• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
If your character doesn't face any challenges or real adversity in your story that isn't a parody or a very self-aware comedy, then he or she isn't really a character in my book.

Yeah, I agree. Unfortunately, that kinda seems like the point. Make them as blank-slate as possible so all the otaku can slip right in in their minds.

Dennou Coil 09

I think this one is my favourite so far, mainly because the drunk teacher and the juxtaposition of the horror tales with the hilarious overactions made it much funnier then the show usually manages to be. The story seemingly progressed a bit too so that's well, nice.

Yeh, great episode. Loved it when Kenichi told these genuinely scary horror stories. The visuals for all that stuff are great, too. The visuals are overall just impressively consistent in terms of production value. At worst you get a few stills montages, but even of those there aren't many.

BluWacky

There's a difference between a "main character" and a "central character".

Haremshit leads, for instance, may be the "central" character, but its all the love interests around him or her who are actually chatacerised. It doesn't matter if he/she has a personality, or any kind of agency or conflict; it's everyone else that the audience is watching for, after all.

Interesting, however, that it should be the director of Yuki Yuna who might say this. Yuki Yuna is on the surface a Madoka clone; Madoka is perhaps the absolute archetype of this, where Madoka herself faces virtually no character development throughout the show. Admittedly, however, Madoka is a show that de-emphasises character in favour of plot (IMO), so perhaps not the greatest example

It's also worth noting, perhaps, that self-reflection and self-doubt is often interpreted as "whining" and "excessive angst" by many fans. Often this is due to its overblown nature; anime isn't often the place for nuance, after all.

@MikeHatsu: Possibly. I actually liked how the show's about Kirino bonding with people and helping them accept all facets of her (including her highly controversial love for eroges), it's only that Kyousuke's the only one who actually gets things done and he keeps getting yelled at. I honestly can't stand tsunderes that don't ever mellow down (like Taiga did in Toradora), and Kirino's no better than that little sister character she called out in S1 for being almost 100% tsun-tsun.

Well, you've been warned about the S2 OVAs so proceed at your own risk.

Ascheroth

Haremshit leads, for instance, may be the "central" character, but its all the love interests around him or her who are actually chatacerised. It doesn't matter if he/she has a personality, or any kind of agency or conflict; it's everyone else that the audience is watching for, after all.

Interesting, however, that it should be the director of Yuki Yuna who might say this. Yuki Yuna is on the surface a Madoka clone; Madoka is perhaps the absolute archetype of this, where Madoka herself faces virtually no character development throughout the show. Admittedly, however, Madoka is a show that de-emphasises character in favour of plot (IMO), so perhaps not the greatest example

It's also worth noting, perhaps, that self-reflection and self-doubt is often interpreted as "whining" and "excessive angst" by many fans. Often this is due to its overblown nature; anime isn't often the place for nuance, after all.

I get the reasoning behind it, even though I don't like it. My "Why" was more or less meant as a "Why would you do this!?" kinda thing. My mistake, the things I mean don't translate that well into the things I write : P

Sore ga Seiyuu - 08

I...only watched the ED :[

It's easily the best part of this show. Wish it managed to package itself into something more interesting as Shirobako managed. There's so much undisguised exposition that it feels like I'm watching half a documentary...and it's as interesting as (a mediocre) one.

Just marathoned the Prison School manga up to the current point and now I really really hope the anime adaption gets second season sometime in future. So much great stuff there. Laughed my head off constantly. Now I have also an pretty good idea where the current anime adaption will end.

I think Shinji is a great example of this, considering how much hate he gets for those exact reasons, despite being anything but flat.

jonjonaug

Madoka spends 8 out of 12 episodes in a near constant state of self-reflection and self-doubt. What show did you watch?

BluWacky

Madoka spends 8 out of 12 episodes in a near constant state of self-reflection and self-doubt. What show did you watch?

The one where she had little to no character development. Doing nothing until the final episode, and basically being little but sweetness and light when everyone else is becoming progressively more unstable or dead, is not big development.

Plus... she doesn't actually wrestle with the consequences of her actions in the manner described, because she doesn't DO anything until the end of the show. She watches, and watches, and watches. Homura and Sayaka are far more introspective.

phaze

Toradora 14-25 [fin]

So this half is notorious for being drama heavy especially in comparison to the first cour and is more in line with Okada's 'tastes'. The underlying emotions behind many of these relationships start to fester around episode 14 and repeatedly blow up in a character's face. Often times, an individual will be told a hard truth in the most direct and harsh manner possible resulting in tears or fists. I wasn't joking when I said that the anime could be titled, Getting Called Out: The Show. The only one who skated by was Ryuuji in the conclusion for the final arc, as I think he deserved to get shit on more than he did. Asshole made Yasuko cry.

Bit late but thanks for this. Great and in some parts enlightening write up. Can't really comment at length as it has been a while, so I'll just say that while I prefer the first less heavy half, the second one does well to resolve all the issues that were foreshadowed, alluded to and building up since the beginning. Though even if some of it was unavoidable, for me, it still really goes overboard with melodrama in a few scenes.

Yeh, great episode. Loved it when Kenichi told these genuinely scary horror stories. The visuals for all that stuff are great, too. The visuals are overall just impressively consistent in terms of production value. At worst you get a few stills montages, but even of those there aren't many.

There was a surprising number of them in the last few episodes. It doesn't bother me in the slightest but in a show so renowned (deservedly so) for animation quality it's a bit surprising.

John Blade

YoureUnderArrest2Filmbook-01.jpg

It's kinda weird to say this is but the quick and dirty impression of this show is it's season 1 of the TV show but with a touch of modern animation for the show. That's basically the rough idea of 2nd season of You're Under Arrest. This is a good or bad thing for people who are watching this show but I guess we need to start from the beginning.

The story line of this 2nd season is basically the same from the 1st season. You follow Miyuki and Natsumi in their "adventure of the day," situation which they need to solve as a police officer while at the same time get help from their college from they police station. Along the way, life throw a cure ball in their life after work which both need to solve together. That's basically the main idea of the show for the 1st half of the show. Everyone in the show from the 1st season is here also and the chemistry between Miyuki and Natsumi when work together is in here too. Not saying they isn't new characters as they is few but they're not really too major except for few which play a bit role later in the show.

The major different is one of the character in the show from season 1, Saori, is now a new police officer for Bokuto Station's Traffic Division and she become one of the secondary characters you follow a lot in this season. Not saying Miyuki and Natsumi is now taking a back seat as they're still the major player for this show but you will notice Saori a bit here as she is kinda the glue that hold both main characters in the show and you will notice it a lot around 3/4 of the show.

Another major different in this show is they is more multi episode which contain quite a bit of major character development. This is mostly coming toward Miyuki and Natsumi character as Miyuki is leaving the police force for training and you see her co-workers/ friends and Natsumi(mostly) is trying to cope with this issue and question themselves of how they will work together when Miyuki.

For animation, it's much more nicer than the season 1 TV show but still didn't beat the OVA version. It look fine and workable for the most part but you do wish the animator spend a bit more time on the character or the background.

For the music, it use a lot of the soundtrack from season 1 and even the OVA which isn't a bad thing as I am starting to like it quite a bit. They is some new music here but nothing that stand out as I am watching the show. Only the old song from previous show stand out much better here.

So, it come down to who will like this show. Like I say in the beginning, this show is season 1 of the TV show but with a touch of modern animation. I guess this is a where you notice some minor issue. It repeat few of the idea from season 1 into here. This isn't really a bad thing but it does feel a bit repeat on idea here. Hell, even the major event in the later of the show have been used before in the OVA but this time it spread out more here which is fine. I guess if you're coming into this show and want the same feel that you love in season 1, then you will most likely will like this show. But, if you want more than what you got from season 1, then you will be more disappointed as they don't bring many new ideas on the table when making this show.

Still, it's a fun show to watch and would recommend people to watch it but only if you want the typical, "adventure of the day" plot line with maybe some deep character development in this show.

jonjonaug

The one where she had little to no character development. Doing nothing until the final episode, and basically being little but sweetness and light when everyone else is becoming progressively more unstable or dead, is not big development.

Plus... she doesn't actually wrestle with the consequences of her actions in the manner described, because she doesn't DO anything until the end of the show. She watches, and watches, and watches. Homura and Sayaka are far more introspective.

Just because she isn't shooting monsters doesn't mean she isn't moving the story forward, or developing in any way. Madoka makes the same choices regardless (become a magical girl, stand against Walpurgis Night), but her motivations and reason for this change vastly throughout the course of the series.

javac

There was a surprising number of them in the last few episodes. It doesn't bother me in the slightest but in a show so renowned (deservedly so) for animation quality it's a bit surprising.

It is? Never watched the show but from my second hand interactions with the series I never assumed that that it was anything out of the norm, if that. I guess I'm out of touch with what people consider good animation then, and I mean that earnestly and not condescendingly.

It is? Never watched the show but from my second hand interactions with the series I never assumed that that it was anything out of the norm, if that. I guess I'm out of touch with what people consider good animation then, and I mean that earnestly and not condescendingly.

Well kind of depends. For how consistently high the production values are in this show, they actually do sort of stand, even if I wouldn't bat an eye seeing that stuff most of the time.

When I was going through the episodes making screenshots I was quite astonished that there just didn't seem to be a bad looking frame (where ever I paused).

Risette

A Good Citizen
it's the most well animated TV anime series ever.

phaze

I have seen it referred to as the best looking show ever and generally widely praised so I think so. Though at least so far, it doesn't put all of its efforts into some crazy action sequences but rather devotes it more evenly to more subtle things like character movement/facial animation of which it has copious amounts of compared to most other shows.

javac

Huh. I'm stumped, genuinely so. I could go off on a tangent about this and that but I'll leave it at that. I'm out of touch with that people consider good *shrug*

I have seen it referred to as the best looking show ever and generally widely praised so I think so. Though at least so far, it doesn't put all of its efforts into some crazy action sequences but rather devotes it more evenly to more subtle things like character movement/facial animation of which it has copious amounts of compared to most other show.

Yup it has very few if any of those extremely flashy sakuga moments you'd find on that one website or people would post everywhere... (as evidenced by the fact that I've yet to see a single Dennou Coil gif being posted anywhere).

However, I was constantly thinking "man, all these different effects really look kinda great, consistently." Or the lack of ugly cheeky mouths, weirdly contorted characters during motion or when they're far away. Lighting is fantastic, too. And just the overall quality of motion... those Sacchis for instance with their malleable bodies are the best thing ever.

edit:
Javac, only one way. Watch it yourself! Production values aren't even the primary reason to recommend this show. It's genuinely great.

Jarmel

Banned
Quite frankly I think Hyouka is by far a better looking show than Dennou Coil. I just wasn't impressed with the visuals other than a couple of episodes in the middle.

JulianImp

Well, you've been warned about the S2 OVAs so proceed at your own risk.

I didn't get to watch the S1 OVAs as they weren't on Crunchy (which is why I didn't get what was going on with S2E1), so I don't think I'll be watching the S2 OVAs either.

Kyousuke getting little to no character development throughout the series is also a bit of a letdown. I like that, at least so far, all he does for his sister isn't because he's actually infatuated with her or anything (I hope...), but then again he appears to be little more than just yet another Kyon.

Ayase's idol friend who cosplayed as Meruru actually being like a mentor figure for Sayori was a nice touch, but every bit of characterization that is given to the rest of the cast makes Kirino and Kyousuke's lack of character development stand out even more (outside of getting along better at a glacial pace).

So far, my thoughts on the cast are that Kuroneko stands out as the one that works best alongside Kyousuke, teasing him but not to the absurdly annoying point reached by Kirino; next comes Sayori, who got just a couple cameos in her "normal" life persona before getting a whole episode to herself which was kind of generic but still somewhat heartwarming. Ayase's basically only yandere for Kirino, and Manami's like Nadeko's initial moe moe personality, only without the actual twist that ended up making the latter into a compelling character. The rest of the cast doesn't even matter AFAIK (at most, all that matters is that their dad's Gendo).

Just because she isn't shooting monsters doesn't mean she isn't moving the story forward, or developing in any way. Madoka makes the same choices regardless (become a magical girl, stand against Walpurgis Night), but her motivations and reason for this change vastly throughout the course of the series.

I didn't see her as that much of character on her own, but rather as a device that influenced the other girls, most importantly Homura. The one point of character development I can see is that in the loop we got to watch she didn't take up the offer of becoming a magical girl until everybody else was way past their breaking point, and all of the other girls' sacrifices were what made her realize what she wanted to wish for.

Madoka by herself wasn't a good character IMO, but the way the other girls changed because of her was interesting, and made her character worth it in spite of her lack of direct agency.

Shergal

I think Hyouka (and Nichijou, for that matter) might be more animated than Dennou Coil, but the average quality of the movement in the latter is way better imo.
When it comes to design, layout and other visual things it's more a matter of preference I'd say.

Jarmel

Banned
I think Hyouka (and Nichijou, for that matter) might be more animated than Dennou Coil, but the average quality of the movement in the latter is way better imo.
When it comes to design, layout and other visual things it's more a matter of preference I'd say.

For raw animation I have to imagine Nichijou is king.

Even when episode 12 still hasn't aired, Kekkai Sensen still sells a lot.

1. 9,456 *9,456 Kekkai Sensen Vol.3
2. 3,518 **3,518 Kekkai Sensen Vol.3

Bones still on a roll.

I feel like Bones has been doing better as of late. I loved Space Dandy, enjoyed Noragami and Kekkai Sensen (need that damn finale already!), and while it isn't to my taste, people seemed to have liked Show by Rock.

Yeh Nichijou and Hyouka are certainly contenders and trump it in some regards no doubt. I will say that Hyouka did have some sequences with CGI elements looking a bit off (when Oreki's mind is at work). I'd argue the direction in Hyouka and at times in Nichijou is simply stronger and that does affect visuals big time.

Russ T

Banned
Kekkai Sensen (need that damn finale already!)

f'real this shit is ridic

Though I don't really care about the Big Plot of Kekkai Sensen, personally. I really really love the characters and the one-off episodes, but the plot development just felt super generic anime to me. But goddamnit it's been forever.

My favorite episode is maybe the one with the amnesia-spores burger-lovin' dude.

javac

Cool. I really enjoyed this show. Good excuse to watch it again.

I never made it past the first episode, but £30 is cheap so I might get it...and probably never watch it, I say as I look at the Blu-ray's on my shelf that I'll never watch.

Jarmel

Banned
Though even if some of it was unavoidable, for me, it still really goes overboard with melodrama in a few scenes.

The only time I felt it went overboard was with Taiga's despair eyes in episode 23 with the changing iris effect. That felt a bit forced on an animator's part. I feel like that should only be used if you see your dog die in front of you or something equivalent.

Thanks jarmel. Toradora really is one of my favourite anime

It's funny talking about Toradora and re-reading that "Anime was better some time in the past" thread because while watching the show, I feel like it would be better animated if it came out now. Mainly because of the background art as I kept wishing for it to look more like Your Lie in April.

I also wish this had been animated in HD but that's an already long ass list. I fucking hate the transition to digital.

Cornbread78

never watched baccano?

You're dead to me

Synopsis
During the early 1930s in Chicago, the transcontinental train, Flying Pussyfoot, is starting its legendary journey that will leave a trail of blood all over the country. At the same time in New York, the ambitious scientist Szilard and his unwilling aide Ennis are looking for missing bottles of the immortality elixir. In addition, a war between the mafia groups is getting worse. On board the Advena Avis, in 1711, alchemists are about to learn the price of immortality.

Based on the award-winning light novels of the same name, Baccano! follows several events that initially seem unrelated, both in time and place, but are part of a much bigger story—one of alchemy, survival and immortality. Merging these events together are the kindhearted would-be thieves, Isaac and Miria, connecting various people, all of them with their own hidden ambitions and agendas, and creating lifelong bonds and consequences for everyone involved.

Well, I haven't seen it either, but it sounds interesting...

Jarmel

Banned
I kinda wish the devil did exist so I could trade him my soul for a true HD version of Big O, Mazinger Z, Eureka 7, and TTGL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom