• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
I wanted to watch Glasslip because the idea of an anime about glassblowing fascinates me.

But then I started reading reviews and impressions of the first few episodes and I never gave it a chance in the end. ):

phaze

JIn-Roh: The Wolf-Brigade
0099203pslb.png
009923nds7a.png
0099248hs9w.png
009925k2sgj.png

Soooo, this was pretty good. It kinda threw me for a loop because from, admittedly little that I knew about the movie, but also after the first 15 minutes, I expected something much different. Like, Hellghans vs anti government sect or something. Instead I've got a fine character drama and political thriller. Which, I do feel could have made a bit less confusing for the viewer. Remembering and then keeping track of a dozen similar characters and organisations that show up very briefly in one scene proved a bit too much for me, though fortunately things mostly cleared up later on. To further my list of gripes, the constantly present Red Riding Hood motiv is somewhat of a double edged sword. While it brought in some of the most memorable scenes in the movie and illustrated well the relationship of the two leads, it was also ridiculously tacky and overbearing at few points. I feel like Fuse and Kei could have used some more bonding a time and a little bit less "stiffness" on the part of Fuse. As it is, with their relationship having little time to breathe and being one-sided to boot,
the melodramatic breakdown of Kei
in the ending stages of the movie didn't feel particularly warranted.

Despite all these, mainly minor complaints, Jin-Roh is still a good movie. Not outright amazing but really good. It managed to keep me engaged during its whole run and its twists and turn surprised me quite a few times. It's not a particularly happy tale , a fact only emphasized by its murky visuals and subdued but still haunting OST, and the things to take away from it are depressing but it's a tale worth checking out for sure.

Defuser

I almost want to watch Glassip, just to find out what DTL loves about it so much...

How many of you guys have watched Sunday Without God?

Trying to set up the next "Let's Watch" and that seems to be the early favorite.
Glasslip is fucking terrible. You thought it be glassblowing but it was me! David!!

As for Sunday without God.......it's average I guess, didn't really leave any impact.

kewlmyc

Seraph of the End
Guilty Crown
Buddy Complex
Hero Bank
Free!
Phi Brain
Mahouka Koukou
Kimi to Boku
Tsuritama
[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
M3 - The Dark Metal
Nagi no Asakura
Glasslip

are must watch gems.

For fantasy action, Oreca Battle and Dragon Collection are my favorite in the genre.

Wow, I like [C] as well. I'm surprised anyone remembers it.

Seraph of the End
Guilty Crown
Buddy Complex
Hero Bank
Free!
Phi Brain
Mahouka Koukou
Kimi to Boku
Tsuritama
[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
M3 - The Dark Metal
Nagi no Asakura
Glasslip

are must watch gems.

For fantasy action, Oreca Battle and Dragon Collection are my favorite in the genre.

You guys are gonna overflow my backlog LOL

Exalted

Overlord 8

Wish the episodes were a bit longer .It cut off just at the best part, and it looks like we are finally getting some more action next episode.

javac

It hasn't which is why I was asking. Considering it comes out tomorrow I would've expected it to ship by now.

It says temporarily out of stock at the moment, I guess they might be waiting for another batch. I ordered as soon as it went live but had to make a payment change and had to change my shipping address. No worries.

Wow, I like [C] as well. I'm surprised anyone remembers it.

I have it on disc. I really enjoyed it and rewatch it every now and then. Card aspect + skills was nice.

Glasslip?

Seriously? Please explain yourself.

I loved the kids friendship theme and how they had to handle a new guy getting into their group, as well as the alternate things David and Touko experienced. It was a well crafted story that bridged time and friendship to reward viewers greatly by the time the last minute played.

/XX/

A shame that lately there aren't included comparison pictures in the blog for new received products:

「新世紀エヴァンゲリオン NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Blu-ray BOX」が届いたので記念写真:録画地獄:So-net blog
http://catalina.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2015-08-25-1

e_i

The English dub of the first two episodes of that anime where young girls play a card game, but then it turns dark and stabby for some reason.

JulianImp

Oreimo S2 - EPs 1-4
Episode 1 made me go look the show up, and it looks like S1E12 was a non-canon ending for some reason. Going by the synopsis for the OVAs, Kirino actually left for America, Kuroneko joined the same school as Kyousuke and got into a club where she made games, and she also got closer to him. Honestly, that sounds way better than that awfully corny ending where the eroge Kirino was playing just happened to play a CG where the protagonist begged his little sister to stay, which was exactly what Kirino wanted to hear from her brother.

The episode that showed us Sayori's backstory was nice, and in the end it looks like both of Kirino's sidekicks are actually a thousand times better than the main character herself. I mean, both of them got way more interesting with the little screentime they got than what Kirino accomplished though the whole first season.

Lastly, that episode where Kirino's friend from overseas went to visit her got way too fanservice-y way too fast, including a "confession" from Kyousuke about him being a siscon, which was a rather ham-fisted way of flaunting that he was the only reason why Kirino actually managed to beat her friend at least once (the power of incest love strikes again!).

My Little Sister Can't Be This Much Of An Ancillary Character To Her Own Series.

Sölf

Overlord 8

Wish the episodes were a bit longer .It cut off just at the best part, and it looks like we are finally getting some more action next episode.

This. 24 minutes per episode is not enough for Overlord!
Episode was great as always. I probably have to start reading the novels soon, it's just so damn good.

JulianImp

I want to watch Oreimo S2 but after playing the VN. Sadly, my PSP is broken :(

Do you really need to do that? At least from what I looked up, S2E1 goes right after the last S1 OVA (where Kuroneko
kisses Kyousuke on the cheek
). The show's actually pretty decent and surprised me in a good way, since I wasn't expecting much from what I had heard about Oreimo on the comments here.

I like the chemistry Kyousuke has with Kuroneko a lot more than his exchanges with Kirino, which are almost a carbon copy of Haruhi and Kyon's, only with a lot more verbal abuse from the girl's part.

@MikeHatsu: Possibly. I actually liked how the show's about Kirino bonding with people and helping them accept all facets of her (including her highly controversial love for eroges), it's only that Kyousuke's the only one who actually gets things done and he keeps getting yelled at. I honestly can't stand tsunderes that don't ever mellow down (like Taiga did in Toradora), and Kirino's no better than that little sister character she called out in S1 for being almost 100% tsun-tsun.

javac

Yeah, saw it too in one of the nice posts with updates you make in here. :)

That is the kind of photos from dedicated Mr. Anno I always want to see! I also would love to see more footage from his post-EVA eclectic, 'guru-ish' era... :p

You're too kind :) I love that pic of Anno, there's definitely something about those old pics that make me happy. I guess there's an allure to seeing the people that we look up to and admire and seeing how they changed over the years, it humanizes them.

Anno was such a rebel when he was younger. The pic below is when he was working on Royal Space Force, Wings of Honneamise.

Before Eva he seemed to be much more secluded and after the release of Eva he changed a lot.

This is a very recant picture, I'm glad that he's doing well. He'll always be the man who created Evangelion to many, but at the end of the day he was just a boy who grew up seemingly energetic and talented, turning his negative feelings into a powerful series people still watch to this day. He'll often say thing people may take umbrage at, but in the end he's just a cool dude who made many cool series. I mean, he's Mr. Anno.

So I'm reading an interview on ANN with the director of Yuki Yuna, and I came across this fascinating tidbit:

Q: Can you give an example of a trend that you've seen change over the years, in terms of what the customer wants?

A: One thing that's changed a lot is the characters that the customers want. What's changed is basically the main character. Before, it used to be kind of customary for the main character to really think and get into conflicts with himself about what he was doing and what not. But that characteristic, where the main character faces conflicts and difficulties… that's become very unpopular. What seems to be a recent trend lately with characters, and I can't really pinpoint why, is relatively flat characters—characters that are unmoving, unwavering, relatively plain. As makers, we really see the times moving past us when we see those kinds of characters.

Welp.

phaze

Dennou Coil 09

I think this one is my favourite so far, mainly because the drunk teacher and the juxtaposition of the horror tales with the hilarious overactions made it much funnier then the show usually manages to be. The story seemingly progressed a bit too so that's well, nice.

If your character doesn't face any challenges or real adversity in your story that isn't a parody or a very self-aware comedy, then he or she isn't really a character in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom