• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 3-4

It was nice to see that the show doesn't continue to fall into the formula set by the first two episodes. No more random kidnappings and stuff. It's nice to see it move very quickly into Shirayuki taking the initiative to earn her place in the palace. Zen sure surrounds himself with weird people though. :p

I liked the scenes between Shirayuki and the kid, they're pretty cute especially when he's like "look I'm just a kid don't make a big deal out of it" lol.

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 5

I like that they finally got out of the castle for another mini-adventure of sorts. There's something about the show's staging that feels very play-like though. It's probably partly intentional, but it also feels like they're working around a pretty low budget. I would have liked to see the town that Shirayuki was visiting, but instead everything was centered around the fort with lots of samey interiors. Gets pretty noticeable after a while.

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 6-7

The glorious introduction of Prince Izana was everything I expected and more. Akira Ishida playing a DOUCHELORD prince would have been satisfying enough, but I was surprised to see that there was actual effort put into giving the character depth and having an interesting dynamic with Zen. There were also a bunch of amazing comedy faces, especially in the garden scene. I really liked the flashback too. It was nice seeing Raj again, and the scene where Shirayuki told him to be a better ruler representing her country was pretty cool. I hope it has actual repercussions later in the series, because Raj trying to be a better person sounds like a real recipe for comedy. :p

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 8

Another flashback episode fleshing out Zen's past and his relationship with those around him. That was pretty bleak by the show's standards, but it was also pretty telegraphed. I guess the only one who didn't see it coming was Zen, which reinforces how he character has come to trust those around him more, because he knows he cannot always rely on his own instincts.

-----------

General series thoughts so far:

This is a super duper oldschool shoujo type of story. It's fairy-tale-like, it gives the heroine just enough independence and drive to be a sort of role model or someone the viewer would support, but doesn't shy away from the lovey-dovey romance stuff where she still wants to be held in a prince's arms and feel wanted by someone she likes. It can be painful at times because it's so transparent about it though. Lol.

The music in the show is also very, very, good. It can be sappy as hell in terms of usage, but the violins and pianos are pure Oshima goodness. Unfortunately the backgrounds tend to stick out like a sore thumb most of the time. The CG buildings and interior layouts are the worst, because it makes everything look so cheap. The occasional painted scene with plants and flowers and grass or whatever can be nice though. They should use more of those.

Good show, and I'm glad Ando continues to show range in his directing. Part of me wonders what the show would be like if Igarashi was directing it, but honestly the rest of me doesn't care because Ando is doing a great job with it
and at least he's not working at PA Works this season.

Jarmel

Banned
Just talking about Renton made me remember how bad AO fucked him over. I still can't believe they used Holland's VA. Why? Why? Why?
The anime actually changed Rokka's setting; in the novels it's just your typical vaguely medieval European fantasy setting. So I assume the anime staff wanted to give Rokka a unique visual inspiration to make it stand out a little more, but didn't take the time to revamp the story or characters to account for the new setting.

Oh wow, didn't know that. That's a pretty big change.

At the conclusion

Holy shit holy shit holy shit

I still need to watch the final episode

Fate Zero - Legit Awesome and exactly what i was look for.

Geez the story loop feels so coherent and complete. How the fuck was this a prequel? I havent seen any of Stay Night but im not sure i want to if its not up to the same standard.

The most recent Fate/stay night is really good, IMO.

JulianImp

The anime actually changed Rokka's setting; in the novels it's just your typical vaguely medieval European fantasy setting. So I assume the anime staff wanted to give Rokka a unique visual inspiration to make it stand out a little more, but didn't take the time to revamp the story or characters to account for the new setting.

Eh... now that makes sense. I wouldn't expect the anime production team to actually redo the whole thing to fit a completely different setting and culture. No wonder it felt so tacked-in in the first couple episodes when we were most likely to see people other than the heroes.

ibyea

Banned

Wow, that's quiet a change.

Crocodile

Holy shit that explains so god damn much about the things I didn't like about the show (that weren't related to shitty CG or occasionally weak art/animation due to the crazy production schedule) O_O

Granted, I'm glad the team still made this half step as I think the show is better for it but yeah, that certainly explains why some things like the character designs and personalities for some people seem off.

sonicmj1

Geez the story loop feels so coherent and complete. How the fuck was this a prequel? I havent seen any of Stay Night but im not sure i want to if its not up to the same standard.
How much do you like stories about high school kids who don't behave like real people?

Unfortunately the backgrounds tend to stick out like a sore thumb most of the time. The CG buildings and interior layouts are the worst, because it makes everything look so cheap. The occasional painted scene with plants and flowers and grass or whatever can be nice though. They should use more of those.

In general it's much harder to make interior settings look good than it is to make natural settings look good. (Just like real life - a forest is much more pleasant to look at than a random hallway in an office building.) I've certainly seen plenty of anime where the outside backgrounds look fine while the inside backgrounds are painfully bland. Background artists have to put a lot more effort to making manmade structures stand out, and the easiest way to do that seems to be to make them grimy and somewhat run-down, as in Oshii's Patlabor/Ghost in the Shell movies or in Flowers of Evil.

Jarmel

Banned
duckroll said:
General series thoughts so far:

This is a super duper oldschool shoujo type of story. It's fairy-tale-like, it gives the heroine just enough independence and drive to be a sort of role model or someone the viewer would support, but doesn't shy away from the lovey-dovey romance stuff where she still wants to be held in a prince's arms and feel wanted by someone she likes. It can be painful at times because it's so transparent about it though. Lol.

I honestly came close to dropping it because of the sappiness. The only reason I'm continuing to watch is for asshole older brother.

Overlord 08

PjFhAjS.png

Squishy3

At the conclusion

Holy shit holy shit holy shit

I still need to watch the final episode

Fate Zero - Legit Awesome and exactly what i was look for.

There's still cool moments but there isn't as much talking about ideologies and whatnot as there is in F/Z (and what is there isn't as good as F/Z) there's nothing on the level of the talk rider, saber and gilgamesh all have fairly early in F/Z, for example.

at least it has archer

Jex

In general it's much harder to make interior settings look good than it is to make natural settings look good. (Just like real life - a forest is much more pleasant to look at than a random hallway in an office building.) I've certainly seen plenty of anime where the outside backgrounds look fine while the inside backgrounds are painfully bland. Background artists have to put a lot more effort to making manmade structures stand out, and the easiest way to do that seems to be to make them grimy and somewhat run-down, as in Oshii's Patlabor/Ghost in the Shell movies or in Flowers of Evil.
Of course, as you're no doubt aware, adding that layer of 'reality' to background art is actually incredibly time consuming which is why we see so many clean, flat and featureless backgrounds.

dan2026

Fate/Stay Night is fucking awful.

When you take out all the sex scenes all you have left is middling plot and nonsensical characters.

Theonik

When you take out all the sex scenes all you have left is middling plot and nonsensical characters.
It doesn't even have that many sex scenes and the ones it has are really bad. The middling plot and the nonsensical characters are exactly what the fanbase for it like.

The Fate series is something that I try to get into, and I just can't see why people seem to love it.

Sure it's beautiful looking. (Well, save for that one Fate series made by Deen.)

But the series just feels so damn empty. I feel like there's nothing to talk about or ponder once it's over. It's a show that I feel like I'm shrugging every minute or so that I'm watching it. Part of this has to do with the fact that I feel the shows would be so much better if they ditched the human characters.

rin-dating-shirou.jpg

I'll be honest, does anyone actually like these two fucking idiots?

kewlmyc

Well the UBW route only had one sex scene, and it was hilariously bad (they all are), so I'm glad it was written out.

Only UBW Shirou is a nonsensical character in my opinion in UBW. Everyone else works in their role and their motivations work as well. And even Shirou being nonsensical is part of his role in UBW, if that makes any sense. I guess that's one of the issues with only adapting 1 route, you miss out on all the characterization he gets in the other routes. Good thing Heaven's Feel is going to be a movie series since he gets his best characterization in that, I feel.

The Fate series is something that I try to get into, and I just can't see why people seem to love it.

Sure it's beautiful looking. (Well, save for that one Fate series made by Deen.)

But the series just feels so damn empty. I feel like there's nothing to talk about or ponder once it's over. It's a show that I feel like I'm shrugging every minute or so that I'm watching it. Part of this has to do with the fact that I feel the shows would be so much better if they ditched the human characters.

rin-dating-shirou.jpg

I'll be honest, does anyone actually like these two fucking idiots?

Rin is cool when she's not being a lovestruck teen (which I feel ufotable ramped up to 11), and Shirou relationship with Archer is the best part of UBW.

They're actually doing the Sakura route...

Christ. Probably going to be awful.

I'd rather have a sequel series 20 years later with Emiya and Rin and maybe their children.

Ascheroth

I honestly enjoyed Unlimited Blade Works, but if you're going into it with the mindset that you'll get more Fate/Zero you're probably going to be disappointed.

Anime Industry Records Double-Digit Growth in 2014.

The Association of Japanese Animations (AJA), in its annual industry report scheduled for publication on September 18, reports that the global anime industry recorded double-digit growth in 2014. The report estimates the anime market grew to a high of 1,629.6 billion yen in 2014, compared to 1,491.3 billion yen in 2013.

This figure is a measurement of market size based on the estimated amount spent in the animation and animation-related markets by consumers. The animation-related market includes the character business, which has a major leveraging effect in the industry. The AJA attributes the increase to growth in rights sales and commercialization of video distribution in China.

China saving animu.

Anime Industry Records Double-Digit Growth in 2014.

The Association of Japanese Animations (AJA), in its annual industry report scheduled for publication on September 18, reports that the global anime industry recorded double-digit growth in 2014. The report estimates the anime market grew to a high of 1,629.6 billion yen in 2014, compared to 1,491.3 billion yen in 2013.

This figure is a measurement of market size based on the estimated amount spent in the animation and animation-related markets by consumers. The animation-related market includes the character business, which has a major leveraging effect in the industry. The AJA attributes the increase to growth in rights sales and commercialization of video distribution in China.

China saving animu.
too bad everything is getting banned there now

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari ep.21
Holy shit, is it finally Suna's time? It's not the kinda girl I expected, but mayba, just maybe he's finally taking a step for himself?!

Crocodile

"Anime" based on Castlevania III in the works?

Source 1 and Source 2

I'm familiar with the Frederator animation studio but this still doesn't seem real. I don't see this mentioned on their site but maybe I'm missing something or it just hasn't been posted on their site yet?

God Eater 1-3

This is based on a PS2 game right? I never played it when it came out and I'm not really feeling anything thats going on because the story is so damn ham-fisted. It has pretty visual/animation I guess. That's about the only positive I can find in it. I dunno if I can stick around with this simply because of ufotable.

God Eater 1-3

This is based on a PS2 game right? I never played it when it came out and I'm not really feeling anything thats going on because the story is so damn ham-fisted. It has pretty visual/animation I guess. That's about the only positive I can find in it. I dunno if I can stick around with this simply because of ufotable.

It's based off a psp or vita game I believe. And at this point I'm sticking with it because everything else outside of plot and characters is decent, and I'm only wasting like 20 minutes every 2-3 weeks

Gvitor

Yeah, FSN isn't really good. It does have some good scenes, and I enjoyed the first half way more than the second, even though it's slower. I particularly liked that the "season finale" had 40min and was hoping they'd do that again in the actual ending, but didn't. Well, that was probably for the best, since the ending got really nonsensical.

The fights and animation are still good (even though they talked way more during fights). The writing is bad, but the characters imo are the biggest problem. In Fate/Zero, you could genuinely root for 3, maybe 4 masters. Hell, if you push it you could even root for
Tokiomi and Kotomine
. I couldn't care less about the masters in FSN.

And god, the final episodes... I still can't get over the
Shirou x Archer and Shirou x Gilgamesh
fights. I dunno if the VN explain this is more detail (probably not), but the whole
Shirou power-up thing is just awful. And IIRC it only happened for the Gilgamesh fight, he "won" against Archer on his own. Archer had a bazillion opportunities to kill him and didn't do so. Hell, Gilgamesh had just as many chances. And the ending with Archer pushing Gilgamesh into that vortex was just what. Just die, man. Don't come back from the grave to ruin other people's (even though it still kinda his) fights.

"Anime" based on Castlevania III in the works?

Source 1 and Source 2

I'm familiar with the Frederator animation studio but this still doesn't seem real. I don't see this mentioned on their site but maybe I'm missing something or it just hasn't been posted on their site yet?

Frederator is Fairly Odd Parents, Adventure Time and some other things, I think. Edit: woops you said you were familiar

But why CastleVania III? I mean I like that game and it's hard as balls but I dunno, sounds iffy. It wouldn't be the first choice I would make for a cartoon. Or the second. Or third, or fourth.

Sterok

Umaru 8

Sylphyn knows how to celebrate the New Year. Taihei needs to catch a clue someday. Maybe when Umaru isn't taking up all of his non-working life.

But he does a lot of really terrible things too.

I mean, he flat out murders a kid who is totally innocent. Sure he suffers for it, but that doesn't swing him back to "good" territory for me.

I think you're confusing 'likable' with black/white morality and being a saint. This is a dark fantasy story. Guts is human. he grows, makes mistakes, makes friends, falls in love
loses friends and his loved one
, and has an extremely fucked up childhood involving
rape
. And the worst thing he did was a complete mistake that he felt horrible about

He is extremely likable, especially if you keep reading the manga where
he bonds with a new daughter figure
. What he did at the time was part of his mission. No character is a saint in this tale. This is a similar argument to Jaime Lannister in A Song of Ice and Fire. With limited information you only look at superficial things to base your opinion of a character.

JulianImp

I just watched this episode and I don't know what to think after that ending, like, did they seriously went that route or is it one of those vague endings that are supposed to make you feel confused?

original.gif

I'd like to think that Koyomi wouldn't go that far, but I could easily see him and Karen making mutual toothbrushing part of their daily routines after that.

Rest assured that the show was at its lewdest right there and it drops off really fast after that one scene. It doesn't stop me from recommending the series to just about anyone, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom