• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

Maze Runner 2 The Scorch Trials

Pretty good movie. I hear that the books came before The Hunger Games, but I still couldn't help but feel like the first movie was very close to HG in concept. This one changed it all up, and was actually pretty good. Half price Tuesday, VIP tickets, totally worth it.

has everything become anime now?

Narag

Samurai Flamenco 6
qmlt7fnl.png
Those tools were some of the goofiest shit I've seen.

Samurai Flamenco 7
Figured it'd take this turn what with all the wink wink nudge nudge stuff surrounding this ep by those in the know. It's certainly kinda crazy and would have been out of left field for anyone watching while airing but part of me wishes the initial tone could have been carried out longer even if not entirely commercially viable. Ep seemed like a perfect end of cour episode.

Samurai Flamenco 8
Unsure as to how to feel about this one but props to the show for actually touching on my concern as to how edgy episode 7 ended when 8 was dialed back considerably.

Syrinx

Gintama 3-5

I'm really not disliking this as much as I was led to believe I would based on what people have said about the first however many episodes. Not to say I'm in love with it so far, but it's...fine.

Only thing that really strikes me as concerning is the whole xenophobia angle of this alien race coming in and corrupting their society and these people fighting against them, with Gintoki's attitude seeming to be more like "Dude, it's over, let it go" more than anything else, though his bit at the end of 5 about how he used to fight for a purpose that was laid out in front of him leaves me somewhat hopeful that he's come around to whatever extent in that regard.

Anyway shit got real last episode and it got even realer this episode. Of course I don't think they're going to end it in the most bleak manner possible otherwise god damn. Oh and the OST can really be fantastic at times especially the distorted toy box theme.

It's deviated from the manga somewhat, so really it's anyone's guess how this is going to end.

Finally finished Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist

Fun show that doesn't take itself seriously. Really really lewd but in the end I really enjoyed this anime.

7.9/10

tumblr_nuwquahwKk1r2r59eo1_1280_zpshgzcu4ey.jpg

Mailbox

If wrestling is anime, anything is anime.

Ultimate Muscle?

Slice of pizza I just had

Pretty good. Not much in the way of characterization, but the combination of cheese and spinach really clicked.

Welp, that pretty much confirms it then.

Finally finished Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist

Fun show that doesn't take itself seriously. Really really lewd but in the end I really enjoyed this anime.

7.9/10

Anna is best waifu

Ok, I completely understand why we all like Anna since she practically steals the show, but lets not forget that she constantly molests and attempts to rape the main character constantly. And we see him in fear begging people to help him only for them to just say "deal with it".

the fact that we (including me to an extent) are okay with that should be a red flag

Ultimate Muscle?

Welp, that pretty much confirms it then.

Ok, I completely understand why we all like Anna since she practically steals the show, but lets not forget that she constantly molests and attempts to rape the main character constantly. And we see him in fear begging people to help him only for them to just say "deal with it".

the fact that we (including me to an extent) are okay with that should be a red flag

Hmm true I haven't thought about it like that, a lot of anime I watch ends up having me turning off my brain to the ridiculousness of it all but I agree with your point.

Gintama 3-5

I'm really not disliking this as much as I was led to believe I would based on what people have said about the first however many episodes. Not to say I'm in love with it so far, but it's...fine.

Only thing that really strikes me as concerning is the whole xenophobia angle of this alien race coming in and corrupting their society and these people fighting against them, with Gintoki's attitude seeming to be more like "Dude, it's over, let it go" more than anything else, though his bit at the end of 5 about how he used to fight for a purpose that was laid out in front of him leaves me somewhat hopeful that he's come around to whatever extent in that regard.

It's not that the first 20-30 episodes are bad, they are okay/somewhat good in terms of anime. It's only when you compare them to later episodes, would someone call the early ones bad. It took Sorachi awhile before he figured out exactly what he wanted Gintama to be.

Well basically everyone outside Nazarick is pretty low level. They were struggling against the giant hamster for Christ's sake. The only tough guys were Clementine, the other dude and the Angel they had summoned in the first part. If I had to guess, they were in 40-60 level range. Nazarick would be mostly like lvl 80 -90 or so and Ains is lvl 100 with really good equipment and Shalltear is probably like mid-low 90s

Much of that has to do with how levels usually work in MMOs, methinks. Dr. Skelly was/is a capped PC, lv.100, and is capable of casting lv 10 and those 'super' spells. The current world thinks lv 7 spells are divine and lv 8s are stuff of mythology. Usually, a level difference of 10+ in MMOs means that you're helpless against the other party, not matter what you do. A level 100 mage would generally be able to beat a lv 80- fighter to death using only auto attack. For all her shit talk, Clementine should be considered a lv 40-50 entity at best and she was apparently one of the best the world had to offer.

Shalltear is bad news because she is a decent caster and clearly a physical powerhouse, wearing some quite spiffy armor and equipped with a HP draining weapon. In a 1-1 PvP scenario, that is some serious shit to deal with no matter what the setting is. Considering Aura and Mare had no trouble dispatching a fire elemental that was "in the upper 80s", it's pretty safe to say that the guardians are lv 90+ mobs and can, within reason, threaten level capped PCs. If they couldn't, their role as guardians would make no sense.

Ah, that makes a good deal of sense. Thanks for that.

Mailbox

I do hope they make a sequel.
I think the mothers arc would work really well animated :)

edit: its about a week until next anime season (and next thread),

we should probably come up with names for that thread. (I still need more time to think though)

Overlord 12

I'm...confused. I feel like I missed something.

I know that Skeletor is in a disadvantage towards an apparently Holy vampire who relies on physical skills but...I'm not sure I understand why she's so dangerous. Since he's one of the Supreme Beings who created the NPCs that serve him how can they even get close to being as strong as a Supreme Being?

Yes. Both are level 100.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shimoneta end
Better than i expected. The final episode feel like an extra since the previous episode have better climax. One of those anime that you think going to be suck, but it actually got something to say despite all that penis and masturbation joke. And there's Anna 'rainbow nectar of love' Nishinomiya. She's loco

Fafner: Dead Aggressor 10-26 (End)

Quite enjoyable. As a mecha series, it doesn't really do much on that end, but the focus on character and familial relationships was interesting to watch. The story itself never does a straight exposition or infodump of the setting until about halfway through, but there's usually enough context to figure out what is going on and makes things fun to figure out. Large cast also allowed a lot of different perspectives to be shown, and allowed plenty of room for suffering and death so things never got too boring. Rough start, but after a few episodes, then became really entertaining by the end of it.

Just the prequel OVA, movie, and first half of season 2 before next week then.

phaze

Samurai Flamenco 08-09
So now they can casually fight the monsters just with their own strength ? Okay.
Or were the monsters jobbing on purpose ?

Ishihara&Konno stuff notwithstanding, this was bad and boring but then Mr Torture shook up things a little so I guess I'll stay with this this a bit longer.

Mawaru Penguindrum 19
WHAT

Like, I was already in full shock state after the reveal that Himari is apparently not their true sister but after that, I was 120 % sure it was Kanba who took her out of that weird ass child broiler thing. Shouma so far has mostly been a wet noodle of a character, so I really didn't expect this at all.
No clue where this is going now.

Overlord 12
/tar Shalltear
/focus
/script SetRaidTarget("focus", 1)

#showtooltip
/castsequence [target=player] reset=nocombat Fly ,Bless of Magic Caster, Infinity Wall, Magic Ward: Holy, Life Essence, Greater Full Potential, Freedom, False Data: Life, See Through, Paranormal Intuition, Greater Resistance, Mantle of Chaos, Indomitably, Sensor Boost, Greater Luck, Magic Boost, Draconic Power, Greater Hardening, Heavenly Aura, Absorption, Penetrate Up, Greater Magic Shield, Mana Essence

/cast Triplet Maximize Magic: Explode Mine

/cast Triplet Magic: Greater Magic Seal

/cast Triplet Maximize Boosted Magic: Magic Arrow

/dbm pull 5

fun episode. Can't wait for next week where he
rekt shit

Sölf

Overlord 12
/tar Shalltear
/focus
/script SetRaidTarget("focus", 1)

#showtooltip
/castsequence [target=player] reset=nocombat Fly ,Bless of Magic Caster, Infinity Wall, Magic Ward: Holy, Life Essence, Greater Full Potential, Freedom, False Data: Life, See Through, Paranormal Intuition, Greater Resistance, Mantle of Chaos, Indomitably, Sensor Boost, Greater Luck, Magic Boost, Draconic Power, Greater Hardening, Heavenly Aura, Absorption, Penetrate Up, Greater Magic Shield, Mana Essence

/cast Triplet Maximize Magic: Explode Mine

/cast Triplet Magic: Greater Magic Seal

/cast Triplet Maximize Boosted Magic: Magic Arrow

/dbm pull 5

fun episode. Can't wait for next week where he
rekt shit

Again I realize I suckt at macros. D:
And that's still basic stuff.

Mandelbo

phaze, thanks to you I'm now starting up Penguindrum. Congratulations.

Penguindrum 01

This was a bit weird. The presentation is very pleasant, with lots of bright, saturated colours, serving as a great contrast to the subject matter! This is gonna go places, isn't it?

Ascheroth

Overlord 10-12

Watching those episodes back to back was pretty great. Especially episode 9 aka Shalltear wrecking everything - the episode. Was honestly surprised when the episode ended, because it felt like I'd just started watching a few minutes ago.
Pandoras Actor and Momongas emberassment was hilarious to watch.
The fight against Shalltear was pretty nice, but the bombardment of bad Engrish skill names was something else, lol.

Regarding the power levels, I remember from the novels (haven't read this current arc tough) that all the guardians are level 100 as well, so it makes sense Shalltear can fight Momonga on equal grounds considering her abilities are a really bad match for him.

Ah, that makes a good deal of sense. Thanks for that.
The show seems to have expected everybody to know mmo mechanics. I understood the basic concept that she's a tough npc meant to give problems to fighters 1v1 if they threatened the guild. But why anybody in the guild would create a subordinate that could possibly best the guild leader is beyond me. They should have given her a weakness only they knew they could exploit if necessary.

Also if she's the strongest why isn't she the leader of the guardians?

Quasar

Shimoneta end
Better than i expected. The final episode feel like an extra since the previous episode have better climax. One of those anime that you think going to be suck, but it actually got something to say despite all that penis and masturbation joke. And there's Anna 'rainbow nectar of love' Nishinomiya. She's loco

I wonder where the books have gone given its pretty unlikely we'll get more anime. Or have they burned through the 9 volumes already?

L.O.R.D

Overlord 12

well , this episode was AMAZING , i really liked it
i was shocked when it ended like that , i thought its only 12 episodes

Body of Effulgent Beryl
Fly
Bless of magic caster
Infinity Wall
Magic Ward, Holy
Life Essence
Greater Full Potential
Freedon
False Data, Life
See Throught
Paranormal Intuition
Greater Resistance
Mantel of Chaos
Indomitability
Sensor Boost
Greater Luck
Magic Boost
Dragonic Power
Greater Hardening
Heavenly Aura
Absorption
Penetrate Up
Greater Magic Shield
Mana Essence
Triplet Maximize Magic, Explode Mine
Triplet Maximize Magic, Greater Magic Seal
Triplet Maximize Boosted Magic, Magic Arrow

Delay Teleportation
Drifting Master Mine
Maximize Magic, Astral Smite
Maximize Magic, Thousand Bone Lance
Maximize Magic, Reality Slash
Triplet Maximize Magic, Call Greater Thunder
Maximize Magic, True Dark
Shark Cyclone
Wall of Skeleton
Triplet Maximize Magic, Reality Slash
Skill, The Goal of All Life is Death
Widen Magic, Cry of the Banshee

SUPER TIER MAGIC, FALLEN DOWN!!!

7nZ3jsk.jpg

D2HHv8H.jpg

and that legit female armor , a legit female armor in an MMO RPG

tumblr_nv385j58QZ1s307p6o1_500.gif

yDfDXT7.png

Baalzebup

The show seems to have expected everybody to know mmo mechanics. I understood the basic concept that she's a tough npc meant to give problems to fighters 1v1 if they threatened the guild. But why anybody in the guild would create a subordinate that could possibly best the guild leader is beyond me. They should have given her a weakness only they knew they could exploit if necessary.

Also if she's the strongest why isn't she the leader of the guardians?

Ass-kicking =/= leadership. Shalltear seems to have a bit of a berserking problem when she really gets going based on ep 10. I think she wouldn't make for a good leader. Albedo seems pretty cool and collected when her specie-ism or Momongamania don't override her good sense.

Momonga himself also said that he was more of an administrator, rather than actually being the strongest person around when it comes to the guild of old. The fact that the NPCs gained actual sentience only when the shift to the current world happened is also a factor. I doubt that the players had any need to consider them as any kind of a potential threat when the guardians and other crafted NPCs were created. They were, after all, an active and apparently really successful PvP guild at the time. Crushing a hijacked bot or two would be a non-issue and Shalltear in particular was supposed to be very difficult to mind control due to her being a high tier vampire. It did take a World Class item to snag her, after all, and the crazies at Nazarick seem to have a whole bunch of them as well.

Overlord 12
and that legit female armor , a legit female armor in an MMO RPG

Yup, that armor is a really good example of how cool female heavy armor should look like. Overall, the whole vampire-valkyria theme is a pretty dang good.

phaze

phaze, thanks to you I'm now starting up Penguindrum. Congratulations.

Penguindrum 01

This was a bit weird. The presentation is very pleasant, with lots of bright, saturated colours, serving as a great contrast to the subject matter! This is gonna go places, isn't it?

Wow, my shilling worked before I even started it in earnest ! ;P

Weird is the name of the game with this one, hope you enjoy it as much as I do !

Yamishibai S2

Prep time for Kagewani and Kowabon. For some reason I watched S2 first. I remember reading it was the much weaker one. More misses than hits and overly reliant on jumpscares for the latter but still the most scary anime that I've seen. Probably cause it's my first "proper" animated horror.

blurr

Episode 7 Hyouka

Gotta love how elegantly this show handles itself. This episode reminded me of remote island syndrome in Suzumiya Haruhi series.

Maze Runner 2 The Scorch Trials

Pretty good movie. I hear that the books came before The Hunger Games, but I still couldn't help but feel like the first movie was very close to HG in concept. This one changed it all up, and was actually pretty good. Half price Tuesday, VIP tickets, totally worth it.

Newt is still best maze runner husbando, but also Aris. Maze Runner franchise is one of the best.

Also please see Divergent series, so cant wait for the new one.

Both make hunger games seem so boring. Katniss-esque leads are the worst things in all media.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gate 1-7

Yup, weird Japanese racism is back! Of course, Japan other than one angry lady in the Diet (who isn't even evil, she is just anti-JDSF for personal reasons), is super pacifist and peaceful and how all the other countries are basically just evil. The Chinese guy wanting to resettle his entire population in Fantasy World is hilarious because that's exactly how I imagine that Japanese right-wing politicians think of China. Although I wouldn't actually be surprised if the GOP would be down to pillage fantasy world for oil if possible.

That said, its not a bad series, I'm glad for once its not "modern guy gets stuck in fantasy world." I'm curious if the mage-girl can use her magic in Japan. I doubt it but I don't think they addressed that. Or even asked what the fuck was up with Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom