• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

That happens all the time in all media, with people thinking that the element that made [work X] sell so well was a single character, theme or element rather than the sum of its parts. Hence how we're still getting generic Rei expies that keep the overly cold personality with none of the background that actually explained why Rei acted the way she did.

I think something similar happened with SAO heralding the return of anime adaptations of works that focused on MMOs (and also power fantasies turned up to eleven) despite not even being the first to do so, or the way moe and slice of life got a huge boost from shows such as K-On!, or how we're still getting generic harem shows that play their tropes completely straight (such as Nisekoi... yuck) rather than poking fun at or playing around all the elements that have already been overused way too much in harem shows (that's why I commend TLR Darkness for offering something slightly different, even if it only amounts to copious fanservice and censored shots... S1 was a pain to watch and I didn't even feel like watching it all).

Jarmel

Banned
There's plenty Shinji-like characters that suck because they simply aren't as well written and/or included in a lacking anime to begin with. Ayato from RahXephon comes to mind...or *ducks* Renton from E7.

Renton isn't Shinji or even tries to be. He's much more in line with a Gundam protagonist or a general super robot pilot.

Neither of those characters are really Shinji-like, especially Renton.

Dunno, there were plenty times when he was angsty and questioning his drive to do anything.

However, it wasn't very consistent and his continuously contradicting characterization played a large factor in my dislike for him.

Gvitor

Duuuudedde

Fate Zero Episode 11 might be one of the best things Ive ever seen

Soo Good

Getting closer to the "season finale". Season 2 is way better, imo. Have you watched Fate/Stay Night before this? Going in blind is better, as FSN kinda spoils some stuff.

Actually, no matter what show you watch first, you'll be spoiled about stuff in the other, but it's better not to be spoiled about Fate/Zero, since it's the better series. It's one of the few series (of any media) I recommend watching in the cronological order, instead of release order.

Jarmel

Banned
Dunno, there were plenty times when he was angsty and questioning his drive to do anything.

However, it wasn't very consistent and his continuously contradicting characterization played a large factor in my dislike for him.

tumblr_mb2iecZZHR1rwg6h6o1_1280.jpg

Shinji would not be visually framed in this manner. He's much closer to someone like Simon (TTGL) than Shinji. Both of whom are influenced by Eva but take many more cues from super robot pilots of old and Gundam, for example Amuro or Kamille.

JulianImp

Oreimo S2 - Up to EP11
So it's almost over... It was kind of predictable but still a bit sad that the show went back to focusing on Kirino and Kyousuke's relationship being closer to a couple than brother and sister. I never liked how Kyousuke was always getting abuse piled up on him by his bratty sister and her yandere friend (was expecting more character development for her after even Saori and Kanako got some), when the characters that treated him more normally could've used some more screentime instead.

Kuroneko got her fair share of character development, but Manami and Saori got little to nothing done to distance them from the generic characterizations they started out with, with Manami only giving Kyousuke general advice every now and then, and Saori being just a wingman who helped keep her friends together a little bit (even though the episode devoted to her backstory was quite good IMO).

All in all, I guess the show got a bit less interesting once the cast was firmly established and everybody had accepted Kirino for who she was, since that was the main source of conflict besides her and Kyousuke's animosity, which began taking center stage more and more over time. Kuroneko's arc in S2 was good, but in the end it looks like it was only used as a device to force Kirino to accept that she didn't want Kyousuke to get a girlfriend either.

I don't think things will get fully sorted out in this final episode, but I sincerely hope that things don't end up going the KiriKyou route.
Kuroneko's where it's at.

So have a majority of you guys watched Sunday Withouth God yet? Looks like that may be the best option for the next "Let's watch" but I haven't gotten much response yet. It only aired a couple years ago, so it's better if everyone hasn't already seen it...

It was only ok. First arc was easily the best one, and subsequent arcs ranged from bad to decent.

ibyea

Banned

Angsting does not automatically make one Shinji like though. It's more of the framing when it comes to controlling the mechas, if it is like going to war and contains all the horrors of it, and the people controlling them has some major psychological issues, or whether it is like an adventure. While there are very dark moments in Eureka 7, overall it is treated more of an adventure growing up story thing.

JulianImp

So have a majority of you guys watched Sunday Withouth God yet? Looks like that may be the best option for the next "Let's watch" but I haven't gotten much response yet. It only aired a couple years ago, so it's better if everyone hasn't already seen it...

http://myanimelist.net/anime/16009/Kamisama_no_Inai_Nichiyoubi

Sounds interesting, so I guess I'm in.

Will probably watch the final episode of Oreimo S2 soon, and after that all that's left for me to do anime-wise is to catch up on a couple episodes that aired last week and I forgot to watch... oh, and maybe add Rokka.

By the way, I finally got access to my whole queue and remembered that I had watched Tasogare Otome x Amnesia on CR... it's actually a decent show that you could add to the watch-list unless it ends up being region-locked in too many places. It's a romance/supernatural show that does know when to get serious in spite of having some corny comedy at times. The build-up to the ending was nice, but the epilogue kind of screwed things up for no good discernible reason.

javac

New releases for this week (08/25/15)

Blu-ray
Fairy Tail: Part 16 [Funimation]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs (50GB), 2 DVDs)
Price: BD @ Rightstuf.com: $35.74
RKFmIiZm.jpg

Kamigami no Asobi: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
S7QA1Wfm.jpg

Vampire Hunter D [Sentai]
Run Time: 80 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Single-disc set (1 BD (50GB))
Price: BD @ Rightstuf.com: $19.49
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $12.99
jsMMgEtm.jpg

DVD
X: Anime Classics Complete Series [Funimation]
Run Time: 625 min
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (4 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $19.49
wXxZX1Hm.jpg

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions Heart Throb: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Three-disc set (3 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
5EhqP9cm.jpg

There's plenty Shinji-like characters that suck because they simply aren't as well written and/or included in a lacking anime to begin with. Ayato from RahXephon comes to mind...or *ducks* Renton from E7.

Renton's not really anything like Shinji, aside from that he can occasionally be angsty. They're pretty different characters who are pretty far apart in grand scheme of things.

Also, Renton is great.

Renton is great because he captures the naivete of being a kid, while growing into an adult, and being stuck being childlike anxiety while dealing with very adult problems.

You know, there seems to be an annoying trend in culture today, where people expect characters to always be likable. If a character becomes unlikable then it's common to hear people say that character is a poorly written character.

But some of the greatest characters of all time, not just in anime, have been unlikable in many regards.

I don't consider Guts likable, but he's a very cool and interesting character.

javac

I often find myself confronted with people who are all like "lol Evangelion, lol static scenes, lol" often citing the Shinji/Kaworu scene, especially so in the wake of the Blu-ray release...and it really makes me want to slap myself to death.

Jarmel

Banned
Pretty sure it is 1cour. Someone mentioned that yesterday.

And what about Attack on Titan or One Piece? Or is this something different

Well I would say AoT or shows like E7 AO have long form mysteries. Things that aren't going to resolved for awhile so the show does other things in the mean time and other arcs take place with the mystery put on the back burner. Here though in Rokka, the characters are actually forced to solve the mystery now.

JulianImp

Is Rokka one cour? I've never seen a show waste its entire run time on a single mystery like this.

I dropped it right at EP3 thinking it'd focus a lot more on battling the evil king or whatever. The only reason I might consider picking it back up is because of the mystery, since I was expecting them to get it over with relatively fast to get back to the generic shounen "let's battle evil" plot that was made apparent at the start of the series.

Yeah, I was gonna say. That's the whole point of the show. And that's why I, personally, am really loving it. I know there's a lot of pooh-poohing on the internet, but eh. It's good!

I don't imagine that there are many people watching Rokka and saying "I wish this was just a normal heroes band together to fight the demon lord show." Or at least I hope not.

Jarmel

Banned
It's strange to call it a waste for a show to spend time on its main conceit.

Burn, what have you. It's clear that this isn't the main goal of the show, which is to defeat the Demon God.

I dropped it right at EP3 thinking it'd focus a lot more on battling the evil king or whatever. The only reason I might consider picking it back up is because of the mystery, since I was expecting them to get it over with relatively fast to get back to the generic shounen "let's battle evil" plot that was made apparent at the start of the series.

None of that has happened.

I don't imagine that there are many people watching Rokka and saying "I wish this was just a normal heroes band together to fight the demon lord show." Or at least I hope not.

Considering how this group is a band of rogues and almost straight villains, I wouldn't mind it.

Burn, what have you. It's clear that this isn't the main goal of the show, which is to defeat the Demon God.

That isn't clear at all. The demon god is nothing more than an off-screen plot device in the show as of now. And not a very interesting one at that. The traitor element is the main hook of the narrative.

Russ T

Banned

Haha, no, not so much that, as a lot of "these characters are generic and uninteresting". I've seen enough of that to question my own judgment, but at the end of the day, I'm enjoying it, so fuck it!

Jarmel

Banned
That isn't clear at all. The demon god is nothing more than an off-screen plot device in the show as of now. And not a very interesting one at that. The traitor element is the main hook of the narrative.

Well that's because the show is focusing on that for now. They do have to get out of the jungle area at some point and unless the novels/anime are planning on having an offscreen conclusion (in that the Demon God is defeated offscreen), I imagine there is much more to the journey.

Not to mention they introduced those ultra Fiends with Adlet's flashback. You don't set that up without a payoff.

Well that's because the show is focusing on that for now. They do have to get out of the jungle area at some point and unless the novels/anime are planning on having an offscreen conclusion (in that the Demon God is defeated offscreen), I imagine there is much more to the journey.

Not to mention they introduced those ultra Fiends with Adlet's flashback. You don't set that up without a payoff.
Or perhaps the primary antagonist will remain the traitor even after the person is unveiled. I think it would be stranger if all the stuff they've been setting up was wiped clean once they know who the false brave is. And yeah, they've set up some other future antagonists in flashbacks and via Fremy's history.

kewlmyc

Considering the ugly CG that the fiends have, do people really want to go back to that? The show is more interesting now that it was originally.

Plus if we get a 2nd season, we'll see plenty fiend fighting if they cover the 2nd and 3rd volume.

JulianImp

None of that has ever happened.

Which is what makes me interested in the show in the first place. Demon Gods are on the list of most generic anime antagonists ever, so I'd rather watch a show about "spot the mole" than see them ever get back to banquishing crappy CG monsters and some Demon God.

It would've been cool if the writers added more mesoamerican touches to the lore, but as it is it sounds like your generic JRPG lore dressed up in a mesoamerican-ish setting, which is one of the things that made me feel like dropping the show in the first place... well that on top of the fact that the main cast looks absurdly out of place in such a setting in the first place.

Which is what makes me interested in the show in the first place. Demon Gods are on the list of most generic anime antagonists ever, so I'd rather watch a show about "spot the mole" than see them ever get back to banquishing crappy CG monsters and some Demon God.

It would've been cool if the writers added more mesoamerican touches to the lore, but as it is it sounds like your generic JRPG lore dressed up in a mesoamerican-ish setting, which is one of the things that made me feel like dropping the show in the first place (on top of the fact that the main cast looks absurdly out of place in such a setting in the first place).

They don't really spend much time on developing the setting. Hell most of the series has taken place in one location, an isolated jungle temple.

PK Gaming

Renton is great because he captures the naivete of being a kid, while growing into an adult, and being stuck being childlike anxiety while dealing with very adult problems.

You know, there seems to be an annoying trend in culture today, where people expect characters to always be likable. If a character becomes unlikable then it's common to hear people say that character is a poorly written character.

But some of the greatest characters of all time, not just in anime, have been unlikable in many regards.

I don't consider Guts likable, but he's a very cool and interesting character.

I dunno, Guts is pretty damn likeable. The guy goes through so much shit throughout the course of the series, it's difficult not to root for him.

I dunno, Guts is pretty damn likeable. The guy goes through so much shit throughout the course of the series, it's difficult not to root for him.

But he does a lot of really terrible things too.

I mean, he flat out murders a kid who is totally innocent. Sure he suffers for it, but that doesn't swing him back to "good" territory for me.

Ascheroth

Considering the ugly CG that the fiends have, do people really want to go back to that? The show is more interesting now that it was originally.

Plus if we get a 2nd season, we'll see plenty fiend fighting if they cover the 2nd and 3rd volume.

This. I don't care one bit about another generic "Group of heroes have to fight the Demon Lord/God/King/Whatever"-story. The mystery makes it infinitely more interesting and also has the nice bonus of sparing us from crappy CGI overexposure.
Yes, I'm also pretty sure there will be stuff after this mystery that has more to do with the Fiends, but at this point I'm also willing to trust the author that it won't just devolve into said generic "heroes vs. evil" plot.

Mandelbo

Umaru 04

Sylphy is the secret best character - it is her job to act smug, be bombastic and say "desu-wa" whenever the situation calls for it. She's a supremely silly character and I can respect that.

JulianImp

They don't really spend much time on developing the setting. Hell most of the series has taken place in one location, an isolated jungle temple.

That's okay since it looks like their current focus is on finding the imposter, but I'm hoping the mesoamerican setting gets elaborated on some more once this arc is over. It being just a generic RPG setting with paper-thin mesoamerican looks would be a real waste of the setting's potential, IMO.

Jarmel

Banned
As weird as it is to say this about a show containing surfing mechs and aliens, but much of Eureka 7's character-work is oriented around doing a more realistic version of Gundam. Child abuse is treated in a much more serious manner compared to 079 and Zeta and Renton's response to that, among other things, is a more realistic take on it.

Look at Anemone and compare her to Four in Zeta.

I mean, he flat out murders a kid who is totally innocent. Sure he suffers for it, but that doesn't swing him back to "good" territory for me.

I'd say Guts is very likeable, at least as the story progresses. He's definitely no saint, but as you grow to know him, how he became the way he was, and what suffering he's gone through you definitely start to root for him. I only ever really disliked him during the first three manga volumes where he was a total dick and we knew nothing about him.

PK Gaming

For sure but...

Seeing him later go through the eclipse and basically fight a war by himself (while saving a fuckton of people in the process) makes him a super awesome character in my books.

Cornbread78

I haven't watched $hit today. If it keeps up like this at work, I'm not going to be watching much of anything... uuggh. Well, Job security is MU"CH MORE important anyhow : )

Getting closer to the "season finale". Season 2 is way better, imo. Have you watched Fate/Stay Night before this? Going in blind is better, as FSN kinda spoils some stuff.

Actually, no matter what show you watch first, you'll be spoiled about stuff in the other, but it's better not to be spoiled about Fate/Zero, since it's the better series. It's one of the few series (of any media) I recommend watching in the cronological order, instead of release order.

At the conclusion

Holy shit holy shit holy shit

I still need to watch the final episode

Fate Zero - Legit Awesome and exactly what i was look for.

Geez the story loop feels so coherent and complete. How the fuck was this a prequel? I havent seen any of Stay Night but im not sure i want to if its not up to the same standard.

It would've been cool if the writers added more mesoamerican touches to the lore, but as it is it sounds like your generic JRPG lore dressed up in a mesoamerican-ish setting, which is one of the things that made me feel like dropping the show in the first place... well that on top of the fact that the main cast looks absurdly out of place in such a setting in the first place.

The anime actually changed Rokka's setting; in the novels it's just your typical vaguely medieval European fantasy setting. So I assume the anime staff wanted to give Rokka a unique visual inspiration to make it stand out a little more, but didn't take the time to revamp the story or characters to account for the new setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom