nowhere near done after two seasons (there's quite a bit of world-building, though).

Madoka is a great deconstruction of the magical girl genre, but your mileage may vary depending on how well you can stomach the overly moe chracter designs.

Non Non Biyori is a great comfy slice-of-life that makes little girls do things you'd expect kids their age to do. Still, SoL shows aren't for everyone.

Mushishi is also good since it doesn't do anime tropes at all from what I've seen so far, but the way the stories unfold slowly and how they're all episodic means that it's a show I only watch every now and then rather than marathoning through it on a weekend. I'd put it alongside Non Non Biyori as one of the few truly "soothing" series I've watched.

Edit @DrROBschiz: Glad to see you picked F/Z up. It does take a while to get going, but I really liked how much of a focus there was on conspiracies, allegiances and well-animated fight scenes.

Cornbread78

Sorry Mike, you may not want to read this one, lol.

Shuffle! ep. 20-END:
They literally wait until the last episode so that all the girls don’t appear to want to jump off a bridge at any moment in despair. It got really crazy there at the ending with all the drama and stuff. I did appreciate that the MC actually made a decision (wrong one, sorry fans…. Blah to her) but alas, the rest of the anime was just OK. I mean, the whole premise could have been great, but for some reason the tone was horrible and made you feel depressed along with all the girls. With that, rather than enjoying the bits of comedy while watching and having a good laugh at it, it make it almost awkwark at times. Oh well, they probably purposefully made the tone that way to keep it edgy, butit didn;t resonate with me, Oh well. At least I cleared another incomplete anime off my checklist and it's not like the series was horrible because the characters were all interesting and unique, I just really, REALLY hated the tone of it.

What "art" do you not consider entertainment?

The clearest example would be avant-garde art designed to be deliberately offputting or alienating to an audience, such as hard-line serialist music organized by mathematical principles, as evidenced in Milton Babbit's essay "Who Cares If You Listen?"

Entertainment is anything created to hold attention, to be a diversion.

Just pulling up the dictionary.com definition of "entertain", you get "1. to hold the attention of pleasantly or agreeably". So to entertain is specifically to evoke positive emotions in the audience. Art is not always designed with the intent of evoking positive emotions.

Gvitor

I don't think Fate/Zero takes a while to get going. Sure, the first episode is 40min long and having previously no knowledge of the series, I understood shit. However, if that makes any sense, by the end of the episode I retroactively understood what was going on, and by episode 2 I was already hooked.

And Hunter x Hunter is fantastic from the get-go. Even if it drags around in its biggest arc, I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Squalor

The clearest example would be avant-garde art designed to be deliberately offputting or alienating to an audience, such as hard-line serialist music organized by mathematical principles, as evidenced in Milton Babbit's essay "Who Cares If You Listen?"

Just pulling up the dictionary.com definition of "entertain", you get "1. to hold the attention of pleasantly or agreeably". So to entertain is specifically to evoke positive emotions in the audience. Art is not always designed with the intent of evoking positive emotions.
The people who make it like what they're making. Therefore, it's entertainment that's entertaining. Also, there are plenty of people who enjoy the avant-garde.

You can't cherry-pick one definition from one dictionary. Anyway, my first point still stands regardless of what cherry-picked definition you want.

All entertainment is meant to entertain. All art is entertainment.
Okay then well I guess we fundamentally disagree!
I just live in reality.

I don't think Fate/Zero takes a while to get going. Sure, the first episode is 40min long and having previously no knowledge of the series, I understood shit. However, if that makes any sense, by the end of the episode I retroactively understood what was going on, and by episode 2 I was already hooked.

And Hunter x Hunter is fantastic from the get-go. Even if it drags around in its biggest arc, I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

You are more tolerant than i am

That said Fate Zero is compelling enough to keep me on board so far. It is slow though

Hunter X Hunter.... I could go on and on with my grievances there which is a shame since it has a lot to love.

Russ T

Banned
I just live in reality.

Does this reality include a cherry-picked definition of "art" that includes the word "entertain" or some derivation thereof as an absolute and irrefutable quality?

You're being awfully difficult and insulting, here, and I'm not sure why.

The people who make it like what they're making. Therefore, it's entertainment that's entertaining. Also, there are plenty of people who enjoy the avant-garde.

Well.

Not really. Not necessarily.

And "anything created to hold attention or be a diversion" is a really, really wide definition that it's somewhat pointless to make a distinction out of it.

Oh, if now the definition of entertainment is that the people making it enjoy what they are making, what about commercial products (movies, games, etc.) that are made by people slaving away at a company doing jobs they dislike just to earn money? There's certainly entertainment out there where the makers don't seem to be at all invested in their work.

You can't cherry-pick one definition from one dictionary. Anyway, my first point still stands regardless of what cherry-picked definition you want.

I pulled up the easiest dictionary to get to and plucked out the very first definition. But sure, call it cherry-picking if you want. Conflating "art" and "entertainment" is to diminish the resources of the English language by disregarding the different meanings of different words though.

Disregarding just the exact definition of entertainment, just because the subject matter can be somewhat oppressive in shows such as Welcome to the NHK, that doesn't even remotely mean that the show is only that by itself, nor that there's isn't anything to enjoy about it. For once, in all these kinds of shows there's nothing preventing me from enjoying character interaction. In fact, in the ones well done, I enjoy that particularly much due to the effort in portraying rather realistic characters and situations.

Still doesn't mean it's everyone's cup of tea, but criticizing for 'lack of entertainment' without elaborating further is rather pointless.

blurr

I just live in reality.

Well, according to what user Squalor is saying all art is meant to entertain because it captures people's attention/interest regardless of whether or not it is agreeable or brings pleasure. Well then 'entertainment' really is a broad term, should've avoided using it carelessly. Lesson learned.

Seraph of the End
Guilty Crown
Buddy Complex
Hero Bank
Free!
Phi Brain
Mahouka Koukou
Kimi to Boku
Tsuritama
[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
M3 - The Dark Metal
Nagi no Asakura
Glasslip

are must watch gems.

For fantasy action, Oreca Battle and Dragon Collection are my favorite in the genre.

blurr

Seraph of the End
Guilty Crown
Buddy Complex
Hero Bank
Free!
Phi Brain
Mahouka Koukou
Kimi to Boku
Tsuritama
[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
M3 - The Dark Metal
Nagi no Asakura
Glasslip

are must watch gems.

For fantasy action, Oreca Battle and Dragon Collection are my favorite in the genre.

Glasslip?

Seriously? Please explain yourself.

Cornbread78

I almost want to watch Glassip, just to find out what DTL loves about it so much...

How many of you guys have watched Sunday Without God?

Trying to set up the next "Let's Watch" and that seems to be the early favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom