• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

7b5kXh0.png

mmJPgB1.png

XxtRWsC.png
Eva BD

JulianImp

I kinda wish the devil did exist so I could trade him my soul for a true HD version of Big O, Mazinger Z, Eureka 7, and TTGL.

I'd do the same for Kizumonogatari coming out in my lifetime.
Self-Kappa

Dannou Coil and Baccano do sound interesting.

Where might I be able to watch Dannou Coil? Shows I haven't heard about that some of you hold in high regards sound like safer bets than randomly scraping the bottom of the barrel for whatever I haven't seen yet (Oreimo's decent, but T-L-R...).

I'd only commend To-Love-Ru for doing something different than the generic harem where nothing happens, even if that something is lots and lots of gratuitious fanservice that forces the production staff to censor half the screen with random rays of light twice per episode at the very least.

you poor soul. you don't know what truly great anime is.

watch it dubbed to get them NEW YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHK accents
Is this a legitimate suggestion? In my experience I've had very few shows that I enjoyed in English, not because I am a purist but because it tends to sound forced. Since I don't understand Japanese, if it is forced I won't notice it lol. Is the dub on this one good?

Kekkai Sensen still hasn't finished?
It'll never finish.

They're both excellent. Baccano will likely take an episode or two to click, so stick with it if you find yourself confused by the first episode.
Yeah Baccano has always been there, and I've heard tons of great comments about it, but yeah. Dannou Coil I hadn't heard of though.

Is this a legitimate suggestion? In my experience I've had very few shows that I enjoyed in English, not because I am a purist but because it tends to sound forced. Since I don't understand Japanese, if it is forced I won't notice it lol. Is the dub on this one good?.

Yes the dub is fantastic, the different americans and nationalities are each given VAs with the respective accents.

javac

Dennou Coil is out on DVD in AUS and on Blu-ray in Japan (not English Friendly) for those wondering.
Dennou Coil - Complete Series Amaray Edition
Format: DVD
Run Time: 640 mins
Discs: 5
Audio: Japanese 2.0
Subtitle: English
Region: 4
AUD $49.95
FLmzIX6.jpg

Hyoukokun

Yeah Baccano has always been there, and I've heard tons of great comments about it, but yeah. Dannou Coil I hadn't heard of though.
Dennou Coil gets less love because it was never licensed in the US, but it's great. Well-animated, fun characters, and a really interesting setting. Outside of Rainbows End (the Vernor Vinge book), it's the only work of science fiction I've seen/read that really tackles the possibilities of augmented reality.

Looking into it now, it's kind of sad to see that the director (Mitsuo Iso) doesn't appear to have directed any other shows since then. Any idea why?

Well, I haven't seen it either, but it sounds interesting...

Avoid, unlike Narita's masterful storytelling displayed in DRRR and Stealth Symphony, Baccano feels pretty awful. Its confusing story, uninteresting and non human characters, and awkward storytelling made it pretty difficult to watch and get through. Its one of the few anime where I was still scratching my head at the ending and all episodes leading up to it as it was that confusing of an anime from start to finish. Also one will never have the complete story unless they get to the LNs.

javac

Keep in mind the OP for Eva is 35mm while the series is all 16mm. Regardless outside of episode 16 it all looks top notch.

sonicmj1

Huh. I'm stumped, genuinely so. I could go off on a tangent about this and that but I'll leave it at that. I'm out of touch with that people consider good *shrug*

Dennou Coil is the brainchild of legendary animator Mitsuo Iso, whose work you may be familiar with. He's best known for animating sequences like the Mass Production Eva battle in End of Evangelion, or the Major's duel against the spider tank at the end of Ghost in the Shell with his signature "full-limited" style. As a director, he tried to bring that level of control across the entire production, a ambitious kids show trying to envision what augmented reality technology might look like in the future.

It was critically acclaimed in Japan when it came out, but largely ignored by the public, both in Japan and among most of the anime-watching community. You don't see Iso much these days.

I should really watch it!

javac

Dennou Coil is the brainchild of legendary animator Mitsuo Iso, whose work you may be familiar with. He's best known for animating sequences like the Mass Production Eva battle in End of Evangelion, or the Major's duel against the spider tank at the end of Ghost in the Shell with his signature "full-limited" style. As a director, he tried to bring that level of control across the entire production, a ambitious kids show trying to envision what augmented reality technology might look like in the future.

It was critically acclaimed in Japan when it came out, but largely ignored by the public, both in Japan and among most of the anime-watching community. You don't see Iso much these days.

I should really watch it!

Oh I know all about Coil and Iso, I thought that the discussion was about Toradora. I'm confused :/

Overlord Episode 8

I looked, and there before me was a pale hamster. Its rider was named Momon.

Good episode, ends way too soon though. This show feels like its paced for 2 cours. I'm hoping we'll get two, but I think it was confirmed for 13.

Hyoukokun

Avoid, unlike Narita's masterful storytelling displayed in DRRR and Stealth Symphony, Baccano feels pretty awful. Its confusing story, uninteresting and non human characters, and awkward storytelling made it pretty difficult to watch and get through. Its one of the few anime where I was still scratching my head at the ending and all episodes leading up to it as it was that confusing of a manga from start to finish. Also one will never have the complete story unless they get to the LNs.
Baccano is one show where I was perfectly satisfied with the ending we got, even knowing that there's more material that could potentially be adapted. Delving into why would be spoiler-y, though.

I don't feel that the story was overly confusing past the first episode, and the structure of the first episode is a pretty clever framing device in retrospect. The show reveals things in a non-linear fashion as it jumps back and forth through a few different time periods, but it's hardly at Primer levels of complexity.

(Also, I know that not everybody loves Isaac and Miria and their wacky hijinks, but most people who've seen the show do enjoy the hell out of them.)

Overlord 8

SO MANY SKELETONS

SO MUCH CALCIUM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
mRJAOOV.gif

As to the episode itself, it was eh. Next episode might be hype. Onii-sama I think I may have found my new lord and savior. Forgive me.

JulianImp

Oh I know all about Coil and Iso, I thought that the discussion was about Toradora. I'm confused :/

As a word of advice, I think you'd better not be too self-conscious around here. I just searched your username while posting this, and the post you might've made about Toradora doesn't even show up in the "latest posts" list; chances are others aren't even talking about it anymore (a was the case).

I'd rather have some heated debates (even if they include some posts simply bashing a series) than a never-ending list of "I watched Ep X of show Y" posts (like those I write myself at times).

JulianImp

I'd pretend to care about BDs if only there was a reliable way to get them in my country. As it is, places still stock more DVDs than BDs (since the general population doesn't even have BD players), and importing stuff from overseas is both hard and expensive.

The irony is that all this happens with BDs, which unified several regions and is actually the first time when I could potentially own and play US and JP discs on the same disc drive.

If you excuse me, I'll go hug my JP/ES Cowboy Bebop DVDs in a corner as I cry myself to sleep.

Edit: While we're still talking about Eva, I got the remake movies in my region only to realize that the subs had grammar, capitalization and punctuation errors, and that was only in the first few minutes of the first movie (which I dropped since I had just finished watching the TV series, so the plot was way too fresh in my mind to see the same things all over again).

javac

I don't even know what's going on any more, but I like it. I could explain myself but eh, like NaDannMaGoGo said, give me some of that Eva smoke. *inhales*

Cornbread78

As a word of advice, I think you'd better not be too self-conscious around here. I just searched your username while posting this, and the post you might've made about Toradora doesn't even show up in the "latest posts" list; chances are others aren't even talking about it anymore (a was the case).

I'd rather have some heated debates (even if they include some posts simply bashing a series) than a never-ending list of "I watched Ep X of show Y" posts (like those I write myself at times).

So, how about we talk about how great SAO, Angel Beats and Little Busters are!

I might watch little Busters again, just for the feels, since it would all make sense a second time through, lol.

As much as I love the medium, and as frowned as it may be by some members here, I just can't afford to spend so much money on BDs/DVDs that I will only watch once and never revisit, yes because I never rewatch stuff. I prefer to watch my stuff digitally through a computer/tablet/phone. I understand that there are collectors though, but gaming already takes a toll in my wallet.

I do feel like I need to revisit Eva though. I watched that in Spanish and I was still a child back then. Yeah, it was on TV during cartoon time for kids. All uncensored. Why? Because we Europeans are crazy. LOL.

JulianImp

So, how about we talk about how great SAO, Angel Beats and Little Busters are!

I might watch little Busters again, just for the feels, since it would all make sense a second time through, lol.

Do the other two have many things in common to SAO? I'm asking this since I know our thoughts on that show are like night and day, so I'd rather not get into more things like it.

As much as I love the medium, and as frowned as it may be by some members here, I just can't afford to spend so much money on BDs/DVDs that I will only watch once and never revisit, yes because I never rewatch stuff. I prefer to watch my stuff digitally through a computer/tablet/phone. I understand that there are collectors though, but gaming already takes a toll in my wallet.

I do feel like I need to revisit Eva though. I watched that in Spanish and I was still a child back then. Yeah, it was on TV during cartoon time for kids. All uncensored. Why? Because we Europeans are crazy. LOL.

I mean I've only bought my favorite shows and films on blu ray

After I buy the Amazon Ghibli collection I think that's it for me, except for FZ. But Fate Zero isn't necessary to buy because it's always on a streaming service.

javac

If anyone is wondering what the mix up was, I saw this comment and didn't realize that it was two different conversations. Link. Amateur mistake but my attention was elsewhere.

So I wrote this haphazardly while ogling Eva BD screens and having my mind blown "Wait, Toradora is actually some renowned anime? Huh...OH LOOK AT THAT! UNCOMPRESSED EVA BD SCREENS!" . I would say my mistake, but its such a minor thing I don't know why I'd apologize for heh. My reputation around here is equivalent to a toilet so whats one more clumsy stumble. The great Dennou Coil debacle of 2015.

Not sure I get JulianImp's comment in regards to searching my name and such, but that's fine too.

JulianImp

I just squealed at a Kuroneko scene. Seriously, what's wrong with me.

Not sure I get JulianImp's comment in regards to searching my name and such, but that's fine too.

I did a Ctrl-F search for your username to see if the last couple posts had anything to do with Toradora, and I got nothing (or I searched wrong).

Cornbread78

Do the other two have many things in common to SAO? I'm asking this since I know our thoughts on that show are like night and day, so I'd rather not get into more things like it.

No, not at all, lol.

Little Busters and Angel Beats are both Key anime series, so they already have built in haters, but they are amazing experiences. No Kirigod, no rape shit, just lots of drama and feels.

Little Busters is long has a lot of drama at times, it fuck with your head a lot, until the plot finally comes out and it all kicks you in the ass towards the end. Great stuff.

Angel Beats is a lot of fun has some feels, some action, and a great story. The biggest complaint with Angel Beats deals with the main ship happening waaaay too late and lacked depth. Still really good though.

Sölf

Avoid, unlike Narita's masterful storytelling displayed in DRRR and Stealth Symphony, Baccano feels pretty awful. Its confusing story, uninteresting and non human characters, and awkward storytelling made it pretty difficult to watch and get through. Its one of the few anime where I was still scratching my head at the ending and all episodes leading up to it as it was that confusing of an anime from start to finish. Also one will never have the complete story unless they get to the LNs.

Wat. You missspelled "It's a great show everyone should watch", I think.

Cornbread78

If anyone is wondering what the mix up was, I saw this comment and didn't realize that it was two different conversations. Link. Amateur mistake but my attention was elsewhere.

So I wrote this haphazardly while ogling Eva BD screens and having my mind blown "Wait, Toradora is actually some renowned anime? Huh...OH LOOK AT THAT! UNCOMPRESSED EVA BD SCREENS!" . I would say my mistake, but its such a minor thing I don't know why I'd apologize for heh. My reputation around here is equivalent to a toilet so whats one more clumsy stumble. The great Dennou Coil debacle of 2015.

I just squealed at a Kuroneko scene. Seriously, what's wrong with me.

I did a Ctrl-F search for your username to see if the last couple posts had anything to do with Toradora, and I got nothing (or I searched wrong).

Lol, you fools are killing me here. Toradora was pretty damn good and the ending has grown on me (I was initially irrationally pissed about it, lol) The Eva stuff looks nice, but I'll have to watch it before I can pass judgment, lol.

Get it, got it, good.

Cease and decist all the confusion and bask in the glory of your favorite anime sucks.

JulianImp

Looks like I've finally gone past the line that shouldn't be crossed... God damn it, Oreimo, I don't care about your kimoi brotherly love subplot, but you've somehow managed to make Kuroneko into mai waifu.

@Cornbread: I'm a sucker for character dramas so I liked Toradora quite a bit, just not on the level of other shows.

Cornbread78

Monster Musume ep.8
Ok, so I admit it, Rach was pretty good in this episode. Her personality is a little different than I expected, but damn, is she straight forward or what, lol. The bedroom scene was pretty funny, then all the stuff with Suu; lots of "happenings"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom