• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

Patlabor 33

Dramatic rice eating.

g9JOFIr.png

W8dj08c.png

VqKyGE4.png

5Yg7dRV.png

javac

Of course there's a gif of this...

One thing I noticed as I was screenshotting those was that they animated that little grain of rice moving with her tongue. I don't know why, but I started cracking up at that.

How you finding the show? Amazing, right? You enjoying the Griffon arc?

Droplet

How you finding the show? Amazing, right? You enjoying the Griffon arc?

I actually just resumed it since I went home shortly after I asked about it. I'm starting school again tomorrow so I figure I'll just make it my dinner anime for the next couple weeks.

I'm finding the Griffon arc a lot more enjoyable when Bud speaks less. Utsumi makes for a fun antagonist, and I get the feeling his childish but sinister nature is supposed to contrast against Bud's actual innocence, but I just can't help grimacing every time Bud shows up on screen. Other than that, on the protagonist side, I'm glad Kanuka's come back, she makes for a great counterpart to Noa. Asuma being out of commission does make me quite sad though, I was really enjoying the way their relationship was building.

Monster Musume ep.8
Ok, so I admit it, Rachel was pretty good in this episode. Her personality is a little different than I expected, but damn, is she straight forward or what, lol. The bedroom scene was pretty funny, then all the stuff with Suu; lots of "happenings"

ur killin me

Monmusu needs an Onsen episode soon. It got colour pages in the manga. Rachnee looks cute there too.

They won't get that far

javac

I actually just resumed it since I went home shortly after I asked about it. I'm starting school again tomorrow so I figure I'll just make it my dinner anime for the next couple weeks.

I'm finding the Griffon arc a lot more enjoyable when Bud speaks less. Utsumi makes for a fun antagonist, and I get the feeling his childish but sinister nature is supposed to contrast against Bud's actual innocence, but I just can't help grimacing every time Bud shows up on screen. Other than that, on the protagonist side, I'm glad Kanuka's come back, she makes for a great counterpart to Noa. Asuma being out of commission does make me quite sad though, I was really enjoying the way their relationship was building.
That's awesome, I'm glad that you're enjoying it, I never had an issue with Bud myself. In any case, savor the rest of the series, you can only watch Patlabor for the first time once :p

Well said.

Simon is the worst protagonist in anime, and Shinji is great.
Agreed.

Eva never comes out looking good in that comparison.

Eva should be compared more with things on its level, like Dashboard Confessional albums.

And Kirito > Shinji. It's not even close.

Well said.

Shinji is the worst protagonist in anime, and Simon is great.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Let's not get crazy here!

I like Simon waaaaay more than I like Shinji. But Shinji was still a fantastic character.

You can hate TTGL all you want. Doesn't change the fact that Simon still had a good character arc with proper pacing and a decent beginning, middle, and end.

You can hate Shinji and Simon for their attitudes all you like. Both of them are still great characters in great shows.

javac

You guys are insane.

Oh wait I see what Javac did. Dunno why people even bother to compare Eva and TTGL.

Because there can only be one!

I have no idea either, I guess its the same as when people say X show killed anime, they want to place the blame onto a single show / character as a justification, and thus Shinji is the poster-boy for what people consider to be a bad character, when he really isn't. FF 7 killed JRPG! Eva killed anime! Trigger will save anime! Best girl! Worst Boy! In the end, you can judge a character or show both positively or negatively based on its merits, and it makes sense to compare examples that are of a similar nature, but when the two shows (Eva and Lagann) are polar opposites at what they set out to accomplish, comparing the two leads makes no sense.

javac

Shinji is a fantastic character because he's a terrible person.

But he isn't a terrible person, at all. He's a 14 year old boy who's put into a position that truth be told, nobody would be able to cope with.Not me, not you, not anybody. In fact I'd say that he's a normal teenager, a nice kid who keeps himself locked up because he's afraid of getting hurt, but in doing so hurts those around him. It's a really tragic show, and I saw a lot of myself in Shinji when I watched it all those years ago. You care so much that you lock yourself away, and in doing so come across to those that love as somebody who doesn't care at all, cold and distant. Even his fathers reactions in EoE break my heart. And yes, I know somebody is going to mention that EoE scene.

blurr

Do you really need to do that? At least from what I looked up, S2E1 goes right after the last S1 OVA (where Kuroneko
kisses Kyousuke on the cheek
). The show's actually pretty decent and surprised me in a good way, since I wasn't expecting much from what I had heard about Oreimo on the comments here.

Yes, the VN takes place right after the first season of the show. A friend of mine played it (only one half was translated AFAIK), said it's pretty good.

But he isn't a terrible person, at all. He's a 14 year old boy who's put into a position that truth be told, nobody would be able to cope with.Not me, not you, not anybody. In fact I'd say that he's a normal teenager, a nice kid who keeps himself locked up because he's afraid of getting hurt, but in doing so hurts those around him. It's a really tragic show, and I saw a lot of myself in Shinji when I watched it all those years ago. You care so much that you lock yourself away, and in doing so come across to those that love as somebody who doesn't care at all, cold and distant. Even his fathers reactions in EoE break my heart. And yes, I know somebody is going to mention that EoE scene.

Perhaps, I didn't word that the I meant. I didn't mean Shinji was a terrible person in terms of morality.

I meant he's an empty person because of the years of abuse and neglect he's suffered from. He's a person who can barely do anything because he has no idea who he is, or what he wants in life. Does he really want his father's affection? Does he want the affection of friends, or potential lovers? Shinji can't seem to decide.

javac

Might be just me, but I find Shinji realistic. Dude had a crappy life and no one was really helping him out.

The idea was, everybody was dealing with their own skeletons that they had in their closet. Everyone got the short end of the stick. Shinji wanted to be helped so much that he forgot to console those closest to him either. Does that make him a bad person? I don't think so.

Might be just me, but I find Shinji realistic. Dude had a crappy life and no one was really helping him out.

He acts reasonably for a kid piloting a gigantic flesh monster that is also his mom and hurts you when you pilot it in nebulous breathable liquid that's probably angel blood

javac

He acts reasonably for a kid piloting a gigantic flesh monster that is also his mom and hurts you when you pilot it in nebulous breathable liquid that's probably angel blood

I know that you're trying to be funny, but Shinji in the end acts as a person who is depressed and self loathing would, regardless of giant robots or otherwise, I would know. Most series would do better to match a characterization of Evangelion.

I enjoyed Shinji for how human he felt like in comparison to most anime protagonists I've seen. I can definitely understand why he's considered to be a great character.

That doesn't mean I enjoy Simon any less in TTGL. His character arc is still one of my favourites in my favourite show of all time. I still value TTGL over Evangelion for it being so upbeat and awesome.

Mailbox

I've heard a bunch of people say that Shinji is "the worst character in anime", but its always for the same reasons, and those reasons always seem to ignore the entire point of shinji.

Its perfectly ok to not like him, but he's done very well and is a good character. It's like people just don't get the use of Hedgehog's Dilemma in the character at all :/

Droplet

All this Eva (Shinji) talk is reminding me that I've never got around to watching NGE. Really got to get on that at some point.

Do it! I only watched it and the other movies recently, but I might be in the minority that loved the series and its original ending more than anything else from the franchise.

And to add fuel to the fire, it could be due to my gender but I didn't find Simon very interesting or particularly inspiring. It felt more like he was this ideal of "growing a pair" into masculinity which understandably wouldn't resonate with me much. On the other hand, I found Shinji to at least be understandable even if he seemed annoying, but as the series went on, I started to relate to him as his psyche seemed to mirror my own at the time. He was a strong point in a series that started off up in its own ass in bible references and obvious metaphors.

Mailbox

Do it! I only watched it and the other movies recently, but I might be in the minority that loved the series and its original ending more than anything else from the franchise.

And to add fuel to the fire, it could be due to my gender but I didn't find Simon very interesting or particularly inspiring. It felt more like he was this ideal of "growing a pair" into masculinity which understandably wouldn't resonate with me much. On the other hand, I found Shinji to at least be understandable even if he seemed annoying, but as the series went on, I started to relate to him as his psyche seemed to mirror my own at the time. He was a strong point in a series that started off up in its own ass in bible references and obvious metaphors.

I think the original ending would have been better if
Shinji stayed in the alt world where everything is perfect and had to live with the guilt.
Although the original ending and EOE combined is pretty good.

javac

I didn't read Simon there for a second and was confused lol. I never found Shinji annoying, because doing so would be like saying people who are depressed and confused are annoying, or more accurately, it would admitting that I find myself annoying. I guess people have to pick themselves up and stand on their own two feet. I guess the people who find him to be annoying may find that they identify with Misato and Asuka more. People who also have scars but hide them and put on a mask in front of their peers, choosing not to be seen in such a state and thus find people like Shinji to be annoying in that "I get it, we all have problems, but sitting around won't accomplish anything" way. Some people have too much pride. I guess everyone deals with depression, pain and love in a different manner. The closer you get, the more you open yourself up, but that pain and heartbreak may also be something to treasure. Is it better to have loved and to have lost than to have never loved at all?

ibyea

Banned
I honestly don't get the hate for Shinji. He is a well constructed character. Furthermore nobody would react well through the situation he is put through. Nobody.

Oh and the disturbing connection with people's attitude on Shinji and the stigma mental illness sufferers get has crossed my mind too.

Droplet

I didn't read Simon there for a second and was confused lol. I never found Shinji annoying, because doing so would be like saying people who are depressed and confused are annoying, or more accurately, it would admitting that I find myself annoying. I guess people have to pick themselves up and stand on their own two feet. I guess the people who find him to be annoying may find that they identify with Misato and Asuka more. People who also have scars but hide them and put on a mask in front of their peers, choosing not to be seen in such a state and thus find people like Shinji to be annoying in that "I get it, we all have problems, but sitting around won't accomplish anything" way. Some people have too much pride. I guess everyone deals with depression, pain and love in a different manner. The closer you get, the more you open yourself up, but that pain and heartbreak may also be something to treasure. Is it better to have loved and to have lost than to have never loved at all?

Shinji's mental state was disturbingly close to mine at the time I was watching it. The thing is, the message of "it's okay to be as you are" was inspiring to me because I interpreted it as "it's okay to be the person you are", not "it's okay to be a mess of a person and not function properly". I only realized way after I'd watched EoE and the other movies that I'd just completely misinterpreted it because I wanted to get some joy out of it. I didn't want to be told that if I stayed in bed all the time that I was just being a shitty human being and I would have to live with the consequences in the future. I wanted to be told that it was okay and that things could change, because the person I was who became depressed wasn't wrong.

Now that I've stepped back, I don't know, but I'm glad that I interpreted the way I did at the time.

ibyea

Banned
I've heard a bunch of people say that Shinji is "the worst character in anime", but its always for the same reasons, and those reasons always seem to ignore the entire point of shinji.

Its perfectly ok to not like him, but he's done very well and is a good character. It's like people just don't get the use of Hedgehog's Dilemma in the character at all :/

Ironically, that audience reaction is the perfect example of humans not understanding each other part that causes hedgehog's dilemma.

ibyea

Banned
Shinji's mental state was disturbingly close to mine at the time I was watching it. The thing is, the message of "it's okay to be as you are" was inspiring to me because I interpreted it as "it's okay to be the person you are", not "it's okay to be a mess of a person and not function properly". I only realized way after I'd watched EoE and the other movies that I'd just completely misinterpreted it because I wanted to get some joy out of it. I didn't want to be told that if I stayed in bed all the time that I was just being a shitty human being and I would have to live with the consequences in the future. I wanted to be told that it was okay and that things could change, because the person I was who became depressed wasn't wrong.

Now that I've stepped back, I don't know, but I'm glad that I interpreted the way I did at the time.

Well, the show and the movie have way different messaging sort to speak. As dark as the show is, it ends optimistically while the movie is pretty much peak humanity sucks.

ibyea

Banned
So you would hangout with a loser rather than someone else?

So your definition of loser is someone who doesn't handle well the fact that he has to control a giant mecha that allows you to feel the damage the mecha suffers in a life or death battle, has to deal with an abusive father, and is suffering from mental illness? Furthermore as much as he tries to avoid because of how horrible it is to control the mechas, when it counts he comes through. He does more than I would personally ever be capable of handling. And after a while he becomes a good pilot.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
For a 14 y.o, Shinji sure have a lot of shit thrown at him. So yeah, give him a break. Most kid will probably do worst than Shinji.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom