• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

a Lull in the Sea ep.4-6
This anime is so beautiful to watch. The animation and colors are simply amazing. The story is a lot more drama driven than I thought it would be though. You can already see the ships that should be, but also, the ones that will actually take place and destroy everything between the friends as well as lose another possible mate to continue growing the bloodlines of those living under the sea. All the girls keep falling for shore men and it's going to keep destroyin their race. The live in God already knew Akira was going to leave, but he already foreshadowed Hikari's girl as well.. There is a lot more drama coming, uggh.

VRMN

a Lull in the Sea ep.4-6
This anime is so beautiful to watch. The animation and colors are simply amazing. The story is a lot more drama driven than I thought it would be though. You can already see the ships that should be, but also, the ones that will actually take place and destroy everything between the friends as well as lose another possible mate to continue growing the bloodlines of those living under the sea. All the girls keep falling for shore men and it's going to keep destroyin their race. The live in God already knew Akira was going to leave, but he already foreshadowed Hikari's girl as well.. There is a lot more drama coming, uggh.

You haven't seen anything yet. My favorite show from last year; really good series.

a Lull in the Sea ep.4-6

Yeah I really enjoyed watching this show too. Probably the most vibrant visuals I've seen in a modern anime due in part to the use of such an amazing setting.

Kansoku

Umaru 8

Pre-ending was meh. Post-ending though? Ladies and Gentleman, it seems like we've got ourselves a Best Girl™ right here.

Miss Monochrome 1-4

Possibly the closest we've gotten to actually having a Vocaloid anime. It's a four minute anime so an episodes gags usually revolve around 1 theme. Overall, It's pretty decent. The fact that it's only 4 minutes per episode means it won't overstay it's welcome.

Tokyo Ghoul 1-3

Honestly I'm not sure about what to think of this so far. The premise and setting is interesting enough but I find the MC to be a tad too whiny right now nor do I find any of the other characters to be that interesting so far. It also feels kinda rushed at times. Does it get better as it goes on or should I put off watching it for now or even drop it to save my time?

Tokyo Ghoul 1-3
Honestly I'm not sure about what to think of this so far. The premise and setting is interesting enough but I find the MC to be a tad too whiny right now nor do I find any of the other characters to be that interesting so far. It also feels kinda rushed at times. Does it get better as it goes on or should I put off watching it for now or even drop it to save my time?

If you are interested I would read the manga.

Kaneki does get less whiny but I really wouldn't call that progression a positive. That's just me.

JulianImp

Oreimo - EP 12

Okay, so Saori's character development resulted in her eventually devolving into a generic ojou and she also got aboard the Kyousuke harem... it feels like a waste of a potentially good character, and I would've liked her a lot better if only she hadn't gone full ojou mode (on top of barely making cameos most of the time, so the personality change felt a bit too out of the blue). Kanako also became little more than yet another character who was after him, learning how to cook from Manami for his sake... ugh.

I never liked Ayase and always hoped she'd get some more character development, so I was looking forward to what'd happen with her this episode. In the end, all I got was the "twist" that she actually loved him all along, only she was yandere for him (yet another character archetype I tend to hate... unless it's Shimoneta's Anna).

Looks like I was wrong about EP12 being the final one, but judging from the preview image it looks like it's just going to be about Kyousuke and Kirino back when they were children, so most of the cast besides Manami will probably be missing, sadly.

If I had to choose a part from S1 it'd be most of it until the cast becomes stable, since up to that point you could still see Kirino struggling to fit among her different groups of friends and acquaintances while Kyousuke tries his best to help her. For S2, Kuroneko's arc has been the absolute best so far (and I don't think EP13 will change this), even though it was what brought about the imoutocalypse in later episodes. She was the one character that felt the closest to an equal to Kyousuke in their give-and-take relationship, unlike Kirino, Ayase and Kanako (who always bossed him around) or Saori and Manami (who were always looking out for him).

<3

Russ T

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul 1-3

It gets worse and then it gets better and then it gets worse again in square-root-A (why japan why these names). I really wanted it to be good, so I kept watching, but ugh by the end I regretted every moment.

I have heard the manga is unequivocally better?

Hyoukokun

Just got myself caught up on Ushio and Tora. It's been a while since I've enjoyed anything as straight-up episodic / shounen as this, but the main plot is starting to kick off and the monster designs are on point.
Fusuma
in the latest episode is particularly great.

Mailbox

I just watched this episode and I don't know what to think after that ending, like, did they seriously went that route or is it one of those vague endings that are supposed to make you feel confused?

IIRC theres a reference in a later episode that Koyomi is still a virgin.

Didn't know they changed Rokka's background in the anime so heavily.

I definitely noticed the Mayan/ancient architecture and really liked it a lot as it's something you don't see often (or at all).

A standard European fantasy setting actually would have been a bit lame after having seen what they've done with the anime so far.

Cornbread78

Yeah I really enjoyed watching this show too. Probably the most vibrant visuals I've seen in a modern anime due in part to the use of such an amazing setting.

Yeah, the BD for this series must look amazing!

You haven't seen anything yet. My favorite show from last year; really good series.

Great... I'm not sure how I feel about the drama just yet because it almost feels forced right. It's all based off of everyone's insecurities and misunderstandings; damn coming of age stuff, lol. It's almost frustrating and I usually have no problems with drama at all. Thinking about things, it might just be the angst and tone right now that off a little. Even with that, I'm still enjoying it. Maybe it's only because I know they are going to fuck with the ship I wanna see... Oh and the MC needs to stop being a douche, he's killing it himself, lol.

Didn't know they changed Rokka's background in the anime so heavily.

I definitely noticed the Mayan/ancient architecture and really liked it a lot as it's something you don't see often (or at all).

A standard European fantasy setting actually would have been a bit lame after having seen what they've done with the anime so far.

I mean, it doesn't really matter since the vast majority of the light novels is spent in the demon country where any ordinary human dies very quickly (unless they've been given parasitic demons or some shit like that)

Tokyo Ghoul 1-3

I wanna say I liked the first season.... Kinda of. But JESUS fucking Christ the second season is really crappy, perhaps even unwatchable. I've read the Manga for Tokyo Ghoul and I liked it a lot better than the anime.

JulianImp

Oreimo SD - EP 13 (end)

I wasn't expecting much from this episode, but it was actually a really nice way to wrap up the anime. While the audience already knew that Kyousuke didn't try as hard (and often praised Kirino for how she pulled all the stops whenever she had a clear objective), it was interesting to see that the thing that spawned her overly harsh and aggressive personality was the moment when she finally demistified her older brother as an awesome guy who could do it all.

Still, this episode would've probably worked better if it was shown during the start or middle of S2 and it wasn't just Kirino's introspection but rather her telling her story to somebody else, which could've resulted in further character development for her. As it is, it was a nice touch but I'm salty that they saved it for the end and chose to give us 99% tsun, 1% dere Kirino for 24 whole episodes.

The way the show shifted its focus away from Kirino's socially reprehensible hobby fairly early on was also a bit sad, since she stopped having problems with anyone after Gendo raged at Kyousuke a couple times and Ayase finally got over her best friend being a siscon eroge maniac. I didn't care about having drama for it's own sake (ie: no classroom finding about her hobby and ostracising her), but I kind of liked the initial tension that rose from being spotted by her model friend while she was in full otaku mode visiting the summer comiket.

Final verdict: &#12464;&#12483;&#12489;&#65281; It never delved too far into siscon territory and had a decent pacing and supporting cast, even if the MC had little to no character development besides (reluctantly) admitting her love for her older brother while continuing to be a full-on tsundere.

Character poll: Kuroneko >>>>>>>> Saori (pre ojou-mode) > Kirino > Ayase >>>> Gendo > Kanako > Manami

Defuser

It gets worse and then it gets better and then it gets worse again in square-root-A (why japan why these names). I really wanted it to be good, so I kept watching, but ugh by the end I regretted every moment.

It's a damn pun of words Route A. Like how games have branching paths Routh A or Route B.

Route A is the anime. Then Route B would be the manga.

If you are interested I would read the manga.

Kaneki does get less whiny but I really wouldn't call that progression a positive. That's just me.

I wanna say I liked the first season.... Kinda of. But JESUS fucking Christ the second season is really crappy, perhaps even unwatchable. I've read the Manga for Tokyo Ghoul and I liked it a lot better than the anime.

Sounds like I should just read the manga if I want to continue on with Tokyo Ghoul. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cornbread78

Damn, Kaisei was hinting at some omnious acts coming up. I'm guessing that the douchebag brothers are going to help that guy from the Friday Fellows and Benten catch one of the brothers (the one running for election) so the they can be cooked in the hot pot. That whole scene was pretty damning and she definitely knows what's up, but didn't want to admit it in the baths.

I too agree that the manga is the way to go. Season 2 of the anime adaptation just totally butchered it. It is pretty well known though, wouldn't surprise me if the sequel to the manga, Tokyo Ghoul :Re, got an anime.

Jarmel

Banned
Akagami no Shirayukihime-8

Shirayuki is the worst part of this quite frankly. I find the story elements digging into the royalty to be much more interesting material. Her fawning over Zen is a bit irritating but she's fine when she's working. The chemistry they have is so sentimental that I find myself groaning at parts such as when she defends Zen being a prince.
oSZNYhu.jpg
That said, I thought the conclusion of the episode was done really well on a storyboarding level. It was probably the best the show has been as there were tons of visual symbolism. For example the above shot focused on the royal crest to show that Zen still highly regarded his family. In addition the crest is on his sword which reaffirms his determination.
This was a cool ending sequence as it showed how the decisions of being a prince can lead to bloodshed and that just by nature of being a prince means you have blood on your hands. It was a good way of solidifying the seriousness of the job and the danger. The smash cut also served as a form of finality and that Mitsuhide's period of naivety is over.

I wonder if Akagami no Shirayukihime is gonna get a Bone's ending...

....Do you think Shirayuki will unleash her secret super dragon form in the final episode?

I wonder if Akagami no Shirayukihime is gonna get a Bone's ending...

....Do you think Shirayuki will unleash her secret super dragon form in the final episode?
It has a second season slated for 2016. So if you do it'll only be then, along with any romantic advancements other than the usual hug and holding hands.

Jokes aside I am still watching the show. It can get very melodramatic at times, but I still like it for what it is. Someone said this before and I think they were right, it's a comfy show.

Hyouka - 12

So the revered school festival arc begins. And I gotta say, you guys weren't kidding.

KyoAni went freaking overboard with how much detail that went into this thing. The dancers, the decorations, there were just so many little tidbits here and there that just added so much freaking life into this episode.

Usually when this sort of thing happens in a high school anime you get only bits and pieces of the actual festival while the rest of the screen time is saved for the MC waifuing it up with his harem or something like that.

Here, oh man. This just goes to show how much the little details can really add to a show like this. There's just so much energy here that you really don't find in many other anime with a high school setting.

This is going to be a good arc.

*browsing through Funimation's shows, trying to find something to watch, comes across Romeo x Juliet, watches a few episodes*

rxj_by_temari_fox.jpg

tumblr_mfrrxxJ4Tm1rkrs8no1_500.gif

This is good? Why is this good? The romance, art, and music are really of surprising quality. Also, Juliet is a warrior, Lord Montague is a huge dictator who seized power through spilling blood, and Shakespeare is actually in it, and they make fun of him.

kewlmyc

*browsing through Funimation's shows, trying to find something to watch, comes across Romeo x Juliet, watches a few episodes*

rxj_by_temari_fox.jpg

tumblr_mfrrxxJ4Tm1rkrs8no1_500.gif

This is good? Why is this good? The romance, art, and music are really of surprising quality. Also, Juliet is a warrior, Lord Montague is a huge dictator who seized power through spilling blood, and Shakespeare is actually in it, and they make fun of him.

Does this actually follow the Romeo and Juliet story?

Thoraxes

FYI to anyone who ordered it, my Persona 4 Animation Collector's Edition just got charged today, so be on the lookout for shipping notifications tomorrow.

Basically the story so far is similar love wise. Romeo and Juliet can't be together because of their families.

The difference being that the Capulets were more or less the rightful airs of the city of Neo Verona, till Lord Montague basically killed everyone but Juliet, and seized power. Now, people more or less want to overthrow Montague using Juliet as a symbol for their cause.

latest

Also, Juliet starts out as a Robin Hood-esque figure called the Red Whirlwind.

So yeah, it takes some liberties.

Edit: I just realized I'm probably posting too many pics, and I'm probably strangling some users internet when they come to this page with all of them. Sorry bout that.

Mailbox

i've been wanting to watch romeo x juliet for some time now, and I'm gonna right after i'm done the last few episodes of my current binge.

that and Gankutsuou.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul 1-3

It remains rushed but the second half of the first season is better. Second season is an atrocity.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Umaru 04

Sylphy is the secret best character - it is her job to act smug, be bombastic and say "desu-wa" whenever the situation calls for it. She's a supremely silly character and I can respect that.
She's not the secret anything. Sylphinford is the most popular character.

Ascheroth

Tokyo Ghoul 1-3

I liked the first and last episode of season 1. Otherwise it's just a complete rushjob. I dropped season 2 after they completely destroyed the Ayato fight and it seems it was the right decision.
Just read the manga, it's infinitely better.

Rokka 08
Hans and Adlet make a good
investigation team, glad they straightened things out.
What the fuck is up with Chamot though. Red flags all over this crazy kid. Stay the hell away from her.

I think the 7th is
Maura tbh. Ever since she asked Hans to show her his own seal instead of checking her own, I've been noticing some weird things that she says. Like trying to convince Flamie to kill Adlet this episode. Idk...

This is super late because I just binge-watched all the Rokka episodes, but
Mora can't exactly check her own sign, considering that hers is on her back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom