• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cindy Girls 04 & 05

Callback to Idolm@ster S1 EP1. Still not sure how I feel about that episode. Jealousy abound and Daisuki.net finally fixed the Russian subs.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Irrespective of whether Shinji is a "loser" or not, to be a good fictional character you don't have to be someone you'd like to personally be friends with in real life.
Well hes not a loser per se but more of a person with a terrible personality
and who made a few vile decisions
. But if it were about picking characters based on if you could hang out, akihiko from Persona would come to mind.

Shergal

I feel like people care too much about the giant robot setting when they talk about EVA characters. I don't think Anno would've changed Shinji's characterization if he was doing a real-life drama, that was the type of character he wanted to make (or the one he had in him) at the time. It's all about the interactions and in the case of Shinji, his own introspection, this is why 25+26 don't need the setting to make their points.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are you telling me you're not gay for Akihiko, TUSR?

javac

Shinji's mental state was disturbingly close to mine at the time I was watching it. The thing is, the message of "it's okay to be as you are" was inspiring to me because I interpreted it as "it's okay to be the person you are", not "it's okay to be a mess of a person and not function properly". I only realized way after I'd watched EoE and the other movies that I'd just completely misinterpreted it because I wanted to get some joy out of it. I didn't want to be told that if I stayed in bed all the time that I was just being a shitty human being and I would have to live with the consequences in the future. I wanted to be told that it was okay and that things could change, because the person I was who became depressed wasn't wrong.

Now that I've stepped back, I don't know, but I'm glad that I interpreted the way I did at the time.
I don't know if you necessarily interpreted it wrong. For me, the ultimate message from Evangelion is how it's okay to feel pain, it's a part of life and it's impossible to avoid. People make mistakes, but so long as you exist, not only can you change, but you can learn more about yourself and those around you. You are you because of all the choices that you made, because of everything, it accumulated into who you are today and you do have to accept those choices that you've made. I guess that's life, finding the answers to your questions, why do you exist and what is your purpose. I feel that it's all visually represented in the end of EOE, as that is the whole point of them turning into LCL, that without a form, Shinji is indistinguishable, he has no beginning and no end, and thus has no meaning. He doesn't exist. Sure he can't be hurt, but he also can't be loved, hated, acknowledged, appreciated.

In the end, its better to feel pain than not feel anything at all, and that running away in fact hurts yourself and those closest to you more than anything, but you can choose to run away if you so desire as long as you realize that it is your own doing and that you chose to do so. Even in the case of Gendo, he himself closed himself off from Shinji because he felt that he didn't deserve to be loved and thus pushed his Son away, it drives home the idea that, in the end, everybody is the same and that we all feel the same emotions. So as long as you continue to exist, you have the chance to change and find your own happiness.

It's 7am so excuse my ramble. I haven't seen Eva and EOE in 5 years hah.

"It will be alright. All lifeforms have the power to restore themselves and the wish to live. If you decide to live, anywhere can be heaven, because you're alive. There will be chances to be happy everywhere. As long as the Sun, Moon and Earth exist...it will be alright"
---
"I still don't know where to find happiness. But I'll continue to think about whether it's good to be here...whether it was good to have been born. But in the end, it's just realizing the obvious over and over again. Because I am myself."

kewlmyc

Are you telling me you're not gay for Akihiko, TUSR?

"Did you see that, Shinji?"

ive been waiting for this

I never though the day would come where I would have a reason to post this.

8Oq5zUr.png

ibyea

Banned
How the shit is rokka gonna only be 12 episodes. Lemme guess the Big Bad is conviently among them.

I heard it's an adaptation of another material. So it's not gonna finish the material, and when the show finishes, you will have to obtain the rest of the story from there.

Shimoneta 1-8

Marathoned this today out of boredom and goddam this series is pretty funny. I have some annoyances about it much like every anime that has ever existed involving romance or sexuality (pervy girl gets shy around actual sexuality, main character is deathly afraid of pussy, etc) but it's made up for by a lot of the humor and a surprising amount of pushing the envelope for an anime. Anna is far and away the best character and I think I fucking HURT myself laughing when she bit off his zipper, came on his face and spit the zipper out while walking away with Goriki. Like holy shit, I know she's gone full yandere at this point in time but she's so fucking awesome. Dude just needs to explain sex to her then bone until sun up. Knife gaming Kusari when she found them at his house together was a riot too. Fuwa is also 2nd best.

Anime is super enjoyable. Good humor and silliness and Anna's antics are fantastic.

Mailbox

Shimoneta 1-8

Marathoned this today out of boredom and goddam this series is pretty funny. I have some annoyances about it much like every anime that has ever existed involving romance or sexuality (pervy girl gets shy around actual sexuality, main character is deathly afraid of pussy, etc) but it's made up for by a lot of the humor and a surprising amount of pushing the envelope for an anime. Anna is far and away the best character and I think I fucking HURT myself laughing when she bit off his zipper, came on his face and spit the zipper out while walking away with Goriki. Like holy shit, I know she's gone full yandere at this point in time but she's so fucking awesome. Dude just needs to explain sex to her then bone until sun up. Knife gaming Kusari when she found them at his house together was a riot too. Fuwa is also 2nd best.

Anime is super enjoyable. Good humor and silliness and Anna's antics are fantastic.

This actually might be one of the only anime where the bolded is actually done well.

specifically in the early episodes there's some really well done symbolism and creativity around the subject (there were a bunch of post way earlier in the thread about the panty positioning (along with its condition) and intentions of the both Anna and Ayame.

as for Okuma, he's never really shown as "afraid of pussy", rather he just doesn't wanna get raped despite everyone around him seemingly being ok with it (or encouraging it).

Its normal to miss that kinda stuff when you rush through it though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I finally sat my ass down and crunched all the votes for the Top Anime OST voting stuff from awhile back. Enormous pain in the ass, god damn. I pity the person who has to do the tallying for when we vote on the shows themselves. I had over 150 separate shows as it is.

Anyway here:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=176573552#post176573552

Now you know why I only did it for that one year and was happy to pass the buck. The nicknames for shows was the worst. Even after double checking everything I still got caught out by one nickname.

Cornbread78

So I finally sat my ass down and crunched all the votes for the Top Anime OST voting stuff from awhile back. Enormous pain in the ass, god damn. I pity the person who has to do the tallying for when we vote on the shows themselves. I had over 150 separate shows as it is.

Anyway here:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=176573552#post176573552

Now you know why I only did it for that one year and was happy to pass the buck. The nicknames for shows was the worst. Even after double checking everything I still got caught out by one nickname.

When I finished up the "Romance Anime" voting yesterday, I had to spreadsheet everything in Excel and break down/correct all the votes, lol.

It was a pain, but it all worked out in the end. Well, it was a one shot deal either way, so I don't need to worry about doing the other two, lol.

Hey guys

Quick update

Thanks for the Fate Zero recommendation! Loving it so far. Definitely slogs at the start but just keeps getting better and better. Im about half way through so Ill pass my impressions off when I get a chance

Gbraga

I didn't know Baccano was available in blu-ray :O

I need it now. Also need to give Dennou Coil another try.

And Jin-Roh still looks so beautiful, I need to rewatch it some time. Its art style is so captivating.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sore ga Seiyuu 4-5
It's like Shirobako, but with more focus on seiyuu. I don't know what to say other than it cover various aspect of seiyuu. No dark side of seiyuu yet aka doing Eroge work. They do at least touch that newbie seiyuu payment is small and they need to do part time job if they're not regular...

Personally I appreciate the character of shinji and realistically yes a kid with as many issues as he has would act like this. But similarly the kid from Mirai Nikki cries all day, deservedly so, and I ain't watching that shit again.

TheRancor

I kinda wish the devil did exist so I could trade him my soul for a true HD version of Big O, Mazinger Z, Eureka 7, and TTGL.
Big O Season 1 was clearly done on film, sadly the Bluray for that is an upscale from the DVDs or something, don't know what's up with that.

For TTGL, at least it was recomposited to 720p, which is an extremely rare thing for digital anime as you might know.

kewlmyc

I didn't know Baccano was available in blu-ray :O

I need it now. Also need to give Dennou Coil another try.

And Jin-Roh still looks so beautiful, I need to rewatch it some time. Its art style is so captivating.

Admittedly, the Baccano Bluray quality is quite crap. It's just an upscale from 480p.

Jarmel

Banned
Big O Season 1 was clearly done on film, sadly the Bluray for that is an upscale from the DVDs or something, don't know what's up with that.

For TTGL, at least it was recomposited to 720p, which is an extremely rare thing for digital anime as you might know.

The first season was done on film and the second season was digital. However when they released the blurays, they just upscaled both seasons as it was deemed too expensive to create new masters.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sore ga Seiyuu 6-7
That feel when your character got taken by other seiyuu...
Also, i didn't know that kiss scene is also dubbed in dubbing. Seeing guy/girl sucking his/her finger to mimic kissing scene...kinda hot...

blurr

Sore ga Seiyuu 6-7
That feel when your character got taken by other seiyuu...
Also, i didn't know that kiss scene is also dubbed in dubbing. Seeing guy/girl sucking his/her finger to mimic kissing scene...kinda hot...

I like how they handled her frustration really well when her friend got her dream role. Some good quotes that episode: "The audience don't care about it"

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I like how they handled her frustration really well when her friend got her dream role. Some good quotes that episode: "The audience don't care about it"

Yup. Those who manage to stay a seiyuu for a long time is a trooper. Mad respect to them.

JulianImp

Joining on the conversation about Shinji, I agree that he is a good character even if he isn't someone you'd want to be. This goes back to the previous discussion about whether all anime is supposed to be entertainment/fun (regardless of the discussion of what the meaning of entertainment is), and how it obviously doesn't have to.

Not all fiction has to be wish fulfillment, not all characters are meant to be awesome guys you'd want to hang out with. Welcome to the NHK's MC is another example of a character that isn't "fun" at all, because what I got from the show was that it didn't just want to entertain the audience as much as it wanted to show us the life and struggles of a stylized and somewhat caricaturized version of a hikkikomori.

Shinji's similar in that Eva isn't a show meant to have you praise the giant robot and their pilots as they obliterate wave after wave of bizarre angels. It was a deconstruction of the genre, which meant exploring a harsher vision of the generic humungous mecha shows. The mechas weren't just awesome gadgets, the team was made up of flawed humans which all had their own issues that they struggled to sort out, and the MC had no backbone because he was constantly being treated that way (either by being ignored by his father, talked down to by Asuka or pampered like a little boy by Misato).

The EVA pilot crew had among its ranks a girl who began belittling others weaker than her as a way to cope with how her mother commited suicide alongside a doll believing that it was her daughter, another girl who realized that her actual self was interchangeable and that each of her clones weren't worth a damn, on top of merely being a tool created with the sole purpose of fulfilling Gendo's wishes; and then there's Shinji, who only got called as an EVA pilot candidate because he was the most likely to synchronize with EVA-01, which had his own mother as part of it. Shinji keeps trying his best to appeal to his dad, but all Gendo has in sight is being able to recover his lost love, and doesn't give a damn about using NERV, his own son and countless clones of his dead wife to achieve his goal. Shinji also gets to experience how everybody else around him starts showing their true selves through cracks in their façades and eventually break down in horrible ways, which would certainly end up affecting someone with low self-esteem in disastrous ways.

Honestly, I liked Eva's message in the later episodes about how everybody wears a mask and how neither what we see in ourselves and how others see us is a complete image, as the mental picture of who we are is based on perception which is fundamentally flawed. It also managed to avoid the cop-out of "why don't they just talk their problems out?", since many of the flaws characters had were quite complicated, meaning that they couldn't just open up to their friends and colleagues (remember that none of them had close family at all... Shinji had Gendo, but he was an absent father the whole time).

Jarmel

Banned
If we had more characters like Shinji, anime would be a better industry. Not necessarily a more entertaining one but certainly a better one.

fertygo

If we had more characters like Shinji, anime would be a better industry. Not necessarily a more entertaining one but certainly a better one.

"Shinji-like" character is one of most popular archetype in the medium though?

But of course the character or the show quality is less than what EVA bring.

Jarmel

Banned
"Shinji-like" character is one of most popular archetype in the medium though?

But of course the character or the show quality is less than what EVA bring.

I would say it's a well known archetype that might pop up but I certainly wouldn't say it's popular, especially nowadays.

phaze

Hey guys

Quick update

Thanks for the Fate Zero recommendation! Loving it so far. Definitely slogs at the start but just keeps getting better and better. Im about half way through so Ill pass my impressions off when I get a chance

Duuuudedde

Fate Zero Episode 11 might be one of the best things Ive ever seen

Soo Good

It hasn't even begun. ;P

Personally I appreciate the character of shinji and realistically yes a kid with as many issues as he has would act like this. But similarly the kid from Mirai Nikki cries all day, deservedly so, and I ain't watching that shit again.

Oh God, he was the worst and I dread having to deal with him on my next attempt to get through Mirai Nikki.
Told ya. I was forced to watch the series at gunpoint by Phaze, but I'm glad I did in the end, lol.

I have no recollection of this. I was only gently nudging you to watch a good show in order to atone for the sin of recommending School Days. ^_^

There's plenty Shinji-like characters that suck because they simply aren't as well written and/or included in a lacking anime to begin with. Ayato from RahXephon comes to mind...or *ducks* Renton from E7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom